• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
If it ends up being frickin' Spring Man, I will be beyond disappointed..if they were going to do this whole secretive 'An ARMS rep..but we won't tell you who~' thing only to go with the obvious pick of 'main' character, its like..why even make it a big secret if that's how you were going to do it?
This is Nintendo—they make confusing, marketing decisions like this quite a lot, and have done so even with Smash marketing. It’s why I expected Spring Man to have a far better chance despite the tease. I felt the way they did it in the mini was bizarre as it was.

I feel like this doesn’t stop speculation completely, though. I doubt Nate would have said anything if he didn’t have multiple ways of viewing what he said. Answers to the gender question that would make it obvious is “male” (making it likely Spring Man) and “both” (making multiple characters likely). If I had to guess, I think it’s Spring Man, but I’ll be happy either way.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
IS THIS THE REEEAAAL LIIIIIFE?

IS IT JUST FANTASYYYYY?

CAUGHT IN A LAAANDSLIIIIIDE

NO ESCAPE FROM REAALITYYYY

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Its Spring Man and Cinderace up next, along with an entire 1st Party pass, no internet breakers whatsoever. I mean, Imran himself pretty much gave it away.

There, I just saved you and everyone else here months of agony.
As someone who likes both I'd accept this.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I don't have the screenshot for this but apparently he said that he can't say the gender because that would make it too obvious. Thinking that after all this time it's actually just Springman
Of the 15 characters in ARMS, only 6 are female. So obviously, that means the character is female because if NateDrake said that, he'd be narrowing down the list too much.

My theory is infallible.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm getting the popcorn for the wars that'll erupt if it is Spring Man though.

"It was obviously always going to be Spring Man." Versus "NOOOOOO! NINTENDO WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS GUESS WHO IF IT WAS JUST GOING TO BE THE OBVIOUS CHOICE?!"

This'll be fun.

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
When on earth did Imran specifically talk about Spring Man.

Or mention Cinderace at all.
Imran has been coy numerous times within the past few months about a potentially 1st majority pass.

If thats the case, I’d say that is the most reasonable outcome we are heading towards.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

"It was obviously always going to be Spring Man." Versus "NOOOOOO! NINTENDO WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS GUESS WHO IF IT WAS JUST GOING TO BE THE OBVIOUS CHOICE?!"

This'll be fun.
Unfortunately, I'll be in the latter group.

The Waluigi fans will haunt me to no end.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Honestly, I feel like Spring Man being an AT still makes him a twist. I've seen people think it's not Spring Man because of his AT status, and not necessarily because of the guessing game.

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings

This'll be fun.
Gotta admit it would be very telling on how Nintendo thought this would go down if they made us play a Guess Who game for someone who is literally on the front box cover.

Or Ribbon Girl
Or Twintelle.

Twintelle may have a lesser of the three following, but Ribbon Girl? People were deadass making theories that rivaled stretches like Chair Theory about her.
I think Min Min is undeniably the female choice that people have talked about the most though

Shroob

Sup?
I think Min Min is undeniably the female choice that people have talked about the most though
But it's also not as one sided as Male is.

I can name 3 ARMs females who have had serious discussion.

Ain't no one focusing on any guys outside of Spring Man, unless you were memeing on 4chan about Max Brass.

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Tbh, I just want Spring Man to be leaked/revealed already. That why, I can finally accept that all of my MWs are out of the running and I could stop caring for good about speculation.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Ain't no one focusing on any guys outside of Spring Man, unless you were memeing on 4chan about Max Brass.
Ninjara got some talk too.

He's the most popular character by number of players.

I agree Spring Man is THE obvious choice for male, and I’m not saying people haven’t heavily discussed Ribbon Girl and Twintelle. Just saying that Min Min has been the MOST discussed female choice. If he were to say it was a female, I think most people would assume it’s Min Min

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Even if saying the gender is female doesn't narrow it down to just one character... that's still only three very likely candidates (Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Twintelle), with only three more that aren't as likely but still possible (Lola Pop, Mechanica, Dr. Coyle).

IS THIS THE REEEAAAL LIIIIFFFEE?

IS IT JUST FANTASYYYYY?

CAUGHT IN A LAAANDSLIIIDDE

NO ESCAPE FROM REAALITYYYY
Open your eyes. Look up to the skies and see...
HE'S THE LEADER OF THE BUNCH! YOU KNOW HIM WELL...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Alright since we seem so close to reveal, I'm going to start placing my bets.

The character is absolutely Helix. If he's not revealed by the end of the month, I will ingest a dose of dihydrogen monoxide. That's how confident I am in his reveal.

Shroob

Sup?
As for Smash though, at this point I'm kinda not expecting it until the 29th/30th outside of a shadow drop.

Nintendo seems to be in no rush to reveal this character.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I still think people look at this whole ARMs debacle way too deeply and deem **** as "obvious".

Over 15 million copies of Smash Ultimate have sold, and I'd wager only a fraction of those players give a damn about speculating who the next character is.

Honestly, I do think Spring Man would take the average player by shock since, "He's an Assist Trophy", that kind of **** has never happened before in the series history, being promoted to playable from Assist in the same game.

Is it "boring", I mean, sure, I guess, but 'obvious'? Hell no, Springman has a mountain that few have climbed in his path, one that no one's ever vaulted in the same game.

tl;dr: Y'all complaining about Springman being lame cause he's obvious is silly.
You think the average player subscribes to speculation rules, let alone something as specific as "no assist trophy promotions in the same game"?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Honestly, I feel like Spring Man being an AT still makes him a twist. I've seen people think it's not Spring Man because of his AT status, and not necessarily because of the guessing game.
Aside from the "trailer not finished yet" idea, that's also possible. They're probably banking on the "casual" people dismissing Spring Man as not being it because he's already an Assist Trophy, only to go "Surprise! Assist Trophies are fair game, and Spring Man bounds into battle!"

Alright since we seem so close to reveal, I'm going to start placing my bets.

The character is absolutely Helix. If he's not revealed by the end of the month, I will ingest a dose of dihydrogen monoxide. That's how confident I am in his reveal.
My money's on Hedlok. If I'm wrong, I will film myself going to McDonalds and ordering a Big Mac... using Animal Crossing language.

Shroob

Sup?
You think the average player subscribes to speculation rules, let alone something as specific as "no assist trophy promotions in the same game"?
No, that's exactly what I'm saying in that post actually, the average player doesn't care at all about speculation, but looking at the ARMs cast, I'd wager more people would raise an eye or be surprised at Spring Man than not since they'd probably ask "Isn't he already in the game?"

It's us, the crowd online, that take this stuff way too deeply. To us, Spring Man is "Obvious, boring", to the rando at home who probably doesn't even know what a Smashboards.com is, they'd probably think "Huh, neat" or "Ok, cool."

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Just gonna put some brief thoughts out there.

IF (and that’s a decently large if) NateDrake knows who the character is and is hinting at the identity of the character...to me, it could be deduced just based on internet trends and a lot of what has been discussed.

Out of the female characters, the top three contenders are Ribbon Girl, Min Min, and Twintelle. Min Min seems to have an edge over them, but they each have gotten their share of attention. While it would be narrowed down to these three, saying, “It’s a female character” doesn’t immediately say who it is.

Out of the male characters...well, there are many male characters. However, let’s be honest here: who really gets the most attention, the most discussion, has things that line up for him? There are plenty of male characters that are just simply not happening if it’s a single character.

If you ask me, it points to Spring Man.

This is, however, assuming Nate Drake has information to suggest such a thing. While Helix wasn’t really a difficult character to disconfirm, it seems strange that someone would drop that comment and then say, “It’s not Helix” like shortly afterward. However, it doesn’t mean he knows who it is. Other “insiders” have stated they don’t know who it is, so this could all be nothing.

I don’t know when Nintendo is planning to reveal who it is. They could just be waiting for the Online Tourney to end for the reveal, but just be wary that it’s possible things could leak before then.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No, that's exactly what I'm saying in that post actually, the average player doesn't care at all about speculation, but looking at the ARMs cast, I'd wager more people would raise an eye or be surprised at Spring Man than not since they'd probably ask "Isn't he already in the game?"

It's us, the crowd online, that take this stuff way too deeply. To us, Spring Man is "Obvious, boring", to the rando at home who probably doesn't even know what a Smashboards.com is, they'd probably think "Huh, neat" or "Ok, cool."
Idk a friend of mine's played Smash casually since Melee and only learned about how Ness can recover with PK Thunder last week, I know I shouldn't use a single reference to judge casuals but he said he wouldn't be too happy if he got told it could be anyone only to go for the one they'd have gone for anyway.

Sidenote it was so ****ing fun playing with him cause we got gems like "What the **** is this Hero character doing that's crazy", "Ok, so Terry's Go means he has to 'go' **** off, understood", "Guys, I know I'm late on this, but I just noticed I'm fighting a Piranha Plant instead of Waluigi"

Shroob

Sup?
"Spring Man is obvious and boring!"

"Okay but he opens the door wide open for Assist Trophies to be promoted into playable fighters in the same game that they appear in, something that's never been done before in the series history."

"Still boring."

:mybodyisreggie:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Weird question, but is Apex Legends still a thing? It just got announced to be getting a Switch port, and while I highly doubt they'll even be CONSIDERED for Smash, I do remember it being popular for awhile, mostly because people called it a "Fortnite killer". But after some time, people just... stopped caring? Basically, I was curious about that.

Although it also brings up the question of, if EA miraculously got a rep, who would it be?
It would be Shepard, 100%. As a runner-up, maybe Isaac Clarke.
INB4 this results in another Vergeben/Sabi-style "Guess Who" game where we're repeatedly told who it isn't as opposed to who it is.
Oh man remember when every character in existence got disconfirmed?
Sabi was Nintendo all along
Of course! That's why people were saying the C&D was faked; Sabi made it because they are Nintendo!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
How credible is this NateDrake guy?

"Okay but he opens the door wide open for Assist Trophies to be promoted into playable fighters in the same game that they appear in, something that's never been done before in the series history."

"Still boring."

Then watch that Spring Man is the only one as he was considered or planned for Base Roster. :seuss:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

"Still boring."

Honestly, yes
"But Spring Man would open the path for AT promotions because it would have only been made possible by Spring Man!"

Ok then I'll be excited for the other AT promotion

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, we might have just been waiting for that Smash tournament to end.

The one that got delayed due to current events.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, yes
"But Spring Man would open the path for AT promotions because it would have only been made possible by Spring Man!"

Ok then I'll be excited for the other AT promotion
Every path needs a trailblazer, you know. Even if Spring Man is boring, which, tbfh I do agree with, it opens the door wide open for new speculation.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Listen, Spring Man isn't my preferred choice but if it means my boy Bomberman has a shot then I'll shout spring a ling all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom