• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
At the same time, any other ARMS character would be opening the door wide open by not including the mascot
Depends I feel. Min Min, Twintelle and Ribbon girl would open Spirits... and I just don't really seeing any of the others as likely candidates personally. It's a choice between AT and Spirits in the end.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Imagine if we didn't get Springman, causing everyone to double down on the assist trophy "rule", only for Waluigi to come in a later fighter pack anyway.

No offense to Springman fans, but that'd be a hilarious timeline.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
SpringMan has no bearing on what other assist trophies can get in. He could get in and be the only one, or he could get excluded only for Waluigi to be in the same pass.
It’s like how Byleth showed that first parties could get in... at the end of the first fighter pass. DLC could’ve ended there and the broken rule would mean literally nothing.

Shroob

Sup?
SpringMan has no bearing on what other assist trophies can get in. He could get in and be the only one, or he could get excluded only for Waluigi to be in the same pass.
It’s like how Byleth showed that first parties could get in... at the end of the first fighter pass. DLC could’ve ended there and the broken rule would mean literally nothing.
We know, but considering this is the literal first character, we got another.... year and a half/2 years of speculation.

If we are indeed getting a first party-majority fighter pass, I really hope that means we’ll at least get Rex & Pyra. Along with an Arms character, they’re another character who definitely would’ve made it in the game if the timing lined up better

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
A first party dominated pass would be really disappointing for me. The only Nintendo characters I particularly want at this point are Waluigi, Dixie & Impa. I doubt any of them would be picked.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
If we are indeed getting a first party-majority fighter pass, I really hope that means we’ll at least get Rex & Pyra. Along with an Arms character, they’re another character who definitely would’ve made it in the game if the timing lined up better
An ARMS character being the first out of the gate made me think Rex would have a higher chance, as DLC seems to be making up for gaps in the base game. And out of all the possible first party contenders, which I think is pretty much Rex and Pokemon, I'd prefer Rex to flesh out Xenoblade more in the current roster. That being said, I've only played the very first bits of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. :lol:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Guessing this dude's just some guy speculating and not someone we who's leaking anything at all.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
An ARMS character being the first out of the gate made me think Rex would have a higher chance, as DLC seems to be making up for gaps in the base game. And out of all the possible first party contenders, which I think is pretty much Rex and Pokemon, I'd prefer Rex to flesh out Xenoblade more in the current roster. That being said, I've only played the very first bits of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. :lol:
Said it before, will say it again: an ARMS character and Rex were both singled out as "planned for base game but didn't make it due to timing." With ARMS now getting a second chance with Fighters Pass 2 and making it in, I wouldn't be surprised if Rex isn't far behind.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm not entirely buying this first party only stuff right now, that said I actually wouldn't be upset with a first party only pass since some of my most wanteds fall into that category, the biggest 2 being Isaac and Dixie Kong.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
What Nintendo characters (aside from Rex and/or Pyra) realistically have a shot to be included other than the occasional promo based picks that people bring up like a Pokemon?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
NateDrake is a reputable games journalist (would he be called that, not sure), who's given hints in the past, and is generally a very down-to-Earth guy who doesn't get on the Nintendo-hype train like everyone else does from my experience listening to him. Not saying he's infallible, but out of all the insiders, Nate's one of the more trustworthy ones, even if our tastes differ.

That being said, no one should have to take any insider's words seriously, grain of salt and all that. But if one were to put any stock in insider's, Nate's one of the top ones still commenting these days.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Are we talking about Pokemon for a specific reason? Please don't tell me some leak came out claiming we're getting another damn Pokemon for DLC

cosmicB

Smash Ace
What Nintendo characters (aside from Rex and/or Pyra) realistically have a shot to be included other than the occasional promo based picks that people bring up like a Pokemon?
I'd say Euden is a pretty big toss-up. Dragalia Lost is one of the few Nintendo properties with no content in Smash. Maybe he'd count as a promo pick, but I see him as 50/50, with all coming down to if Sakurai is willing to put a mobile character in or not.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

bruh how the **** did papagenos already churn out a 15-minute vid talking about this

I think another user already said it, but as far as “big” Nintendo characters who would generate hype as downloadable content, I can only see the Arms rep, Rex/Pyra, and a Gen 8 Pokémon. And maybe Geno, if that counts? I know people want characters like Bandana Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, etc, but I can’t picture Nintendo seeing any value in adding those characters as post-game DLC. They would have to either be new(ish) or a longtime fan request similar to Banjo.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
I don't buy the whole "majority 1st-party pass" thing.

Mostly because it doesn't add up with Sakurai's comments about the difficulties of "working with different companies" during the development of the pass. I can't imagine there'd be that much inter-company work if the majority of the pass was 1st party characters.

Also, I REFUSE to believe that Smash 4 could possibly have a more hype DLC lineup than Ultimate. I'm not even a Street Fighter or Bayonetta fan, but Ryu and Bayo are both S-Tier, ungodly hype Smash inclusions. Same with Cloud.

It just doesn't make sense to me that Joker and Banjo would be the absolute pinnacle of Ultimate DLC inclusions, and that the entirety of 2020-2021 could be spent with Nintendo sadly piddling out characters like Captain Toad or Marth #9, rather than blockbusters like Crash, Sora, or Dante.

I know Nintendo is like, SUPREMELY stupid, VERY often (their entire handling of Ultimate's marketing rollout is a testament to this), but this would be a leap to full-blown spite in my eyes.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Okay I didn't want to bring it up since the conversation has moved on from it and people were being unnecessarily rude, but it's really been nagging me and I have to say it.
Earlier a lot of people were taking shots at Cosmic77 for "not knowing what anthropomorphic meant" when they clearly weren't arguing in good faith.

This is a duck.
Note its long curved neck, mostly vertical boat-like body shape, long neck and wings it keeps tucked to its side while not in flight.

This is an anthropomorphic duck.
Notice how he stands much more upright like a human, has a human expression despite his bill, has a proportionally shorter neck and hands at the end of his wings.

This is Sirfetched.
He's not as anthropomorphic as Donald overall, but he has a straight, upright poster, a short neck, eyebrows that give him very human expressions and hand-like wings he can use to carry objects. He has more in common with Donald then he does with a real-life duck, the main differences being that he's shorter and his wings are noticeably less arm like. Heck, I'd even point out that Sirfetch'd's body curves out less then Donald's does, making him a little less duck-like in that department.

He has multiple anthropomorphic features, and I think people forget you don't have to be a furry human with an animal head in order be anthropomorphic by looser definitions. To take it further, I'd argue most cartoon animals are on a spectrum of anthropomorphic to non-anthropomorphic to begin with - no one would argue the dog in Duck Hunt is overly anthropomorphic but his iconic laugh is.

But hey it's Cosmic and it's cool to dunk on whatever he says even if he's not being rude about it so he's clearly stupid for calling Sirfetch'd anthropomorphic. That was an example of the "negative culture" here we talked about a couple days ago - people were ganging up on someone, strawmanning them and talking down to them just because they're someone known for unpopular opinions. We can be better then that guys.

P.S. I like Sirfetch'd and would be cool with him in Smash.
Are we talking about Pokemon for a specific reason? Please don't tell me some leak came out claiming we're getting another damn Pokemon for DLC
Pokemon DLC came out recently so it's been on people's minds. That's all.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I don't buy the whole "majority 1st-party pass" thing.

Mostly because it doesn't add up with Sakurai's comments about the difficulties of "working with different companies" during the development of the pass. I can't imagine there'd be that much inter-company work if the majority of the pass was 1st party characters.

Also, I REFUSE to believe that Smash 4 could possibly have a more hype DLC lineup than Ultimate. I'm not even a Street Fighter or Bayonetta fan, but Ryu and Bayo are both S-Tier, ungodly hype Smash inclusions. Same with Cloud.

It just doesn't make sense to me that Joker and Banjo would be the absolute pinnacle of Ultimate DLC inclusions, and that the entirety of 2020-2021 could be spent with Nintendo sadly piddling out characters like Captain Toad or Marth #9, rather than blockbusters like Crash, Sora, or Dante.

I know Nintendo is like, SUPREMELY stupid, VERY often (their entire handling of Ultimate's marketing rollout is a testament to this), but this would be a leap to full-blown spite in my eyes.

Hype is 100% a subjective term. I'd say Ultimate's DLC lineup is EXTREMELY hype. "Hype" is a person to person thing.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But R.O.B. is kind of referred to with he/him pronouns.View attachment 275280 :smash:
Tbf nonbinary isn't a third gender, Steven Universe creator Rebecca Sugar's nonbinary but uses she/her and Guilty Gear's Baiken is suggested to have foresaken gender despite her pronouns and physique
Said it before, will say it again: an ARMS character and Rex were both singled out as "planned for base game but didn't make it due to timing." With ARMS now getting a second chance with Fighters Pass 2 and making it in, I wouldn't be surprised if Rex isn't far behind.
Idk, ARMS is a game that Nintendo wants to make a franchise of, Xenoblade is already a franchise and has a rotating cast, if they want to promote Xenoblade in the DLC, I have a hard time seeing them go "HEY KIDDOS CHECK OUT THIS GAME THAT'S BEEN OUT FOR NEARLY 3 YEARS!" when they can go "HEY KIDDOS CHECK OUT THIS GAME THAT'S ONLY BEEN OUT FOR 3 WEEKS!"

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Hype is 100% a subjective term. I'd say Ultimate's DLC lineup is EXTREMELY hype. "Hype" is a person to person thing.
Yeah, hype is definitely a subjective thing, but the actual amount of hype generated by something can be objectively observed.

I mean, I actively DO NOT want Steve or Waluigi in Smash, and I really want Rayman in. I can still acknowledge that the hype generated by either Steve or Waluigi's inclusion would completely dwarf any reaction Rayman would get.

It's not really a subjective opinion to say "a 3rd-party icon getting into Smash would generate more hype and enthusiasm surrounding Smash Ultimate than a random Nintendo character would".

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Lol someone out there saw people bitter that Nintendo hasn't said anything and figured "yea, let's **** with them a bit more by being mysterious"

I'm going to go ahead and ignore. Saying gender makes it obvious does make me assume Spring Man, but "obvious" is such a subjective value in this overly long Arms conversation that I can only assume it's a bait (then again I guess anything anyone leaks is always just attention bait).
I wouldn't be surprised if forums where ATs are considered untouchable everyone is suddenly raising up their arms for Max Brass as the obvious pick.

ZelDan

Smash Master
yeah hype is very subjective. I rpobably understand that more than many considering I'm someone who was largely unimpressed by FP1 and whose favorite character from it was Byleth, so yeah. As far as I'm concerned Smash 4 is as of now still much better on the DLC front than ultimate is. That could very well change of course.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's not really a subjective opinion to say "a 3rd-party icon getting into Smash would generate more hype and enthusiasm surrounding Smash Ultimate than a random Nintendo character would".
Bold of you to assume the general public wouldn't find Grill from Kirby Star Stacker a more desirable character than that loser Master Chief

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, hype is definitely a subjective thing, but the actual amount of hype generated by something can be objectively observed.

I mean, I actively DO NOT want Steve or Waluigi in Smash, and I really want Rayman in. I can still acknowledge that the hype generated by either Steve or Waluigi's inclusion would completely dwarf any reaction Rayman would get.

Depends. You're never going to please everyone.

Personally, I thought 4's DLC was only so-so. Cloud was a big hit even though I've never played Final Fantasy, and at the time, Bayonetta was a "Literally who?" to me. Ryu was fine. Likewise, I got a very nice selection of characters in Ultimate thus far.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Tbf nonbinary isn't a third gender, Steven Universe creator Rebecca Sugar's nonbinary but uses she/her and Guilty Gear's Baiken is suggested to have foresaken gender despite her pronouns and physique

Idk, ARMS is a game that Nintendo wants to make a franchise of, Xenoblade is already a franchise and has a rotating cast, if they want to promote Xenoblade in the DLC, I have a hard time seeing them go "HEY KIDDOS CHECK OUT THIS GAME THAT'S BEEN OUT FOR NEARLY 3 YEARS!" when they can go "HEY KIDDOS CHECK OUT THIS GAME THAT'S ONLY BEEN OUT FOR 3 WEEKS!"
I actually have a friend who identifies as non binary, but goes by she/her pronouns. But wait, are you saying R.O.B. was actually non binary the whole time?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't have the screenshot for this but apparently he said that he can't say the gender because that would make it too obvious. Thinking that after all this time it's actually just Springman
It probably means that our prediction of "if male, it's Spring Man, if female, it's Min Min" is correct assuming this person actually knows the fighter. It can also be assumed that there are no extra characters as alternate costumes if the gender reveals the character, as the most likely alternate costumes would be of female characters, making the character both genders.

EDIT: Unless there's a Springtron alt, in which case most people would see it as male.

Last edited:

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Bold of you to assume the general public wouldn't find Grill from Kirby Star Stacker a more desirable character than that loser Master Chief
I know I might be exposing my PERSONAL BIASES a bit by suggesting that there might be a bit more buzz behind someone like Kratos or Geralt getting into Smash then uhhh... Rillaboom... or uh... Edelgard

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I know I might be exposing my PERSONAL BIASES a bit by suggesting that there might be a bit more buzz behind someone like Kratos or Geralt getting into Smash then uhhh... Rillaboom... or uh... Edelgard
Nah Edelgard would generate a ton of buzz.

It wouldn't be positive, but she sure would make a splash (which is a light way of saying the internet would turn into a nuke).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom