• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
You guys are reading too much into it. Natedrake isn't thinking NB or robot or whatever. There are 3 "obvious" female characters in the running. There is 1 "obvious" male character in the running. By saying that telling the gender would make it too obvious means Nate is referring to the one where there's only one obvious choice.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You guys are reading too much into it. Natedrake isn't thinking NB or robot or whatever. There are 3 "obvious" female characters in the running. There is 1 "obvious" male character in the running. By saying that telling the gender would make it too obvious means Nate is referring to the one where there's only one obvious choice.
So you're saying its Ninjara!

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Its like everyone forgot Max Brass existed for some reason after the first week or so of ARMS speculation.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
If its male then the obvious one would be Spring-Man by far as he is the only male character most would agree on being the likely one, while if its female, then there would be a three way split between Ribbon Girl, Min Min, and Twintale on which would it be.

Shroob

Sup?
Really though, if the gender's "obvious", well, that doesn't really give us too much to work with since there's always been 3 front runners in people's minds, Springman, Ribbon Girl and Min Min.

Until we know said gender, we haven't moved much.

F for Helix tho.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
If it ends up being frickin' Spring Man, I will be beyond disappointed..if they were going to do this whole secretive 'An ARMS rep..but we won't tell you who~' thing only to go with the obvious pick of 'main' character, its like..why even make it a big secret if that's how you were going to do it?

ZelDan

Smash Master
Honestly, on the female side I think it would really only be between Ribbon Girl and Min Min.

Twintelle is cool and is certainly popular, she just seems like the weirdest character to be the sole representative of ARMS since she doesn't, you know, attack with her arms...

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
If it ends up being frickin' Spring Man, I will be beyond disappointed..if they were going to do this whole secretive 'An ARMS rep..but we won't tell you who~' thing only to go with the obvious pick of 'main' character, its like..why even make it a big secret if that's how you were going to do it?
To get people talking about ARMS again I guess. Otherwise I got nothing

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Its like everyone forgot Max Brass existed for some reason after the first week or so of ARMS speculation.
Do you think Max Brass is the "obvious" choice if all you knew going into the announcement was "male"? Do you think an outsider looking in would think a hidden character important to the lore is more obvious than the guy on the box?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'll just be happy cause I got Spring Man. :4larry:

Frankly I'm just glad it isn't Helix who is... my least favorite ARMS character.

Shroob

Sup?
The inner machinations of Nintendo's mind are an enigma.

1592539385905.png

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
It honestly would be incredibly tone deaf and would look like a desperate attempt from Nintendo to inject ANY hype into this at all.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'd like to see whether or not this thing on the fighter's gender was actually said before jumping to conclusions.

That said, it could go both ways. I really don't see Ribbon Girl on her own, so that would leave Springo or Min Min as the "really obvious" choices.

Still, I just want it to actually happen soon.

Groose

Smash Champion
The character isn't Byte and Barq. Insiders say that they don't know why the character hasn't been shown yet; it would be quite obvious why Nintendo would hesitate to reveal the police character given the current state of things. Besides, they're definitely one of the most "out there" characters. If Helix is considered a "laughable" choice, then they also would be.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Do you think Max Brass is the "obvious" choice if all you knew going into the announcement was "male"? Do you think an outsider looking in would think a hidden character important to the lore is more obvious than the guy on the box?
If you consider that Springman is an AT, and that they're not upgrading him.
There the only obvious male choice do become Max Brass though.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
To get people talking about ARMS again I guess. Otherwise I got nothing
Either that or, as has been brought up multiple times before, the reveal trailer just wasn't finished yet and they didn't want to reveal the character without any gameplay a la Terry.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I would be shocked if Natedrake not only had that mindset, but assumed everyone else did as well.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The character isn't Byte and Barq. Insiders say that they don't know why the character hasn't been shown yet; it would be quite obvious why Nintendo would hesitate to reveal the police character given the current state of things. Besides, they're definitely one of the most "out there" characters. If Helix is considered a "laughable" choice, then they also would be.
That's a fair point bu-

GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE

YOU'RE BACK!!!!

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Please tell me you’re joking. Why would a Japanese company care whether or not their character happens to be a cop? Should Astral Chain be removed from the shelves completely due to the “current state of things”?

Ngl, this outrage/cancel culture is getting really old.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Please tell me you’re joking. Why would a Japanese company care whether or not their character happens to be a cop?

Well, even if what's going on had nothing to do with it, why would Nintendo force Sakurai to pick Byte & Barq of all characters to advertise ARMS?

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I don't think Max Brass is particularly popular nor much of a 'face' character for ARMS despite being the Final Boss and he was also Free DLC for the game rather than one of the from-the-get-go characters like Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, or Twintelle.
It honestly would be incredibly tone deaf and would look like a desperate attempt from Nintendo to inject ANY hype into this at all.
I really agree with that sentiment..it'd be a dumb move.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Please tell me you’re joking. Why would a Japanese company care whether or not their character happens to be a cop?

I mean the company did make a statement on that. There were also protests going on in Japan at the time about police brutality, so it's not totally alien to them.

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Well, even if what's going on had nothing to do with it, why would Nintendo force Sakurai to pick Byte & Barq of all characters to advertise ARMS?
I didn’t even know who they were until now, I just thought that reasoning had no basis to it, lol.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Max would be fun, but unless we actually get something like an ARMS 2 set in the past about his and Coyle's backstory... I don't see it happening. It would be the equivalent of, I dunno, putting Sagat as our representative for Street Fighter or Rock Howard for FF.

Brass is very important to the ARMS universe, yes, but he isn't what one would call a mascot. Hell, promotion didn't even push him until after the game launched.

If it somehow happens, I'd be down tho. Had a lot of fun playing as him in the trial.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Should Astral Chain be removed from the shelves completely due to the “current state of things”?
Astral Chain was made last year.

Bad example.

But like, most people assume Spring Man is on the table.

That would magically assume he's not.

Shroob

Sup?
I still think people look at this whole ARMs debacle way too deeply and deem **** as "obvious".

Over 15 million copies of Smash Ultimate have sold, and I'd wager only a fraction of those players give a damn about speculating who the next character is.

Honestly, I do think Spring Man would take the average player by shock since, "He's an Assist Trophy", that kind of **** has never happened before in the series history, being promoted to playable from Assist in the same game.

Is it "boring", I mean, sure, I guess, but 'obvious'? Hell no, Springman has a mountain that few have climbed in his path, one that no one's ever vaulted in the same game.

tl;dr: Y'all complaining about Springman being lame cause he's obvious is silly.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Please tell me you’re joking. Why would a Japanese company care whether or not their character happens to be a cop? Should Astral Chain be removed from the shelves completely due to the “current state of things”?

Japan's having protests against Police Brutality too..its Worldwide at this point, not just an American thing...also America is a HUGE market for Nintendo, and many game companies, so they would definitely pay attention to things happening in the Western world as well.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...ts-rallies-race-police-brutality-tokyo-japan/

That's all I'll say on that topic..we are NOT getting this thread locked again for going off topic and very likely getting heated in the process.

Last edited:

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
I mean the company did make a statement on that. There were also protests going on in Japan at the time about police brutality, so it's not totally alien to them.
Yes, because the American branch 100% represents the views of a Japanese company.

And apart from a few isolated protests, it was nowhere near as big in Japan as America and Europe (The former literally had entire cities burning for crying out loud)

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Byte and Bark is ARM's most gimmicky character, putting them in Smash isn't really the best way to represent the series mechanics. Its like putting in a character from Smash as a guest character in Street Fighter with their moveset being base off their Smash moveset, but the character picked is the freaking Ice Climbers.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And here I am temporarilly booting my favorite from the team because there's no way Growlithe could handle Drayden and Marlon's type specialties.

Then again, if power was what I sought after Poochyena would absolutely not be one of my favorites.

Lara's definitely the more important character in the grand scheme of things, but "deservedness" isn't really a good metric to judge a pick by. Smash is a celebration of all gaming (or at least as much as possible) so good, niche, or mediocre, they all should get some credit.
CLEARLY THIS MEANS THAT IN COMPARISON TO THE LIVING NUKE STARAPTOR, YOUR FAVOURITE POKEMON has an equal amount of value as the wonderful thing about the franchise is how all of these 898 monsters are going to be someone's favourite, we love them for nostalgia, design, lore, battle capabilities or personal experiences.

Unless your favourite is ****ing Zacian or Urshifu lmao whoever approved those two should be fired but it's too late, their damage has already been done, it's probably the same prick who approved those new tutor moves
Did you really photoshop Sol's hair onto Sirfetch'd just for a silly Guilty Gear joke?

...I'm proud of you

Also, regarding your taste in GG songs
Nah I got it from a tweet like a year ago, it's a good image so I never deleted it
I don't have the screenshot for this but apparently he said that he can't say the gender because that would make it too obvious.
I swear this **** ****ing sucks, we have people suggesting they can put us out of our misery yet we still have to wait for the sweet release of dea-
Thinking that after all this time it's actually just Springman
IMG_20200315_215347.jpg

3 months. For the poster boy everyone would have expected anyway had we not been told to play Guess Who

Shroob

Sup?
I will probably wage caution and guess "Male" if the gender is obvious though.

Springman really doesn't have any competition in the "Obvious" category when it comes to his gender.

Likewise, female is more or less a 3 way tie, which, while all 3 seem viable, if it's split between 3 characters, I wouldn't necessarily say that's 'obvious'.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
End our suffering Nintendo.

RELEASE THE NEWS

Last edited:

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Japan's having protests against Police Brutality too..its Worldwide at this point, not just an American thing...also America is a HUGE market for Nintendo, and many game companies, so they would definitely pay attention to things happening in the Western world as well.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...ts-rallies-race-police-brutality-tokyo-japan/

That's all I'll say on that topic..we are NOT getting this thread locked again for going off topic and very likely getting heated in the process.
Well I think its incredibly stupid. Even if Byte was planned, they arguably would’ve looked even more tone deaf if they caved into the demands of Twitter outrage zealots who likely have never even touched the game in their lives, I’m sorry. Bear in mind this is the same section who is trying to get Paw Patrol of all things taken down from TV stations.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Hey

At the very least

We can't really say Leakers made us play "Guess Who" for several days/weeks/months this time.

**** was all Nintendo. They must have learned from Sabi.:239:

Last edited:

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
End of suffering Nintendo.

RELEASE THE NEWS
Its Spring Man and Cinderace up next, along with an entire 1st Party pass, no internet breakers whatsoever. I mean, Imran himself pretty much gave it away.

There, I just saved you and everyone else here months of agony.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Its Spring Man and Cinderace up next, along with an entire 1st Party pass, no internet breakers whatsoever. I mean, Imran himself pretty much gave it away.

There, I just saved you and everyone else here months of agony.
When on earth did Imran specifically talk about Spring Man.

Or mention Cinderace at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom