• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It's still a thing, yes. It has evidently has had a rocky going, but the recent Season 5 proved a high point and it still has a healthy presence on Twitch.

As far as EA, I'm imagining it's either Commander Shepard, Bella Goth (as the Sims mascot) or a Dragon Age representative. Battlefield and Apex feel like massive longshots (aka. Spirit material). Personally I would welcome music from the sports series (FIFA etc.) buuut licensing is a likely insumountable obstacle there.

Also *Insert joke about EA being more active on the Switch than Nintendo*:

(I'm guessing they made a shift towards more single-player games because they've taken too much microtransaction related heat - seriously, in-game transactions make up half of EA's revenue, with the Ultimate Team modes from the sport titles being the lion share of that.)
Not gonna lie, I would be hype for the Mass Effect Trilogy possibly coming to Switch!

I would be super excited to play the first one actually as I've played both 2 and 3 quite a bit back in the day but never the first.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Home, so here was my Cynthia set. I had this in her thread on the forum as well

While Cynthia and Pokemon trainer use pokemon, they couldn’t be more different. While Pokemon trainer is about managing 3 different fighting styles and has his pokemon do all the fighting, Cynthia instead fights herself, using her pokemon as summons in a sense. While she has a 2 attacks that don’t use a pokemon, the majority of her attacks have the pokemon pop out of their pokeball to assist their master. She may ride, stand alongside, or do an attack with her pokemon. If she holds guard while in an attack that uses a pokemon, she will return to a neutral state, while the pokemon finished up its attack. She can move, jump, and attack while that other pokemon is on the stage, but she will not be able to use any attacks that require the pokemon already attacking, and the further Cynthia is away from the pokemon, the longer it takes to be called back, making it risky to stay too far from her pokemon. The most amount of Pokemon she can have out on the stage at once is 3.

The 6 pokemon Cynthia uses are Milotic, Garchomp, Glaceon, Roserade, Togekiss, and Spiritomb. Her attacks are all moves they can use in game. If the pokemon are attacked, Cythina still takes damage, but she doesn’t flinch from it. Garchomp and Spiritomb can take 3 hits before their attacks are canceled and they return to the ball, Togekiss and Milotic can take 2, and Roserade and Glaceon can take 1.

Some of Cynthia’s moves are activated for a long time, so learning her cancel ability and mastering how to use multiple pokemon attacks at the same time is key to mastering her.

Her full moveset is below. I tried to use all 6 pokemon as equally as possible.

Normal Combo: two slaps from Cynthia, then a third hit from Milotic. Cynthia slaps the foe, then back hands them, then she spins away, snapping her fingers as Milotic appears coiled around Cynthina and does a slight tail slap (2%, 3%, 5%)

Forward A: Glaceon uses Ice Fang, which has her leap forward with an very short range icy bite. May freeze foe if their damage is high.(7%)

Down A: Spiritomb uses shadow Sneak, damaging anyone with its shadow right in front on it. (4%)

Up A: Togekiss Uses Uproar, crying out and knock anyone really close up that where next to her, and anyone above her, into the air.(6%)

Dash A: Cynthia rides on Garchomp as it uses Dragon rush. It travels pretty far, but stops if she reaches a ledge. (11%)

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral A: Cynthia holds Roserade as she uses Petal Storm, surrounding Cynthia with multi-hitting petals. (2% per petal hit, max 10 hits)

Forward A: Glaceon Icy wind, which has Cynthia hold Glaceon as it blows a cold blast of wind short range in front of them. Hit’s 3 times and may very breifly freeze the foe if they have high damage.(4% per hit)

Up A: Togekiss uses Air Slash, making wind slash above Cynthia and itself. (9%)

Back A: Garchomp attacks behind with Duel chop, which has him slashing with his fins twice. Foe will get hit by both if hit by the first. (7%, 8%, total 15%)

Down A: Cynthia brings out Spiritomb, and holds on to it as it falls VERY fast to the ground, and the same speed as Kirby’s rock in the air. Canceling has Cynthia stop falling fast, but Spiritomb keeps going till it hits the ground. (15%)

Smash Attacks:

Forward Smash: Garchomp uses Giga Impact. It charges in place, then Body slams the foe for massive damage. (19%-26%)

Down Smash Miltoic uses whirlpool, while actis simularly to Melee Peaches down smash, multiple hits around Cynthia via spinning water then launches them away (14%-20%)

Up Smash: Roserade Uses Energy ball, which has her form a ball of sun energy, above her, trapping people and doing damage, then it blows up, sending people in the air. It’s very similar to Mewtwo’s Up Smash in Melee, but has a larger hitbox. (1-3% x 7 attacks, explosion 8-13%)

Grab/Throws:

Cythnia uses Spiritomb of psychicly grab close to slightly mid rang enemies, and pulls them to her.

Pummel: Glaceon appears on Cythnia’s shoulder and fires Ice Shards at the held foe(1%)

Forward throw: Garhomp appears and does Dragon Claw, sending it flying away(13%)

Backward Throw: Milotic appears from in frontof the foe and does aqua tail, knocking the foe behind Cynthia (14%)

Upward Throw: Togekiss uses Twister, trapping the foe in a twister and launching them into the air.(11%)

Downward Throw: Roseade uses Grass knot to tie them up, then punches them with poison jab, knocking them away(12%)

Special Moves and Final Smash:

Standard B: Destiny Bond. Spiritomb appears in front of Cynthia and glows for a moment. If any attack hits it, The foe glows, Spiritomb returns to it’s pokeball, and the foe is bonded to Cynthia for 10 seconds. Any damage Cynthia takes during that time, the foe will also receive. If Destiny bond misses, Spiritomb sits on the ground for a few moments before returning, locking Cynthia out of a few attacks like her grabs and Down Aerial.

Side B: Surf. Milotic appears coiled around Cynthia, and cries out, making a small wave of water flow out in front of Cynthia. It goes the same distance as Ice climbers ice block, but anyone hit by it takes damage and is knocked away. (10%)

Up B: Sky Attack. Cynthia jumps onto Togekiss, who flies up about the vertical distance Sonic's Up B goes while glowing. At the peak, Cynthia leaps off and Togekiss zooms down in the direction you at pointing the analog stick, causing damage and going through anyone in it’s path till Togekiss hits a floor, wall, or goes OB. Hitting a floor or wall causing a small blast of energy. When Cynthia leaps off she is free to attack right away. If Togekiss returns before Cynthia hits the ground, she can use this move again. (18% damage if hit by Togekiss, 14% damage if only hit by the energy blast. 25% if a Direct hit on a ground orl wall.

Down B: Hail. Glaceon appears where Cynthia is standing, and cries out. High above Glaceon (thunder level) a icy cloud appears and makes it start to Hail around Glaceon. Glaceon vanishes 1 second after starting the attack, and Cynthia can move around and attack with any move that doesn’t use Glaceon during this attack(during that 1 second glaceon is out). 10 pieces of hall fall per second, and does little damage and stun in each hit. If a foe is caught in the attack, they will get hit the will slowly be pushed out, only someone trapped in a corner and under the effect of a supper mushroom will be hit by every attack. You cannot use this move again till the current hail finishes.(1 % damage per hit)

Final Smash: Roserade uses Sleep Powder in a large bubble around Cynthia(about ½ the size of Luigi’s moon). Id it hits it transitions to a cut scene where they are suddenly at Cynthias champion roon, She calls out all her pokemon at once who combo attack the plays and it ends with Mega Garchomp Outraging everyone away

I think this would be a super unique take on a pokemon trainer, and showcase a bunch of different pokemon as well.
Yeah, this concept is just not my thing. I can't really envision that moveset as being Cynthia.
I just hope the Pass doesn’t end up being “Speculation Cycle Rejects Recycled As DLC”. ARMS as a new successful IP deserves that boost. I can’t really say the same for stuff that’s already well established in Smash.
I'll do you one "better": Speculation Cycle Rejects Rejects, it's non-spirit characters from the series of those rejects. So instead of Spring Man, Rex, Geno, Bandana Dee, Isaac, and Decidueye, it's Helix, Lora, Smithy, Adeleine, Alex, and Decidueye. (:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Home, so here was my Cynthia set. I had this in her thread on the forum as well

While Cynthia and Pokemon trainer use pokemon, they couldn’t be more different. While Pokemon trainer is about managing 3 different fighting styles and has his pokemon do all the fighting, Cynthia instead fights herself, using her pokemon as summons in a sense. While she has a 2 attacks that don’t use a pokemon, the majority of her attacks have the pokemon pop out of their pokeball to assist their master. She may ride, stand alongside, or do an attack with her pokemon. If she holds guard while in an attack that uses a pokemon, she will return to a neutral state, while the pokemon finished up its attack. She can move, jump, and attack while that other pokemon is on the stage, but she will not be able to use any attacks that require the pokemon already attacking, and the further Cynthia is away from the pokemon, the longer it takes to be called back, making it risky to stay too far from her pokemon. The most amount of Pokemon she can have out on the stage at once is 3.

The 6 pokemon Cynthia uses are Milotic, Garchomp, Glaceon, Roserade, Togekiss, and Spiritomb. Her attacks are all moves they can use in game. If the pokemon are attacked, Cythina still takes damage, but she doesn’t flinch from it. Garchomp and Spiritomb can take 3 hits before their attacks are canceled and they return to the ball, Togekiss and Milotic can take 2, and Roserade and Glaceon can take 1.

Some of Cynthia’s moves are activated for a long time, so learning her cancel ability and mastering how to use multiple pokemon attacks at the same time is key to mastering her.

Her full moveset is below. I tried to use all 6 pokemon as equally as possible.

Normal Combo: two slaps from Cynthia, then a third hit from Milotic. Cynthia slaps the foe, then back hands them, then she spins away, snapping her fingers as Milotic appears coiled around Cynthina and does a slight tail slap (2%, 3%, 5%)

Forward A: Glaceon uses Ice Fang, which has her leap forward with an very short range icy bite. May freeze foe if their damage is high.(7%)

Down A: Spiritomb uses shadow Sneak, damaging anyone with its shadow right in front on it. (4%)

Up A: Togekiss Uses Uproar, crying out and knock anyone really close up that where next to her, and anyone above her, into the air.(6%)

Dash A: Cynthia rides on Garchomp as it uses Dragon rush. It travels pretty far, but stops if she reaches a ledge. (11%)

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral A: Cynthia holds Roserade as she uses Petal Storm, surrounding Cynthia with multi-hitting petals. (2% per petal hit, max 10 hits)

Forward A: Glaceon Icy wind, which has Cynthia hold Glaceon as it blows a cold blast of wind short range in front of them. Hit’s 3 times and may very breifly freeze the foe if they have high damage.(4% per hit)

Up A: Togekiss uses Air Slash, making wind slash above Cynthia and itself. (9%)

Back A: Garchomp attacks behind with Duel chop, which has him slashing with his fins twice. Foe will get hit by both if hit by the first. (7%, 8%, total 15%)

Down A: Cynthia brings out Spiritomb, and holds on to it as it falls VERY fast to the ground, and the same speed as Kirby’s rock in the air. Canceling has Cynthia stop falling fast, but Spiritomb keeps going till it hits the ground. (15%)

Smash Attacks:

Forward Smash: Garchomp uses Giga Impact. It charges in place, then Body slams the foe for massive damage. (19%-26%)

Down Smash Miltoic uses whirlpool, while actis simularly to Melee Peaches down smash, multiple hits around Cynthia via spinning water then launches them away (14%-20%)

Up Smash: Roserade Uses Energy ball, which has her form a ball of sun energy, above her, trapping people and doing damage, then it blows up, sending people in the air. It’s very similar to Mewtwo’s Up Smash in Melee, but has a larger hitbox. (1-3% x 7 attacks, explosion 8-13%)

Grab/Throws:

Cythnia uses Spiritomb of psychicly grab close to slightly mid rang enemies, and pulls them to her.

Pummel: Glaceon appears on Cythnia’s shoulder and fires Ice Shards at the held foe(1%)

Forward throw: Garhomp appears and does Dragon Claw, sending it flying away(13%)

Backward Throw: Milotic appears from in frontof the foe and does aqua tail, knocking the foe behind Cynthia (14%)

Upward Throw: Togekiss uses Twister, trapping the foe in a twister and launching them into the air.(11%)

Downward Throw: Roseade uses Grass knot to tie them up, then punches them with poison jab, knocking them away(12%)

Special Moves and Final Smash:

Standard B: Destiny Bond. Spiritomb appears in front of Cynthia and glows for a moment. If any attack hits it, The foe glows, Spiritomb returns to it’s pokeball, and the foe is bonded to Cynthia for 10 seconds. Any damage Cynthia takes during that time, the foe will also receive. If Destiny bond misses, Spiritomb sits on the ground for a few moments before returning, locking Cynthia out of a few attacks like her grabs and Down Aerial.

Side B: Surf. Milotic appears coiled around Cynthia, and cries out, making a small wave of water flow out in front of Cynthia. It goes the same distance as Ice climbers ice block, but anyone hit by it takes damage and is knocked away. (10%)

Up B: Sky Attack. Cynthia jumps onto Togekiss, who flies up about the vertical distance Sonic's Up B goes while glowing. At the peak, Cynthia leaps off and Togekiss zooms down in the direction you at pointing the analog stick, causing damage and going through anyone in it’s path till Togekiss hits a floor, wall, or goes OB. Hitting a floor or wall causing a small blast of energy. When Cynthia leaps off she is free to attack right away. If Togekiss returns before Cynthia hits the ground, she can use this move again. (18% damage if hit by Togekiss, 14% damage if only hit by the energy blast. 25% if a Direct hit on a ground orl wall.

Down B: Hail. Glaceon appears where Cynthia is standing, and cries out. High above Glaceon (thunder level) a icy cloud appears and makes it start to Hail around Glaceon. Glaceon vanishes 1 second after starting the attack, and Cynthia can move around and attack with any move that doesn’t use Glaceon during this attack(during that 1 second glaceon is out). 10 pieces of hall fall per second, and does little damage and stun in each hit. If a foe is caught in the attack, they will get hit the will slowly be pushed out, only someone trapped in a corner and under the effect of a supper mushroom will be hit by every attack. You cannot use this move again till the current hail finishes.(1 % damage per hit)

Final Smash: Roserade uses Sleep Powder in a large bubble around Cynthia(about ½ the size of Luigi’s moon). Id it hits it transitions to a cut scene where they are suddenly at Cynthias champion roon, She calls out all her pokemon at once who combo attack the plays and it ends with Mega Garchomp Outraging everyone away

I think this would be a super unique take on a pokemon trainer, and showcase a bunch of different pokemon as well.
I'm not sure this works for a Pokemon trainer. This sounds more like a Persona character.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Did... Did you even see the picture...
Well you see, I'm actually an idiot who can't notice a joke until AFTER someone points out, thus exposing me for the fool I am.

Also, apparently Konami DOESN'T own Yu-Gi-Oh (despite the Goemon characters being there), so it's not even a question.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm really hoping for Springman, personally. He is the face of the game on all of the boxart, so it's be strange for him not to get it. I get that there are more 'fun' characters, but every fighting game has the 'boring' face-of-the-game people and the more interesting backstory/waifubait side characters.

Really I'd like the Hero situation, but as long as "Boioioioing" is in we're good.
(PS: the lack of "HI I'M DAISY!" is almost as painful as the loss of "YOU'RE TOO SLOW!")
because Spring man isnt a girl and people dont like looking at mens backsides

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
How do you guys think the ARMS character will ultimately be received?

I mean, this wait isn't helping at all.

But will the reaction be more positive or more negative?
Honestly? I dunno. Even back when they first got announced, it was met with a mixture of confusion and hype: Everyone was so sure we'd be getting a 3rd party akin to Joker to "set the tone" for the pass, but ARMS has thrown a big wrench into people's theories.

It also really depends on who it is. Every character has their fanbase, but some are definitely bigger than others. TBH I kinda feel bad for Spring Man, a lot of people are only gonna focus on him being an AT upgrade rather than him being the fighter if it ends up being him.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Weird, the japanese version of this taunt's still there (ososugi daze)
Smash is an expensive game to make.
So many characters, IP, and company involved, so if they can cut corners to save money to put it somewhere else, they'll do it. And this is one of the case.
Characters recycles Voice clips from previous smash, or from their own games unless there a necessity of new voices.

Sonic's JP VA and Voice Clips are the same since Brawl.
However, in ENG, Sonic had a voice change, and that voice actor didn't have a "you're too slow" sample from previous games. So they just used what they had in stocks, it being, "Sonic Speed"
It's why Snakes doesn't have any new Codec entry, they just recycled the ones from Brawl and called it a day. Much Cheaper.

On the other side, Kirby is almost always getting new lines each character being added because of the copy ability of Neutral-B
Others exemples of characters getting new lines for smash though can be the Phantom Thieves for Joker having new recording for his Victory screen comments.
Terry's VA doing re-recording of Lines that were used in past KOF/Fatal Fury but with our current days quality.
Cloud's Voices for Smash 4 being completely new. Or Roy's Voice Clips being new instead of using the Melee voices.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's why Snakes doesn't have any new Codec entry, they just recycled the ones from Brawl and called it a day. Much Cheaper.
That and it'd be more difficult to make new ones, as one of the characters involved has been retired. I'd be willing to bet that was a bigger factor in this case since the Palutena's Guidances were updated even though there was no reason to bring back the Kid Icarus voice actors for anything else (well, Pit did get one new voice line, but no one else did).

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Another big factor is the Colonel's japanese VA or seiyuu. He passed away and they take it very seriously. If a seiyuu dies, they retire that character.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Another big factor is the Colonel's japanese VA or seiyuu. He passed away and they take it very seriously. If a seiyuu dies, they retire that character.
Not entirely true, as Heihachi Mishima lost not one but two seiyuus due to death as of today. It does happen, but it's not an obligation.

What they like to do, however, is to pay respects by taking some time not doing anything with said character... though if lines are already recorded, they're are used posthumously because no point in wasting them, as seen with Incineroar (who was also Heihachi's seiyuu).

Colonel's seiyuu likely died around the time where some dialogue would be recorded, hence the lack of new Codecs.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
At least, most of the time. Heihachi and Eggman had their VOs die and they’re not retired

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not entirely true, as Heihachi Mishima lost not one but two seiyuus due to death as of today. It does happen, but it's not an obligation.

What they like to do, however, is to pay respects by taking some time not doing anything with said character (and even then, if lines are recorded, those lines are used anyway, as seen with Incineroar). Colonel's seiyuu likely died around the time where some dialogue would be recorded, hence the lack of new Codecs.
At least, most of the time. Heihachi and Eggman had their VOs die and they’re not retired
From what I understand (which granted, isn't much) it depends on the character. If the character is indispensable, then they'll have to get a replacement, if not then they get retired. I believe this is seen in Kingdom Hearts where a major character got a replacement, but a minor character didn't get any dialogue even though they are an incredibly talkative character.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
There was a Chrom v. Robin war during Sm4sh? That sounds beautiful, the whole community talking about FE without being completely negative.
Maybe this is my selective memory working here, but I actually don't recall such a war existing, or at the least not being as prominent or consistent as this makes it sound.

During those times Chrom was pretty much perceived as a near guarantee due to leaks, and while there was a desire for Robin due to getting magic in the FE character's moveset, it was generally agreed upon that Chrom was inevitable.

Robin happening when it did was a huge surprise, as was Lucina. Not only did it defy expectations of Chrom, thereby disproving a leak and opening up speculation, but it also happened on what people though to be Monado Monday, as Shulk was the character we expected to see that morning.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Reminds me that the Grey Fox's VA (Kaneto Shiozawa) die in 2000 yet his voice has been used in Smash since Brawl.
Colonel's lines get reused as well. I'd be willing to bet that "retire" isn't quite the correct word here, as they seem to still use the characters and voice clips, but they won't ever get someone else to record new lines for them.

Wonder if they do this for English (and other localized) voice actors as well...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm out of the loop. Is NateDrake Imran Kahn?

...And thanks to another thread, that is the case.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I don't have the screenshot for this but apparently he said that he can't say the gender because that would make it too obvious. Thinking that after all this time it's actually just Springman
INB4 this results in another Vergeben/Sabi-style "Guess Who" game where we're repeatedly told who it isn't as opposed to who it is.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Also, the conrext of the tweets and screenshots makes it sound like it's one character, which is fantastic news even if my most wanted in Helix is dead

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
INB4 this results in another Vergeben/Sabi-style "Guess Who" game where we're repeatedly told who it isn't as opposed to who it is.
Even if it is I'm just happy that something is happening. We've had basically nothing to talk about since Byleth's release other than a short game of guess who from Arms

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't have the screenshot for this but apparently he said that he can't say the gender because that would make it too obvious. Thinking that after all this time it's actually just Springman
See this is the thing I don't get.

There are lots of viable characters for either gender.

How does the gender make it obvious? Only thing I can think of is if its no gender but Helix is out of the running?

Byte and Barq?

Shroob

Sup?

How does the gender make it obvious? Only thing I can think of is if its no gender but Helix is out of the running?

Byte and Barq?
I mean, that'd legit be the big one.

If Helix is 100% shot down but the Gender is "Too obvious", frankly, my mind would go to "Gender N/A", because they're robots.

Man or Woman is way too vague since there's handfuls of each gender that seem viable.

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
But there is also Max Brass? Who plays a big role and doesn’t have any Spirits?

If he did say that, then it makes me lean toward Min Min tbh.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean, that'd legit be the big one.

If Helix is 100% shot down but the Gender is "Too obvious", frankly, my mind would go to "Gender N/A", because they're robots.

Man or Woman is way too vague since there's handfuls of each gender that seem viable.
None of the human cast is non binary (at least as far as we know) so if the gender makes it obvious, it may mean Byte and Barq.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

Byte and Barq?
I think that pushes the rep towards being male personally. For the female side the front runners are Twintelle, Ribbon Girl, and Minmin and between the few discords I'm in there's been a lot of talk as to who the obvious pick is between the 3. On the other hand Springman feels like the run away choice for the men even though there's a few other contenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom