• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Miyamoto's quote was wise at the time, but with patches, it's not really true anymore. Sure sending out crap and patching it later isn't exactly a good idea, but a rushed game is no longer doomed to stay bad.
It also should be noted that at least having a roadmap and giving periodic updates on the status of what you're waiting for would be nice. Taking your time on a product to make it the best it can be is one thing, but being on radio silence for half a year without giving any updates is another thing entirely.

I for one would've been totally fine if a few weeks earlier Nintendo announced that their presentation would be at the last day of June, hell I'd be fine with Nintendo announcing that they've postponed the presentation to the middle of July. At least then we wouldn't have been in the dark.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I don't think the SwoShi thing is as good of an example here considering, you know, it sold like 14 million copies regardless of fan backlash
Sales =/= game quality.

Pokemon is the biggest multimedia franchise of all time. It is even bigger than Star Wars. Just because it sold well does not mean the game is good. I find it hard to claim a game with such a shallow post game, a lifeless world outside of the wild area, easy even by pokemon standards, presentation that is lacking for a switch game 75% of the time, and Thanos snapping half of pokemon out of the game until DLC is good.

Still a better game than X and Y though.

Wait what? Where did you hear this?
The 7/11 Ad promoting Pokemon DLC comes down on the 28th. Likely going to get a new ad up then, so the 29th and 30th look good. The ads have proven effective so far in helping guesses.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sales =/= game quality.

Pokemon is the biggest multimedia franchise of all time. It is even bigger than Star Wars. Just because it sold well does not mean the game is good. I find it hard to claim a game with such a shallow post game, a lifeless world outside of the wild area, easy even by pokemon standards, presentation that is lacking for a switch game 75% of the time, and Thanos snapping half of pokemon out of the game until DLC is good.

The 7/11 Ad promoting Pokemon DLC comes down on the 28th. Likely going to get a new ad up then, so the 29th and 30th look good. The ads have proven effective so far in helping guesses.
Yes but when the conversation is about Miyamoto's quote that's been proven wrong since the N64 with every other example the thread provided being a game that either flopped or died completely, I feel Pokemon shouldn't be put in there due to that franchise being too big to fail

Ads did nothing for Terry, he never got a 7/11 ad

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
"Color theory"
*I sleep*
this is legit just "These colors match up coincidently to the stars in this game I like"
Well you see the colors actually match up with the weapon color swaps in the game Mega Man Extreme on the Gameboy Color.

See. I can make things up too if I try hard enough.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I don't think the ARMS character will be delayed. I think they will indeed come this month. Looking back, the waiting time for Mewtwo in Smash 4 and Joker in FP1 was close to this one. I think the first character in the season might take a while longer to get out because they probably hadn't even begun production when they first teased ARMS - similar to what happened in the aforementioned situations.

And similarly, the delay between the rest of the DLC might be smaller, because considering their pipeline, they're probably working on more than one character at once.

If anything, this might be another indicator that a second DLC season wasn't planned at all when Ultimate launched.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think the ARMS character will be delayed. I think they will indeed come this month. Looking back, the waiting time for Mewtwo in Smash 4 and Joker in FP1 was close to this one. I think the first character in the season might take a while longer to get out because they probably hadn't even begun production when they first teased ARMS - similar to what happened in the aforementioned situations.

If anything, this might be another indicator that a second DLC season wasn't planned at all when Ultimate launched.
Actually, this is longer than any other waiting period in Ultimate.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I don't think the ARMS character will be delayed. I think they will indeed come this month. Looking back, the waiting time for Mewtwo in Smash 4 and Joker in FP1 was close to this one
At least we KNEW who was coming...

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
To put this all into perspective, ever since the last Smash trailer dropped (Byleth), we’ve had:

>A global pandemic
>Societal lockdown
>Stock market crash and recession
>Impeachment Trial
>UK officially exiting EU
>UFOs declassified
>Mass riots in the US
>North and South Korea escalation
>India and China now on the brink of war
I called it. At least one person was gonna blame Byleth for 2020.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

And similarly, the delay between the rest of the DLC might be smaller, because considering their pipeline, they're probably working on more than one character at once.

Oh it's absolutely Nintendo deliberately not showing it, every other major game company has been able to release trailers and showcase events while Sakurai outright said development was going smoothly. This is just them being tightlipped for no reason like when Joker was stated to release 'in april' and not telling us the date until a shadowdrop

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Actually, this is longer than any other waiting period in Ultimate.
That... doesn't really invalidate any of my points, though.

And it's not the biggest waiting period by much. We got about 5 months before Joker (slightly less than what we have now) and Mewtwo's pre-release in 4 was about the same, if only a little bit smaller.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sakurai told us that it might take a while for the next fighter after Byleth, and he also said that development was still going smoothly.

If June is more than halfway over and we still haven't gotten a delay, then I'm fairly certain that means everything is going as planned. We still have roughly two weeks left. We've endured far worse. Just give it a little more time.

Sales =/= game quality.

SwSh has its fair share of problems, but I don't think the quiet majority of people who bought the game were as displeased as the vocal fans said they would be.

Whether or not the game is good is subjective, but I don't know if a Pokemon game that endured months and months of criticism would be capable of surpassing Gens 3-7 in sales if the game was truly "bad".

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I think Nintendo’s current strategy is not to announce things until further along in development. This would avoid situations like New Horizons and Metroid 4 which both had their delays hurt company stocks.
Ironic, because I'm pretty sure not saying anything for months is gonna damage their stocks too.

Then again, I've always believed Nintendo's pretty dumb when it comes to anything that isn't making video games, so... :ohwell:

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
Well, any of you guys have predictions for the Pokemon presents? I have one:
* Pokemon Sword and shield DLC
* Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX DLC (maybe it is too early to show DLC here)
* Pokemon MOBA game (TIMI studios)
* Pokemon Sleep
* Detective Pikachu 2

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I think Nintendo’s current strategy is not to announce things until further along in development. This would avoid situations like New Horizons and Metroid 4 which both had their delays hurt company stocks.
Yeah but at least we'd know there was actually something coming. Sony unloaded a huge press conference that showed off games and the console, word has it Xbox is going to drop a load of games in July, and Nintendo just sitting around twiddling its thumbs is making them look grossly incompetent

I'm more thankful for E3 now more than ever because now it's obvious that this would be the norm of E3 wasn't around to literally force them to do anything more than the bare minimum

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Ironic, because I'm pretty sure not saying anything for months is gonna damage their stocks too.

Then again, I've always believed Nintendo's pretty dumb when it comes to anything that isn't making video games, so... :ohwell:
Oh please, when it comes to making video games, Nintendo's proven they can be complete morons in that regard too

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
SwSh has its fair share of problems, but I don't think the quiet majority of people who bought the game were as displeased as the vocal fans said they would be.

Whether or not the game is good is subjective, but I don't know if a Pokemon game that endured months and months of criticism would be capable of surpassing Gens 3-7 in sales if the game was truly "bad".
It's not a bad game, but a lot of the things going into it (such as the awful presentation, performance, and dex cuts) were unacceptable, and beyond that, the missed potential for the game is massive, and that's just looking at features from the previous games like DexNav and seasons.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
To put this all into perspective, ever since the last Smash trailer dropped (Byleth), we’ve had:

>A global pandemic
>Societal lockdown
>Stock market crash and recession
>Impeachment Trial
>UK officially exiting EU
>UFOs declassified
>Mass riots in the US
>North and South Korea escalation
>India and China now on the brink of war
Yo. You forgot the murder hornets.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
* Pokemon Sleep
* Detective Pikachu 2
It's just going to be details on the upcoming DLC I think, the presentation itself isn't that long iirc.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It's just going to be details on the upcoming DLC I think, the presentation itself isn't that long iirc.
Other languages indicate that there's more than just the DLC in the event. They also just had a video last week all about the DLC so I dunno how they'd get 11 minutes out of DLC alone without repeating stuff people already know.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Apparently The Pokémon Company said that's not the case. Would make sense since they've revealed a lot about the Isle of Armour already.

I'd expect a recap of the Isle of Armour stuff followed by Pokémon mobile stuff, and maybe that Pokémon MOBA.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Other languages indicate that there's more than just the DLC in the event. They also just had a video last week all about the DLC so I dunno how they'd get 11 minutes out of DLC alone without repeating stuff people already know.
Tbf last year SwoShi's E3 trailer was literally the same info as the trailer the week before but with Nessa

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
so there is a KH gane coming out on switch and its a ****ing super adorable rhythm action game and I want it and- sorry this isnt on topic with whats happening
No, no, it's perfectly on topic. See, a new game means that Sora is definitely coming to Smash, because we all know that all new games are a 100% indicator of characters getting into Smash.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
* Pokemon Sleep
* Detective Pikachu 2
I'll predict a Pokemon XD remake until I am right.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
* Pokemon Sleep
* Detective Pikachu 2
I predict I'm just going to sleep through this and catch it later

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

It's more like proof that Pokemon fans just care about it being Pokemon more than overall quality.
see also incineroar

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Ayyy yo we talkin' Nintendo incompetence?
Skip to 2:55 for a rap verse that would make Eminem proud.
To release a game in NA, they probably need Spanish and French on the game as well, so that it can sell in Mexico and in Canada. He's focused on the English content, but I'd be surprised if NoA would only partially release a game over its territory, considering the potential laws that limit release of English-only products in those countries. Canada for sure has provinces where it's illegal to release English-only products, so most companies that publish anything in Canada make sure there's French and English in their content.

So yeah, there's more to it than just having an English product and releasing it worldwide.

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Seems like clickbait tbh. The fact so many are on edge and constantly nagging for info seems to prove to the contrary that interest is dwindling.
Thats mostly in the GameFaqs and SmashBoards forums though. Those places will always be obsessed with Smash 24/7.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Thats mostly in the GameFaqs and SmashBoards forums though. Those places will always be obsessed with Smash 24/7.
Yeah, but every time a fighter gets announced everyone talks about it. Like, even lesser known characters end up on trending on Twitter. I'd say wait until the next reveal to see if interest has truly died down.

Plus, "Smash is dying" is a bit of a hyperbolic statement. It would imply that no one is playing the game, which is definitely not the case here. Just my two cents, but I just feel that saying "it's dying" is a bit much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom