• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
They are absolutely not a nothing burger. Their threat isn't to humans directly, it's to bees, which are extremely important to humans due to their role as pollinators. American bees don't have the Heat Gundam defense mechanism that Asian bees do, so if the murder hornets become established, we're definitely going to have a potential crisis on our hands.
iirc there was either just one or very few murder hornets or bees have already been able to find a way to take care of them. We’re not having a murder hornet crisis.

edit: no, I guess thinking the bees did it was silly. It seems some extermination people have taken care of the identified nests, of which there were few.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Now that Konami is part of the current topic, today is the 10th anniversary of the E3 2010 Konami conference. The greatest conference in gaming history.

Question: When 6 releases, regardless of which ARMs character it is, will you play them or nah? Especially for those who have played ARMs and understand the mechanics to have an idea of how they would translate to smash, do you think their hypothetical moveset and playstyle would be interesting enough to try maining?
I only played ARMS prelaunch, but I'm definitely messing around with whoever it is. I've always been more of a gameplay first type when it comes to fighting games, so that will be the deciding factor for whether they stay in my arsenal. If they're similar to the Belmonts, I'll probably drop them in the long term, but I could also fall in love with the moveset. I'll have to wait and see, though.

I like the idea of variable frame data depending on punch distance, but I don't know if that's actually how things will pan out.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
iirc there was either just one or very few murder hornets or bees have already been able to find a way to take care of them. We’re not having a murder hornet crisis.
Oh okay, last I saw from a June update that there's still the possibility of them becoming established enough to cause problems (with bees needing a year or two to evolve enough to deal with them), but if not enough have survived, then I guess there's nothing to worry about.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ironically, I feel like the people who were most vocal about SwSh's shortcomings are also the ones most likely to buy Pokemon games. Even though quite a few people feel betrayed by SwSh, I haven't seen many people stick with their vow to not purchase the games. The complaints haven't gone away, but they still seem intent on playing the game anyway.
I decided to get Pokémon Shield when week one sales made it already the best selling Pokémon game.

Why protest when it's not going to matter? Let's just play it so I can see for myself how good it is.

Honestly with SWSH the only things that look bad about it are some of the animation quality (most of it) and the improper scaling of pokemon (eternatus and wailord being as tall as pichu). Otherwise, great game.
It's a fun game, but it could and should be so much better in so many aspects in my opinion. Just given the resources it needed (and could easily have gotten in terms of workforce it seems) it could have things like:
  • Quality of life features from previous games.
  • The other half of the national dex.
  • Plots that don't forget they exist half the time.
  • More content in general.
  • Better performance/optimization.
  • Better presentation.
    • Imagine if the games looked like they were drawn by Ken Sugimori.
  • More intellectually stimulating trainer encounters
    • Literally the only strategy the game asks you to overcome is Rihan's double battle sandstorm team, and some rando's F.E.A.R. strategy.
  • Speeding up the battle system.
    • Having the text box and attack animation appear at the same time would already be a major improvement in this regard.
  • Voice acting for the cutscenes that were designed for it.
Were this the place and I had the time, I could go on.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm just going to say that I doubt there is a delay at the moment. If there was going to be a delay, I'm pretty damn sure Nintendo would be upfront about it and let us know about it sometime soonish this month to avoid backlash.

So, I wouldn't worry about their being a delay unless Nintendo themselves say there will be.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I doubt there is a delay on the Smash DLC otherwise we would have heard it from Nintendo by now. The Pokemon direct is because the Pokemon DLC is much closer than the ARMs rep for Smash so of course they'd prioritize the one that is closer.

At least that's what it seems like there IMO.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Given the Pokemon Direct this week makes me think we'll be getting the ARMS rep next week. Normally that follows suit when it comers to newcomers in Smash being revealed whether presentation or through an Nintendo/Smash Direct.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Given the Pokemon Direct this week makes me think we'll be getting the ARMS rep next week. Normally that follows suit when it comers to newcomers in Smash being revealed whether presentation or through an Nintendo/Smash Direct.
However, they could break this tradition, especially considering that we are the middle of a pandemic.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
However, they could break this tradition, especially considering that we are the middle of a pandemic.
Explain this to me then? If this pandemic caused such delays why is it they're still able to do content like Pokemon notably the direct of it tomorrow?

What exactly makes Smash or an Nintendo Direct for that matter so much different?

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Explain this to me then? If this pandemic caused such delays why is it they're still able to do content like Pokemon notably the direct of it tomorrow?

What exactly makes Smash or an Nintendo Direct for that matter so much different?
Because they have to promote the Isle of Armor which comes out tomorrow.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Because they have to promote the Isle of Armor which comes out tomorrow.
By that logic they should reveal the ARMS rep then next week since people are participating it.

Faulty logic dude...Remember Sakurai and the team are working from home, it isn't like they stopped development a few months ago.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Given that occasional history of Smash/Nintendo Directs on Thursdays, they could announce the ARMS video for 6/18 tomorrow right after the Pokemon presentation. Not necessarily likely but still possible.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm pretty sure that the ARMS rep will be delayed.
Now you're just repeating yourself...Ran out of arguments it seems.

Still don't understand your logic how they can still release Pokemon content, promotion or not can't be delayed but Smash can...

Last edited:
I'm wondering if Pokemon and Smash DLC might be spaced out just to keep the eshop from being overloaded. Considering the thing seems to almost break when one big release happens.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Happy Anniversary for ARMS (3rd), Tramua Center: Under the Knife (15th), and The Legendary of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (9th).

If anyone cares about the Pokemon SW/SH EX stuff, if it was originally supposed to be at the end of June 2020, but it been moved to the middle of June.

Also, congrats on
Pyramid Head & Cheryl Mason and other upcoming Silent Hill contents appearing in Dead by Daylight

and furthermore congrats for
Snake having a new look

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Jeez, after today there's still a whole 13 days left in June. Hero didn't come out until the VERY end of July, so I don't know why people are abandoning ship for a June release when there's still plenty of time left.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Entirely different developers. There really isn't any indication that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's development team is having issues though. If there are any, they probably lie in one of two areas:
  • Whoever makes the trailers.
  • If they're dead set on having the DLC characters revealed at the same time as the currently hypothetical ARMS 2, issues with that game's development could cause them to sit on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's DLC characters until they're back on track.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Jeez, after today there's still a whole 13 days left in June. Hero didn't come out until the VERY end of July, so I don't know why people are abandoning ship for a June release when there's still plenty of time left.
Honestly when Nintendo said the ARMS dlc would release in June, I just assumed it would be towards the end of the month anyways especially when we also got the Pokemon DLC coming out on Thursday and I figure they would focus on that first before talking about the Smash DLC.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Exasperation (at least we knew Hero's identity so we could hype for that), being let down, and pandemic.

...Pokemon DLC coming out on Thursday
I thought it was tomorrow...

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
If anyone cares about the Pokemon SW/SH EX stuff, if it was originally supposed to be at the end of June 2020, but it been moved to the middle of June.

Man, I'm still kinda bummed they don't seem to be localizing the Famicom Detective Club remake

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Hopefully new spirits come along today.
The next Smash game will be Super Smash Sisters and only include female characters.

not gender swap - just all of Nintendo’s female characters from mainstream to obscure and some third party guests.

Who will be on the roster??
If it were to have a roster nearly as large as Ultimate's, something like this would be nice.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Hopefully new spirits come along today.

If it were to have a roster nearly as large as Ultimate's, something like this would be nice.
A lot of my most wanteds are on here so not much complaints, but the lack of Pyra/Mythra is just bizarre

Goombaic

Smash Ace
A lot of my most wanteds are on here so not much complaints, but the lack of Pyra/Mythra is just bizarre
Eh, I've always thought solo Pyra was a lame idea, but Pyra would probably be solo in a game like this, so just pretend she's there I guess.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I was going to correct you and say that Birdo is male, but upon further inquiry it seems that he's also trans, so if we're being politically correct I suppose he still fits here.

Eh, I've always thought solo Pyra was a lame idea, but Pyra would probably be solo in a game like this, so just pretend she's there I guess.
Well if we're going off the source material where Blades are playable, it would just be Mythra, as Pyra does not exist in the DLC.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Solo Mythra is a thing in Torna - the Blades wield their assigned weapons instead of passing them on to the driver

D

Deleted member

It's really difficult to go by just Nico Nico (I'm not as well-versed with Japanese websites as I am with Chinese) but when it comes to ARMS a lot of the focus is on the usual suspects (Helix has a bigger presence in the Japanese fanbase, it seems). There are quite a few speculation vids on Nico Nico, after all.

As for FP2, well, you're in luck. There's this video, which is glorious. And not just because it's 269 minutes (screenshot at 11:12) - but also because it was streamed:

View attachment 274989

I know, this is just one example (and a pretty extreme one just by length alone). It's also not the only video on this topic, as said. But still. 11 / 10 material right off the bat. And before you ask, avatars like the 3D hamburger's pretty common in Japanese streams and videos.

Timestamps if anyone is curious (Google Image Search did fail a couple times, but the character list's 99 % there):

ARMS: 20:35
Smash 4 Mii Costumes (with FP1's Costumes brought up): 52:22
Bandai Namco: 58:09 (Tales Of at 63:45, Digimon at 79:40, Miscellaneous Bamco IP at 95:37.)
Spike Chunsoft: 102:22 (Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer)
Taito: 106:28 (Yes, Space Invaders)
Activision Blizzard: 109:50 (Tracer, Crash, CoD - Spyro's notably absent.)
Koei Tecmo: 120:50 (Hayabusa, Nioh, Dynasty Warriors, Atelier, Samurai Warriors)
From Software: 132:00 (Dark Souls, Sekiro)
Level 5: 138:15 (Layton, Inazuma Eleven, Yo-Kai Watch)
Disney: 143:16 (Sora)
Capcom: 147:38 (154:54 is where he focuses on Capcom) (Dante, Phoenix, Amaterasu, Monster Hunter, RE, he inserts Arthur and Firebrand later on)
SEGA: 167:38 (Kiryu, Arle, Segata Sanshiro, he inserts Sakura Wars - both old-school and PS4.)
Square-Enix: 178:06 (Lara Croft, 2B, Bravely Default, Chrono Trigger, he inserts Geno about a minute or two in)
Nintendo: 183:12 (Rex + Pyra / Mythra, Karate Joe, Paper Mario, Dragalia Lost, BWD, Astral Chain, Porky, the GBA Napoleon game (judging by the Napoleon hanafuda card) )
Pokemon Company: 196:30 (Gen 8 starters, Urshifu, Calyrex, Zarude. No Toxicrity nor Zacian / Zamanzeta)

Characters that he didn't make specific slides for, but are visible / talked about:

Steve
Master Chief
Raiden (Metal Gear)
Doomguy
Bomberman
Reimu
Hollow Knight
Quote (Cave Story)
Cadence (CotND)
Shantae
Riki (Kunio-Kun)
(I believe FallOut? Video's capped at 360P, so it's difficult to tell.)

He comes up with several possible FP2s: 205:00, 212:50, he spends at least 15 minutes debating before going with his final FP2 at the 250 minute mark (No Spoilering because this is dedication). Mii Costume guesses at 252:58.

So yes, this dude went and ran a Smash Speculation Marathon. This was live-streamed for more than 4 hours without pause. Yes, one person - but it's undeniable proof that speculation can reach some strange heights over there too. And it's probably the most comprehensive video.
A 4 hour powerpoint presentation on Smash DLC livestreamed by A Japanese Talking Cheeseburger just put every Smash-related YouTuber to shame. Nothing is going to top this.

I am slightly intrigued that Riki is the only ArcSys character mentioned on the list/stream thoe. Maybe the burger did talk a bit more about a few characters but didn't put them on the powerpoint or was just an oversight, but I'm still rather intrigued.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Oh okay, last I saw from a June update that there's still the possibility of them becoming established enough to cause problems (with bees needing a year or two to evolve enough to deal with them), but if not enough have survived, then I guess there's nothing to worry about.
This is false... They found at least 5 specimens in the NW USA, and in western Canada. They've managed to establish at least two colonies, and it's not a "crisis" yet because people are in denial. But if nothing is done and those colonies are not destroyed ASAP, it will be quite the crisis. It doesn't take a lot of specimens to spread, and people in those regions must report any sighting. Especially since that type of wasp becomes more active at the end of Spring, namely, now.

This is the same as any invasive species. It starts as one individual. They spread, and then cause irreparable damage. And bees in America are not the type that can do the murder heat balls, and could be slaughtered faster than anything else, which would be crazy dangerous for human's food supplies...

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So it's possible that they could delay the fighter due to not having the trailer ready...

Honestly I'd prefer they tweet the character reveal and shadow drop it rather than sit on the character until the trailer's finished.
I don't think they're going to delay the fighter at all, but I do expect it within the next two weeks.

If they have to delay it even more, due to unforeseen events, they'll tweet us that it'll be in July.

That said, this kind of stuff is why I don't think Challenger Pack 7 is going to be announced till July. Now August is actually on my mind.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
TBH I only brought up the idea of a delay for the sake of speculation, and maybe even a little exasperation, lol. Real talk? We're more than likely getting news this month, I'm just a pessimistic goof that has a habit of jumping to conclusions. :p

Honestly, though? Nintendo's output hasn't even really been that low this year: We've been getting games, DLC, and news, they just aren't all AAA major franchises and they're being talked about individually instead of all together in a big Direct. In my opinion, the games and updates we've gotten so far are all really solid.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
This is false... They found at least 5 specimens in the NW USA, and in western Canada. They've managed to establish at least two colonies, and it's not a "crisis" yet because people are in denial. But if nothing is done and those colonies are not destroyed ASAP, it will be quite the crisis. It doesn't take a lot of specimens to spread, and people in those regions must report any sighting. Especially since that type of wasp becomes more active at the end of Spring, namely, now.

This is the same as any invasive species. It starts as one individual. They spread, and then cause irreparable damage. And bees in America are not the type that can do the murder heat balls, and could be slaughtered faster than anything else, which would be crazy dangerous for human's food supplies...
I edited my post. I realized what I said sounded silly (just based it off of what I could recall watching/reading so not perfect), and searched it up and read that they took care of some nests. Apparently there was at least one in late 2019 as well, so they don't seem like a big deal right now and I'm sure they're being dealt with if there's more. Experts are saying they're not invading. There doesn't seem to be a reason to worry right now.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't think they're going to delay the fighter at all, but I do expect it within the next two weeks.
The same pessimism that told me that Challenger Pack 5 would miss it's deadline says that there's a good chance for a delay. Let's hope it's wrong again.

EDIT: Heh. You know what? Given it's track record it's not really a credible source now is it? Think it's time to reinstate my hope for next week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom