• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Most people: Exploding in anger and disappointment of a new Pokemon direct and ARMs character is not shown yet.

Me: "Tease Diamond/Pearl remakes, please?"

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I can understand why you'd be annoyed. It's been over nine months now since they announced that we'd get more characters beyond the first Fighters Pass, and we still don't know who any of them are, which seems like a bizarre move.

On top of that, Nintendo's been having an extremely lean 2020 - it's understandable given how the Coronavirus impacted things, but it honestly seems like they had nothing planned before that hit aside from Animal Crossing, a remake of Xenoblade, and a Paper Mario game that was hastily announced last month and is coming out next month.

Normally, this month would be E3, when we find out about what they have lined up for the rest of the year, and so far, we've got nothing, so their entire line-up post-July is a gigantic question mark. (we know that Breath of the Wild 2 and Metroid Prime 4 are coming out at some point, but that could be years from now)
I think when we look back at 2020, it will be better than we thought it actually. 1st half was already way better for Nintendo than other years of the Switch and, while many things will not hit 2020, I still think that the second half will be good for games. The elephant in the room is that Nintendo will only announce these things when close to release, either because they want to release only when you can preload the game or because they will apply the same pocket money tactic that contributed to Animal Crossing's success for as long as they can ("I'll buy Origami King since there's nothing else coming soon"), which is really tiresome for us who want to know what's on the horizon.
Speaking of tiresome, I know Nintendo is unpredictable and all of that, but this is the most unpredictable Nintendo has ever been: Normally, we have certain deadlines that help us determine when to expect them to talk, such as E3. Not only that, but the drip-feeding makes things even more unpredictable and less in comparison, especially considering how much we knew about other years at this point in time. I don't think that Nintendo has been radio silence all year or that 2020 will suck because we know nothing, but the wait for certain announcements or possible rumors to come true or be debunked is getting worse and worse. And that also applies to Smash, especially knowing that development wasn't affected for the next few characters.
I've been doing some other stuff to pass the time (playing Xenoblade DE and Yakuza 0, working on game prototypes, etc), but I wouldn't lie that I want to know more about Pass 2 ASAP, especially knowing that it wasn't delayed.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Shower thought: what if, to make up for the big ass wait, they make the reveal a THREE FOR ONE? FP6, FP7 AND FP8? Under normal circumstances we’d have just got FP6 and FP7 during E3 week. Triple reveals have happened before too - Villager/Mega Man/WFT in 2013, and Lucas/Roy/Ryu in 2015. And I guess Mii/Palutena/PAC-MAN counts too

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Given what's been going on in the world, it's hardly their fault. TBH if we get a delay this late in the month, it would come off to me as them really, REALLY trying to make the June deadline work but things just fell through the cracks.
The virus isn’t an excuse anymore, literally every other company has adapted in some way shape or form.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Shower thought: what if, to make up for the big ass wait, they make the reveal a THREE FOR ONE? FP6, FP7 AND FP8? Under normal circumstances we’d have just got FP6 and FP7 during E3 week. Triple reveals have happened before too - Villager/Mega Man/WFT in 2013, and Lucas/Roy/Ryu in 2015. And I guess Mii/Palutena/PAC-MAN counts too
Nope. Not happening. Especially due to the non-zero chance that the wait is this long because they can't throw a trailer together yet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nope. Not happening. Especially due to the non-zero chance that the wait is this long because they can't throw a trailer together yet.
I find the “can’t throw a trailer together yet” a bit hard to believe. the initial tease was back in March, and if they can work on the character from the safety of their homes, surely they can also communicate with whomever’s in charge of trailers by teleconferencing or something

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I can understand why you'd be annoyed. It's been over nine months now since they announced that we'd get more characters beyond the first Fighters Pass, and we still don't know who any of them are, which seems like a bizarre move.

On top of that, Nintendo's been having an extremely lean 2020 - it's understandable given how the Coronavirus impacted things, but it honestly seems like they had nothing planned before that hit aside from Animal Crossing, a remake of Xenoblade, and a Paper Mario game that was hastily announced last month and is coming out next month.

Normally, this month would be E3, when we find out about what they have lined up for the rest of the year, and so far, we've got nothing, so their entire line-up post-July is a gigantic question mark. (we know that Breath of the Wild 2 and Metroid Prime 4 are coming out at some point, but that could be years from now)
I definitely think Nintendo blew their load last year & this was going to be a Light year anyway. 2018 was similar with the exception of Smash at the very end of the year.

The handling of FP2 so far has been really bad. They started FP1 with a super surprising character that got everyone talking who they announced just a bit after the pass was ready to buy.

This time the pass went up for sale 6 months ago & we still don’t know who the first character is, just what franchise they come from & it’s not even an exciting pick for most people.

They really need to announce the next character alongside the Arms one. The longer the wait, the more the hype keeps dying.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I know he won’t happen, but A aaronitmar made an interring video on Conker in

https://youtu.be/Vdnqr0KJaCg

If Conker got in, his unique play style to me would revolve around a “context sensitive” style game play. I’d even say his forward smash attack would carry over this philosophy with random weapons being used that would range from a frying pan to a katana.

I was never really excited at the concept of Conker in Smash, but this video got me interested

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well on the plus side: the leak that said Spring Man with alts of the other characters on the 16th is officially dead now baybee

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’ve heard rumblings on Japan Internet that the ARMS fighter has been delayed to July. Just rumblings and nothing concrete. Just people speculating like us.

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Ngl, the best part about not caring deeply for speculation anymore and whoever gets revealed next is that I feel nothing about another week of radio silence

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I don’t think ARMS was ever coming out before June 17th. That would underplay the Pokemon DLC. Last week of June was always the most likely

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
What I'm starting to get curious about are the 3D Mario Rereleases. It really seemed like everyone and their dog was confident that those were coming this year, but we're getting radio silence on that front. I guess it could still happen later, but I figured that they'd still show it off in June to coincide with what would be E3.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I think Nintendo’s current strategy is not to announce things until further along in development. This would avoid situations like New Horizons and Metroid 4 which both had their delays hurt company stocks.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don’t think ARMS was ever coming out before June 17th. That would underplay the Pokemon DLC. Last week of June was always the most likely
I don't think that's really a factor, but with a Pokémon presentation this week we won't be getting any sort of other presentation until next week.

What I'm starting to get curious about are the 3D Mario Rereleases. It really seemed like everyone and their dog was confident that those were coming this year, but we're getting radio silence on that front. I guess it could still happen later, but I figured that they'd still show it off in June to coincide with what would be E3.
If they are indeed a thing, I wouldn't be surprised if they were shown of at E3 next year when they can really get a fanfare going instead of "by the way, this exists" like with everything else.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
At most, see can see a two-for-one kinda like :ulthero::ultbanjokazooie:; two characters revealed with gameplay. One's coming out soon, the other later.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
The waiting may be a bit of a pain but I like to think about it this way.

A week longer we're waiting for the ARMS rep is a week less we'll spend waiting for FP7. They might even reveal both characters in the same presentation.

Atleast that's what I'm hoping it means. Their schedule is really questionable right now.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
The waiting may be a bit of a pain but I like to think about it this way.

A week longer we're waiting for the ARMS rep is a week less we'll spend waiting for FP7. They might even reveal both characters in the same presentation.

Atleast that's what I'm hoping it means. Their schedule is really questionable right now.
Never doubt Nintendo's ineptitude

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not sure why everyone is so acting so doom and gloom in here. If something as big as Pokemon is still announcing new stuff in the middle of an epidemic, then I'm sure there are other Nintendo games to be revealed.

We knew from the beginning not to expect too much for June when Nintendo announced that there would he no Direct. I guess that's just now sinking in or people were still expecting everything to be revealed in a manner similar to Origami King.

Like I said before, summer just started. June isn't the only month for announcements.

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
To put this all into perspective, ever since the last Smash trailer dropped (Byleth), we’ve had:

>A global pandemic
>Societal lockdown
>Stock market crash and recession
>Impeachment Trial
>UK officially exiting EU
>UFOs declassified
>Mass riots in the US
>North and South Korea escalation
>India and China now on the brink of war

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To put this all into perspective, ever since the last Smash trailer dropped (Byleth), we’ve had:

>A global pandemic
>Societal lockdown
>Stock market crash and recession
>Impeachment Trial
>UK officially exiting EU
>UFOs declassified
>Mass riots in the US
>North and South Korea escalation
>India and China now on the brink of war
I always knew Byleth would be the one to tear the world apart.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Not sure why everyone is so acting so doom and gloom in here. If something as big as Pokemon is still announcing new stuff in the middle of an epidemic, then I'm sure there are other Nintendo games to be revealed.

We knew from the beginning not to expect too much for June when Nintendo announced that there would he no Direct. I guess that's just now sinking in or people were still expecting everything to be revealed in a manner similar to Origami King.

Like I said before, summer just started. June isn't the only month for announcements.
Because ARMS has become less of a newcomer and more of an arbitrary roadblock: We still don't know who it is or what to expect and we've been strung along for nearly half a year. We're less looking forward to playing Challenger 6 as we are just getting past it so we can move on

We're done waiting on ARMS, we want someone new, we want to see what's next, we want to see what the tone of this pass is going to be, and the one hill we just can't get over is ARMS since Nintendo somehow literally has nothing to show and yet they're still dragging their feet to announce the one thing that is guaranteed good press

This was made like yesterday so the number is off, but you get why we're tense about this after waiting so long

1592322764004.png

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Sure it sucks that the character might be delayed until July. But think about it this way, if its August will that even matter.

Once the character has been revealed and released it won't matter how long we had to wait for it. Heck I remember the agonizing days waiting for "Zelda U" now we are waiting for its sequel as well as the eventual arrival of the almost mythical Metroid Prime 4. All while speculating whatever the heck Nintendo's 'NX' is supposed to be.

The wait is temporary, until we shift our attention to other things that is. We just need some patience and clearly Nintendo isn't in a rush to get things done .

<insert Miyamoto quote here>

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
If they are indeed a thing, I wouldn't be surprised if they were shown of at E3 next year when they can really get a fanfare going instead of "by the way, this exists" like with everything else.
Honestly, I can't really see those games getting delayed by a year unless major development issues unfolded due to COVID. Not only were those said to be Nintendo's celebration of Super Mario Bros' 35th anniversary, it's likely they were this year's big holiday title.

Maybe they'll turn what was originally the E3 Mario Presentation into a day-long event where announcements like the first trailer for Illumination's Mario Movie and the 3-D Remakes are dolloped out over the course of the day? Maybe they could even do that on September 13th, the Japanese release date of Super Mario Bros.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
<insert Miyamoto quote here>
That Miyamoto quote ****ing sucks, I'm convinced he said it because he's bitter that Aonuma won the bet of making a game in 1 year with Majora's Mask
Miyamoto's quote was wise at the time, but with patches, it's not really true anymore. Sure sending out crap and patching it later isn't exactly a good idea, but a rushed game is no longer doomed to stay bad.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Miyamoto's quote was wise at the time, but with patches, it's not really true anymore. Sure sending out crap and patching it later isn't exactly a good idea, but a rushed game is no longer doomed to stay bad.
Nowadays there's an addition that should be made to that quote: "A game delayed too long risks irrelevancy and indifference"

Like, unless you have insane brand loyalty like Nintendo does, delaying a game or anything for far too long risks the chance of the audience just not caring by the time it's finally out. I feel like that's what killed Indivisible, for instance

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Because ARMS has become less of a newcomer and more of an arbitrary roadblock: We still don't know who it is or what to expect and we've been strung along for nearly half a year. We're less looking forward to playing Challenger 6 as we are just getting past it so we can move on

We're done waiting on ARMS, we want someone new, we want to see what's next, we want to see what the tone of this pass is going to be, and the one hill we just can't get over is ARMS since Nintendo somehow literally has nothing to show and yet they're still dragging their feet to announce the one thing that is guaranteed good press

This was made like yesterday so the number is off, but you get why we're tense about this after waiting so long

View attachment 274988
Well, didn't Sakurai himself say that it might take a while for F6 even before the pandemic?

I get that people are becoming impatient, but we've had a set release date since March. Nintendo hasn't changed that yet, so we have a max of two more weeks before we get the new character.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Guys settle down we are getting the Arms rep announced on the 29th, I have a gut hunch on this. 7/11 ad helps this.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Games like Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite and Pokemon Sword/Shield show that games still need a lot of time to cook, even in the age of patches and DLC. MvCI's entire plan was to fix itself using post-release content and Sword/Shield's DLC does look to address a lot of complaints folks had with the base game, but many consider(ed) these efforts too little too late. There's only so much post-release polishing you can do once you've committed to an initial release.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Games like Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite and Pokemon Sword/Shield show that games still need a lot of time to cook, even in the age of patches and DLC. MvCI's entire plan was to fix itself using post-release content and Sword/Shield's DLC does look to address a lot of complaints folks had with the base game, but many consider(ed) these efforts too little too late. There's only so much post-release polishing you can do once you've committed to an initial release.
Conversely, No Man's Sky and Battlefront 2 show that you absolutely can turn an abysmal launch around into genuinely good games with sufficient post launch support.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Nowadays there's an addition that should be made to that quote: "A game delayed too long risks irrelevancy and indifference"

Like, unless you have insane brand loyalty like Nintendo does, delaying a game or anything for far too long risks the chance of the audience just not caring by the time it's finally out. I feel like that's what killed Indivisible, for instance
Indivisible's a crowdfunded indie game which emulated an already niche franchise, not sure why you feel it's a good comparison for a AAA studio worth millions with multiple major releases every year, especially considering Bloodstained had as many delays as Indivisible, missing their initial release dates by 2 years

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't think the SwoShi thing is as good of an example here considering, you know, it sold like 14 million copies regardless of fan backlash

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Street Fighter V as well. People may not love it but they aren't pissed off at it anymore.
Yeah, unless you're a fan of like... Alex, SFV has really put in the work to improve from launch.
It's all down to how much publishers and devs are willing to invest in their products. Do they feel it's worth the risk of putting so many resources into such a task? If it works out, it really works out but if not then that's a pretty big waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom