• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
How is a random flavour of the week (well, a few weeks ago) 4chan post which has no validity (outside of not being debunked) whatsoever being lent towards being real? So if I write a 4chan leak and it names a date which is after when everyone thought the reveal to take place but inevitably didn't, people will actually think my leak has a higher chance of being real over 50%. I never thought I'd have to say this but 4chan leaks are fun to tear through but don't blindly believe them just because they were an obviously fake flavour of the week leak
The 16th isn't from a 4chan leak, it's been rumored for months already. It's the anniversary of ARMS' release.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Claiming ARMS isn’t an actual fighting game but a tech demo is the dumbest argument I’ve read since someone argued that Ice Climber is more popular than SNK games.
D-did this really happen? Ice Climbers has to be one of the worst games with a playable character in Smash.

Lloyd and Heihachi would make sense as E3 type reveals had E3 still been a thing.
I’d say Heihachi would be since Tekken is huge in the US, but I think they’d save Lloyd for a normal direct like they did with Terry.

What do you guys consider to be the most hypest character reveal?

If I had to guess it'd come down to:snake::sonic::4cloud::ultkrool::ultridley::ultjoker::ulthero:and:ultbanjokazooie:

Guess it came down to:snake:/:sonic:or:4cloud:
I wasn’t around for the Brawl hype days. So for me it’s :ultbanjokazooie::ultjoker::ultryu::ultsimon::ultkrool:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The person was talking about that leak which said all alts would have different characters iirc
I feel like the leak just used the anniversary to make it more “believable”

I mean we could get the arms reveal on the 16th but the alts bit could be totally false

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Even so, that's still not an idea that originated a few weeks ago, or from a leak for that matter.
My bad. When they said rumour I thought they meant that leak. I've been seeing tonnes of people discuss it for some reason. And I think everyone should be aware that basically any date including the 16th in June else even I'll have to admit there will be something wrong lol.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

If I had to guess it'd come down to:snake::sonic::4cloud::ultkrool::ultridley::ultjoker::ulthero:and:ultbanjokazooie:

It would be Sonic if I was around for Brawl speculation but it's Joker for me.

Funny how a character most people didn't even consider before his reveal arguably got one of the most positive receptions among all the other DLC characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Which is how genres work. When you have specific elements from a genre, you are labeled part of that genre. Including officially. It's a sports game specifically. With fighting game elements and puzzle game elements. It's no different from calling it a puzzle game as well. In the end, the core genre is sports. People still don't properly acknowledge that despite being more accurate than fighting.

This is no different from the Zelda games being labeled rpg's when they have just as many rpg elements as Punch-Out!! has fighting game elements. That's why people will continue to label it a fighting game, as it has outright elements of a fighting game. It's meant to literally be one-on-one fights between two people throwing punches. Boxing is a fighting-based sport to begin with. Martial Arts fall under sports at times too, but are still a form of fighting as well. It's no different.

Games can be multiple genres at once. It's completely reasonable to say it's a fighting game because it properly falls under that genre in the end. It's not strange at all. Now, the strange part is ignoring it's a sports game in itself. People tend to forget that's the core thing.
Punch-Out!! is a single player game where players can only play as a single character in what amounts to a boss rush. The only things shared with fighting games are melee combat and the presence of a timer, the latter of which most games in general had.

Punch-Out!! is a fighting game the same way that Mega Man is a third person shooter: as in, it isn't one. Those genres have specific conventions that these games lack. Being able to shoot in a third person perspective doesn't make Mega Man a third person shooter. It's nothing like Splatoon (a multiplayer third person shooter) or Uncharted (a single player third person shooter). It's an action platformer.

People are allowed to call Punch-Out!! a fighting game, but they're also allowed to be called wrong for doing so. And they are.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Punch-Out!! is a single player game where players can only play as a single character in what amounts to a boss rush. The only things shared with fighting games are melee combat and the presence of a timer, the latter of which most games in general had.

Punch-Out!! is a fighting game the same way that Mega Man is a third person shooter: as in, it isn't one. Those genres have specific conventions that these games lack. Being able to shoot in a third person perspective doesn't make Mega Man a third person shooter. It's nothing like Splatoon (a multiplayer third person shooter) or Uncharted (a single player third person shooter). It's an action platformer.

People are allowed to call Punch-Out!! a fighting game, but they're also allowed to be called wrong for doing so. And they are.
That's also mostly true for the OG Street Fighter, as well as many early fighting games.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Exactly!
A game doesn't have to be fun, it has to be entertaining. I don't know if I'm using the correct words because english is not my first language, but in my mind they have a slightly different meaning. A fun game is surely entertaining, but there are a lot of entertaining games that are not fun.
An example can be To the Moon: it is not a fun game, but it entertains you and it's a masterpiece in its semplicity.
Or Death Stranding: "fun" is not a word I would use to describe the game, but the great settings and storytelling and the unusual but interesting gameplay are entertaining for the player.
I completely agree with you. I really think people isn't using the right words for this matter. If a game doesn't entertain you that's probably a bad sign, either the game isn't good or you're not enjoying it for different reasons.

Death Stranding is a perfect example of that, now that you mention it. People frequently mocked and bashed the game and most of the complains were basically because it was almost like doing that was the trend and the cool thing. Some were toxic just because it was a game made by Kojima, others did it because console wars, others because they disliked a certain actor involved in the game, and so on.

But very few of them actually took time to inform and investigate themselves about the game and how it works. That game is the perfect example of an entertaining game that isn't fun. Some folks said that the game was "barely a game, but more like a movie" and **** like that, but damn, I can't name a lot of games that demanded me more attention and more interaction with the controller all the time than Death Stranding. You're constantly pressing, touching and even moving your controller when travelling. The premise is simple and I won't deny that could look somewhat stupid, but works really well and if the game catches your interest (because the game is certainly not for everyone, even if this sounds like a cliche), it's almost addictive.

Ironically, people usually demands creativity and new things to AAA projects, but then Death Stranding happened and that same people were complaining about the game because they "didn't understand what Death Stranding is about". Of course, most of them didn't even played the game.

So yeah, a game doesn't have to be fun in order to be a good game. That's not a requisite, and a game not being fun isn't bad at all, because maybe it's just me, but there aren't a lot of games I could name where I had a legit feeling of fun while playing. Like, I have played a lot of RPG or action/adventure games, and I was for sure entertained most of times, but having fun? That's a completely different thing.
I guess fun could be more associated to "non-realistic" games, such as platformers? I guess so.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Coming from someone who's only followed Smash prerelease since 3DS/Wii U, I'd say my personal top 3 consists of :4pacman:,:ultinkling:(mostly due to the reveal of Ultimate itself), and:ultbyleth:

Honorable mentions to :4greninja:,:4cloud:, and:ultincineroar:

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I completely agree with you. I really think people isn't using the right words for this matter. If a game doesn't entertain you that's probably a bad sign, either the game isn't good or you're not enjoying it for different reasons.

Death Stranding is a perfect example of that, now that you mention it. People frequently mocked and bashed the game and most of the complains were basically because it was almost like doing that was the trend and the cool thing. Some were toxic just because it was a game made by Kojima, others did it because console wars, others because they disliked a certain actor involved in the game, and so on.

But very few of them actually took time to inform and investigate themselves about the game and how it works. That game is the perfect example of an entertaining game that isn't fun. Some folks said that the game was "barely a game, but more like a movie" and **** like that, but damn, I can't name a lot of games that demanded me more attention and more interaction with the controller all the time than Death Stranding. You're constantly pressing, touching and even moving your controller when travelling. The premise is simple and I won't deny that could look somewhat stupid, but works really well and if the game catches your interest (because the game is certainly not for everyone, even if this sounds like a cliche), it's almost addictive.

Ironically, people usually demands creativity and new things to AAA projects, but then Death Stranding happened and that same people were complaining about the game because they "didn't understand what Death Stranding is about". Of course, most of them didn't even played the game.

So yeah, a game doesn't have to be fun in order to be a good game. That's not a requisite, and a game not being fun isn't bad at all, because maybe it's just me, but there aren't a lot of games I could name where I had a legit feeling of fun while playing. Like, I have played a lot of RPG or action/adventure games, and I was for sure entertained most of times, but having fun? That's a completely different thing.
I guess fun could be more associated to "non-realistic" games, such as platformers? I guess so.
I've always heard Death Stranding being described as not a game, but an experience.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

For me? Oddly enough :pt:

I never would have thought of that mechanic and I love the choices (:charizard: is awesome, and I really started to like :squirtle: as a Pokémon because of him). Even during the "Everyone is Here" trailer, :ultsquirtle: was the character that was most on my mind afterwards.

Also :ultridley: and :ultkrool: trailers and the :4mewtwo: announcement (since I was relatively unimpressed with Sm4sh's roster)

...funny, I've never been huge on guest characters unless it's a character that I already liked from outside. I guess that's another difference in how people take third parties - some people like to be introduced to new things, but some want the connection beforehand. It's why in Brawl, I thought :sonic: was a great addition, but I had no clue who :snake: was.

I'm not anti third parties, it's just that when I get interested in a series because of a guest character, it's more the other way around. I still don't really care much about the third party universes in Smash that I never had connection to, but there are games where I've had a ggreat connection to the guest and that got me into the main series. Case in point: Soul Calibur. I wouldn't even have given that a second look if they didn't have Link in SCII, and now it's one of my favorite fighting games.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
NintendoVS just tweeted about the Splatoon 2 tournament. NOA may retweet it soon

if there was ever a time to build up to big reveals, this is it

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that the reveal will be on the 16th. Anniversaries mean nothing when it comes to reveals now.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You know, maybe I'm just weird, but I'm currently playing through Death Stranding and I'm having a huge amount of fun with it. I don't think I've ever played a game where you had to be as constantly engaged as in this one, even walking is something that you're constantly thinking about and strategizing. You can't really zone out and stop paying attention, unless you're driving down a road on your truck, and even then if you've got roads, you've earned that relaxation. There's a really strong satisfaction about doing a run where things go off without a hitch, where you've planned so well that nothing eventful happens.

I really want to start calling Mega Man a third person shooter just to see how people react, because I'd never made that connection and my mind is blown.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't think that the reveal will be on the 16th. Anniversaries mean nothing when it comes to reveals now.
Well it's today or bust, and it's looking like a bust, so if it is next week, I wouldn't be surprised if it was next Tuesday, especially if they're doing something more with the ARMS franchise.

Realistically though I see it happening on the 23rd or 26th.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

If we're going for the hypest reveal on a personal level, for me, it would have to be :4bayonetta::ultridley::ultbanjokazooie:

I don't quite remember how I reacted to Brawl's initial reveal - I had really wanted Meta Knight and Wario to get into Smash, but I guess I figured they'd be included eventually. The fact that Nintendo was including third party characters was cool, but I didn't really know who Snake was (his reveal encouraged me to try Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes), and with Snake being in the game, it seemed really obvious that we'd get Sonic at some point.

Mega Man was kind of in the same boat, where he had a great reveal, but his inclusion almost seemed like a given. In contrast, I honestly thought that Banjo, Kazooie, and Bayonetta would never make it in, even though they were some of my most wanted, so seeing them make it in (with Bayo being the grand finale of Smash 4, and Banjo getting this amazing CGI trailer) was a huge surprise for me and incredibly exciting in a way that's almost impossible to describe. Ridley had nowhere near the amount of barriers in his way as those two, but Sakurai seemed pretty adamant that they couldn't make Ridley playable while still making him feel like Ridley.

As a side note, K. Rool probably would have made it on the list, but after Ridley's reveal, K. Rool seemed a lot more likely - it didn't seem as hopeless as it did with Ridley, Bayonetta, or Banjo-Kazooie. As for Snake and Cloud, I wasn't as familiar with them at the time, so while I thought they were cool inclusions, and I was excited to see them in the game, I didn't fully grasp the significance or feel the excitement like others did.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I've always heard Death Stranding being described as not a game, but an experience.
Yeah, that's also a fine way to describe it.
The "multiplayer" thing that the game has helps to reinforce that definition as well. You can play without being connected, of course, and even if you're connected you can decide not to use anything related to the multiplayer aspect of the game, but I think doing that means losing a good part of the experience.

Is somewhat similar to Journey in that regard, for anyone who has played Journey. You don't physically see other people in Death Stranding, but people can help each other in multiple ways: messages, signals, vehicles, equipment, gadgets, etc. It's like you're constantly surrounded by the ghosts of other players and their actions, you can 'feel' them through your journey.
I, a lot of times, decided to left or builld a ladder, a tower or anything in multiple places despite that I didn't need it for travellings, but I did that hoping other it could help other players. Obviously, I wasn't the only one, because I was frequently helped by others. After all it's a game about connections.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

:ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool::ultrichter: :sonic:and seeing :4falcon:return in Smash 4.:ulthero2: was also a nice surprise.

I don't remember having much of a reaction to newcomers during base game smash 4 and the Brawl days.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So I assume everyone here saw that "Vergeben" DM.?

And I guess the consesus is that someone used Inspect element to bait people?

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
What would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario where the first AT promotion ends up being Midna?
Great, if they indeed go with her other appearance, and yes, I believe there would be some spoilers no matter who shows up in Fighter Pass 2.

Also, this was in the news the other days.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hey guys the PS5 event is about to go live if you can keep all discussion on it in THE SOCIAL THREAD as to not clog this one up. THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom