• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Anywho
:ultmario: Waluigi
:ultdk:Dixie
:ultwario:Mona
:ultlink:Daruk
:ultsamus:Anthony Higgs
:ultkirby:Magolor
:ultfox:Slippy
:ultpikachu:Chandelure
:ultness:Porky
:ultfalcon:Samurai Goroh
:ulticeclimbers:Polar Bear
:ultmarth:Edelgard
:ultgnw:Lion
:ultpit:Hades
:ultsnake:Raiden
:ultolimar:Charlie
:ultrob:Smick
:ultsonic:Dr. Eggman
:ultvillager:Blathers
:ultmegaman:Dr. Wily
:ultwiifittrainer:Balance Board
:ultlittlemac:Glass Joe
:ultmiifighters:Tabuu
:ultpacman:Spooky
:ultshulk:Melia
:ultduckhunt:The Tree on the Left
:ultryu:As much as I wanna say Dhalsim, Chun-Li
:ultcloud:Barret or Tifa. I'd love either one.
:ultbayonetta:Jeanne
:ultinkling:DJ Octavio
:ultsimon:As much as I'd like Eric or Sypha, Alucard
:ultjoker:Haru
:ulthero:Rab
:ultbanjokazooie:Gruntilda
:ult_terry:Geese Howard
ARMS: Lola Pop since it's not gonna be her lol
Son of a ***** when I saw the letter A after the Samus icon I was about to 'authorize' my fight or flight instincts
Not trying to sound rude, but I don't know, I'll never get why people only talk like this when it's about FGC characters, when we only have 3 characters that fit the bill. And these opinions already existed prior to Terry.
It's obvious, they see QCFs and burst into tears, as it reminds them too much of the motion needed to turn on the shower and complain that it's too hard to do before flawlessly doing Peach combos

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Son of a ***** when I saw the letter A after the Samus icon I was about to 'authorize' my fight or flight instincts
Why on earth is do nothing your only authorized response?

It's obvious, they see QCFs and burst into tears, as it reminds them too much of the motion needed to turn on the shower and complain that it's too hard to do before flawlessly doing Peach combos
*can RAR perfectly without fail*
*can't do 2 3 6 2 3 6 A*
"Zomg this is too hard!"

Wat?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
You know, I think my 3 most wanted SEGA characters-Arle, Axel and Sakura-all fill a genre role never truly seen before in Smash when it comes to fighters.

Arle: Puzzle
Axel: Beat 'em up
Sakura: Dating sim (FE doesn't count because Three Houses was the first game to truly explore this)

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
If BOTW2 Zelda got in, what do you guys think her name would be?

Wild Zelda is probably the most obvious one but I don't think it fits her aesthetic lol

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
I don't think anything is outright confirmed. There's mostly rumors about 2D Metroid and some Mario remakes/remasters or whatever. Maybe there's more info for the Smash character and a little something for the release of Pokemon's DLC, but again, we don't know when. It's been a while, so I understand being anxious.

Hey, your this place's resident Sega Man. Who'd be your top 3 Sega characters?

Don't forget about the supposed rumor of a "ARMS 2" from the Smash community because of the ARMS promotion. I on the other hand, believe that the ARMS promotion from Smash is instead going to be a shadow drop of a ARMS character(s) appearing in Mario Kart because Kosuke Yabuki who is the producer of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe also produced ARMS.

Top Sega 3 characters
1. Ulala (Space Channel 5)
2. Pairon/Wang Bailong (Blade Arcus from Shining)
3. Erica Fontaine (Sakura Wars)

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
:ultmario:: Waluigi
:ultdk:: Dixie Kong
:ultlink:: CD-i Ganon
:ultsamus:: Kraid
:ultyoshi:: Poochy
:ultkirby:: Bandana Dee
:ultfox:: Andross
:ultpikachu:: Toxtricity
:ultness:: Porky
:ultfalcon:: Bio-Rex
:ultmarth:: None
(Take a break, you got too many reps)
:ultpit:: Hades
:ultwario:: Shake King
:ultolimar:: Titan Dweevil
:ultsnake:: Psycho Mantis
:ultsonic:: Dr. Eggman
:ultvillager:: Tom Nook
:ultmegaman:: Dr. Wily
:ultpacman:: Spooky
:ultwiifittrainer:: Wii Fit Board
:ultduckhunt:: Tree
:ultryu:: Chun-Li
:ultbayonetta:: Father Balder
:ultinkling:: DJ Octavio
:ultsimon:: Death
:ultjoker:: Morgana
:ulthero:: Slime
:ultbanjokazooie:: Gruntilda

:ult_terry:: Mai
:ultmiifighters:: Hammer (Wields a large hammer like Dedede)
ARMS: Helix

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Tbf FGC purists act like numpad rotation's sooo hard too...
I heard about that at the same time I learned the notation. It's such a simple concept that I don't know how you'd even not learn it on purpose given the explanation of "the num-pad is the stick, and 5 is the starting position".

I'd say "and I don't even play traditional fighting games well, or even very often", but I could probably explain this concept to my mom with little effort so that wouldn't be saying much.

...but yeah, Smash fans tend to exaggerate input commands beyond belief
The funniest thing about it is that I've never seen complaints about the actually hard motions like the dragon punch. It's always the quarter circles. lol

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I heard about that at the same time I learned the notation. It's such a simple concept that I don't know how you'd even not learn it on purpose given the explanation of "the num-pad is the stick, and 5 is the starting position".

I'd say "and I don't even play traditional fighting games well, or even very often", but I could probably explain this concept to my mom with little effort so that wouldn't be saying much.

The funniest thing about it is that I've never seen complaints about the actually hard motions like the dragon punch. It's always the quarter circles. lol
I saw a video about GGStrive newcomers and the girl streaming the game realized what numpad was by... Looking at her keyboard. Years of fighting about being too hard to understand, invalidated.

DPs aren't even hard, you just need practise, wait till we get pretzel motions or that ****ing pentagram motion
tumblr_lyjo5y71OR1qd9g7oo1_640.jpg

Next time you whine about Hadouken being too hard, consider this absolute ****ery

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Fighting game inputs in Smash really isn't that bad (except Z-inputs, screw Z-inputs and whoever thought those were a good idea to make a standard input for most fighters) but especially in Smash they just feel pointless when the standard Smash Specials can accomplish the same attacks but with fewer button presses.

Even in real fighting games, it feels like the only reason why QC and HCs are still around is purely grandfather clause, given we have more than enough buttons and sticks on modern controllers to do most attacks with at most three inputs, and any FGC gamer worth their salt can easily and consistently do literally any input on command. (Also for mind games when you're teabagging)

The only time I feel like fighting game inputs work is Mortal Kombat's Fatalities, because there it's supposed to feel like you're inputting a secret code to unlock this super-awesome special. Otherwise, I'm generally not a fan of having to enter mini-passwords just to do one attack.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I never really needed the Numpad rotations. Just give me arrows and I'll figure out the rest.

Besides, Fireballs and Half Circles aren't very hard. SRK's can be a little tricky, but are manageable. And MK style inputs are even easier. I think 360's can be a little finicky for what's pretty easy to understand on paper.

cool6012

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cool6012
3DS FC
5455-9651-7560
Even in real fighting games, it feels like the only reason why QC and HCs are still around is purely grandfather clause, given we have more than enough buttons and sticks on modern controllers to do most attacks with at most three inputs, and any FGC gamer worth their salt can easily and consistently do literally any input on command. (Also for mind games when you're teabagging)

The only time I feel like fighting game inputs work is Mortal Kombat's Fatalities, because there it's supposed to feel like you're inputting a secret code to unlock this super-awesome special. Otherwise, I'm generally not a fan of having to enter mini-passwords just to do one attack.

Inputs are still around because they're a staple of the genre, the amount of buttons has never been why inputs exist. They're around to add a level of mechanical complexity. The whole point of Smash is being simple, hence why it doesn't have inputs. Also I think fatalities are a bad example since they literally have 1 button versions now.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Besides, Fireballs and Half Circles aren't very hard. SRK's can be a little tricky, but are manageable.
Yeah they aren't bad at all as someone who plays other fighting games.

Terry is relatively easy to control for me.

Ryu and Ken are much harder due to the duration based inputs. That screws me up every time.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Timing charge moves can be weird. Like, Rising Tackle/Flash Kick type moves(Hold Down then go Up) are a little easier if you ask me. But I have a harder time with Sonic Booms(Back to Forward). Again, MK inputs and Saberwulf are like charge motions but immediate.

Trying to do a Sonic Boom while in a 4 player Smash game sounds like the opposite of for me tho. If Chun ever gets added, I hope he EX versions are gonna be her 3S inputs since Half Circles are EZPZ.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Timing charge moves can be weird. Like, Rising Tackle/Flash Kick type moves(Hold Down then go Up) are a little easier if you ask me. But I have a harder time with Sonic Booms(Back to Forward). Again, MK inputs and Saberwulf are like charge motions but immediate.

Trying to do a Sonic Boom while in a 4 player Smash game sounds like the opposite of for me tho. If Chun ever gets added, I hope he EX versions are gonna be her 3S inputs since Half Circles are EZPZ.
Tbf horizontal charge moves have you move instead of sitting in place, which is why they seem harder. Charge moves were even made to be easier inputs iirc

Krankees

Smash Ace
Just be glad there aren't any characters that have specials that require holding and releasing the buttons. I love playing Under Night but I'm never gonna be able to play Vatista with a controller.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
DPs aren't even hard, you just need practise...
I can do them, just not consistently. As a first time player though, it is a bit difficult to wrap your brain around 623 without accidentally doing 6323. Heh, at least I was practicing in MvC3 instead of Street Fighter 2 or something where it's much less lenient on what it considers to be straight down.

...that ****ing pentagram motion
Tap jump is always a thing in traditional fighting games. Why does this exist? Though if it weren't for that it sounds decently easy execution wise. Just draw a star with your thu-*sees that it starts from the left and adds an extra, unnecessary line to the motion* Just...why?

I never really needed the Numpad rotations. Just give me arrows and I'll figure out the rest.
It's more for verbal explanations.

Tbf horizontal charge moves have you move instead of sitting in place, which is why they seem harder. Charge moves were even made to be easier inputs iirc
For me, charge motions were very difficult because I could never tell how long I needed to charge them for. (I've only messed with charge characters in Street Fighter 2)

I bet they'd require very little charge for these types of moves in Super Smash Bros. since backward movement is much faster. I mean, Terry's is super quick, and his is just a down up motion.

There is no logic to that motion.

What the absolute hell is that?
Don'cha know? You gotta know what suffering is in order to summon it.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
It's that collective mentality of people looking down on others for preferring female characters. Someone can even have a preference skewed a bit more towards female characters but there's still likely more reasons why they like those characters, like personality, design, how they would fight, ability to connect with those kinds of characters on a more personal level, etc.

Or even aesthetic reasons. I personality prefer female characters most of the time cause I find it very difficult to be motivated enough to play characters that aren't aesthetically pleasing to me. Female characters fulfill that for me, and aesthetic is an important part of many people's character choices in fighting games, so I really don't understand what the problem is. That doesn't mean I like characters only cause they're female, cause they still have to have a design and personality that appeals to me aside from that.
Oh, I'm the same way. I'll always prefer a good character that has both a good design and a good personality..but aesthetics play a huge role in how much I'll like a character, game, series, etc..I just can't play something if I find its artstyle or graphical style ugly or unappealing..its a huge part of why I couldn't play Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon due to its ugly graphics and less appealing artstyle..and also why most Western games just don't appeal to me.

Yeah, some people are motivated by Horny ***** Technology. But obviously that isn't everyone. I think Male Robin has a better design cause his hair doesn't look kind of childish. I also feel the same about preferring female Corrin, who's hair style isn't stupid. Shallow preferences? Sure. But that's my preference on the two. And I'm sure other people feel the same way. Granted, I don't use those two a ton. I like using Black Boy Inkling, probably because I'm a Black and Hispanic dude being part of that reason. And the mask. Masks are cool.

I admit to having 0 interest in most Tales stuff, but I like Shantae's games a lot. So I get how supporting a character for many reasons, and some might assume it's strictly because you're powered by Horny ***** Technology.
Oh, I get you, I love the Shantae series, and Shantae herself, as well..and then I also love the Fate/series and the Senran Kagura series, the latter of which especially tends to get written off as purely pervy fan service when it actually has more to offer (the amount of fan service is actually part of the series I think could be lessened a bit..I prefer the character interactions and the actually rather dark plot points)..so I'm really used to people just assuming I'm some pervert and that's the only reason I like those series..

Last edited:
If BOTW2 Zelda got in, what do you guys think her name would be?

Wild Zelda is probably the most obvious one but I don't think it fits her aesthetic lol
Champion Zelda. Princess Zelda. Or just Zelda. We have Roy and Roy.
Super Saiyajin Goddess Zelda ... ?

*sweats nervously*
dbs-1063333-1280x0.png.jpg

Just Zelda would be fine imo with a written indication like ' Zelda (BotW) ' or not.

Speaking of BotW 2, i wonder if we'll get a trailer/release date in the next days or weeks, assuming that if Nintendo had something to show they would have kept it for E3 season. It's also entirely possible that they're not ready to show anything yet which is totally ok, i'm just excited at the prospect of getting some news about the game ngl.

As for the probability of getting a BotW 2 fighter in Smash, as it was discussed before, since we basically know nothing about the game release date or cast of characters (except that Zelda got a haircut and Ganondorf's corpse is there at some point) all we can do is taking some wild guesses.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'd like to think that if we were to get a BotW2 rep, that it wouldn't be another Zelda.

It'd be nice to have a non-triforce character get added.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'd like to think that if we were to get a BotW2 rep, that it wouldn't be another Zelda.

It'd be nice to have a non-triforce character get added.
"Oh...Okay."

"nice to see that ATs aren't a death sentence anymore."

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario where the first AT promotion ends up being Midna?
People around here might not be too keen on it cause we got a lot of stick in the muds, but most people would go nuts.

Midna had a lot of requests for Brawl and she's a very popular Zelda character. You probably would see very few complaints.

osby

Smash Obsessed
What would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario where the first AT promotion ends up being Midna?
No Spring Man is a bummer but I'd be hyped. Midna is legit one of my favorite Zelda characters and is one of my brother's most wanteds.

Though, I hope they'll go with her imp design and not [SPOILERS FOR A 14-YEAR-OLD-GAME]

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
No Spring Man is a bummer but I'd be hyped. Midna is legit one of my favorite Zelda characters and is one of my brother's most wanteds.

Though, I hope they'll go with her imp design and not [SPOILERS FOR A 14-YEAR-OLD-GAME]
Spoiler alert: Shiek is Zelda, Aerith dies and Samus is a girl. Sorry to ruin your gaming experience. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom