• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
My main Zelda character I WANT is Skull Kid, it’s one of the main reasons I was so excited when he didn’t show up as an Assist and entered the speculation scene because Majora’s Mask and MGS4 are tied for my favorite game of all time.

But, because of her legacy, I would choose Impa. Or y’know Tingle but eh, not a fan.

Shroob

Sup?
My main Zelda character I WANT is Skull Kid, it’s one of the main reasons I was so excited when he didn’t show up as an Assist and entered the speculation scene because Majora’s Mask and MGS4 are tied for my favorite game of all time.

But, because of her legacy, I would choose Impa. Or y’know Tingle but eh, not a fan.
Something tells me Tingle's chances aren't that great when Nintendo themselves knows just how much the west hates Tingle.

I like Tingle, but I'm well aware of the talk about Tingle, especially during Wind Waker times, and how most of that **** didn't fly back then and especially wouldn't fly nowadays.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Something tells me Tingle's chances aren't that great when Nintendo themselves knows just how much the west hates Tingle.

I like Tingle, but I'm well aware of the talk about Tingle, especially during Wind Waker times, and how most of that **** didn't fly back then and especially wouldn't fly nowadays.
He'd also likely be labeled as a Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland character, which means he technically wouldn't be a The Legend of Zelda character.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
He'd also likely be labeled as a Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland character, which means he technically wouldn't be a The Legend of Zelda character.
The Tingle spirit is labeled under Zelda though.

...Then again we have Mario spin off spirits that are all over the place.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So, I've been doing some thinking, never a good idea, I know, but an argument often made against Western characters is lack of popularity, and I'm not quite sure if that's fair to dismiss them for, let's take Crash, we know for a fact he's popular there, but how about another Western Sony property? Nobody would dare say God of War is popular in Japan, at most, people here would be able to say that the games got censored when brought over to Japan. What I recently found out however, is that the newest installment sold 75,608 copies in a couple of weeks there and that the franchise had enough popularity to get referenced in Danganronpa. The reference is left out in the localization but the character clearly says "God of War!" if you set the language to Japanese instead of the Bayonetta reference we got. One thing we often fail to consider is that Japan's gaming community is also smaller than America's gaming community alone, so a Western franchise being able to sell pretty decently despite supposed lack of interest is pretty interesting to me.

TLDR: Japan likes Western **** too including God of War, we're playing their supposed distaste up and should sit in the corner and think about what we did

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So, I've been doing some thinking, never a good idea, I know, but an argument often made against Western characters is lack of popularity, and I'm not quite sure if that's fair to dismiss them for, let's take Crash, we know for a fact he's popular there, but how about another Western Sony property? Nobody would dare say God of War is popular in Japan, at most, people here would be able to say that the games got censored when brought over to Japan. What I recently found out however, is that the newest installment sold 75,608 copies in a couple of weeks there and that the franchise had enough popularity to get referenced in Danganronpa. The reference is left out in the localization but the character clearly says "God of War!" if you set the language to Japanese instead of the Bayonetta reference we got. One thing we often fail to consider is that Japan's gaming community is also smaller than America's gaming community alone, so a Western franchise being able to sell pretty decently despite supposed lack of interest is pretty interesting to me.

TLDR: Japan likes Western **** too including God of War, we're playing their supposed distaste up and should sit in the corner and think about what we did
But you don’t understand Gwen. People on this forum didn’t understand who Joker, Hero, and Terry were so that’s the fault of Sakurai appealing to only Japan. C’mon. Don’t be so dense.

In all seriousness I do think we’ve reached the point that most popular Japanese 3rd parties are well represented with a few exceptions and that it would be in Nintendo’s best interest to start looking into Western appeal. Whether they will or not is a different story but mass appeal games in America and Europe like Halo, Tomb Raider, Crash, and Doom would be an easy way to draw interest back to Smash Bros. Even after the game has been out for 2 years. Especially when it comes to Chief or Slayer considering how impossible both of those seem.

Also, also, all things considered there really aren’t that many Western 3rd parties often brought up in Speculation. Those I mentioned and Rayman are really it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
But you don’t understand Gwen. People on this forum didn’t understand who Joker, Hero, and Terry were so that’s the fault of Sakurai appealing to only Japan. C’mon. Don’t be so dense.

In all seriousness I do think we’ve reached the point that most popular Japanese 3rd parties are well represented with a few exceptions and that it would be in Nintendo’s best interest to start looking into Western appeal. Whether they will or not is a different story but mass appeal games in America and Europe like Halo, Tomb Raider, Crash, and Doom would be an easy way to draw interest back to Smash Bros. Even after the game has been out for 2 years. Especially when it comes to Chief or Slayer considering how impossible both of those seem.

Also, also, all things considered there really aren’t that many Western 3rd parties often brought up in Speculation. Those I mentioned and Rayman are really it.
Usually because the response is "They're not popular in Japan so not happening. The current character's like this were only added because they're first party."

On another note: I heard Rayman is quite popular in Europe.

Shroob

Sup?
Usually because the response is "They're not popular in Japan so not happening. The current character's like this were only added because they're first party."

Well, he was made by a French development team, so that kinda makes sense.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
smash fans go "They would never get in, Japan don't know 'em!" one second and go "Whadda **** is a toe hoe?" the next :nifty:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well, he was made by a French development team, so that kinda makes sense.
I mention this because people seemed to write him off due to being incredibly niche. But if this isn't quite the case, I'd say he's actually a pretty strong contender even with Ezio still on the table.

smash fans go "They would never get in, Japan don't know 'em!" one second and go "Whadda **** is a toe hoe?" the next :nifty:
It's ok because popularity in Japan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> popularity everywhere else. :4pacman:

That and the counterargument seemed to be that she's not actually all that popular in Japan either...

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord

It's his time to shine.

Smugness intensifies.

Attachments

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That and the counterargument seemed to be that she's not actually all that popular in Japan either...
Well, how did they prove that? Because I both never saw and literally cannot find the source of whatever argument is going on.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well, how did they prove that? Because I both never saw and literally cannot find the source of whatever argument is going on.
It was the one from last night. Some people told them it was as popular as Dragon Quest (which is obviously a dumb claim) and I feel like they got stuck on that. I remember them being like "there aren't any Tohou concerts or cafés so it's clearly not that popular" which I didn't get at all as an argument.

EDIT: From what I gather the series is pretty low key, but present in more places than you'd expect.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It was the one from last night. Some people told them it was as popular as Dragon Quest (which is obviously a dumb claim) and I feel like they got stuck on that. I remember them being like "there aren't any Tohou concerts or cafés so it's clearly not that popular" which I didn't get at all as an argument.

EDIT: From what I gather the series is pretty low key, but present in more places than you'd expect.
I thought the comparison was Sakura Wars for that despite Sakura Wars being dormant for a long ass time but Touhou has internet memes

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I thought the comparison was Sakura Wars for that despite Sakura Wars being dormant for a long ass time but Touhou has internet memes
Ah! That was it. I guess I didn't have the full context. My previous statements should be disregarded if that was the case.

EDIT: That, and Sakura Wars is so off my radar that I forgot about it.
EDIT EDIT: I know that's not what it is, but I just imagined that Sakura Wars is a game where all the Sakuras of gaming and anime duke it out.

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Imagine not going for our first YouTube rep, Rabbid Luigi
His taunts would be reminding viewers to subscribe and hit the bell for notifications, and his victory screen dialogue would have to start with “Thishasbeenrabbidluigi”

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace

Yeah Rayman is pretty big in Europe, and decently known in America, it's mainly Japan and that's he's not too known. Still a gaming icon, just not one of the huge ones.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Being a Western character is not going to stop them from being in Smash... But it does lower their chances. I do think Japanese characters are more likely simply because it's easier to work with people who speak the same language. Sakurai and his team are not opposed to adding Western 3rd parties, but it is something he vocally expressed concern over.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So, an amiibo restock is listed for June 12th on Best Buy's website for a bunch of Smash amiibo.

1590650929578.png

Not only that, but a polish retailer has listed another amiibo restock date of September 18th.

1590651219022.png

Provided these are new amiibo waves, these could provide release windows for the release of Fighter 6 and Fighter 7 due to Amiibo Theory.

I actually threw these dates into mathematical models I've created (based on Amiibo Theory!) to output Smash release dates before and after an amiibo wave, and here's what I got for both.

DLC6:
DLC7:
These release date estimates are not meant to be taken seriously, and are only meant to aid predictions. Sometimes, it will output dates that don't make "conventional sense". However, they do at least provide a decent guidebook I think.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Why can Mario get side characters and one-offs but Zelda can't? I always see the argument that "you don't need a Twilight Princess rep because Link is the main character, he reps it just fine" but Mario Galaxy clearly gets a rep in Rosalina even though Mario's the main character and should also rep it just fine.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Been busy on Uni work yesterday, but I thought I'd toss my hat in from that game being played yesterday for most wanted third-parties from various companies. I thought I'd be happy to share my thoughts on that for a second, so why not?
Konami: Raiden
Sega: Kazuma Kiryu
Capcom: Phoenix Wright or Dante (I would love either of them but Phoenix is my preference)
Bandai-Namco: Chosen Undead
Square Enix: Lara Croft
Microsoft: Master Chief
SNK: Marco/Tarma/Eri/Fio
...and a tiny shout-out to Isaac for Nintendo

A few bonus companies to share:
Bethesda: Doomguy
Ubisoft: Rayman
Koei-Tecmo: Ryu Hayabusa
WayForward: Shantae
Last but not least, ZUN/Shanghai Alice: Reimu

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Why can Mario get side characters and one-offs but Zelda can't? I always see the argument that "you don't need a Twilight Princess rep because Link is the main character, he reps it just fine" but Mario Galaxy clearly gets a rep in Rosalina even though Mario's the main character and should also rep it just fine.
I mean...short answer, Rosalina is not a one-off.

She's in at least 3 core Mario games, and PLAYABLE in one of those(3D World), and has become a regular in spinoff sports/party titles.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

She's in at least 3 core Mario games, and PLAYABLE in one of those(3D World), and has become a regular in spinoff sports/party titles.
With that criteria the only big difference is that Mario has a ton of spin-offs and Zelda doesn't. I think it's unfair that just because there's a Mario Kart and not a Zelda Kart, they get treated differently. Especially when Hyrule Warriors is a thing and most of the one-offs are in it.

Skull Kid is also in three core Zelda games, by the way, and he's as much representative of Majora's Mask as Rosalina is of Galaxy.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

Agreed. Wart is also not a one-off character.
He appeared in five core Mario games: Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario All-Stars (SNES), Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World, Super Mario Advanced, and Super Mario All-Stars (Wii).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
With that criteria the only big difference is that Mario has a ton of spin-offs and Zelda doesn't. I think it's unfair that just because there's a Mario Kart and not a Zelda Kart, they get treated differently.
You think it's unfair that the series that has way more games gets more characters?

Also, there IS a Zelda Kart. It's called Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. It's just not a very good Zelda Kart.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
You think it's unfair that the series that has way more games gets more characters?

Also, there IS a Zelda Kart. It's called Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. It's just not a very good Zelda Kart.
Them's fighting words.
8D is the best Mario Kart, and I've been playing since '96.

Shroob

Sup?
So, an amiibo restock is listed for June 12th on Best Buy's website for a bunch of Smash amiibo.

View attachment 273010

Not only that, but a polish retailer has listed another amiibo restock date of September 18th.

View attachment 273011

Provided these are new amiibo waves, these could provide release windows for the release of Fighter 6 and Fighter 7 due to Amiibo Theory.

I actually threw these dates into mathematical models I've created (based on Amiibo Theory!) to output Smash release dates before and after an amiibo wave, and here's what I got for both.

DLC6:
DLC7:
These release date estimates are not meant to be taken seriously, and are only meant to aid predictions. Sometimes, it will output dates that don't make "conventional sense". However, they do at least provide a decent guidebook I think.
Makes sense to me. DLC releases have conveniently lined up with Amiibos in the past.

Though makes me wonder what took the ARMs rep soo long and then boom, 2 months later "Here's FP7".

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Makes sense to me. DLC releases have conveniently lined up with Amiibos in the past.

Though makes me wonder what took the ARMs rep soo long and then boom, 2 months later "Here's FP7".
Perhaps they might also be considering the first wave of Ultimate DLC amiibo? Like Joker or Hero for example if they wanted to start somewhere. But yeah, early June seems to be a good estimate zone for timing the release of the ARMS fighter.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman

Itìs not that difficult to believe honestly.
For once, the same thing happened for FP1 where we had to wait 5 months for Joker and then just 3 months later we got Hero, and after that DLC characters where released at a steady rhythm of one every 2 months. (I know Plant releasing between tha game's launch and Joker kinda throws doen the toilet this line of thinking, but it was detached from the Fighter pass and an good amount of work on it was already done before launch).

Also Sakurai himself stated that the Arms character would be quite difficult to balance, so there's that.

zriL

Smash Journeyman

Touhou is lowkey because it hasn't got any marketing ever since it's started and the games were only released physically in limited number. That's why it's pointless to talk about sales with Touhou because the official games were all limited editions that all sold out.

Anyways, claiming Touhou is more popular than Dragon Quest is probably false but not really dumb. Dragon Quest popularity is often understated as well.

There are definitely Touhou concerts, I don't know about Touhou cafés but I wouldn't be surprised there were. After all, there is a Touhou convention that is held at the biggest site in Japan (same place as Comiket, which is the biggest convention in the world I think), and it's a pretty big convention. And I'm not even sure there is a Dragon Quest convention.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The Tingle spirit is labeled under Zelda though.

...Then again we have Mario spin off spirits that are all over the place.
Yeah, apparently Wrecking Crew is distinct enough to get it's own symbol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom