• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I believe early english materials called them Mets, but I could be wrong. Alternatively, it's a Berenstein/Berenstain thing where a super common and subtle misunderstanding creates strong memories of something false being true? I have memories of calling them both names, so I actually had to google their proper names first, aha.
I've always called them Mets too, when'd they change the name?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm actually really surprised we never got a Gaurdian AT. Once I saw the Great Plateau stage, I was almost certain that's what would happen. If not a Guardian, then maybe a Champion.

Guess I shouldn't complain since we did get Moon. I just wish we could've gotten one for BotW too since MM, TP, and SS have all gotten one.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I'm actually really surprised we never got a Gaurdian AT. Once I saw the Great Plateau stage, I was almost certain that's what would happen. If not a Guardian, then maybe a Champion.

Guess I shouldn't complain since we did get Moon. I just wish we could've gotten one for BotW too since MM, TP, and SS have all gotten one.
My idea was Revali using Revali’s gale to boost all fighters’ jump power for 20 seconds. In fact, here are ALL my current Assist Trophy ideas:
Subspace Emissary
-Tabuu: Knocks off everyone on screen with his Off Waves, but only those at high damage.
-Poppant: Runs around dropping healing items and rocks
-Auroros: Dives into the ground after flying above its target; can be used a throwing item once it gets stuck
-Jyk: Floats around and attacks using a Hydro barrier. It can also follow up with one of two attacks:
>It can turn into a Zap Jyk and spin around (sucking in enemies) until it lets put a burst of electricity
>It can turn into a Flame Jyk and shoot out flames from its spikes, turning either from a T shape to an X shape or vice-versa

Super Mario
-Red Koopa Troopa: Tucks into his shell and spins around the stage, acting the Red Shell item from 64 and Melee
-Pianta: “I’m a chuckster!” appears on the screen as the Pianta walks around to grab enemies and chuck them at the blast zone
-Dreambert: Puts the summoner to sleep and protects and slightly heals them with a shield

Donkey Kong
-Cranky Kong: Plays a music box that shoots explosive barrels, only to blow up when the sequence ends
-Stanley the Bugman: Blows opponents away with his bug spray, with wind-like knockback

Zelda
-Revali: Enhances everyone’s jump power with Revali’s Gale; this lasts for 20 seconds

Metroid
-Adam Malkovich: Disables a random special move from any opponent

Yoshi
-Kamek: Either makes the summoner Giant or makes the opponent Tiny

Kirby
-Susie Haltmann: Turns every fighter Metal

Pokémon
-Pokémon Ranger: Draws continuous loops around opponents, instantly K.O.-ing them once their damage passes 100%

Earthbound/MOTHER
-Pigmask: Walks around tossing bombs

F-ZERO
-Pico: Hides in the background and attacks opponents with his rifle

Fire Emblem
-Hanneman: Attacks opponents using Sagittae, blocking all energy projectiles

Game & Watch
-Manhole: Rescues the summoner whenever they’re near the blast zone

Wario games
-Cpt. Syrup: Steals an opponent’s item and brings it to the summoner

Metal Gear Solid
-Dwarf Gekko: Scurries around latching onto opponents in sight and electrocuting them

Sonic the Hedgehog
-Silver: Bursts with telekinetic energy, toppling opponents

Animal Crossing
-Tom Nook: Gives the summoner additional coins for after the battle
-Flick: Turns invisible and sneaks up on opponents to catch opponents with his net.

Punch-Out!!
-Bald Bull: Charges at opponents like a bull and finishes with his Bull Rush

NAMCO
-Dig-Dug: Turns fighters Giant with his pump, reducing their gravity in the process

Final Fantasy
-Cactaur: Eratically hops around pricking opponents, finishing with its signature 10,000 Needles attack

Bayonetta
-Loki: Hops around throwing his cards, finishing off with charging them for one last powerful rain attack

Persona
-Jack Frost: Runs around shooting ice at enemies, sometimes clinging to upside down surfaces
-Futaba Sakura/Oracle: Boosts the stats of the summoner (and their allies)

Dragon Quest
-Golem: Slowly walks around and chucks boulders at opponents

Banjo-Kazooie
-Mumbo Jumbo: Casts a spell that randomly transforms the player*

SNK
-Nakoruru: Fights opponents with her dagger and her trusted bird friend, Mamahaha
-Metal Slug: Rolls around and fires lasers missiles at enemies; takes a ton of damage, exploding upon defeat.

ARMS
-Hedlok: Latches itself to the summoner’s head, punching when the shield button is pressed

Other
-Muddy Mole: Digs underground, pushing out heavy black balls at opponents
-Rusty Slugger: Throws several Beastballs at opponents
-Bubsy: Does nothing except spout catchphrases and glide around, making him a purr-posely open target
-Magician Type-0: Flies around shooting fireballs, self-destructing upon K.O.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I thought a Guardian was being spawned on top of the tower when they first showed off the plateau stage.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
YouTuber HMK just listed out his 10 most wanted characters for FP Vol. 2, amd…#1 might surprise you:
I guess that's irony because if I remember correctly this guy really loves Kingdom Hearts.
As for his list, it's nice, I like it.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Turns out, I was wrong on this:
According to the Mega Man wiki, Met was the shortened form of their Japanese name Mettoru from the English manual of Mega Man 1. Their full name has been rendered in English in three separate ways: Metall, Mettool, and Mettaur (with the last name being mostly used in modern releases).

YouTuber HMK just listed out his 10 most wanted characters for FP Vol. 2, amd…#1 might surprise you:
"I want a Zelda character that isn't Tingle, I don't care who specifically."
David Jr. it is!

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Credit to @psb123 for making this joke on my profile, but it appears as if our imminent ARMS fighter has been revealed:
EX_T0hsWsAUFIj2.png

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If you had to add another generic enemy (or something equally insignificant), what would you choose?
Goomba. Like Piranha Plant, it attacks using its various subspecies's abilities. Its grab calls in a bunch of Mini Goombas, its Neutral or Down Special can call in Goombas one by one to form a Goomba Tower, then slam on the ground when you let go of the button, one of its attacks could have it kick a Galoomba at you, etc. In true Goomba fashion, he character should be good at attacking you from the side, and from above, but awful at hitting opponents above it.

I believe early english materials called them Mets, but I could be wrong. Alternatively, it's a Berenstein/Berenstain thing where a super common and subtle misunderstanding creates strong memories of something false being true? I have memories of calling them both names, so I actually had to google their proper names first, aha.
I've seen Met, Metool, Metall, and Mettaur. From what I can tell each spelling is official (though not necessarily current), and it seems like it's not really consistent which one they use.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I always figured a Zeta Metroid would be a good mook pick. Metroids are their series' namesakes afterall, and I think Zeta forms have a cool design that would be really easy to incorporate in Smash.
My idea for adding a Metroid was to incorporate their evolving aspect from Metroid 2. You'd start with the Gamma or Zeta form, and attacking opponents will release those little energy ball thingies that, in the original game, restores Samus's health. Collect enough, and Metroid will evolve into its next form, capping out at Omega. It's Final Smash is the Queen Form.

A negative to this approach is that would make it more than one character though since the forms are very physically different from each other. And considering how divisive Piranha Plant was as only one character, Metroid designed in this way would probably get me murdered. lol

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
If you had to add another generic enemy (or something equally insignificant), what would you choose?
My Mario Party main.
EDIT: Image fail - It's Hammer Bro.
ngl PP is cool and all, but I would rather have gone with Hammer Bro as a generic Mario mook.
...but the way this question is asked also allows us to easily say something like "Waluigi's insignificant, so him! trolololololol"

And going back to the Zelda assist discussion from a while ago - I'd have loved to see a Divine Beast.
OOH! Or this should have been Link's new Final Smash! Cutscene and everything! Man, it was enough of a missed opportunity to not have Yink just put on the Fierce Deity mask before doing his normal Final Smash, but this is all kinds of disappointd we didn't get this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No shade but I feel like I've seen this joke at least 10 times since yesterday
I cannot claim to be surprised about that. I already figured I was far from the first person to make that joke. But I can at least say I came up with it on my own.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
OOH! Or this should have been Link's new Final Smash! Cutscene and everything! Man, it was enough of a missed opportunity to not have Yink just put on the Fierce Deity mask before doing his normal Final Smash, but this is all kinds of disappointd we didn't get this.
I think that would’ve been a HUGE strain on Ultimate’s development (even King K. Rool’s Blast-O-Matic isn’t THAT big). At the very least, though, the Ancient Bow and Arrow should’ve been preceded by a Stasis Flurry Rush.

Last edited:

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
My idea for adding a Metroid was to incorporate their evolving aspect from Metroid 2. You'd start with the Gamma or Zeta form, and attacking opponents will release those little energy ball thingies that, in the original game, restores Samus's health. Collect enough, and Metroid will evolve into its next form, capping out at Omega. It's Final Smash is the Queen Form.

A negative to this approach is that would make it more than one character though since the forms are very physically different from each other. And considering how divisive Piranha Plant was as only one character, Metroid designed in this way would probably get me murdered. lol
1589590747733.png
This kinda generic enemies but I had a dream Leon was added and his mechanic was when he took a stock the character would turn into a zombie and would basically become an assist trophy for him, like attacking with him. And in his trailer there was a zombie Mario it was actually kinda freaky

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I personally think a BoTW Guardian would be a very fun character. It's absolutely not the next Zelda rep in line, and it shouldn't be, but it'd be cool in the bizzaro timeline where it happens. It's body shape alone would be really unique, it might even be heavier than Boswer, and they you factor in all the ancient Sheikah stuff and you have a really unique character.
I guess Shy Guy or Sniper Joe, they have variants to pull from and make kind of fun.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think that would’ve been a HUGE strain on Ultimate’s development (even King K. Rool’s Blast-O-Matic isn’t THAT big). At the very least, though, the Ancient Bow and Arrow should’ve been preceded by a Stasis Flurry Rush.
They can just import models though? Or even make it a pre-rendered cutscene.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This kinda generic enemies but I had a dream Leon was added and his mechanic was when he took a stock the character would turn into a zombie and would basically become an assist trophy for him, like attacking with him. And in his trailer there was a zombie Mario it was actually kinda freaky
Not sure how exactly this relates to my post, but it's an interesting concept. My only question is what does a zombie R.O.B. look like?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I personally think a BoTW Guardian would be a very fun character. It's absolutely not the next Zelda rep in line, and it shouldn't be, but it'd be cool in the bizzaro timeline where it happens. It's body shape alone would be really unique, it might even be heavier than Boswer, and they you factor in all the ancient Sheikah stuff and you have a really unique character.
I’d have to go with a Goomba, a Shy Guy, one of the -fos enemies from Zelda like Stalfos (or all 3-4 of them in one), or the Creeper from Minecraft. I think each would be cool, with Goomba, Shy Guy, and Creeper especially being likely to be fun and unique.

edit: a lot of Mario enemies would be incredibly fun tbh, like Bob-omb, Boo, Chain Chomp...though I feel it has to be either Goomba or Shy Guy if we got another Mario enemy. Minecraft’s Enderman would be fun too, though the Creeper is my favorite mob; I even made a Creeper moveset in my thread, partly representing other mobs.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Would go with Guardian as well.

Creeper from Minecraft. (Would love to see a character that has no hands.)

Shroob

Sup?
I wouldn't be worried. I actually do think this was supposed to be a E3 reveal, unless there were ever plans for a full Nintendo Direct earlier this year.

If anything, a game as big as Paper Mario being casually revealed so close to release makes me think this E3 had something way bigger in store.
I'm worried because I wasn't a fan of Sticker Star or Color Splash. The way they just dropped this to me feels more like a lack of confidence.

I'm sure it's due to Corona, but, I'm still somewhat suspect.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
It does kind of have that Mario Tennis Ultra Smash feeling since they revealed the game two months before release.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I agree on Sticker Star being disappointing but damn I loved Color Splash. The humor and style on that game was so ****ing on point. I'm pretty positive about Origami King, it seems like almost every first party game that releases on the Switch it's the best of their respective entire franchise.

I was navigating through my old messages since it's been a long time since I've been around and wow I predicted almost exactly the amount of characters in the base game back in the day: https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-ultimate-discussion.434391/post-21937824

Lmao a little off-topic bragging for the non-believers. Reading all the flames of many years ago of me defending the possibility of Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo in Smash is also so satisfying

sorry for the double post

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm sure it's due to Corona, but, I'm still somewhat suspect.
I'm willing to bet corona is the culprit here.

I think they were going to reveal it in the March direct but ended up having to move it.

It would explain why it had no real "closer."

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm willing to bet corona is the culprit here.

I think they were going to reveal it in the March direct but ended up having to move it.

It would explain why it had no real "closer."
Yo what's good Swamp?

On topic though, I'm pretty sure the COVID was responsible for the trailer getting little fanfare. Or that it wasn't shown off earlier. But the lack of hype for the last 2 games might've cause Paper Mario to be seen as less of a "worthy" title.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Jack Frost from MegaTen games. He's far from my first choice as another ATLUS character but he's pretty popular and distinct for a generic enemy, similar to Slime.

Even without his ice powers, you can go crazy with his partners, alternate forms, and ailment or buff/debuff skills. He also starred in his own Metroidvania game along with Jack-o'-Lantern so making a moveset shouldn't be that hard.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Inb4 people try defending that by sayinh "there's only so many ways to swing a sword!" when no other fighting game has a problem with making swordwielders stand out in terms of movesets
It's kind of a 50/50 split between the characters who carve their own niche within the roster :ultcloud::ulthero::ultlink::ultmetaknight::ultswordfighter::ultrobin::ultroy::ultshulk::ultmarth:

And those that are textbook swordfighters (with slight deviance) and/or are clones of other characters. :ultbyleth::ultcorrin::ultike::ultlucina::ultchrom::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink:

It doesn't help that they're also aesthetically similar due to hailing from the same series and in some cases, are different takes on a preexisting character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom