• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
If there's gonna be another 2D Metroid , am betting on a Super Metroid remake. It's about time.
Eh, like ALttP and SMW, the game doesn't really 'need' a remake to be blunt, it still holds up to this day. Maybe a port with added features like the GBA versions of the 2 mentioned games, but Super still holds up nowadays.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If there's gonna be another 2D Metroid , am betting on a Super Metroid remake. It's about time.
Please no.

After Samus Returns introduced the plot point of...

A Chozo Conspiracy

I want to see them expand upon it.

Please... It's been almost two decades since we've gotten a completely new 2D Metroid.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Please no.

After Samus Returns introduced the plot point of...

A Chozo Conspiracy

I want to see them expand upon it.

Please... It's been almost two decades since we've gotten a completely new 2D Metroid.
I just want Samus Returns to get ported to Switch.
As well as Metroid and Super Metroid remakes.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just want Samus Returns to get ported to Switch.
As well as Metroid and Super Metroid remakes.
Please no more ports...

Please no more remakes...

I just want a new game...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If we get the remakes of all these Mario games, am suspecting that a remake of most major Zelda games (Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess) is probably next in order. Maybe with Skyward Sword coupled with then, because why not.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
I'm quite baffled that they didn't announce Paper Mario before this. Only 2 months prior to release? We've seen footage of Breath of the Wild 2 and it could still be years before it happens... Not to mention heavily advertised games like No More Heroes 3 that still don't have release dates. Such a weird strategy...

Following Rie's comments on the Octo Expension, I got it and played it through... and I can't say I'm convinced Octoling has even been considered. There's a drastic lack of personality to that one. The DLC is mostly a collection of random levels, much like the secret areas in most Super Mario games like in Sunshine: just patched together to make interesting obstacle courses, but with little story behind them. The protagonist is silent, and there's no new mechanic. They do look goo, and they easily could have been skins/echoes to Inkling (I'm surprised they didn't make 2 female and 2 male Inklings Octolings instead to promote Splatoon 2 a bit more since it's just aesthetics), It's a great IP, and I like the playstyle, but Octolings definitely didn't make a strong impression, and they feel like characters you need to have played a single specific game in details to even know of them, with people otherwise assuming they're the same as Inklings... Too bad, I was starting to buy into Rie's gospel :laugh:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
If we get the remakes of all these Mario games, am suspecting that a remake of most major Zelda games (Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess) is probably next in order. Maybe with Skyward Sword coupled with then, because why not.
I'm completely up for that, but those did get remade pretty recently.

...but...

They were all for the 3DS/WiiU. I'd absolutely love to have Switch ports to be able to play OoT big screen again.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a SS remake though, that's the only one that hasn't gotten that treatment yet.
Still not over it being the first Zelda game to give us a right-handed Link, and now Adult Link is forever righty...

Shroob

Sup?
I'm quite baffled that they didn't announce Paper Mario before this. Only 2 months prior to release? We've seen footage of Breath of the Wild 2 and it could still be years before it happens... Not to mention heavily advertised games like No More Heroes 3 that still don't have release dates. Such a weird strategy...

Following Rie's comments on the Octo Expension, I got it and played it through... and I can't say I'm convinced Octoling has even been considered. There's a drastic lack of personality to that one. The DLC is mostly a collection of random levels, much like the secret areas in most Super Mario games like in Sunshine: just patched together to make interesting obstacle courses, but with little story behind them. The protagonist is silent, and there's no new mechanic. They do look goo, and they easily could have been skins/echoes to Inkling (I'm surprised they didn't make 2 female and 2 male Inklings Octolings instead to promote Splatoon 2 a bit more since it's just aesthetics), It's a great IP, and I like the playstyle, but Octolings definitely didn't make a strong impression, and they feel like characters you need to have played a single specific game in details to even know of them, with people otherwise assuming they're the same as Inklings... Too bad, I was starting to buy into Rie's gospel :laugh:
Honestly, the release is a bit weird.

I don't want to say it's a "They lack faith in the project so they just threw it out there", because, frankly, the entire world is in a weird state right now.

Though, if the game is only releasing in 2 months, surely they could have dropped a trailer a LOT earlier than now?

It's very strange.

Shroob

Sup?
Like 20 years ago. Lol.
Still, a remake of a remake seems wholly unnecessary. Port the game over to the Switch sure(Or better yet, GBA VC), but I'd rather have new Metroid titles than have the series stuck in a perpetual hell like Star Fox is.

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
We can get the remakes after an original game.

I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AFTER FUSION!!!!
Same here.
Fusion ending has so much potential!
A sequel could do some little retcons to make Other M work better and then tell a story where Samus is alone, chased by the Galactic Federetion!

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Same here.
A sequel could do some little retcons to make Other M work better and then tell a story where Samus is alone, chased by the Galactic Federetion!
Would it 'need' retcons? Fusion is for all accounts Other M's sequel due to the events that happen in it.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Same here.
Other M and Fusion don't clash.

Other M clashes with the Prime games...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not complaining. Once New Horizons was released, I was legitimately worried that I'd have to wait until the holiday season before Nintendo released something that wasn't just DLC, ports, and remakes.

Anyways, I feel like this might be a good idea. With so little time between now and release, it should be easier to constantly show new content and keep people's interested.

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
Would it 'need' retcons? Fusion is for all accounts Other M's sequel due to the events that happen in it.

Many people say they clash because of the way Samus referes to Adam in Fusion. But I do not agree with them.
But at the end of Fusion Adam's mind is in Samus gunship's computer, so I think that they could explore the character's backstory a bit better, in order to explain some of his actions in Other M. That's what I mean with "retcons" in this case.
Then there's that small group of corrupted people within the Galactic Federation. Maybe they want Samus dead and they could be the main antagonists of the sequel.

Does Other M clashes with Prime games? I mean... It's true that Samus worked with the Galactic Federation in Prime 3, but she wasn't under their direct command, unlike Other M.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm not complaining. Once New Horizons was released, I was legitimately worried that I'd have to wait until the holiday season before Nintendo released something that wasn't just DLC, ports, and remakes.

Anyways, I feel like this might be a good idea. With so little time between now and release, it should be easier to constantly show new content and keep people's interested.
Weird as hell though it just.... appeared with a "Btw this is out in 2 months."

I'm cautiously optimistic about the game, and these are weird times that we're living in, but my curiosity is very peaked as to the sudden smokescreen reveal of "Oh yeah, btw here's this and it's coming out like, really soon." Forgive me if I'm a bit "Surprised, but bordering on worried" if it just got dropped on our heads with little fanfare and suddenly "Boom, it's out". That really hasn't been Nintendo's M.O. for a long, long time, and then they just.... "Boom, here it is, out soon." Corona could definitely play a part in its weird release but.... this obviously could have been revealed much earlier if it's out in literally 2 months.

You'd think they'd have revealed it back with their massive dump of new content/info back in April, can't even say it wasn't ready when the game barely is 2 months out from release. This just doesn't feel like how Nintendo releases games. Their small budget games sure, but not a freaking Mario game.

With a July release, I doubt it was meant to be at E3, but we had a Direct in March and it wasn't shown their either, despite most definitely being able to?

I legit feel worried, confused, but mostly worried.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Paper Mario's always had fandom support as far back as Brawl at least but the support turned sour when Nintendo yeeted all but the surface level appeal of Paper Mario in Sticker Star and only sunk further when they stuck to it for the sequel (which to be fair had much better writing but stuck to the cookie cutter plot and still suffered from a "push the gimmicks first" mindset like so many of the WiiU's flops.)

Now the new game looks to be taking the setting back to form (new antagonist, Bowser Team-up, partners and no ####ing stickers or cards) while still doing something new (Rotatey battle system, joining the ARMS league) I can see good will spiking back up.

As for Metroid Other M, it's based off the Manga but also directly contradicts it where Samus was encouraged to go her own way in the Manga, Adam is all of a sudden a bitter old jerk about it in Other M because DRAMA

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Can't say I understand the resistance to Paper Mario being our third Mario when he can do all of this.

View attachment 271766

I might be able to understand it if Super Mario hadn't gotten a character in ages and this was Sakurai's answer to that long wait, but I see people all the time bring up "Masked Link", BotW Zelda, and Pig Ganon with a lot of enthusiasm. I also rarely hear people complain about Dark Samus.
I was with you up until I saw you shame classic Ganon.

Not only does he have more gatekeepers than supporters. Thinking he would be remotely like another Ganondorf, a Captain Falcon clone at that, is a pot calling the kettle black.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Paper Mario might be a surprise addition to our Fighters Pass. Honestly, he's had a lot of support since Brawl. Around the same level as Bowser Jr., which is no small feat. The paper theme of his games can also allow for a lot of creative potential. Am thinking the chances are quite high for him honestly.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I think Paper Mario might be a surprise addition to our Fighters Pass. Honestly, he's had a lot of support since Brawl. Around the same level as Bowser Jr., which is no small feat. The paper theme of his games can also allow for a lot of creative potential. Am thinking the chances are quite high for him honestly.
It makes me sad that so many of my most wanted characters are Mario characters, which means that they're likely in direct competition with each other.
Toad, Waluigi, Geno, Paper Mario, King Boo.
Toad and Waluigi should have been playable since Brawl.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Yup, I'm thinking he's in
Sometimes I wish Spongebob was a video game character. He would fit right in with the cast and I'd imagine he would have a pretty fun moveset.

My pick would be CJ from GTA San Andreas, or anyway any GTA character for that matter.
I feel Sakurai would be able to make him work, just make it more comical like Snake (just imagine his entrance being him on the bike from the beginning of the game for example, or his winning animation being him stealing a car from some random dude), but I don't think he'll ever try it.
I never said once that Cloud, Ridley, Banjo, K. Rool or any other "impossible" character was never going to be in. For GTA though, I draw the line, I feel like neither of the parties involved would actually be interested.
But damn would CJ in Smash destroy everyone's sanity and actually be a fantastic character.
Well I hope you aren't attached to Carl Johnson's voice because his voice actor essentially cut all ties with Rockstar.

What do you guys think is right now the most mindblowing character that nobody thinks is possible but would definitely deserve to appear in Smash Bros.? After Cloud, Ridley and Banjo I mean, what is the new "It'll never happen"?
Oh there isn't any character who I think would be more mindblowing than...

SGT. CORTEZ! YEAH! IT'S TIME TO SPLIT!
Cortez Oh Yeah I'm Read.gif

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What do you guys think is right now the most mindblowing character that nobody thinks is possible but would definitely deserve to appear in Smash Bros.?
After Cloud, Ridley and Banjo I mean, what is the new "It'll never happen"?
My pick would be CJ from GTA San Andreas, or anyway any GTA character for that matter.
I feel Sakurai would be able to make him work, just make it more comical like Snake (just imagine his entrance being him on the bike from the beginning of the game for example, or his winning animation being him stealing a car from some random dude), but I don't think he'll ever try it.
I never said once that Cloud, Ridley, Banjo, K. Rool or any other "impossible" character was never going to be in. For GTA though, I draw the line, I feel like neither of the parties involved would actually be interested.
But damn would CJ in Smash destroy everyone's sanity and actually be a fantastic character.
If his intro isn’t “Ah ****, here we go again” I’m suing :troll:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Would you look at that, only a month until the ARMS character will finally be revealed. Part of me is hoping we also get FP7 revealed to keep the train rolling, but honestly I'm not so sure if it will actually happen in June or if it will be delayed.

Anyways, I still believe people are sleeping on a Monster Hunter character. It's a character with so much variety of weaponry and a potential to play a wide different number of playstyles and movesets. It's the second best selling franchise belonging to Capcom, with the first being the spirited Resident Evil. The mii costume from 4 still hasn't returned which raises further suspicion. I believe there were also rumors that a Monster Hunter game for the Switch will be unveiled this year but it still haven't been revealed yet.

All in all I think Monster Hunter is often underlooked as a choice for Smash. Sure there was Rathalos as a boss on the base roster, but since ARMS is getting a character even though it also got content in the base game, then I don't think there's a problem for a Monster Hunter character as well.

We Need Waluigi

Smash Rookie
There are a lot of Nintendo characters in Smash, alongside some Sega and Capcom characters, but here are a few I would want. Note that these could be unlocked or DLC.

1. Our most requested man, Waluigi, his moveset would have something to do with cheating or tennis (as he was created for Mario Tennis 64)

2. Knuckles, Tails and Amy. You would think that Nintendo would add more Sonic the Hedgehog characters after all these years.

3. PepsiMan, though owned by KID and only seen on the PSX, the running hero would be a good addition to smash. His moves would be about Pepsi of course.

4. Paper Mario. With The Oragami King being announced, Papaer Mario would need to make a fine addition in smash.

5. Capcom and Nintendo have always been on good terms with eachother, so Nintendo, with permission could possibly ad Resident Evil characters into Smash. Some to start with could be Leon Kennedy, Jill Valentine, Rebecca Chambers, and William B. Some you would have to unlock would be Chris and Claire Redfield, Ada Wong, Mr. X, and Nemesis.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Still catching up on the thread, but damn, you ****** don't like Sylux much I guess. I thought he was pretty neat. Most of that supposed first party pass would be mid for me, with Sylux being the one I could actually get into. I was huge into Prime Hunters so I ended up playing him, Spire and Weavel quite a bit. Dude could steal your health and lay down mines. So he's got moves/gimmicks to pull from, along with the other special weapons used in Prime Hunters.
Personally I don't get why Sylux is so popular with the developers and fanbase.
I think Weavel has more interesting story possiblities considering his backstory and connection to Samus.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think Weavel has more interesting story possiblities considering his backstory and connection to Samus.
I heard an rumor that Metroid Prime 4 might reveal Sylux being Samus' twin brother or something.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Seriously if the new 2D Metroid game is an unnecesarry remake of Super Metroid I riot.
Just exaggerating a little bit but c'mon, Super Metroid doesn't need a remake, and while the same could be said about other classic games that ended getting a remake, I don't think that the series is in the best situation to make 2 remakes in a row. It's about time to finally continue the main story. It has been almost 20 years since Fusion, FFS.

I mean I'd buy a Super Metroid Remake as well, but it's not time for that.

And I'm pretty sure Samus Returns managed to answer the doubts about the Prime games being canon or not. Short answer: they are.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Seriously if the new 2D Metroid game is an unnecesarry remake of Super Metroid I riot.
Agreed. Super Metroid has still aged exceptionally well. You people can start asking for a Super Metroid remake with my blessing when it's finally starting to show its age.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
It's a case of a character that is mysterious and has been teased by the developers for a decade now that they'll do something big. It's a bit blue ballsy with how they kept teasing him in multiple games yet they still haven't done anything with him yet, but supposedly Metroid Prime 4 might be the big one for the character so we'll have to wait and see. Personally I enjoyed Hunters a lot and I liked playing Sylux in the multiplayer (Trace was my go to main though), his design is cool enough and his electric weaponry bring something fresh to Smash. I do think his time for Smash will have to wait until we see more of him in Prime 4 however, we have to see where all this build up is gonna lead to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom