• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Is there any reason to believe this 4chan text leak over others?
It's a weekday and it fits within the requirements of being revealed in June.

If anything it's just about the same as any other glorification of game series anniversaries.

D

Deleted member

hey uhhh

y'all heard this yet?

[twitter post]
Yes, I too believe in random 4chan post. :4mii:

Regardless of if the date is right or not, everything else pretty much follows your typical 4chan "leak" especially with it saying it'll be a follow up to a previous trailer, so this 1's a no go.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
i just shared it upon seeing it in a discord and now that i examine it...
>Spring Man with alts of the other ARMS characters
hahah yeah no

...man. im STARVING for something legit sounding and not a boring repeat of what we're already speculating. even an IMAGE leak will do

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
i just shared it upon seeing it in a discord and now that i examine it...
>Spring Man with alts of the other ARMS characters
hahah yeah no

...man. im STARVING for something legit sounding and not a boring repeat of what we're already speculating. even an IMAGE leak will do
Not even "alts". Bowser Jr. situation. You could pull off a Hero alt situation, with about 4 characters. But 8? Nope! There's only some with the same bodyshape as is.

The only way to fit 8 characters in like Bowser Jr. would be Mechanica's mech, which frankly, feels like a huge stretch to throw more alts in. You still have at least quite a few with the same bodyshape that can work. If they even want to de-personalize the characters a bit, that's the most that can be done without weird bodyshapes. I mean, there's maybe, what, 6 at most? Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, NInjara, Min Min, Springtron, and kind of Dr. Coyle. For the last one, I feel she'd work better as a Min Min or Ribbon Girl alt based upon her color, instead of the literal costume. Then you just need a recolor for Ninjara and Min Min/Ribbon Girl and you get 8 ones that work. That, and Dr. Coyle is pretty hard to make as an alt since floating is a much different mechanic than, say, kicking. Some of those personal abilities can even work as taunts, like the dragon arm. Or Ninjara's spot dodge would be his teleport, with no gameplay differences. That type of stuff. They do have ways to put it in while being an alt, though it obviously wouldn't be as interesting as if it was a separate character.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Damn, this is really great. Kamurocho as a stage could work really well, specially for a stage centered around the idea of stage hazards. Maybe my only gripe is that... Recieve You is already great without a remix. I'd rather have the original theme (from the original Yakuza 1, I mean) instead of a remix, but maybe that's just me.
I don't have the template but I'll follow the game with one of my most wanteds:

Series: Guilty Gear
Character: Sol Badguy
Stage: Heaven's Edge
Music:
  1. Keep Yourself Alive 2
  2. Holy Orders (Be Just Or Be Dead)
  3. Blue Water Blue Sky
  4. Suck A Sage
  5. Still In The Dark
  6. The Midnight Carnival
  7. Reunion
  8. Divide My Heart
  9. Break A Spell
  10. Sky Should Be High
  11. Diva Of Despair
  12. Six Black Heavens Guns
  13. Smell Of The Game
Spirits:
  1. Ky Kiske (3 stars)
  2. Sin Kiske (1 star)
  3. That Man (4 stars)
  4. Justice (4 stars)
  5. Aria (1 star)
  6. I-No (3 stars)
  7. Dizzy (3 stars)
  8. Elphelt (2 stars)
  9. Ramlethal (2 stars)
I had a lot of doubts doing the music and spirit selection lol. Maybe I'll translate this into a template or something to make it cooler and more appealing.
Ultimate's remixes have been incredible and I hold the composers involved in very high regard, but Guilty Gear is the one case where I have no idea how they would be able to improve on pretty much any of the songs. I genuinely wouldn't mind if it didn't get any remixes and it was just the original versions of the songs, because as a series it already has some of the most consistently brilliant soundtracks out there.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
7 alts seems excessive. I could see 3 alts for Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min, as they all have similar body frames and "basic" abilities. But once you get into characters like Helix, Kid Cobra, and Misango, their stances and abilities are too unique to make sense as a simple Spring Man alt.

I.D.

Smash Lord
In the Sora argument, Disney characters are synonymous with non-video game characters.
I guess but considering even Square can't lock him down in their own crossover games I'm pretty sure that's his actual biggest barrier and not what Sakurai thinks of Zipper Donald

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ah a news article made because a 4chan text leak was posted earlier in the day.
So let's see:
  • Common prediction of following the Clash of Flames trailer.
  • Tagline that doesn't quite make verbal sense.
  • Claims that way too many characters will be alternate costumes. I don't think we should even have 1, but 7 is just not feasible.
  • I was going to say fainted Pokémon are usually depicted with swirly eyes, not cross eyes, but I just realized they might not be referring to the cartoony effect here.
  • Picks the most predictable release date.
If I had enough salt to take this with I'd be suffocating right now.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So let's see:
  • Common prediction of following the Clash of Flames trailer.
  • Tagline that doesn't quite make verbal sense.
  • Claims that way too many characters will be alternate costumes. I don't think we should even have 1, but 7 is just not feasible.
  • I was going to say fainted Pokémon are usually depicted with swirly eyes, not cross eyes, but I just realized they might not be referring to the cartoony effect here.
  • Picks the most predictable release date.
If I had enough salt to take this with I'd be suffocating right now.
I mean, considering that June 16th is the 3rd anniversary of ARMS, I wouldn’t mind if the character joined then. But yeah, at the same time, talk about a predictable scapegoat date.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, considering that June 16th is the 3rd anniversary of ARMS, I wouldn’t mind if the character joined then. But yeah, at the same time, talk about a predictable scapegoat date.
Which is the only thing properly believable.

There's not even 8 characters that share the same build with Spring Man either. Unless they meant alts referencing the characters in some cases?

I guess people misread to think it was a "Bowser Jr." situation then. Cause it sounds more like a Hero one. Bowser Jr. is a Mech character. Only Mechanica could cause that.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
hey uhhh

y'all heard this yet?

Why do people keep believing random 4Chan post. Anyone can make a post on 4Chan and say this. But idiot journalist keep taking the bait and making articles about it.

No, this isn't happening because DLC always releases on Friday. June 16th is a Tuesday this year.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Why do people keep believing random 4Chan post. Anyone can make a post on 4Chan and say this. But idiot journalist keep taking the bait and making articles about it.

No, this isn't happening because DLC always releases on Friday. June 16th is a Tuesday this year.
It's not the journalists that get baited, they are very well aware that it's fake. They just see any dumb 4chan leak as an opportunity for a headline that will make tons of people flock to an article. Honestly, as long as a headline contains the words "Smash Leak", they'll get tons of clicks.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
how many leaks have successfully gotten a trailer?

none. literally none.

begone ****ty 4chan leaks.
Was just about to post this. The moment a leak brings up the trailer you already know it's over.

The fact that it regurgitates the "le bowser jr alts" meme without even mentioning the other characters' names is the final nail in the coffin.

7NATOR

Smash Master

not to be that guy but doesn't most of the DLC release around Tuesday/ Wedneday?

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Because they aren't Mario or Cloud.
Heihachi IS the main character in half the Tekken games despite being a villain.
As someone who grew up playing Tekken, Heihachi wasn't the main character in about half the games. That was Jin Kazama. If anything, he was the main antagonist, but not the one who's point of view was followed nor who's endings were usually canon. Heihachi's role is more in line with Bowser, Eggman, Dr.Wily or M.Bison in most titles.

Kazuya was the main character of Tekken 1. (Heihachi is the antagonist)
Heihachi in Tekken 2, a role arguably shared with Jun Kazama. (Kazuya is the antagonist)
Jin Kazama in Tekken 3, Tekken 4 and Tekken 5. (Heihachi/Orge in 3, Heihachi in 4, Jinpachi in 5)
Lars in Tekken 6. (Kazuya and Jin are antagonists, though Jin's billed as an anti-hero at the end.)
Heihachi in Tekken 7. (T7 had Kazuya/Akuma)

And Jin's likely billed as the main dude in Tekken 8.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Was just about to post this. The moment a leak brings up the trailer you already know it's over.

The fact that it regurgitates the "le bowser jr alts" meme without even mentioning the other characters' names is the final nail in the coffin.
But if I go into that much detail, there's a higher chance that I'll be wro-I mean the Nintendo Ninjas will come to my house and assassinate me!

Yeah...Gotta protect myself.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I know that Blocked Content shouldn't be trusted nor 4Chan but...

Sometimes I wonder if Blocked Content just paid someone else to make those codecs and sprite animations for his channel just so he could drum up a sizeable fanbase to watch his low effort speculation videos for easy ad revenue.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Forget the text leaks! Why isn't anyone asking the one question that truly matters!?

Will the amiibo of the ARMS character have bendable arms so we can put them in various poses?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

It didn't actually mention what kind of alts they are.

It's more of a Hero situation since it's based upon Spring Man. Bowser Jr. requires a Mech and the Koopalings actually have similar, but not the same, bodyshapes. They're closer to Villager and Isabelle. Without the Mech, they could not work as alts to begin with.

Hero had the same bodyshape for only 4 characters(they could've had other female Alts, yes, but not for everyone, heh) entirely. In order for this idea to work, you need 7 more characters with the same bodyshape as Spring Man. Without Mechanica's suit, the only way a Bowser Jr. situation can work, it's not really possible to do all 8 at once. It's a blatant fake.

Also, I wouldn't say they can't know the trailer. It's barely a month beforehand. Them being leaked the trailer is not remotely impossible. The trailer was clearly recorded. It's still fake, but not because of the trailer, or the date(lol, that's a super believable date, honestly. It's also hyper easy to predict and means nothing in return. Other than them getting the year count wrong, it's a perfect day to release), but because you can't possibly have a Hero situation here with 8 different characters.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Forget the text leaks! Why isn't anyone asking the one question that truly matters!?

Will the amiibo of the ARMS character have bendable arms so we can put them in various poses?
Nah, they'll have different sets of ARMS that can be swapped out.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If only they were that generous. The only time they've done something like that is with Mr. Game and Watch, and they kinda had to. He's literally a singular, flat piece of plastic with a face painted on, so we definitely needed something else to justify a $12.99 price tag.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I know that Blocked Content shouldn't be trusted nor 4Chan but...
Games Tiny Kong has been in: 7
Games Dixie Kong has appeared in: 17

I don't think either character has rights issues, but if one of them were to have them I doubt it would be Dixie Kong since she appears way more often.

Mr. Game & Watch had something simmilar so I could see something like this.

It's more of a Hero situation since it's based upon Spring Man. Bowser Jr. requires a Mech and the Koopalings actually have similar, but not the same, bodyshapes. They're closer to Villager and Isabelle.
They do appear outside of the Jr. Clown Car after using Abandon Ship, and I suspect this is the reason that they're a weird mix of the New Super Mario Bros. designs with the Super Mario World proportions.

Also, the rumor says "Alts being 7 other characters from ARMS" which would mean that all seven of his pallet swap slots are different characters as alternate costumes.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They do appear outside of the Jr. Clown Car after using Abandon Ship, and I suspect this is the reason that they're a weird mix of the New Super Mario Bros. designs with the Super Mario World proportions.
Which that is what I'm saying. They actually do have different bodyshapes in general, which is part of why they work with the Mech alone.

Also, the rumor says "Alts being 7 other characters from ARMS" which would mean that all seven of his pallet swap slots are different characters as alternate costumes.
Unless it's a really poor way to say "references", it's clearly fake cause, again, you can't have 8 characters from ARMS as there's not 8 with the same bodyshape. It's clearly fake due to that alone.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Ah a news article made because a 4chan text leak was posted earlier in the day.
View attachment 271474

Sure, I'll humor the 7 alts that join Spring Man

Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min, Kid Cobra, Twintelle, Helix, Lola Pop

Really? Someone claims to already know the trailer? And really, this is so unsurprising in all of its choices it's almost like someone 'predicting' that the original 8 were gonna be in after the Ultimate reveal.
  • Using the Kencineroar trailer as a starting point... Makes sense, considering one of the DLC characters already did that. It'd be more likely for them to make a new one, but it wouldn't be out of the ordinary if they hooked them together since they do share a theme.
  • "Spring Man Springs into Battle" is about as uninspired and obvious a pun as I could come up with. Besides, don't the JP versions of the trailers all just stick with "X joins the battle!" or something, while the localized ones turn up the puns. We're supposed to believe that someone saw the localized trailer already, during this lockdown?
  • 7 other ARMS characters as alts? If you're doing alts, they need to have the same bodyshape, so that cuts out Master Mummy (too burly), Helix (torso is wrong shape), Twintelle (extra set of arms), Mechanica (dissimilar body shape). Byte, Max Brass, and Dr. Coyle would also look odd, but might work. So we're expecting 'fan favorites' like Misango, I guess? But really, we're expected to believe that you saw the trailer long enough to get the tagline, but not enough to know which 7 are alts? Yeah.
  • And by the way, Hero only got one splash screen, but Byleth got two. If they're really playing ARMS up with alts, it's likely that some of the alts would get splash screens as well. You didn't see any of those 7?
  • Besides, Springo with alts is a common enough idea that people are expecting it. More like 4 though, not a full set of 8 alts.
  • And releasing on an anniversary, despite the fact that every prediction for an anniversary outside of POTD's has basically panned out. And it conveniently happens to be in this window.
Yeah, gr8 b8, but this is totes BS. This is the kind of thing that's just gonna end up getting parts right because these are such predictable choices... you just know this person's gonna come out with a wishlist in a bit for the other 5 characters and then people will go all "OMG but the trailer leaker was right about that, so they're totes right about these as well!"

And PS: 'lanky legs?' I never looked that closely before, but Springman's legs are actually pretty jacked. You know right away this boy can kick.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I can't see Helix and Twintelle being alts for Spring Man.

If anything I could see it going

Spring Man-Ribbon Girl-Ninjara-Minmin-Kid Cobra-Misango-Dr. Coyle-Springtron

Even then if the ARMS rep does get alt characters I see the Hero route being more likely with Spring Man-Ribbon Girl-Ninjara-Minmin.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though I believe we'll get at least two ARMS characters (my guess is Spring Man and Ribbon Girl), I don't know if it's realistic to get 7 characters as costumes.

Mechanica, Master Mummy, and Max Brass are out due to their drastic difference in body size from most of the cast. I don't think Twintelle would work since her arms are attacked to her head; there's no way she'd be able to mirror anyone. I suppose Byte could work, but Barq would be missing. Dr. Coyle floats, so I have doubts about her as well.

I guess there's barely enough characters for it to work if you used Spring Man as the base. It's just that about half of the characters would feel really random.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
How about talking about what stages we’d like to see with our most wanted? I’ll go:

Sora: Station of Awakening
Crash: N. Sanity Beach
Adeleine & Ribbon: Ripple Star
Min Min: Ramen Bowl
Axel Stone: Wood Oak City Slums
Euden: The Halidom
Alrighty then, here's my list:
Min Min: Ramen Bowl
Phoenix Wright: The Courtroom
Shantae: Scuttle Town (Burning Town)
Reiji and Xiaomu: Shibuya
Geno: Forest Maze

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Even though I believe we'll get at least two ARMS characters (my guess is Spring Man and Ribbon Girl), I don't know if it's realistic to get 7 characters as costumes.

Mechanica, Master Mummy, and Max Brass are out due to their drastic difference in body size from most of the cast. I don't think Twintelle would work since her arms are attacked to her head; there's no way she'd be able to mirror anyone. I suppose Byte could work, but Barq would be missing. Dr. Coyle floats, so I have doubts about her as well.

I guess there's barely enough characters for it to work if you used Spring Man as the base. It's just that about half of the characters would feel really random.
I don't think it'd be a full 8 either. I'm guessing 2-4 if the pull the costume gimmick I think. But outside of the usual Spring, Ribbon, Min-Min and Ninjara, there's Spring-Tron, Misango and maaaaaaybe Lola Pop. If you needed an 8th you could have Dr. Coyle just walk, dunno how pissed people would be though.

Still, I feel like we'd probably get 2-4 if not just a single character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom