• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Probably because they were laser focused on Persona 5 and thought making the stage a gaudy yellow and a really nice blue color would suffice. I think it's fine, but it bothers me that they didn't do it for the song that's not from Persona 3-onward (forgot which one it was specifically from again. Yes I know it's the velvet room theme, which is in all of them, I'm just talking about the specific rendition of it whose origin I don't remember).
Well P1 and P2 had different renditions of the Velvet Room theme, I’m pretty sure. It would’ve been amazing if we were able to get different stage colors for each game, and we got cameos for the party members and maybe even the protagonists (excluding Joker) for each stage color.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Honest question: Do you and other Sora supporters ignore the Disney content because you don't want it or because you don't think Sakurai would include it?
why should we bother with the disney stuff when we have an endless amount of Original Kingdom Hearts content? and to be honest, KH would be better without disney stuff

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
I try to limit myself to 10 songs since that seems to be the average barring the SNK anomaly, there's all ways going to be some glaring omissions in the soundtrack department. I personally haven't got to play 3-6 yet so my knowledge is lacking of those games.

I love the idea of the cameos based on the music!
Oh yeah, I understand. It's weird seeing how Sega's songs are so underrepped in Smash compared to Konami and SNK, despite Sega and Nintendo being so close. Bayonetta especially having only 11 tracks while being a base game inclusion. But hey, I'll even be satisfied enough if only Receive You gets added at this point lmao.

Also, you should especially get around to playing the other games. They recently got remastered on PS4, and hopefully they'll be available on PC soon enough! I'm sure of it!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
why should we bother with the disney stuff when we have an endless amount of Original Kingdom Hearts content? and to be honest, KH would be better without disney stuff
It's interesting seeing the two extremes of "Sora doesn't need (and probably shouldn't have) any Disney stuff" and "I actively don't want Sora if they don't include any the Disney stuff".

Oh yeah, I understand. It's weird seeing how Sega's songs are so underrepped in Smash compared to Konami and SNK, despite Sega and Nintendo being so close. Bayonetta especially having only 11 tracks while being a base game inclusion. But hey, I'll even be satisfied enough if only Receive You gets added at this point lmao.
For the Sonic series, it may be because they outsource their music. Then again, most of the vocal tracks are here and they seem to be done by individual bands so I dunno.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Sora got in Smash without any Disney references, it'd be a very hollow victory. The Disney references are what made it so popular to begin with, and it wouldn't feel right not having (at the bare minimum) Mickey, Donald, or Goofy appear in some capacity.

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
I know you’re talking about a game I know nothing about and I shouldn’t butt in talking about some completely different game- but why didn’t they do that stage cameo thing for Mementos??
As others have said, it's highly likely because they were so focused on making Joker only come with Persona 5 content. And also, it's worth noting the stage itself, Mementos, comes from Persona 5 exclusively. So making Persona 3 cast members appear there wouldn't really make sense I suppose. It'd be as weird to see the Persona 5 cast in Tartarus for example.

For the Sonic series, it may be because they outsource their music. Then again, most of the vocal tracks are here and they seem to be done by individual bands so I dunno.
Oh, really? I didn't know that. That might actually be the reason why Sega doesn't have that many songs if they do outsource all their tracks. Though Atlus would be an exception, as all tracks are made in-house if I recall correctly, created by the amazing and legendary Shoji Meguro.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You are probably the first person to bring up Dishonored when it comes to Smash.
Well, to be fair, I think he's got no chance at all, ever, But the question was for "favorite game", and that's Dishonored 2.

Most of the Disney stuff is just boring movie rehashes.

But...the non-Disney stuff is all the terrible Nomura garbage that is actually WAY worse.

Would it be better if these things were two separate franchises? Absolutely. Because then poor little kids could stop getting shackled by nostalgia to such a trash series.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It'd be as weird to see the Persona 5 cast in Tartarus for example.
It'd be weird to put anyone in Tartar sauce...

EDIT: Is Tartarus Persona 4 or 3's version of Mementos?

Oh, really? I didn't know that. That might actually be the reason why Sega doesn't have that many songs if they do outsource all their tracks. Though Atlus would be an exception, as all tracks are made in-house if I recall correctly, created by the amazing and legendary Shoji Meguro.
Even so, I'd imagine that the tracks from Sonic the Hedgehog to Sonic 3 & Knuckles are all in house since I don't think outsourcing was a thing at the time so there's probably not a great excuse other than maybe not wanting to add too many Sega Saturn/Dreamcast sound chip songs and it wasn't prioritized in the remix department.

I also have no idea what's going on with the Bayonetta series in terms of rights.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Hey, so here's an idea. What if Sakurai added content from your favourite game period in Smash? Assuming it already has a character, what content could they bring to make you especially excited? As my favourite game is Order of Ecclesia, it'd be adding Shanoa as a character, Albus as an AT, Rhapsody of the Forsaken, Order of the Demon, Dissonant Courage, Sorrow's Distortion, The Colossus, Lament to the Master, Jaws of a Scorched Earth, Unholy Vespers and A Clashing of Waves. All of this and I would have no right to complain ever again
Ace Attorney. Cool cool cool.
Character: Phoenix Wright
The 2nd outfit can be an alternate costume for Apollo Justice.
The rest can all be Phoenix with different colors representing different characters. Edgeworth, Gumshoe, Von Karma, The Judge, etc.
The stage could be Courtroom, and can change between the different courtrooms based on the music choice.
Music:
Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! 2001 [New Remix]
Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! 2002
Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! 2004
Apollo Justice ~ Objection! 2007 [New Remix]
Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! 2013
Apollo Justice ~ A New Chapter of Trials! 2013
Athena Cykes ~ Courtroom Révolutionnaire! 2013
Steel Samurai Theme [New Remix]
Confess The Truth 2009
The Fragrance of Dark Coffee [New Remix]
Pursuit ~ Spell-Breaker [New Remix]

Mii outfits referencing Gumshoe (brawler), Von Karma (brawler), The Blue Badger (swordfighter/brawler), Godot (brawler), and then bringing some new capcom mii outfits. DMC, SF, Mega Man. I don’t care.
Spirits could just be the main characters from a few different games.
As for Phoenix, I would like an evidence gimmick similar to UMVC3. And for final smash, Phoenix would yell “Objection!” and the speech bubble would be a hitbox. If hit, an animation starts where the opponent(s) is in a shield break animation, sitting in the defendant’s chair. It’s an animation which is a quicker version of a normal trial, where they’re all talking really fast to keep the final smash short. Each character has their own unique text in the courtroom, but it’s hard to read since they’re talking so fast. Then, at the end, the Judge labels the defendant GUILTY and they get sent flying.
And that’s everything. i gotta go do something and probably should’ve done it before writing this so bye

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I heard a thing or two about people claiming there'll be no Gen 8 Pokemon in Smash DLC as GF is supper resistant to DLC.

I don't know how true that is but I seriously don't think it would effect anything Smash.
Mewtwo was the first ever Smash DLC character and they added the Gen 1 starters to Super Mario Maker 1.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
If Sora got in Smash without any Disney references, it'd be a very hollow victory. The Disney references are what made it so popular to begin with, and it wouldn't feel right not having (at the bare minimum) Mickey, Donald, or Goofy appear in some capacity.
How is that a hollow victory when just having sors in the game is enough of a victory? in my opinion, the disney stuff is 100% not needed

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
As others have said, it's highly likely because they were so focused on making Joker only come with Persona 5 content. And also, it's worth noting the stage itself, Mementos, comes from Persona 5 exclusively. So making Persona 3 cast members appear there wouldn't really make sense I suppose. It'd be as weird to see the Persona 5 cast in Tartarus for example.
Fair enough. I just would’ve loved to see the P3 Party members in some form. I guess the protagonist’s mii outfit will have to do.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I heard a thing or two about people claiming there'll be no Gen 8 Pokemon in Smash DLC as GF is supper resistant to DLC.
I'm willing to bet this was Cutie Gwen half joking. It's not really a valid argument considering the fact that Gen 8 is getting two big paid DLC updates.

P3. Midnight channal is p4s
Wait a minute! Is the Persona series basically Silent Hill as an RPG?

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Id see his echo being Ventus or Roxas more
Ventus swings his keyblade around with a reverse grip. He couldn't be a 1:1 of Sora.
Roxas could work if he's based on his appearance in Days, and the KH2 prologue (minus the final mission and his second fight with Axel where he dual wields two keyblades), but at the same time, he's also a dual wielder, and the only one that can do it without needing to use an external source like Sora's drive forms. So, Roxas as Sora's echo would be fine, but a case could be made where he can stand on his own two feet.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wait a minute! Is the Persona series basically Silent Hill as an RPG?
Well it shares psychological themes but while Silent Hill ends on down notes, Persona still ends in the usual JRPG way of Teenagers killing God.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Ventus swings his keyblade around with a reverse grip. He couldn't be a 1:1 of Sora.
Roxas could work if he's based on his appearance in Days, and the KH2 prologue (minus the final mission and his second fight with Axel where he dual wields two keyblades), but at the same time, he's also a dual wielder, and the only one that can do it without needing to use an external source like Sora's drive forms. So, Roxas as Sora's echo would be fine, but a case could be made where he can stand on his own two feet.
****.... you right, you right

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
It'd be weird to put anyone in Tartar sauce...

EDIT: Is Tartarus Persona 4 or 3's version of Mementos?
The Tartarus Tower is indeed Persona 3's version of Mementos. It's a randomly generated dungeon with god-so-many-floors.

I also have no idea what's going on with the Bayonetta series in terms of rights.
There's a huge gap between Street Fighter and Bayonetta's quantity in songs. Despite them both being in the base-game rosters, originally being DLC for Smash 4. So there's surely something at hand behind the scenes I suppose.

Fair enough. I just would’ve loved to see the P3 Party members in some form. I guess the protagonist’s mii outfit will have to do.
You and me, buddy. Persona 3 really deserves more representation, as it's honestly the best game. But hey, Blue Mementos and Miinato will have to do. At least the killer tracks are here.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So…what’s people’s opinions on if Xion was Sora’s Echo?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Im pretty bias because Im not a fan of Xion in the first place pf but I guess if she is the only one that fights closer to Soras style, it would have to be her since Ventus holds his keyblade reverse (which I think sora only does once) and Roxas Duel wields (again, which I think he did only in form change)

Does Riku fight like Sora or is he too different also?

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Considering her original role of being a Sora replica, and was literally a moveset clone of Roxas in Days, she'd be alright as Sora's echo as long as the black coat doesn't cause too much trouble with the fighter skeleton. Xion can certainly have both the black coat and her KH3 outfit as her costumes, but I feel the black coat should be her default.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well it shares psychological themes but while Silent Hill ends on down notes, Persona still ends in the usual JRPG way of Teenagers killing God.
Sounds close enough to me! I love finding similarities like that between series. Like with how pretty much all of classic Mega Man's characters parallel a major Sonic character:

The blue hero
The red reformed villain
The black villain turned anti-hero who is also kinda edgy
The main villain/mad scientist trying to take over the world with robots

The Tartarus Tower is indeed Persona 3's version of Mementos. It's a randomly generated dungeon with god-so-many-floors.
So is it like Temple of the Ocean King meets Pit of 100 Trials meets RNG?

...Sounds awful.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Does Riku fight like Sora or is he too different also?
Riku's fighting style is different from Sora's. HMK (the guy who did the "Who owns Sora" video) even once said RIku couldn't work as Sora's echo.

The only plausible Sora echoes I see are Xion, and Roxas (but he's an either/or case)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Riku's fighting style is different from Sora's. HMK (the guy who did the "Who owns Sora" video) even once said RIku couldn't work as Sora's echo.

The only plausible Sora echoes I see are Xion, and Roxas (but he's an either/or case)
yeah, seems like Xion would be the best choice for an echo

Goombaic

Smash Ace
why should we bother with the disney stuff when we have an endless amount of Original Kingdom Hearts content?
Because it is part of the game. Not saying that Kingdom Hearts can't be in without Disney content, but I don't think the inclusion would hurt, personally.
and to be honest, KH would be better without disney stuff
That's what I wanted to hear more about.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Okay, my ant in the ring:

-In the KH universe: Disney stuff is totally okay.
-Outside the KH universe, and featuring Sora in Smash: There’s too much orignal content to ignore.

osby

Smash Obsessed
"Sora has to come with Disney content" feels like a rather arbitrary requirement used mostly by his detractors than anything, tbh.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
"Sora has to come with Disney content" feels like a rather arbitrary requirement used mostly by his detractors than anything, tbh.
Yeah, it’s not like Cloud came with much FF content. I think a Disney-less Sora could work. What matters in the end is that we get the Character, some music, a stage, and some spirits.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sora has more then enough original content there doesn't need to be any Disney material notably Spirits and instead of Donald and Goofy in his Final Smash having Riku and Kairi.

Though at the same time I can get why people might want it as Disney is what makes Kingdom Hearts as it is.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
its either that or "the main KH games have never been on Nintendo systems" while ignoring Dream drop distance, 358/2 days, Chain of memories, ect

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'd rather Sora come with at least Donald and Goofy if they could. They maybe Disney characters but I think they could get away with the excuse that they're wearing their Kingdom Hearts outfit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom