• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah that's my bad for replying before getting fully caught up
It happens all the time. Ironically those who skip ahead tend to not deal with that stuff. A good rule of thumb is that since it keeps your old post in memory, you should figure out what you want to reply to, hit quote, then wait a bit, go and ready everything else, and only reply if you feel the need to.

Fast replies aren't necessarily best, heh.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
No way. The only way this would happen is if they were treated like a custom character, which is already pie in the sky, and even then I doubt they'd add all 15 of them since their abilities range from obviously good (Dr. Coyle) to obviously bad (Master Mummy) to pointless in a 2D space (Helix). And that's not even considering the work it would require.
There's still so many people out there who think every ARMS character is exactly the same but with a few bells and whistles attatched to them. It's kind of amazing, nobody does this with any other series with a variety of characters. Just ARMS. I'm guessing this is the result of people playing for 5 minutes and thinking they know everything about the game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I wonder how MvC3 was received then in terms of roster (it had 20 less characters than MvC2).

I agree. While I don't think the scope creep is sustainable (unless they go "screw it, let's go on a 8-10 year dev cycle and/or use a dev team the size of 5"), Super Smash Bros. should never not have a butt ton of characters anymore.

I knew Guilty Gear Strive had a ton of problems (lobby, UI, etc.) but I didn't know the roster was one of them. Did they confirm that the roster will be much smaller than the previous game?
With Strive we already know that not every Xrd character will return, the fact that the game's scheduled to release this year and that we only 10 characters has caused some concerns for a few people, especially considering the outcry for Dizzy and Baiken when they got cut and how we only have 1 character who wasn't part of the original game's roster iirc. There's barely any outcry of this, especially in comparison to the other complaints, but if we indeed get a smaller roster, a lot of casual fans will be pissed at losing a lot of potentially popular characters
I do remember Black Widow, but I didn't see a lot of hate for Gamora, at least not to the same extent as Firebrand or Nemesis. The worst I saw was Star Lord fans being a little angry he was skipped over for her.

As an aside though, wouldn't it be hypocritical to complain about Black Widow and Gamora while also complaining about the lack of female characters on the roster? Taking those two out would've made the issue worse, not better, so I don't see why those two would've gotten backlash from the fans upset about that.

Got some backlash as well, though MvC3 got more of a pass since it wasn't bogged down by as many issues as Infinite.
While Black Widow and Gamora are indeed women, the game's male to female ratio went from about 1/5 to 1/6, and considering we lost a lot of popular women, a lot of people weren't happy to lose a sizeable chunk of beloved female characters, especially if one considers that there were only 4 women on Infinite's roster at launch

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Holy ****ing **** you guys actually went to war over the freaking semantics of what a "side character" is.

Yeah, next time a Fire Emblem fan says Smash fans are toxic, I'm bringing this up.

Should’ve said that differently. Ike is unique, but not as unique. And the only fan favorite I chose to get rid of was Chrom? And maybe Ike. I don’t know a single person who has Lucina as a favorite. Most people I know hate her inclusion. And I prioritize the more unique ones because more movesets with representation is better than a bunch of clones to represent one series. That’s the whole reason people are angry.
If clones are the whole reason people get angry why were the two most unique newcomers for the series the ones that got the most hate?
Because a direct sequel to Ulitmate that just has less characters and stages is going to seem lame and pointless. Ultimate is Avengers Endgame. After this nothing will be the same.

But yeah this is a topic for another thread.
I'd look forward to a sequel with less characters and stages. Bringing everything back made for a lot of bloat, there's a lot of redundancies, and there's many modes left out. There's room for improvement, Ultimate isn't that definitive.
Since Square Enix finally gave us a Collection of Mana after all these years, you think we'll ever get Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma collection?

Or an Actraiser collection?

Or release all 5 games as "The Quintet Quintet".
I've played all these games several times and yet I need this.
My problem with the whole cuts discussion is that it doesn't really go anywhere and tends to leave people annoyed, if not angry
Only people I see angry are those butthurt about the discussion. It's always the same every time the subject comes up, allegedly it's a topic that's inflammatory and whatever but it never turns out that way.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Holy ****ing **** you guys actually went to war over the freaking semantics of what a "side character" is.

Yeah, next time a Fire Emblem fan says Smash fans are toxic, I'm bringing this up.
Lol. How do you think I feel? I was the target of all that rage. Even a certain user who is now "Banned via warnings" came to my profile to continue the flame war.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I mean, I fail to see how toxic it is to say "No, major characters aren't side characters" and how correcting the counter claim is inherently toxic. Not saying everyone acted like angels there, but outside of like 2 people I fail to see the toxicity

osby

Smash Obsessed
Only people I see angry are those butthurt about the discussion. It's always the same every time the subject comes up, allegedly it's a topic that's inflammatory and whatever but it never turns out that way.
I know it's shocking but maybe some people want to discuss newcomers and not cuts in a thread that's literally named Newcomer/DLC Discussion.

It's so weird that people who are obsessed with cuts never go to a thread focused on that subject and instead clogs this topic with constant debates that go on for pages and never anywhere productive. And mods hardly ever object to this so I can understand why people go "do we have to do this again?"

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I know it's shocking but maybe some people want to discuss newcomers and not cuts in a thread that's literally named Newcomer/DLC Discussion.

It's so weird that people who are obsessed with cuts never go to a thread focused on it and instead clogs this topic with constant debates that go on for pages and never anywhere productive. And mods never object to or stop it so I can understand where people go "do we have to do this again?"
Ok. Here's my speculation:
Fighter's Pass Volume 2 will contain Spring Man, Doom Slayer, Shovel Knight, Rex & Pyra, Crash Bandicoot, and Heihachi.
Rayman is a Mii Costume a la Sans and Cuphead.
Between Fighter's Pass 2 characters, we will get Individual DLC characters sprinkled in.
Echo Fighters will be free to Nintendo Switch Online subscribers.
These include Ms. Pac-Man, Dry Bowser, Funky Kong, Proto Man, and Shadow the Hedgehog.

Is that bold enough?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Hey, so here's an idea. What if Sakurai added content from your favourite game period in Smash? Assuming it already has a character, what content could they bring to make you especially excited? As my favourite game is Order of Ecclesia, it'd be adding Shanoa as a character, Albus as an AT, Rhapsody of the Forsaken, Order of the Demon, Dissonant Courage, Sorrow's Distortion, The Colossus, Lament to the Master, Jaws of a Scorched Earth, Unholy Vespers and A Clashing of Waves. All of this and I would have no right to complain ever again

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Hey, so here's an idea. What if Sakurai added content from your favourite game period in Smash? Assuming it already has a character, what content could they bring to make you especially excited? As my favourite game is Order of Ecclesia, it'd be adding Shanoa as a character, Albus as an AT, Rhapsody of the Forsaken, Order of the Demon, Dissonant Courage, Sorrow's Distortion, The Colossus, Lament to the Master, Jaws of a Scorched Earth, Unholy Vespers and A Clashing of Waves. All of this and I would have no right to complain ever again
Majora's Mask is actually pretty stacked in Smash, so I guess I'll say make Skull Kid a fighter :yoshi:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I that case you get Tabuu as a playable character. The crossover we've all been waiting for, Smash Ultimate X Smash Brawl
Actually, I remember during Brawl's speculation days that a few Subspace images got leaked, and a fair amount of people thought that Taboo was playable.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Kirby Star Allies
-Bandana Dee as a fighter
-Castle Dedede is a stage
-Spirits of Kirby characters that are not in Smash
-More representation from the 4 modern games. (RtDL, TD, PR and this.)

osby

Smash Obsessed
Persona 3 already got quite a bit content considering it has no fighter but I'd add Aegis or Minato as a fighter, Elizabeth as an AT, S.E.E.S. as Spirits, Akihiko, Mitsuru and Aegis as Mii costumes and these tracks:

Burn My Dread
Deep Breath Deep Breath
Master of Shadow
Master of Tartarus
Unavoidable Battle
The Snow Queen
Heartful Cry
Darkness

Honorable mention is Sonic Unleashed because no Endless Possibilities in Smash is a constitutional crime.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Xenoblade Chronicles already has a decent chunk of content in Smash (aside from the somewhat lacking music selection IMO), but I'd gladly take Fiora as a playable character alongside a Mechonis Field/Central Factory stage.

D

Deleted member

EDIT: How the hell did I post this 3 times lmao
Oh, I would love It if they added these things from both Super Metroid and DQ8:

>Phantoom boss fight
>Crocomire Spirit battle
>The Brinstar Depths theme version from Super Metroid
>Yangus, Jessica and Angelo Mii costumes
>DQ8 spirits

And besides that, I would love to see some Alex Kidd stuff, be It an assist trophy or a Mii costume.

osby

Smash Obsessed
And besides that, I would love to see some Alex Kidd stuff, be It an assist trophy or a Mii costume.
I don't know much about Alex Kidd aside from his status as the mascot of SEGA before Sonic.

What kind of content would he bring?

D

Deleted member

I don't know much about Alex Kidd aside from his status as the mascot of SEGA before Sonic.

Moveset wise not really much sadly.

While I really enjoy some of his games, all he tends to do in his games is just Punch, Kick in the air, ride some vehicles and defeat bosses through rock, paper, Scissors (while in High Tech World and Shinobi World he does more, those are sadly reskins of other games).

So I feel that Alex Kidd works way better as an assist, as much as I wish he was a fighter (and games such as Project X Zone did in fact take this approach and It worked really well). I would welcome a Mii costume too doh.

That said, his games have a lot of great music, as is common with SEGA:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

An assist trophy could have him riding the Peticopter while he's pelting players with bullets.

That, or everyone is forced to play rock, paper, scissors for their lives.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I hope I don't look like a broken record by doing this but I gotta pick TimeSplitters for this as it is one my favourite series of all time.

Character: Has to be Sgt. Cortez but it would be a Bowser Jr. type of situation so you'd have his partner Corporal hart and six other characters from different time periods that either Cortez and Hart can turn into. Got some pictures below of what they look like if anyone is interested.

Sgt. Cortez smash.jpg

Corp Hart smash.jpg

Captain Ash smash.jpg

Viola smash.jpg

Harry Tipper smash.jpg

Gretel MK2 smash.jpg

Elijah Jones smash.jpg

Chastity smash.jpg

And the stage would be errr...

Oh wait I've already done this so might as well post this here as it explains what I'd like to see.

Cortez fighter pack.png

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I want a character, and therefore that character won't get in. Unless it was :ultbyleth:.
If clones are the whole reason people get angry why were the two most unique newcomers for the series the ones that got the most hate?
From what I've seen, those are two different camps.

EDIT: How the hell did I post this 3 times lmao
I've got two favorites, so I'll give my ideas for each.
  • Either Lakitu or Waluigi gets upgraded from Assist Trophy into fighter
    • They remain as Assist Trophies regardless
  • Either Pipe Plaza or Waluigi Pinball as a stage for each respective choice
  • Some music such as...
    • MKDS Battle Theme remix
    • new Waluigi Pinball/Wario Stadium remix
    • Figure-8 Circuit
    • Bowser Castle Medley (SNES, Wii, Wii U)
    • Grumble Volcano
    • Wario's Gold Mine
  • Mario Kart R.O.B. spirit, as well as some bosses such as King Bob-Omb and Chief Chilly
  • Mii Driver outfit (from MK8D)
  • Dante becomes a fighter
  • Temen-Ni-Gru becomes a stage
    • It would function like either Spiral Mountain or Garreg Mach Monastery
  • Vergil Assist Trophy
  • Some Music such as...
    • Public Enemy
    • Ultra Violet
    • Dante's Office 7 Hells Battle
    • Vergil Battle 2
    • Jester Battle
    • Devils Never Cry
    • Shall Never Surrender
    • Sworn Through Swords
    • Devil Trigger
    • Voltaic Black Knight
  • A spirit board containing some "important" characters in the series
  • Dante, Vergil, and Nero Mii costumes
The Mario Bros. could also work as a duo fighter. Also, playable Galleom would be nice.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
  • Dante becomes a fighter
  • Temen-Ni-Gru becomes a stage
    • It would function like either Spiral Mountain or Garreg Mach Monastery
  • Vergil Assist Trophy
  • Some Music such as...
    • Public Enemy
    • Ultra Violet
    • Dante's Office 7 Hells Battle
    • Vergil Battle 2
    • Jester Battle
    • Devils Never Cry
    • Shall Never Surrender
    • Sworn Through Swords
    • Devil Trigger
    • Voltaic Black Knight
  • A spirit board containing some "important" characters in the series
  • Dante, Vergil, and Nero Mii costumes
Seconds after I see this post, my playlist started playing Devils Never Cry.

He's in.

D

Deleted member

Another Sonic Unleashed track which I would love to see added in Smash would be The World Adventure:

This has to be one of the best non-lyrics themed of the Sonic series.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Another Sonic Unleashed track which I would love to see added in Smash would be The World Adventure:

This has to be one of the best non-lyrics themed of the Sonic series.
All this Sonic Unleashed talk makes me want Dark Gaia in Smash as a boss fight so much!
The_Darkness_rises.png

Pdarkgaiav1.png

He looks more like something out of Kirby.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I've been meaning to ask for quite some time, and since you're one of its biggest defenser: why Octoling? Aren't they just a different skin of Inkling? I've played some Splatoon 2 (but not the solo expansion), and they don't play much of a significant role? Or is it that it's all about that DLC and some new mechanics introduced in it?
It’s focused on the DLC, different weapons, setting, story, characters, music... the Octo expansion is just amazing dawg

Flyboy

Smash Hero
For Nier Automata, we get 2B as a fighter, A2 as an echo fighter, 9S as an assist trophy who hacks peoples' controls, the abandoned amusement park as a stage complete with the roller coaster ride and Simone as a stage hazard, and around 12 tracks including several from the original Nier Replicant. And while I doubt we could get Kaine's outfit, perhaps A2 can have Nier's outfit as a bonus eighth costume and we can get spirits from both Replicant and Automata.

Even just getting 2B and a cool stage would be great but I'm going whole hog here.

D

Deleted member

For Nier Automata, we get 2B as a fighter, A2 as an echo fighter, 9S as an assist trophy who hacks peoples' controls, the abandoned amusement park as a stage complete with the roller coaster ride and Simone as a stage hazard, and around 12 tracks including several from the original Nier Replicant. And while I doubt we could get Kaine's outfit, perhaps A2 can have Nier's outfit as a bonus eighth costume and we can get spirits from both Replicant and Automata.

Even just getting 2B and a cool stage would be great but I'm going whole hog here.
It would be cool if we could also get some tracks from other Yoko Taro creations such as Drakengard.

And of course, I could see the famous Yoko Taro head being a Mii hat.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It would be cool if we could also get some tracks from other Yoko Taro creations such as Drakengard.

And of course, I could see the famous Yoko Taro head being a Mii hat.
Oh yes, Zero and Caim spirits are a must, and maybe Angelus using the Rathalos assist trophies. And of course the Emil head has to be a Mii hat.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace

It's so weird that people who are obsessed with cuts never go to a thread focused on that subject and instead clogs this topic with constant debates that go on for pages and never anywhere productive. And mods hardly ever object to this so I can understand why people go "do we have to do this again?"
Honestly. It's more than a little irritating repeatedly seeing an armchair Thanos talk about how they should properly restore balance to the univer- I mean, post-Ultimate Smash roster whenever that comes about. Let's just focus on all the exciting possibilities of what newcomers may join the fray for now, as opposed to looking for who to axe. Smash 6 is a looooong ways off and this DLC cycle still isn't even halfway done, that much is certain.

D

Deleted member

I already posted this a few days ago, but.....
Technically there isn’t any content originating from the "Ultra" versions of Pokemon Sun & Moon.
....Or they could just..... make a third Poke Ball that exclusively summons Ultra Beasts, that be pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I already posted this a few days ago, but.....
Technically there isn’t any content originating from the "Ultra" versions of Pokemon Sun & Moon.
....Or they could just..... make a third Poke Ball that exclusively summons Ultra Beasts, that be pretty cool.
I like the theme for the Mii costumes. All alien and extraterrestrial beings with a little human resistance.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Man, thinking about MvCI still bums me out. That game had so much potential. The gameplay was awesome, Venom is returning to the series is great, and having X, Zero, and Sigma together in a Vs. game still puts a smile on my face. It's a shame that basically everything else relating to the roster, visuals, and marketing **** the bed. If only poor MvCI had a little longer to cook, a little more budget, and less executives with their hands in the pot.

Oh yeah, Smash.

Don't make the next Smash like MvCI. Give games the time, budget, and freedom they need to develop. Nintendo choosing the DLC characters is fine, but let's keep the base game to the devs.

blackghost

Smash Champion
We lost Wolf, Snake, Ivysaur and Squirtle, Young Link, Ice Climbers, and Pichu without a problem. We would find an excuse for any of the FE characters being cut in next game.
i'll give you Ivy and Squirtle but toon link effectively replaced young link, ice climbers was a tech limitation/balancing issue, and pichu was a character many people viewed as a joke prior to ultimate.

fox already had a semiclone giving him another felt like overkill to some.

the other problem is in context most of the FE characters are bigger than the cut characters in the past (exclusing the 1st gen starters).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom