• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm just going to finish this with one final analogy. If it doesn't stick, then **** it. I'm not gonna waste any more time heated over Fire Emblem.

In the 2008 movie, The Dark Knight, Heath Ledger's Joker was critically acclaimed from film critics and comic nerds alike. He was the star of the show for them.
But to the millions of "normies", Batman was the star of the show. Normies outnumber core fans significantly.

Damn. You were one word away from making this mean something COMPLETELY different.
This is going to sound like a ****post/copypasta, but I will just offer a retort to the point with The Dark Knight.

When I was in middle school, I was in the drama club. The play that year was Peter Pan...there I was! Captain Hook! The one and only! We performed in front of an audience, but also had younger kids, probably in their kindergarten or 1st grade years, sitting on the edge of the stage watching us.

Despite being the villain/antagonist of the story, I was considered the “star of the show” by the audience because of my performance. I was a star! Too bad I didn’t pursue my career as Jake Gyllenhaal 2.0!

My point is, even though the audience thought I stole the show, I was still playing the part of protagonist. Just because I was popular at the time didn’t mean it was about me.

Granted, I think the terms we’re talking mean different things to different people. While the player in Three Houses controls Byleth in the literal sense, the plot as it exists cannot progress without the actions of the Three House Leaders. In the sense that they are vital to the plot, they cannot simply be side characters. They are too vital to the plot to be labeled as such, especially not on the same level as a House member such as, for example, Ignatz, who despite being a party member is not necessarily all that important to the plot overall.

To your comment on my Tifa thing, oof. That would be an entirely different statement. Tifa is great, don’t get me wrong, but I ain’t about to get near that ****, lmao.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Bad wording on my part. I meant to say "Too new".
Too new wasn't the correct thing either. It was just developed at the wrong time as Smash to work out.

Nobody was "too new" in that way. Because that's not how Smash development works. It's a misleading way to say it. It's entirely about correct timing for them to properly understand the character during development periods if a game is just coming out.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
...Donkey Kong didn't come from Mario. Mario came from Donkey Kong. They crossover a lot, and DK characters do appear in Mario side games too.

But I agree with your point.
Yeah, I keep getting messed up on that. It doesn't help that I didn't learn that until AFTER I started using the Internet...

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Just so you know, I've cut off the arguments, but since it's a simple question: A side character is any character that is not the main character.
Not to reignite any arguments, but since I honestly want to know where your point of view is here, what about when there are multiple main characters?

Look, all I'm gonna say is, is that not every narrative puts the main focus of the story exclusively on one lone lead. Sometimes there's more than one protagonist. And I don't mean just a deuteragonist or two .I mean actual multiple main characters getting just as much focus as the others holding just as much importance to the franchise and it's storyline as each other. Would you still define them all as side characters, then? And which ones among them are side characters vs which one is the main character?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Having 200 characters is insane! And on an older 3D game no less! The game's probably horribly unbalanced, but still...
That depends. Are there only, like, 20 movesets?

I could easily go into any Soul Calibur game and make 200 characters. If I can do it, a game studio can do it.

There is a main character for every story and the rest is known as the supporting cast.
A supporting character may be major or minor, but the label is the same, and nowhere does it imply that all supporting characters are equally important.
I've been in plays where some supporting characters are almost ambiguous as to whether they are the main character or a supporting character and some supporting characters get three lines in the whole script.
But that doesn't change the terminology of "main character" and "supporting cast".
I mean, you're not wrong there.

Thanos isn't what most people would consider a "side character" in Infinity War. But if Josh Brolin were to get an Oscar nomination for Thanos it would be for "Best Supporting Actor".

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I do appreciate that despite this current conversation, some folks have pointed out my taste in gaming waifus.

I feel validated.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Me walking into this waifuwar
View attachment 271411
I will openly admit that, having not visited this thread very much until recently, seeing this ordeal is giving me flashbacks to the days of the old Smash 4 Roster speculation threads.

Albeit, this is still incredibly tame compared to some of the **** storms that brewed back then.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I'm just gonna cross-post what I said in the Byleth thread regarding Fire Emblem cuts awhile back:

Add in :ultbyleth:, who also has a unique playstyle and best represents the actual gameplay of Fire Emblem, the equation gets even more complicated.
I feel if the Fire Emblem Cast were to lose characters for the next Smash title, the ones I believe would get the cut are Roy (and by extension Chrom), Lucina (kinda), and Corrin. Roy already got the axe before and I don't see why that cannot happen again and since he is Roy's Echo Fighter, Chrom would have go as well. In Lucina's case, I can easily her become an alternate costume for Marth. Corrin is tied to Fire Emblem Fates which was the newest game of the series by the time of his inclusion. I feel that Byleth will be Corrin's replacement in the future considering Three Houses was far more successful commercially and critically.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That depends. Are there only, like, 20 movesets?

I could easily go into any Soul Calibur game and make 200 characters. If I can do it, a game studio can do it.
Hmm, good point. I dunno.

I will openly admit that, having not visited this thread very much until recently, seeing this ordeal is giving me flashbacks to the days of the old Smash 4 Roster speculation threads.

Albeit, this is still incredibly tame compared to some of the **** storms that brewed back then.
I am so sorry if you had to deal with past me. Past me was too invested in his characters of choice and didn't know he wasn't funny.

GET EQUIPPED
With
SMOL FRIEND
Whelp...Now I know what I'm petitioning Capcom for.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
you know how :ulthero:'s trailer played on WoL, particularly focusing on the Dark Realm? If you had to have two follow up newcomer trailers, one focused in the Light Realm (with maybe some creative liberties like Hero's trailer did) and one for the final battle where both Galeem and Dharkon are being fought, which character would you choose for each trailer and how would it go?

I'll do mine shortly
...so "Make up trailers for your most wanted in such a way as to include the WoL bosses?"

Brilliant!

So, it starts pretty similarly to the standard WoL intro, cutting frequently to show off slow mo clips, but made deliberately desaturated. Kinda like some Avengers: Endgame trailer vibes. Anyway, it shows off most of the heroes as Galeem dusts them, finishing on that clip of Sonic getting dusted as he's reaching out to Pikachu.

Fade to white

The camera comes up on an overcast day in the WoL city, where several of Galeem's puppet fighters are patrolling. Galeem hovers in the sky like some bizarre sun, encased in his cage watching his paradise. The camera strolls through Galeem's 'perfect' world, and it focuses in on a street corner. A squirrel pops out of a bush and runs across the street, but is spotted by Isabelle. Her eyes glow red and she pounces on it. It shatters to reveal itself as a robot. Her eyes narrow as she looks around. She sees it: another little robot, a bird, flies out of the tree and away. We see from the bird's POV as it flies off, watching Isabelle get steadily more annoyed.

Cut to a computer screen watching from the bird. The camera pulls back to show a cloaked figure typing instructions in the computer, and then pulls back farther to show we're in the WoL base. A few little woodland creatures hop up to the door. The cloaked figure comes out and speaks to them for a moment, then runs inside with a surprising burst of speed (leaving the cloak behind for comic effect). A few moments later, the front door of the base opens and a red biplane flies out. We zoom in as the pilot hops out for a moment to pose.

Splash screen: Tails Engineers his Entrance!

We watch as the Tornado flies off into the sky toward Galeem.

[Game images of Tails fighting other Galeem-captured characters and Galleom]

At the end, we watch as Tails uses his tails to fly up into the clouds. He lands and walks up to Galeem. "I'm not afraid of you anymore!" He pushes a button on a device and it summons a giant laser beam to pierce Galeem. Tails leaps into action as the Smash Ultimate logo comes in.

It's dark, and wind is whipping around. The only light we see is a figure carrying a torch, but we can't make out anything else. The camera cuts a few times following him into an old dark fortress and down a few of the halls. The whole time, an old man is giving a voiceover.

"At first, there was only one..."

The figure with the torch passes by a wall and lights a brazier. He's still mostly in shadow, but we're able to get a look at the carved relief on the wall, showing a stylized Master Hand facing down someone who slightly resembles Ocarina of Time Link.

"It controlled us all. We were nothing but its playthings. We wanted freedom, and we rebelled."

The figure lights up another wall relief, showing the fighters (now including someone who looks like old-school Peach) killing the Master Hand expy.

"But it was not over. He returned. We defeated him again, and he returned again. We had been betrayed. Our own kin brought back the demon, hoping to use its power to become gods themselves."

Another relief: The scene from the Subspace Emissary where Ganondorf and Bowser stand atop the gunship. Another: ROBs detonating Subspace bombs

"It could not be done. We had all been deceived. We were all puppets of a greater master."

Another relief: Tabuu controlling the Master Hand.

"Together, we finally defeated the lord of Subspace, and set to rebuilding our world. We were free."

The final relief: Several fighters in their Brawl looks defeating Tabuu

"Or so we thought..."

The figure arrives in a large hall and lights a brazier. He's nobody - just some random old prophet looking guy in a grey robe. He walks to a bookshelf and pulls out a gilded scroll. With a deep breath, he opens it. A flash of light, and we watch as the parchment fades in as he continues narrating, a hint of pain in his voice. As he speaks, we scroll past sketched images of what he says.

"There were so many. We tried to take them down, but we could only watch as it absorbed their energy. Their light. Light was its weapon, and it struck us down, one by one. Once again, we were nothing but puppets for a cruel overlord. But the little one survived. He travelled trough the being of light's world, trying to save as many as he could. He and the few that were saved went on to defeat the mysterious being."
"And then the darkness came. The world descended into a deeper horror. Two gods, vying for power, with us caught in the middle."

The camera goes back to the old man, crouched over the scroll, his eyes fully blinded. He raises his head and turns slightly, talking to someone behind him.

"Their defeat was merely a delay. But it has been foretold in the scrolls that a true hero would rise, one who could defeat both the armies of light and of darkness. The one with the soul of the dragons themselves."

He turns around

"We will see if you truly have the gift. Show me, Dragonborn. Let me taste the power of your Voice."

We finally get to see the newcomer as he shouts into his splash screen:
The Dragonborn Comes! Sidenote: I'd rather go with "Dovahkiin" for the name, but this is probably the best tagline.

[images from in game]

At the end, we watch as Dovahkiin climbs the Throat of the World to see Galeem and Dharkon fighting each other. They both stop fighting and turn to see the newcomer. And then the entrie rest of the Smash cast follows, so we get to see every single one of them on screen at the same time, alts included. Dovahkiin stands at the front and unleashes a massive FUS RO DAH as we cut to the logo.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
I get what you're saying. I just don't agree. Most of the DLC characters have only one clear reason as to why they were added. That's not to say that Nintendo's just picking names out of a hat, but the characters don't exactly need to have all their little ducks in a row to even be considered.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...There's no way that Nintendo would be so tone deaf as to add original the character from a low profile spin-off game that, if I wasn't misinformed, neither Shin Megamei Tensei nor Fire Emblem fans liked due to the game not really using either property beyond a surface level, especially since the main criticism is that each character from the series feels like Marth. Even if they went with Tsubasa, it would still be a bad choice, because now her target audience is miffed because you added the closest character to Caeda that isn't Caeda.
My reason is a bit of both sarcastically/seriously for a TMS FE Encore character(s). Plus, who doesn't want a another Joker in Smash. Edit: If the image is broken, it just a picture of Itsuki Aoi in the Rebellious Joker outfit.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well guys its official.

We're supposedly just one month away from the ARMS reveal. Maybe FP7 as well.

Only 30 days to go.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Hey Guys, So Since i've seen people put their predictions on here, I Like to put mine on here. Now I've been told it's pretty crazy On gamefaqs, and i was roasted on my predictions, so I'm interested to what you guys might think.

FP2

-All 15 ARMS characters
-Isaac, From Golden Sun
-Reimu, From Touhou
-Professor Layton, from Professor Layton
-Mortal Kombat Ninjas (at Least Scorpion/Sub-Zero. Maybe also Reptile, Smoke, Noob, Ermac, Rain, Tremor)
-Master Chief, from Halo

And then also I Predict we will get Bonus Characters. these Include

Waluigi, From Super Mario
Geno, From Super Mario RPG
Rex & Pyra, from Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Shadow the Hedgehog, from Sonic the Hedgehog

And then as a Special, I'm also predicting Mrs.PAC-Man, Gooligi, and Octoling as Character Costumes or something.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Here's my thoughts on the Three Houses 'Who's the most popular/protagonist/deserving to be in Smash' thing:

In terms of narrative, Byleth and the House Leaders are the main protagonists of Three Houses' story, but who's leading the narrative changes both as the story goes on and the player makes their choices (which is nothing new for Fire Emblem, they've been doing that since Gaiden). For Part 1, Byleth's arc of discovering and adapting to his/her newfound role in the outside world through their students, the staff at Garreg Mach, and Sothis is the focus of the plot and most of the game's screentime. During this section of the story, the house leader serves more as a deuteragonist, having a subdued presence and arc relative to Byleth. However, around the end of Part 1, Byleth's arc of self-discovery wraps itself up and we see the begin to see the individual character arcs and motivations of the lords emerging. Then, once Part 1 ends and Part 2 begins, the lord's finally take their roles as the central protagonists. They're far more proactive, have defined character arcs, and the remainder of Three Houses is mostly about telling your central lord's story. Byleth, on the other hand, takes a more backseat role as pseudo-advisor to the main lord. They're still important and makes decisions that influence the plot, but Byleth's arc is largely over and his spot as the centre of the story is filled in by Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude.

So, why was Byleth chosen over Edelgard, Dimitri, or Claude? I think there's one primary reason: Byleth is the universal tenant of Three Houses. No matter what route you take, who dies, and who you recruit, you'll still be using Byleth. Part 1's story also has the same general brush strokes regardless of house, so everyone gets to see Byleth's part of the story unfold. They're the one thing that's guaranteed to be present in any Three Houses playthrough. On the other hand, you get very little time directly with the lords unless you play their route. Unless you played the Crimson Flower route, you're mostly going to know Edelgard as an antagonist you largely learn about indirectly until the end of the story. Same deal for Dimitri and Claude. Byleth, by comparison, is someone everyone who plays the game will have some direct experience with.

In terms of popularity, yeah the house leaders are miles more popular than Byleth. They blow them out of the water in basically any poll that exists. That shouldn't really surprise anyone, given who each of these characters are. Byleth is an obvious player insert, they're a (mostly) mute stoic that's meant to be a blank canvas to project your own personality on to. Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude are not player inserts in the slightest, so they have much more defined personalities and goals. Generally, characters who are more fleshed out with these qualities tend to be more interesting to watch and often end up being much more popular than their generic counterparts. It's like Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck. Mickey's the face of Disney, so he has to be as tame and inoffensive as popular. Donald doesn't have this pressure, so he's free to show a much more vast range of emotions, which generally makes him far more engaging.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Now I've been told it's pretty crazy On gamefaqs, and i was roasted on my predictions, so I'm interested to what you guys might think.
Ok. It's not like it can be too unreali-
-All 15 ARMS characters
No way. The only way this would happen is if they were treated like a custom character, which is already pie in the sky, and even then I doubt they'd add all 15 of them since their abilities range from obviously good (Dr. Coyle) to obviously bad (Master Mummy) to pointless in a 2D space (Helix). And that's not even considering the work it would require.

-Isaac, From Golden Sun
-Reimu, From Touhou
-Professor Layton, from Professor Layton
-Mortal Kombat Ninjas (at Least Scorpion/Sub-Zero. Maybe also Reptile, Smoke, Noob, Ermac, Rain, Tremor)
-Master Chief, from Halo
I think these picks are at least decently plausible, but not in this combination. It'd certainly go out with a bang though, and I'd be pretty happy with this result.

And then also I Predict we will get Bonus Characters.
I'm pretty sure this as a concept is flat out not happening. As far as picks go though, I'd be happy.

Last edited:

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
I've been meaning to ask for quite some time, and since you're one of its biggest defenser: why Octoling? Aren't they just a different skin of Inkling? I've played some Splatoon 2 (but not the solo expansion), and they don't play much of a significant role? Or is it that it's all about that DLC and some new mechanics introduced in it?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
enough with the cuts discussion

i got an interesting new topic(TM)

you know how :ulthero:'s trailer played on WoL, particularly focusing on the Dark Realm? If you had to have two follow up newcomer trailers, one focused in the Light Realm (with maybe some creative liberties like Hero's trailer did) and one for the final battle where both Galeem and Dharkon are being fought, which character would you choose for each trailer and how would it go?

I'll do mine shortly
can I cheat and say sora for both light and dark?

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Ok. It's not like it can be too unreali-

No way. The only way this would happen is if they were treated like a custom character, which is already pie in the sky, and even then I doubt they'd add all 15 of them since their abilities range from obviously good (Dr. Coyle) to obviously bad (Master Mummy) to pointless in a 2D space (Helix). And that's not even considering the work it would require.

I think these picks are at least decently plausible, but not in this combination. It'd certainly go out with a bang though, and I'd be pretty happy with this result.

I'm pretty sure this as a concept is flat out not happening. As far as picks go though, I'd be happy.
Okay i heard about the Combination thing on Gamefaqs too. What about this combination seems very unlikely?

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
How about talking about what stages we’d like to see with our most wanted? I’ll go:

Sora: Station of Awakening
Crash: N. Sanity Beach
Adeleine & Ribbon: Ripple Star
Min Min: Ramen Bowl
Axel Stone: Wood Oak City Slums
Euden: The Halidom
Bandana Dee: Castle Dedede
Poochy: Rail-Yard Run
Shake King: Stonecarving City
Amaterasu: Ark of Yamato (or Moon Cave with Orochi.)
Crash: N. Sanity Island
Heavy: 2Fort

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Dudes flipping the bird in that pic, might wanna spoiler box it so you don’t get warned
To be fair, in Byleth's reveal video, Sakurai found a way to literally give us the finger, by going through the hand gestures of the numbers and stopping with his middle finger up.

I think that, along with the premise of him counting at all, was almost a figurative and literal f*** you.

Ok. Theater kid from High School here.
There is a main character for every story and the rest is known as the supporting cast.
A supporting character may be major or minor, but the label is the same, and nowhere does it imply that all supporting characters are equally important.
I've been in plays where some supporting characters are almost ambiguous as to whether they are the main character or a supporting character and some supporting characters get three lines in the whole script.
But that doesn't change the terminology of "main character" and "supporting cast".
I don't know where we are at in the conversation, but I'm always happy when theater is brought up. Which is rarely. So Im gonna chime in.
The terms are still loose, at best.
Take the academy awards, as an example.
Kate Winsley finally won an Oscar as the lead in 'The Reader.'
Except that she wasn't the lead, she was labeled as a supporting character, and that's the Oscar she won.
By any narrative account, and quite frankly any account plausible, she was a Lead character in the movie.
Yet, she was labeled as a Supporting Actor because of political nonsense (in short, the producers put her in as supporting thinking she would have better odds- though I guess she did, as she won).
The same year she was a lead actress, nominated, in 'Revolutionary Road.'

The whole thing on terminology isn't specifically related to theater.
There aren't official terms anywhere in theatrical lexicon that dictate what is one and what is the other.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
To be fair, in Byleth's reveal video, Sakurai found a way to literally give us the finger, by going through the hand gestures of the numbers and stopping with his middle finger up.

I think that, along with the premise of him counting at all, was almost a figurative and literal f*** you.
I dunno what version of Byleth's reveal video you watched, but Sakurai did not give us the finger when he was counting.

He even counted by putting his fingers down instead of up like you normally do in binary counting, specifically to avoid that. If you count in binary by putting the relevant fingers up, you flip people off when you get to four. The way Sakurai did it, you have to get up to 26 before you flip someone off, and he only counted up to 17.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I dunno what version of Byleth's reveal video you watched, but Sakurai did not give us the finger when he was counting.

He even counted by putting his fingers down instead of up like you normally do in binary counting, specifically to avoid that. If you count in binary by putting the relevant fingers up, you flip people off when you get to four. The way Sakurai did it, you have to get up to 26 before you flip someone off, and he only counted up to 17.
I just rewatched, and you're right.
But more fascinating is that Sakurai can curl his pinky down without his ring finger following.
Try it without using your thumb or palm to catch your pinky. It's really difficult if not impossible for some.

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, despite being from Final Fantasy VII please add Tifa. She’s ****ing cool, beats ass, and is a really great character.

Fight me.

God I love a woman who can beat my ass.
Character: Tifa
Stage: Sector 7 Pillar - Daytime so we can have cameos from Avalanche members like Barret (with Marlene on his shoulder), Jessie, Biggs and Wedge, other minor NPCs like Marle and Wymer, even people from other sectors Aerith, Leslie, Kyrie or "the trio" would come to watch the fight... Plus it would look very different from the Midgar Stage we already have.
Spirits: Jessie, Biggs and Wedge as a single Novice spirit, Barret, Aerith and Red XIII as Advanced spirits, Reno, Rude and Tseng as a single Ace spirit, same for Shinra's executives, and Sephiroth as the Legend Spirit. Maybe Zack as an Ace spirit tooif we don't get him as an echo fighter
Music: The Remake has enough music for a Fighter Pack, but this one is a must :estatic:

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Ok. Theater kid from High School here.
As a fellow theater kid from high school and still to this day, the terms "main character" and "supporting character" can be so meaningless.
The best example I can think of is a production of Addams Family I was in. Gomez was listed as the lead, whereas Wednesday was not. But why not? The story revolves around her, and she's in almost every scene, whereas the lead Gomez is in just as many scenes as Wednesday.

My point is that in many pieces of media, a lot of the time there isn't just one "main character" but rather a "main cast" and sometimes characters that are labeled as "supporting cast" could be just as important as the "main cast"

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
The user dropped the argument over a page ago. Best to let it go entirely. It's not worth it. They don't want to continue as is.

Besides, it's not a big deal. People get stuff wrong often. You don't need to worry about it, heh.
Yeah that's my bad for replying before getting fully caught up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom