• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm curious, do you think it would be a character from:

- LoL
- Fortnight
- Overwatch

other
If we're talking likelihood, then personal bias aside, I'd say LoL is the most likely. It's the undisputed main IP of Riot (unlike OW, which has to go up against Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo), and is also (arguably) the one with the longest legacy between those three. This alone is no confirmation, but we have to remember that the most recent new third party IP in Smash is Bayonetta (2009).

I guess you could make a stretch and put Persona 5 (2016) up there, since its content in Smash is mostly focused on that specific installment, but even then, those two were the second and third IPs from a company that already had a playable character in the game. So I'm not sure if they would make an exception for Fortnight or OW.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm curious, do you think it would be a character from:

- LoL
- Fortnight
- Overwatch

other
Overwatch is on Switch and has actual characters so I think that one.
Unrelated to Nintendo, but

Geoff has basically 'made' an extended E3 between May and August. Trailers, reveals, gameplays, and more. Nintendo isn't involved.
Given how he couldn't fill the last Game Awards show without like 8 "different" LoL and MTG games and other various licensed games, I find it hilarious that he's trying to usurp E3. Couldn't even get 2 out of the 3 console makers so it's already looking grim.

And honestly, why is it a four-month-long event? That's just way too long, you don't need so much time and it's very hard to keep excitement built up for four months.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Given how he couldn't fill the last Game Awards show without like 8 "different" LoL and MTG games and other various licensed games, I find it hilarious that he's trying to usurp E3. Couldn't even get 2 out of the 3 console makers so it's already looking grim.

And honestly, why is it a four-month-long event? That's just way too long, you don't need so much time and it's very hard to keep excitement built up for four months.
A lot of people, Geoff included, don't trust E3 anymore due to documents leaking last year which basically doxxed everyone who attended iirc, not to mention Geoff's a big name with ties in the industry, I don't think most people who pay attention to E3 could name any names from the E3 staff so branding works in his favour here

SKX31

Smash Master
I get the impression that it's not an event per se - rather, it seems to be a unified platform for companies to show off their projects.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Game Awards really weren’t that bad last year besides the 8 LoL games but that’s not saying much when we’ve had E3’s that were like 9x more abysmal than Game Awards 2019.

What was it like E3 2011? Oof.

D

Deleted member

Gotta agree with Idon Idon , why are we still talking companies and not characters?
Well I certainly thought about a few characters who I have no real knowledge of that'll stray from the talk of companies for now.

The other day, I was thinking about the MLP for Smash twitter for some reason, and then I saw that Them's Fightin Herds came out of Early Access on Steam yesterday. I only know about this game from Deezus and Weegee playing it on FWOB, and I also learned that this game was created by a group of people that made an unofficial MLP fighting game until Hasbro gave them a cease and desist. Lauren Faust was also involved in the game as well, so that's pretty cool.

Yeah it'd definitely be so out there for a character from Them's Fightin Herds to be in Smash, but you know what? I'll be down for it. I may not know anything about this game currently, but I would be super open into seeing it somehow get represented in Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Yeah my only fear is that this maybe will have a ton of advertising, just like the Game Awards.
But in any case this seems to be different and not an unique show like the E3. Seems like each company and developer will talk about their games when they want. Xbox will be doing a showcase next week for Series X, including gameplay from third party games, and they plan to make another showcase in summer for their first party titles. So I'm expecting that this Summerfest will offer more liberty to developers than E3.

Not expecting news from all these developers coming out at the same time, I just think we will get info gradually during the upcoming months, but always under this Summerfest thing.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well I certainly thought about a few characters who I have no real knowledge of.

The other day, I was thinking about the MLP for Smash twitter for some reason, and then I saw that Them's Fightin Herds came out of Early Access on Steam yesterday. I only know about this game from Deezus and Weegee playing it on FWOB, and I also learned that this game was created by a group of people that made an unofficial MLP fighting game until Hasbro gave them a cease and desist. Lauren Faust was also involved in the game as well, so that's pretty cool.

Yeah it'd definitely be so out there for a character from Them's Fightin Herds to be in Smash, but you know what? I'll be down for it. I may not know anything about this game currently, but I would be super open into seeing it somehow get represented in Smash.
From what I've seen it seems to be a pretty decent fighting game. What grabs my attention is the dynamic music. Every character has their own musical motif that starts playing when they're winning. It's a really cool concept and I'd love to see that in other games (though it's probably not possible with massive rosters).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
From what I've seen it seems to be a pretty decent fighting game. What grabs my attention is the dynamic music. Every character has their own musical motif that starts playing when they're winning. It's a really cool concept and I'd love to see that in other games (though it's probably not possible with massive rosters).
I know the Kamen Rider fighting games did that as it was part of a mechanic which gave both fighters 50% meter if an opponent was down to their last 30% or so, had their theme songs start playing. MvC also did this in 3 iirc, but I think it was only after a KO, so if you KOed your opponent's Sentinel and Arthur came in after Sentinel, Arthur's theme would play

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Eh?
Sony and Microsoft are on the list of companies for the phase 1 line-up though. Only Nintendo is missing.
Thank my dumbass for looking for the word Sony when the PS logo was right there.
I get the impression that it's not an event per se - rather, it seems to be a unified platform for companies to show off their projects.
Then I don't really see the point in this, E3 and other events like it work because it being one week makes it a "rising tide lifts all ships". People tune in for one thing and stay for the others. Making it four months, I'm not sure what it accomplishes, other than making summer a big reveal season.
Implying League of Legends doesn't have characters.
It does, but is it on Switch?
Game Awards really weren’t that bad last year besides the 8 LoL games but that’s not saying much when we’ve had E3’s that were like 9x more abysmal than Game Awards 2019.

What was it like E3 2011? Oof.
Eh, difference of opinions, but I think companies have long since learned from those infamous E3s, so at this point everyone, including Keighley, should know better.

Plus, between a boring show with tons of ads and a legendary trainwreck like 2011, I'll take Giant Enemy Crabs any day.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I know the Kamen Rider fighting games did that as it was part of a mechanic which gave both fighters 50% meter if an opponent was down to their last 30% or so, had their theme songs start playing. MvC also did this in 3 iirc, but I think it was only after a KO, so if you KOed your opponent's Sentinel and Arthur came in after Sentinel, Arthur's theme would play
Marvel vs. Capcom's way of doing it is a bit different. Them's Fighting Herds plays the same song throughout the match, but depending on who's winning, the instruments associated with them will play instead of the ones that the stage theme normally uses it. Marvel vs. Capcom uses completely different character themes after someone loses a character (MvC3 & UMvC3), or when they activate an Infinity Stone (MvCI). I quite like this as well, though it does have the problem of never playing the stage theme for some reason (it always plays player 2's lead character theme instead).

No (at least not yet), but that wasn't the part I was refuting.

As far as The Game Awards go, I will forever wonder why they brought on Green Day, and why they didn't even play one of their good songs.

SKX31

Smash Master
Then I don't really see the point in this, E3 and other events like it work because it being one week makes it a "rising tide lifts all ships". People tune in for one thing and stay for the others. Making it four months, I'm not sure what it accomplishes, other than making summer a big reveal season.

The platform is likely not just for communicating when to release trailers, but also to help salvage plans. Those companies did most likely have E3 trailers in the pipeline if not parly complete - but the cancellation forced many hands. This salvaging is not going to be perfect, but it allows companies to release trailers without the time pressure of "Gotta get this ready for E3."

I know Geoff's independent from E3 at this point, but he might've been in a better position to build up a "Plan B" than E3.

As for LoL on Switch, not yet. But there's this (from October last year):

After a look at the job section of the Riot Games website, we found multiple positions referencing Nintendo's beloved handheld system. There are two for senior software engineers (specifically for the new game Wild Rift) and various other jobs that mention the Nintendo Switch. The senior software engineer positions both desire:

Experience shipping cross platform console games (XBox, PS, Switch)​
The software architect job at Riot's Platform group requires the following:

Experience and understanding with two or more of the following platforms: Microsoft Windows OS (desktop), iOS or Android OS (mobile), XB1, PS4, Nintendo Switch (console).​
And other positions such as the quality assurance lead for the Riot Platform Group ask for similar qualifications:

Experience with one or more of the following platforms: Microsoft Windows OS. (desktop), iOS or Android OS (mobile), XB1, PS4, Nintendo Switch (console)​
Link to Riot's website, showing job listings mentioning the Switch.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The platform is likely not just for communicating when to release trailers, but also to help salvage plans. Those companies did most likely have E3 trailers in the pipeline if not parly complete - but the cancellation forced many hands. This salvaging is not going to be perfect, but it allows companies to release trailers without the time pressure of "Gotta get this ready for E3."

I know Geoff's independent from E3 at this point, but he might've been in a better position to build up a "Plan B" than E3.

As for LoL on Switch, not yet. But there's this (from October last year):

Link to Riot's website, showing job listings mentioning the Switch.
That actually does make a lot of sense, I didn't think of that. With IGN doing their own ill-advised E3 replacement, I thought Keighley's thing was another one of those, not a temporary thing to allow companies to salvage what they might have prepared.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Well Persona 5 isn't on switch yet here we are.

And League is starting to branch out and try out new genres on consoles at least. It would make sense as a promotional pick for a new League game, especially if its on switch

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
For real though, Tracer would be super cool. Like, building up the Ult Meter by dodging attacks and shooting from afar, then going for the KO with the Pulse Bomb. Glass cannon but tons of mobility.

It's probably not all that likely, but BRO. GIMME.
Based. Overwatch is the only FPS not from Valve I'd be excited about joining Smash. It would be insane if she played exactly how she did in OW, like keeping her Ult after death and having cooldowns on all her specials.

Imagine having to watch a short POTG clip after every 1v1 match with Tracer. Would be hype ngl

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Based. Overwatch is the only FPS not from Valve I'd be excited about joining Smash. It would be insane if she played exactly how she did in OW, like keeping her Ult after death and having cooldowns on all her specials.

Imagine having to watch a short POTG clip after every 1v1 match with Tracer. Would be hype ngl
Then the POTG clip is just Tracer getting her ass beat until Snake accidentally blows himself up

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think Tracer would honestly be a natural fit, characterization-wise.

POTG celebration screen converts to the victory screen, just put together a bit better to fit it...emotes become taunts, cooldowns are visualized next to her icon at the bottom of the screen, costumes come straight from the game.

It’s weird, because Tracer is one of my favorite characters, yet I forgot about her in Smash. What a cool pick.

SKX31

Smash Master
The Electronics Entertainment Expo...Expy?
The Electronics Entertainment Expo EXTREME!

WE'RE GOING BACK TO THE 90S, WHEN ADS WERE PUBLISHED IN MAGAZINES, GAMES COULD BE ADVERTISED FOR MANY MONTHS AND LOOKED LIKE THIS:

HardcoreKirbeh.png

(From Electronic Gaming Monthly Issue 73, August '95. I was really tempted to pull up the ad where Kiddy Kong's a realistic gangster gorilla.)

It would be an amazing victory screen, though it would take a butt ton of work, and I'm not sure it's compatible with how Super Smash Bros. Ultimate saves replays.
That's difficult to say, but could happen? Depends on how the algoritm would recognize combos or incredible call-outs / self-destructs. As well as if the algortim can fit in Ultimate size-wise.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I feel like this is going to be anecdotal evidence vs anecdotal evidence but in my experiences, most people I talk to about games have never heard of Dragon Quest. They have, however, seen Slime. They just have no idea where it's from.
I just don't buy it. Like, Dragon Quest games come out pretty regularly. And in NA.

So, like, if they said they didn't PLAY DQ, I'd believe that. But when they say they've never even heard of it? Somebody is bull*****ing somebody.

Likewise, I don't believe anyone who says they've "never heard of Yakuza". It's a yearly franchise that is also a meme generating machine.

In both instances, those are either people who don't play games at all, or are basically doing a hyperbolic "Literal, WHO?!" with extra steps.

You just described literally every glass cannon except Little Mac and Mr. Game & Watch.
Little Mac has tons of mobility. It's just...none of it is in the air.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I think Tracer would honestly be a natural fit, characterization-wise.

POTG celebration screen converts to the victory screen, just put together a bit better to fit it...emotes become taunts, cooldowns are visualized next to her icon at the bottom of the screen, costumes come straight from the game.

It’s weird, because Tracer is one of my favorite characters, yet I forgot about her in Smash. What a cool pick.
Yeah. Tracer, and any OW character, would fit really well in Smash Bros. I've played a lot of OW and I enjoyed the game, not that I actively want Tracer for Smash (also because I think we would get another Blizzard franchise instead of OW, if they get a character I mean), but she would be an interesting pick.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
See I actually like the try-hard Extreme ads of the 90's. Better than some of the ones that shove in memes nowadays.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The Electronics Entertainment Expo EXTREME!

WE'RE GOING BACK TO THE 90S, WHEN ADS WERE PUBLISHED IN MAGAZINES, GAMES COULD BE ADVERTISED FOR MANY MONTHS AND LOOKED LIKE THIS:

View attachment 270767

(From Electronic Gaming Monthly Issue 73, August '95. I was really tempted to pull up the ad where Kiddy Kong's a realistic gangster gorilla.)

That's difficult to say, but could happen? Depends on how the algoritm would recognize combos or incredible call-outs / self-destructs. As well as if the algortim can fit in Ultimate size-wise.
Oh man that Kirby ad is something else. It almost reads as ironic with how hard they're trying juxtaposed with cute Kirby artwork.

I wonder why they never leaned into the whole "Kirby games end up being pretty hardcore and the dude has basically killed gods" angle when trying to make him seem cool.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The best ads from the 90s were the ones in Computer Gaming World for hentai games.

I miss you, Dragon Knight 3 ad...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
See I actually like the try-hard Extreme ads of the 90's. Better than some of the ones that shove in memes nowadays.
You say that, but ads in the 90's also gave us this:

Don't know who had the bright idea to advertise Earthbound as "the first RPG with BO".

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
I'm pretty confident that Rex & Pyra will be one of the DLC fighters.
i'm going to cling on this notion unless the ARMS fighter isn't a pre-existing debut in the game.
still having a good blast with XB2, just around the corner to beat that one final boss.

Rex's Mii Costume kinda implied that he wouldn't be part of the first Fighter's Pass.
I think we're eventually going to get most of characters that were confirmed scrapped in the past.
Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, Heihachi, Takamaru, Tetra, and Rex.
i don't think a compliment or an answer to a" what-if" question over Mach Rider's helmet is being scrapped or serious consideration for Super Smash Brothers...

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I'm pretty confident that Rex & Pyra will be one of the DLC fighters.
Yeah, I suspect they will be FP7. Sakurai did state that the reason why ARMS and Xenoblade 2 didn't have any reps was due to them releasing while Ultimate was midway through development, so him adding them to the beginning of season 2 does make sense.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
...You mean Toon Sheik. Tetra was never once confirmed. People tried to make it sound like it was her because "lol, I can't believe an OC is playable". If he meant Tetra as the file name, he would've said so. Also, Toon Link is literally a name created for Smash too. Giga Bowser is also a Smash OC. It's not hard to believe his first thought was clones of Zelda and Sheik specifically.

Chorus Kids weren't literally confirmed either, to clarify. We only know it's a RH character, and it's Gematsu that leads us to believe it's specifically Chorus Kids. Also, you are mistaking scrapped for "considered but discarded". Toon Sheik, Dixie Kong, and Toon Zelda are the only ones who had any data other than Chrom and what appears to be pieces of a Rhythm Heaven character.

Though as noted above, technically Plusle & Minun, but Pra_Mai isn't as blatant as the other Forbidden 6 characters, who are straight out clarified by name. We also don't know if any literal work beyond a file name was done for the characters who weren't playable in Smash but Dixie.

Overall, among everything, we can literally confirm Dixie Kong is scrapped. The rest is far more questionable, but being in the data, you could call some of them scrapped too; Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, a Rhythm Heaven character(most likely Chorus Kids), someone who means Pra_Mai(likely Plusle & Minun. This would fit too, being replacements for Pichu as is, due to as similar bodyshape. Toon Link did use Young Link's model to help create him, and they share the same role. It's implied Toon Link replaced Young Link in Brawl too).
honest opinion: if it was Chorus Kids, i personally think they're not going to go back on them at any point they bother to resurrect the pitch.
not only they kinda lost their mascot status in RH Fever but there's also a huge following and interest of fans looking forward for Karate Joe as well.

compare that to Chorus Kids who's following and interest was only ignited and marked due to debatable rumors.
both would achieve that priority of a character to bring a fun moveset and new gameplay mechanics, but they might go after whoever bring in more appeal instead of the former and another mascot character.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Likewise, I don't believe anyone who says they've "never heard of Yakuza". It's a yearly franchise that is also a meme generating machine.

In both instances, those are either people who don't play games at all, or are basically doing a hyperbolic "Literal, WHO?!" with extra steps.
Oh, I didn't know I didn't play games at all. Thanks for the update.

But that does leave the question as to what Skyrim can be considered if it's not a game...

So, let me look this series up...
...yep, exclusive to consoles I don't own from inception until five years ago, very heavily focused toward a Japanese audience, and not played by any of my friends, so I've had no exposure to it. And I don't live on social media, so a lot of memes go over my head.

I get it - I know I'm not as well-versed in games as most people here. But "I haven't heard of this" is not "OMG LITERALLY NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT THIS WEEB **** LOSER!!!!!!11!" It's really just "I haven't been introduced to this." Some of us do go and look things up. And that doesn't always make us want to go play it afterwards. But sometimes it does. Want to ensure we don't want to look into it? Give us an ad hominem reason to avoid it by making us think that all of the fans are elitist ***holes.

I like all of this gatekeeping we do to make sure that only the people who follow multiple games and their genres are eligible to like characters, whereas the rest of us are just brainless yokels. I don't expect everyone here to know who Nibani Maesa is, despite Morrowind being incredibly groundbreaking for its time. I don't expect that most people know the words to "The Dawn Will Come," despite DA: Inquisition winning GOTY at the game awards in 2014 (unlike some Smash characters which only got nominated for that but didn't win). I don't expect that people know who wields Albion in the Soul Calibur series, even though Amy just got added in as DLC over other characters. But that doesn't mean I think people have no right to an opinion.

And if someone doesn't know one of the series I like, I'd be happy to tell you what I like about it, and not shame you for not finding out yourself.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
honest opinion: if it was Chorus Kids, i personally think they're not going to go back on them at any point they bother to resurrect the pitch.
not only they kinda lost their mascot status in RH Fever but there's also a huge following and interest of fans looking forward for Karate Joe as well.

compare that to Chorus Kids who's following and interest was only ignited and marked due to debatable rumors.
both would achieve that priority of a character to bring a fun moveset and new gameplay mechanics, but they might go after whoever bring in more appeal instead of the former and another mascot character.
Yeah, I get ya. I have a feeling Sakurai was just thinking on the series in general, and didn't have a clear character in mind.

It could be them. Though I don't see much of a reason to use someone else just because they aren't the mascot anymore. He probably had an intention of the 3 character factor moreso than Rhythm gameplay alone. Could go either way.

Either character(Chorus Kids or Karate Joe) could make for a fun unique moveset, mind you.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The best Rhythm Heaven representative is all of them Game & Watch style. You cannot convince me otherwise.

So, let me look this series up...
...yep, exclusive to consoles I don't own from inception until five years ago, very heavily focused toward a Japanese audience, and not played by any of my friends, so I've had no exposure to it. And I don't live on social media, so a lot of memes go over my head.
Still kinda weird since they were in Nintendo Directs, though it was a port and two discount Minecraft games, so I could see you completely forgetting about them assuming you saw them. lol

EDIT: Debating on whether or not I should remove this part. It's a pretty nothing statement that sounds kind of antagonistic.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Don’t Koei and Capcom hate each other’s guts tho? More so the former to the latter, idk where I read it but KT won’t come within 100 feet of a Capcom project, I forget why

and Capcom has like, three characters in Smash. KT has an Assist Trophy, Yuri Kozukata from Fatal Frame (they co-own the IP with Nintendo) and it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s the only content they allowed (and the Fatal Frame spirits)
Itagaki left Koei so you dont have to worry about petty grudges anymore.

Itagaki has consistently given harsh opinions on Namco's Tekken games, mainly due to his grudge against the company for its insulting radio commercial on his Dead or Alive game. He has stated he never forgets an insult to his family, and will retaliate with "nuclear missiles more than 100 times for that".[3] This along with what he views as Tekken's stagnation in the fighting game genre (starting from Tekken 4), led him to condemn the Tekken series, placing it as his top five hated games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom