• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
When do you guys think we'll get our next reveal? I'm predicting somewhere during maybe August-September. Still a long way to go.
September Direct reveal for 4, VGA reveal for 5.

And then a late-November/early-December release for 4 and a early-mid February release for 5.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Not especially enthusiastic about Crash. I like it when Smash characters come from games that are, ya know...good.
TBF there are more good Crash games than Banjo games period. But they also had one of the best game devs in the world working on them.

We won't talk about Crash in the 2000s...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
TBF there are more good Crash games than Banjo games period. But they also had one of the best game devs in the world working on them.

We won't talk about Crash in the 2000s...
Twinsanity was awesome IDK what you're talking about. And for what it's worth, I thought Wrath of Cortex was okay even if the loading times were hell.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now time for another terrible hot take on my part

We aren't getting a second fighter's pass, at least initially. BUT, in return, several fighters that were too early to be added for SmUsh or otherwise not in the game (for a total of five) will be new base roster additions, and five more as DLC, if/once they rerelease a DX version of SmUsh (perhaps for a next console launch title or a collector's edition for Switch, idk), to complete those datamined fighter slots.

Assuming deconfirmations in base game do not apply, I say Rex is basically a lock for this new hypothetical game.

who else would be a realistic lock if SmUsh new roster started development today?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I'd really have to wonder if they'd want to agree to all those copyrights again just to rerelease Ultimate on the next system...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don’t think they’ll make a collector’s edition with bonus content this late (screwing over early adopters) and they won’t plan the new Smash until near the tail end of the Switch’s life cycle which tbh is still a ways off.

Way I see it, Hero (a Japanese fave) and Banjo (a Western fave) were the insurance needed to make sure the fighter’s pass sells like hotcakes, and the sales numbers will be the push to include future passes and/or more standalone DLC characters without stages or music

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Let's discuss characters who you think are likely, very likely, or near-locks for the next game, or future DLC, but you don't see coming in right now. Be specific: not just "every spirit", or "every first party", somebody with actual gripping evidence.

Personally? Once we hit new territory, I'm going to say this: Shovel Knight would probably go back to being the second-likeliest indie for the next game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Let's discuss characters who you think are likely, very likely, or near-locks for the next game, or future DLC, but you don't see coming in right now. Be specific: not just "every spirit", or "every first party", somebody with actual gripping evidence.

Personally? Once we hit new territory, I'm going to say this: Shovel Knight would probably go back to being the second-likeliest indie for the next game.
Potential Season 2: Neku Sakuraba (third Square Enix Rep), Shantae, Rayman, Tales Of character OR KOS-MOS, depending on which of the two is in the first pass; MAYBE a rhythm heaven character
Individual DLC: Bandana Dee, Kasumi Yoshizawa aka Jane/whatever her actual Phantom Thief name is
Next game: Rex, Spring Man, Astral Chain character

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

Whose the first? Cause Steve apparently doesn't count?

I'd ask, what new first party franchises could be seen as viable at this time?

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Next game predictions as of this second, providing it's a normal Smash game with focus on newcomers:
Springman, Waluigi, Astral Chain lead providing it doesn't flop, Pauline or Captain Toad with Toadette echo, Crash Bandicoot if he isn't DLC this time, Octolings, Tom Nook, Rex, Byleth, Dixie Kong, Bandana Waddle Dee, a random Pokémon from the gen after Sword and Shield and a few random third parties.

Absolutely no new Zelda though.

As a prediction it's pretty unadventurous but honestly I'd be satisfied with it.

(Who am I kidding, Toad ain't ever getting in)

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

If there's gonna be another fighters pass, I imagine it'll mostly be franchises already represented to cut down on time spent developing stages. For this hypothetical "no new franchises" pack, I'm gonna go with Elma, Bandana Dee, one of the Sword & Shield starters, Tails, and a second Final Fantasy character, whether it be Sephiroth or another protagonist such as Terra or Tidus. I feel like that'd be the best balance between 1st and 3rd party and it'd guarantee that the second pass would be cheaper to develop than the first, since all they'd need is a character and maybe a handful of tracks.

As for a new game, I think all the above first parties would have a pretty solid chance, along with some of the more requested assist characters such as Waluigi. Rex and the Astral Chain protagonist would also have a pretty good chance for the next game. Crash and Ryu Hayabusa would probably be the 3rd party picks for the base game. Honestly it's gonna be interesting to see what the next game's roster is gonna look like, since it's almost guaranteed that another Ultimate situation is never going to happen again.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
So since we seem to be on the next game or future DLC packs; if you could chose any 5 assist trophies to upgrade to playable, who would you pick?

My picks:
Isaac
Krystal
Midna
Saki Amamiya
Sable Prince/Takamaru (Sakurai obviously has affection for both and I miss getting a WTF retro rep)

(I decided against picking any third party characters)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So since we seem to be on the next game or future DLC packs; if you could chose any 5 assist trophies to upgrade to playable, who would you pick?

My picks:
Isaac
Krystal
Midna
Saki Amamiya
Sable Prince/Takamaru (Sakurai obviously has affection for both and I miss getting a WTF retro rep)

Waluigi
Starfy
Tiki
Vince
Alucard

Honorable mentions go to Shovel Knight, Samurai Goroh, and Dillon.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

My picks:
Isaac
Krystal
Midna
Saki Amamiya

Alucard number one for sure! My favorite Belmont is already playable (Richter) so next is one of my other favorite characters. Of course I would also accept Soma or Shanoa but Alucard is right there.

After that I'd say Midna with Wolf Link, Saki (I have a lot of fondness for Sin & Punishment), Sable Prince because he's cute and would have a fun transforming mechanic, and Isaac for a friend. Honorable mention being Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
So since we seem to be on the next game or future DLC packs; if you could choose any 5 assist trophies to upgrade to playable, who would you pick?

My picks:
Isaac
Krystal
Midna
Saki Amamiya

AT Picks:
Lyndis
Tiki
Shadow
Shovel Knight
Alucard

Goofy Pick: Rathalos.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Assist Trophies?

Waluigi
Shovel Knight
Lyn
Alucard
Isaac

I'd like to see Zero too, but not without X.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

My picks:
Isaac
Krystal
Midna
Saki Amamiya

A no-brainer:

Waluigi
Ashley
Lyn
Bomberman
Skull Kid

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

My picks:
Isaac
Krystal
Midna
Saki Amamiya

1. Bomberman
  2. Isaac
  3. Krystal/Midna
  4. Waluigi
  5. Spring Man
Bonus: Shadow, though unlike those five he would be an Echo instead of a full fighter.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Have you played Ice Climber?
We passed that barrier a while ago.
I never got the hate that Ice Climber gets. Is it because of the weird jump arc? I always thought it was hella fun.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now time for another terrible hot take on my part

We aren't getting a second fighter's pass, at least initially. BUT, in return, several fighters that were too early to be added for SmUsh or otherwise not in the game (for a total of five) will be new base roster additions, and five more as DLC, if/once they rerelease a DX version of SmUsh (perhaps for a next console launch title or a collector's edition for Switch, idk), to complete those datamined fighter slots.

Assuming deconfirmations in base game do not apply, I say Rex is basically a lock for this new hypothetical game.

who else would be a realistic lock if SmUsh new roster started development today?
Heh, Smush.

I don't think this would happen. It's kind of a **** move to release a Deluxe version of a game with just 5 new characters and double that amount for DLC. There's a reason you don't see DLC for these kinds of games.

Waluigi, Isaac, Bomberman, Ashley due to the fan demand. Also Dee and Dixie. And Shadow.

Spring Man and Rex would be very well off, unless a new Xenoblade without him comes out in the interim.

I feel tempted to say Toad but really who knows at this point it's been 5 Smash games without the most obvious character.

Astral Chain, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Sword and Shield are big question marks. At this point it would appear that Pokemon will get a newcomer from the latest gen, but whether it will be 8 or another one is the dealbreaker. Three Houses depends on whether Byleth isn't a Marth and isn't a terrible character, and also on whether FE gets cuts and how many (and if they don't change their strategy and do an old character instead). Astral Chain basically depends on how well received it is and how liked the protag is - and I think Joker being cut helps.

As for third parties, assuming they stay
Bomberman or Alucard for Konami (maybe Trevor as a semi clone?)
A second Sonic character (Shadow, probably) and maybe Jeanne.
Heihachi or Lloyd (unless one joins as DLC, I can see Bamco being humble and staying at two for a while)
Capcom: Chun-Li, M. Bison or Akuma, X/Zero/Wily, Leon/Jill (or both in a Simon/Richter situation), Phoenix Wright.
Square Enix: Sora, Lara Croft, Geno
Microsoft: Master Chief
But I don't think any of these are locks

I'd also expect a retro rep, leaning on Lip, Takamaru or Mach Rider.

My picks:
Isaac
Krystal
Midna
Saki Amamiya

Isaac
Waluigi
Midna
Lyn
Takamaru

This was really tough to pick, shout out to my Bros Saki and Ray and my girl Krystal. And really to all ATs that aren't, like, Thwomp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I guess I’m one of the few people who would include Yuri Kozukata in an AT promotion pack...

I just really love Fatal Frame ok

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Considering how Sakurai has praised Xenoblade 2 and essentially said "sorry he isn't playable in the base game" during his mii costume showcase in the November Smash Direct, I think Rex is almost guaranteed for the next season/game.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

My picks:
Isaac
Krystal
Midna
Saki Amamiya

Hmmm that's kinda a tricky one since I don't feel that strongly towards most of the assist trophies becoming playable, but if I had to pick, I'd say Alucard, Knuckles, Waluigi, Midna, and Isaac. Alucard and Knuckles are the only ones I really want because they're my favorites of their series, and the rest are just there because they might be cool and I know they'd make a lot of people happy.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice

My picks:
Isaac
Krystal
Midna
Saki Amamiya

Isaac
Alucard
Saki
Sukapon
Takamaru

I just feel bad for Takamaru. Guy got shafted in Melee for the Icies for being too obscure (because the icies were popular) and then again in 4 for the same reason (minus the Ice Climbers).

Alucard too but I don't think anyone would be against Alucard's inclusion as a fighter

SirCamp

Smash Ace
The lack of Bomberman and Isaac on some o these AT upgrade lists saddens me.

I would personally choose:

1. Isaac
2. Bomberman
3. Ashley
4. Springman
5. Waluigi or Skull Kid

I don't actually care for either of the last two that much, but I do really want a new Zelda character (just I prefer other picks to Skull Kid) and Waluigi would be fitting.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Aw man, how could I forget about Knuckles? That's my boy! I'd love for Knuckles to be playable.

And semi-related, I know it's probably impossible now but I want Eggman as a future addition or DLC. He'd be so fun.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well the speculation scene is at a healthy neutral again. How do I know? I started getting likes on posts in character threads I made ages ago.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Krystal
Dillon
Mother Brain (brain in a jar in a mech idea ala Porky always seemed neat to me)
Bomberman (Alucard gets honorary mention, but we'd get new music/a stage)
Tingle

Saki/Shovel Knight/Ray MK III/Sukapon/Barbara get my other honorary mentions.

If I was still a mod I'd edit Isaac onto all of your lists.
I guarantee I'd edit him back out.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
When do you guys think we'll get our next reveal? I'm predicting somewhere during maybe August-September. Still a long way to go.
August: There are two events taking place during that month which is the EVO Championships (where Smash Ultimate is one of the games headlining the tournament) and Gamescom. I imagine that there will be a couple of fighting game announcements at EVO, although it is hard to tell whether there will be any Smash related news held there.

Other than that, I do feel that September might the most likely month for the next reveal.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I'mma be honest, if we get a second Sonic rep or Jeanne I'd be absolutely devastated. At that point, the door's open and Tails/Eggman/Knuckles/Shadow/arguably Amy would HAVE to get in before Arle, lest people get extremely angry that she's not Tails/Eggman/Knuckles/Shadow/Amy (there's many reasons I want Arle in, chief among them being exposure to Puyo, but what good'll that do if people associate her/the series as the one that should've been a second Sonic character?). Jeanne opens up the same door but that's only if she's not an Echo.

I know I was pretty pissy about Joker, but at least he was a new series. And I got the pass anyway, in the vain hope of a second one even though I don't believe in it.

Though if we got Arle first, I would be able to back them fully and love them again. Though at that point, given it isn't General Custer I'd be down for literally everything so.

As for the five Assists I'd make into Fighters...

1. Waluigi, enough said. 2. Isaac, for the Smash fandom enough said, and for general audiences to spark a renewed interest in Golden Sun. 3. Shovel Knight, regardless of if he gets to be the first Indie in Smash or Frisk/Sans snipes him to it. 4. Bomberman, mostly because he seems like the best pick for a third Konami series given Goemon is dead and Frogger... well, if I had my way, Frogger would've been the loose Assist. Though maybe there's something I'm not seeing. 5. Skull Kid, mostly to appease Zelda fans, and since Skull Kid has greater presence than Midna I choose him.

Next reveal is IMO probably going to be not in this year. I'm expecting a Final Smash Direct in January 2020 that reveals Characters 4 & 5, after September (:ulthero:) and December (:ultbanjokazooie:). Soonest I can see Character 4 is November, unless Banjo releases as soon as autumn starts which I just don't see.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

My picks:
Isaac
Krystal
Midna
Saki Amamiya

AT upgrades?

Bomberman
Isaac
Waluigi
Lyn
Springman

I feel are most deserving. Isaac and Lyn purely for their lasting fanbases. Waluigi because I like Waluigi, Bomberman looks just hella fun, and Springman for a new series that warrants. Dillon nearly made it for the same reasons, and Krystal would have for the same reasons as Isaac and Lyn.

Same question but tweaked;

Upgrade five Pokeballs to playable. Who do you pick?

My picks:
Meowth
Eevee
Scizor
Gardevoir
annnd...Abra. Because it's my favourite Pokemon and I'm bias. Teleport spam combos thank you very much.

SKX31

Smash Master
I just feel bad for Takamaru. Guy got shafted in Melee for the Icies for being too obscure (because the icies were popular) and then again in 4 for the same reason (minus the Ice Climbers).

Sakurai's always included some experimental characters*, and the Iceis were probably chosen because of the "Two-Fighters-In-One!" trait. The strangest thing for me about Icies is that they always have grab shenaningas, no matter what so far (Wobbling in Melee, Chainthrowing in Brawl, Cheer cancels / other desyncs in Ultimate).

As for AT-to-playable wishlist (I'm gonna come up with potential replacement ATs):

Waluigi (Giving the tennis raquet to Chain chomp and giving his AT slot to Phantom Ganon)
Knuckles, bonus points if he's upgraded alongside Dante's reveal (His AT slot goes to Segata Sanshiro. If he isn't allowed, replaced by Ristar)
Midna (Replaced by Bonkers)
Sukapon (Replaced by Michael Wilson / Metal Wolf. You know, Metal Wolf Chaos. Because we need "Suck on my missile punch!")
Krystal or Lyn (Replaced by Caeda)

* Characters I would count as experimental include:

64: :jigglypuff64: (frame one Death-or-glory attack in Rest, very air oriented, dies instantly if shield's broken), :ness64: (Unusual Up-B, only one in the game with a native Heal)
Melee: :icsmelee:, :zeldamelee:/:sheikmelee: (their different approaches to "Two-Fighters-In-One!"), :peachmelee: (RNG projectile, one of the first direct Counters)
Brawl: :lucario: (Early Rage mechanic), :pt: (Three characters! Stamina mechanic and type weaknesses no one likes and will be removed in the Trainer's next appearance!), :olimar: (Pikmin-as-minions, most of his attacks are thus unusual disjoints)
4: :4shulk:(Stat changes via Monado Arts), :4littlemac:(Extremely ground oriented, super armor on Smash attacks), :rosalina:(Minion who's respawns and can be indirectly controlled), :4cloud:(Power-upped specials in the form of Limit)
Ultimate: :ultinkling: (Ink functioning as fuel and damage amp), :ultjoker:(Power-up that affects his entire moveset in the form of Arsene):ulthero: (Menu system)

andree123

Smash Ace
Shadow - Basically easy to make him as a fighter.
Isaac - Fanservice.
Waluigi - Sakurai knows about the fans wanting a playable Waluigi, so.
Alucard - Planned but cut, Sakurai could bring his intended playable role.
Spring man - Same as Alucard.

This is what I think they are the most likely candidates to be fighters.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
AT upgrades:
1. Waluigi
2. Bomberman
3. Shadow
4. Dillon
5. Spring Man

With regards to a hypothetical Smash Ultimate Deluxe down the road, I'm 110% for that since the roster and stage list among other things is highly unlikely to ever get better than this. Though if it happens I do think it should be a few years away at the least as to not disregard early adapters.

I honestly believe it's a win win for everyone since no one loses their favorite character and Sakurai has a much easier development process only having to add content on to an already complete game rather then straight up making Smash 6.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Here's my most likely AT upgrades:
1. Spring Man
2. Issac
3. Waluigi
4. Takamaru
5. Shadow (assuming echoes return)
Honourable mention to Bomberman, who seems to be the next logical choice for a Konami rep even though Shiori Fujisaki would be much more fun.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Do we have any ideas on who's coming to the Fighters' Pass excluding hypothesizes such as Mii Costume Theory and Google Theory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom