• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
He's not, but everyone insists that he'll be the main villain of Metroid Prime 4 because of a couple dumb teases.
No, everyone insists he'll be the villain of Prime because Tanabe is obsessed with Sylux when everyone likes Weevil better

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Don't really have much to say about who I'd want in a first-party fighters pass, only because all the characters I'd care about the most at this point are still third-parties. Ditto Assist Trophies; I'm just not fond of the idea that we get ATs promoted to playable within the same game, and feel like if we do get those promotions, they could work out something when Smash 6 happens.

Gun to my head though if I had to give one answer for each:
  • Assist Trophy I wanted to be promoted the most: Alucard
  • First-party fighter: Rex and Pyra

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Assist trophies I'd promote, in order:
Skull Kid
Zero
Ghirahim
Shadow
Isaac

First Party reps in order:
Fawful
Lora
Grovyle
Rundas
Porky

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
First-party Fighter's pass you say?
I really should just make this my banner at this point.
1561547960404.png

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I personally would much prefer the last 2 newcomers to be first party. But the way it’s been going, it looks unlikely. Anyways, here are some first party newcomers I’d like to see/think are likely, be it as DLC for this game or newcomers for the next game.

1. Porky. Probably just the EarthBound fan in me, but this would be my above all dream pick. There’s some “evidence” it could happen seeing as he doesn’t have a Spirit yet (he’s the only Smash Bros. Boss without one), but I know it’s still unlikely. Regardless, someone made up this awesome moveset, and I think it would be really great in Smash. He’s the last true villain from the series that are represented in Smash 64 (minus F-Zero, which I don’t know much about so I don’t know who the villains are besides Black Shadow) and I’d love to see it happen. https://m.imgur.com/a/yRRMP6t

The rest are in no particular order (just the order I remembered them in my head).

2. Dixie Kong. With K. Rool in, the last prominent DK rep is Dixie. Could borrow some things from Diddy, but would have a mostly unique moveset that implements her hair as an up special and possibly a few other attacks.

3. Rex and Pyra/Mythra. Sakurai is already a fan of the Xenoblade series, and I personally don’t think Mii costumes deconfirm characters. Don’t know much about Xenoblade but I’m sure Sakurai could create something unique so the character doesn’t have a similar moveset to Shulk. Only downside to this is that it’s another sword character.

4. Bandana Dee. The not-as-important, important, 4th Kirby party member. We have the core 3, but if we get another, Bandana Dee I think would be next in line. A unique spear user who could bring an interesting moveset to the game.

5. A Pokemon Sword and Shield Rep OR FE: Three Houses Rep. Basically would be put in to get hype for the next game in the series/further the hype for the game. No idea how they would work yet. Downside is we get another character from a series that already has a pretty good amount of representation.

6. An ARMS character. Spring Man is already an AT, so that eliminates him I’d think (same reason Waluigi isn’t on this list, though I suppose both could get an upgrade in a future game). But that’s OK, I feel Spring Man would be a bit generic. But it still leaves the door open for others. Helix, Mechanica, Kid Cobra, Byte & Barq, or any of the others (including the ones that already have Spirits, but I’d give them a lower chance). I guess they would kinda function like a longer ranged Little Mac? But I’m sure Sakurai could incorporate a few new ideas to keep the character fresh.

7. Krystal. AT upgrade, could bring an interesting moveset. Not a big Star Fox guy, but I assume her staff freezes people in those games too? Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. That mechanic plus using the staff as is for attacks could make for a unique moveset.

8. Sylux. Again, don’t know much about him, but he’s apparently missing from the game entirely as of now, which I do find odd, whether he’s the main antagonist in MP4 or not.

Last mention goes to a character I’d like to see as an Echo Fighter, and that would be...

9. Octoling. I mean, it’s a pretty easy Echo I’d think to put over Inkling. And from what I saw, there were a lot of people who enjoyed the Octolings once they were playable in Splatoon 2. Don’t know that it’ll happen since they’re avoiding Echo Fighters for this pass, but maybe after the pass along with 1-2 other Echoes? I dunno.

Again, really hope the last 2 are first party, however unlikely it may be. But even if they’re not, these would be my candidates for a first party Fighters Pass or first party newcomers for the next game.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Style Savvy Rep really is my most-wanted first party. Genuinely one of the most unique possible newcomers in terms of moves, music, aesthetic, even stage. The style alone would be worth it.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I think the next two DLC fighters are probably gonna be third parties. But let's say we end up getting two first party DLC fighters instead. What would you guys pick? My choices would be...

Impa - more Zelda rep
Bandanna Dee - we need a ****ing spear user
My two choices would be Waluigi and Bandanna Dee. Completes the mario/wario brothers and the kirbeatles as someone else put it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If I had to pick, I'd like ARMS and Xenoblade getting playable characters.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Hey, does anyone else think Travis Touchdown is underrated in the DLC speculation scene?

Every game in the NMH series has at least started out as a Nintendo exclusive. NMH3 just got announced, and that’s exclusive to Switch. The series has never been hugely popular, but adding Travis would be a big marketing opportunity for the upcoming game, as well as appealing to it’s existing fans. AND it’d be easy to get the rights because Suda51 and Sakurai are (apparently) friends and Suda already expressed interest in adding Travis to Smash.
I’m not saying he’s a lock or anything close to that, but he makes a lot of sense to me.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Hey, does anyone else think Travis Touchdown is underrated in the DLC speculation scene?

Every game in the NMH series has at least started out as a Nintendo exclusive. NMH3 just got announced, and that’s exclusive to Switch. The series has never been hugely popular, but adding Travis would be a big marketing opportunity for the upcoming game, as well as appealing to it’s existing fans. AND it’d be easy to get the rights because Suda51 and Sakurai are (apparently) friends and Suda already expressed interest in adding Travis to Smash.
I’m not saying he’s a lock or anything close to that, but he makes a lot of sense to me.
Travis was outright deconfirmed. Sorry.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Can you share the source? Sorry, I hadn’t heard anything.
I don't know, but usually when a company says that they want someone in Smash, then that typically means that the relevant character is not in because such a comment would breach their NDA.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't know, but usually when a company says that they want someone in Smash, then that typically means that the relevant character is not in because such a comment would breach their NDA.
What about when that one guy at Koei Tecmo said if they got a character it wouldn’t be Ryu Hayabusa? Would you consider something like that a deconfirmation too? Cause I do

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It might, but when do you hear that?
I can’t find a solid source right now but I do know the Koei PR representative said something along those words

It was probably in a stream or something

D

Deleted member

What about when that one guy at Koei Tecmo said if they got a character it wouldn’t be Ryu Hayabusa? Would you consider something like that a deconfirmation too? Cause I do
I can’t find a solid source right now but I do know the Koei PR representative said something along those words

It was probably in a stream or something
I'd really like to see sources to this since it's rather conflicting to me. On 1 hand, you could easily make the argument that something like that wouldn't break NDA because it's not the guy outright saying he's in Smash or maybe the PR guy might have no real involvement with Smash at all, but on the other hand, when has there ever been a case of someone saying something like that and it actually happening during development? I'm still hoping for Ryu Hayabusa to be in Smash though and that this thing isn't really something to worry about, which is kinda funny to think about since even Koei-Tecmo's PR guy would probably want to see Hayabusa in Smash.

That isn't to say Koei-Tecmo would be completely out of the picture however. For all we know, Dynasty Warriors or Samurai Warriors are the biggest sleeper franchises that could still make it to Smash, even if almost every character are based off of their real life counterparts.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's confusing as to what is allowed under an NDA.

Sometimes the company will ignore every question regarding Smash, as Way Forward did before Shantae was confirmed to be a Spirit. However, some companies will reply without confirming nor denying, and of course Grant Kirkhope was well aware Banjo and Kazooie were in Smash during some of the time when he was acting negative about their possible inclusion.

Of course if the head of a game's development or a company just gives a solid no, it's probably best to take it as a disconfirmation, even if it's possible the character shows up later. If a character seems disconfirmed, though, fans shouldn't give up; it's clear Sakurai and Nintendo are well aware of fans' wishes, as Sakurai said there were requests for B-K even after Ridley and K. Rool edit: apparently this was taken out of context, although I think I remember some person from Nintendo if not Nintendo themselves saying something about knowing the characters people want, seeing stuff people say...plus Sakurai is probably aware anyway due to relayed information, twitter, and whatever else. Fans may doom their characters' chances if they give up.

Last edited:

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Can you share the source? Sorry, I hadn’t heard anything.
A livestream in December for Travis Strikes Again had Suda directly address the chat who kept on asking if Travis was going to be in Smash with "no". That said, we'd be going into the weird ground of how NDAs work like the above example with Hayabusa. I personally don't look at these as clues or major hints because there's no way Nintendo is going to let a third party so blatantly hint at their character getting into Smash, so nobody really knows where we're still headed DLC-wise.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The Travis Touchdown thing was stated by Suda himself.

The Ryu Hayabusa thing was (a) not actually a disconfirmation, as they were talking about who they would want to see in Smash, and (b) not an interview with the creator of Ninja Gaiden, or the reboot, or even Dead or Alive, just a producer for DoA6. It was nothing.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of weird disconfirmations, wasn't there that Minecraft Developer that said they though Steve was a terrible idea for Smash as he had no character, ignoring the fact that Sakurai made the Animal Crossing Villager work?

D

Deleted member

My first party picks would be Elma, Mach Rider, Captain Rainbow, Adeleine and Porky.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Speaking of weird disconfirmations, wasn't there that Minecraft Developer that said they though Steve was a terrible idea for Smash as he had no character, ignoring the fact that Sakurai made the Animal Crossing Villager work?
She wasn't a developer, she was head community manager or something, but not the only manager.

Plus, a Switch Edition developer actually liked the idea of Steve or a Creeper in Smash. No one else from Mojang or Microsoft have said anything about what they think regarding Steve or whoever in Smash.

I don't expect Steve unless there's a second Fighters Pass or another Smash title comes in the future, however.

What kinda bugs me about the person you're talking about, though, is that she seemed a bit trollish. She said she was aware of the whole B-K vs. Steve stuff before summer came, and she randomly tweeted "Minecraft Steve" not long before E3. Her original thoughts on Steve were also in a reply to direwolf20, who is known for always using a Steve skin and he seemed to like the idea of Steve in Smash, so that's kinda funny.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Probably for upgrades, only ones I like enough to see playable are Alucard and Springman (although I wouldn't mind if Nintendo went for Min-min or Twintelle in the case of ARMS). I wouldn't mind any other characters that are currently assists but I dont care much about them to see them playable.

As for first party, probably a character from ARMS, Xenoblade (if possible both Elma and Rex) and thats about it. For the rest of first party series, I like a lot of the first party franchises so I don't mind any newcomers from them. But like I said in another thread, in the cases of Zelda or Kirby I just find it difficult to pick a singular character above the others as I dont see a particular standout choice apart from Dixie and maybe a charactet that I like from a particular game like Henry Flemming from Codename S.T.E.A.M.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Adeleine could honestly be hype regarding her moveset.

She's an artist who brings her creations to life after all.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
New famitsu column dropped. I didn't know that Dragon Quest 8 was the most popular game in the series over here in the west. Interesting.
It was the first Dragon Quest game to actually go under the name "Dragon Quest" in the west. Every other game in the series until then was "Dragon Warrior" due to what I assume was some kind of licensing issue. That's just one of the many weird branding issues that plagued DQ in the west.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
https://nintendoeverything.com/banjo-kazooie-hero-smash-bros-masahiro-sakurai/

Very interesting stuff. The focus on popular requests really shows that everyone involved is listening. I of course hope that this means good things for Phoenix, but this is overall simply fascinating. I also love this quote:

These are my own thoughts, but things like fighting over the differences between consoles and systems don’t really matter – it’s not worth worrying about. If a game is good, I’m going to respect it no matter what system it’s released for.
Love this philosophy. Also explains Joker, but we already knew that.

Dragon-Eater

Smash Rookie
I think I've worked it out.
There's a current rumour that the next character is a female character who can fly, the assumption is she is from a fighting game.
But I think the next character will be Valkyrie from The Legend of Valkyrie.
No me either but she's a Namco character she has a winged helmet and the most important thing in Smash she wields a sword and apparently her last appearance was in Smash 4 I'm guessing she was part of PAC-MAN taunt, I'm not entirely sure.

I'll admit I'm jumping to conclusions and I think incredibly unlikely because well I've never heard of her

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think I've worked it out.
There's a current rumour that the next character is a female character who can fly, the assumption is she is from a fighting game.
But I think the next character will be Valkyrie from The Legend of Valkyrie.
No me either but she's a Namco character she has a winged helmet and the most important thing in Smash she wields a sword and apparently her last appearance was in Smash 4 I'm guessing she was part of PAC-MAN taunt, I'm not entirely sure.

I'll admit I'm jumping to conclusions and I think incredibly unlikely because well I've never heard of her
I thought it was a character that had "a flying weapon."

In other words, a fake leak piggybacking off the Nakaruru leak.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
These are my own thoughts, but things like fighting over the differences between consoles and systems don’t really matter – it’s not worth worrying about. If a game is good, I’m going to respect it no matter what system it’s released for.
…I don't think I like this. Sure, it's his opinion and he's free to have it, but this is almost exactly what he said about Cloud, before rounding the DLC off. Are we seriously gonna have a retread of 2015? I feel I will not be able to respect that.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
…I don't think I like this. Sure, it's his opinion and he's free to have it, but this is almost exactly what he said about Cloud, before rounding the DLC off. Are we seriously gonna have a retread of 2015? I feel I will not be able to respect that.
A retread in what sense?

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I for one am glad we have confirmation that only good games can get into Smash.

Edit:
I’d say getting them to be able to be in the game was more difficult than any other fighter, though.
Obviously this could just mean "working with a rival console maker", but I do wonder if this confirms that western devs might be too difficult for Sakurai to work with and Banjo is the only difficult character we get.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
A retread in what sense?
Maybe that wasn't the right word. 2015 was a very stressful year for me, waiting for characters to be added to a game that I ended up not liking. I don't think Ultimate will end up that bad... but I may grow frustrated if the Fighters Pass ends up concluding the DLC at this point.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I for one am glad we have confirmation that only good games can get into Smash.
Or at least good 3rd party games will have characters. Maybe.

I don't think it confirms too much, just that he isn't that picky about system origins or stuff like that. If a game is good, who cares what system it came out on. If he thinks the character is worth including(sometimes due to fan requests), it shouldn't really matter what systems they were on in the first place. That's more or less the overall point, that it's not worth considering stuff like that over the merits of the character and what they and the franchise could bring.

StormC

Smash Hero
Maybe that wasn't the right word. 2015 was a very stressful year for me, waiting for characters to be added to a game that I ended up not liking. I don't think Ultimate will end up that bad... but I may grow frustrated if the Fighters Pass ends up concluding the DLC at this point.
As someone who went through a lot of up and downs for Smash 4 DLC speculation...just assume this is the only DLC for your own sanity. The focus on third parties for DLC doesn’t seem to be going away anytime soon.

For now I think Piranha Plant is the last Nintendo newcomer of Smash Ultimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom