• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Do we have any ideas on who's coming to the Fighters' Pass excluding hypothesizes such as Mii Costume Theory and Google Theory?
Nope, we're still completely in the dark in regards to the identity of the 4th and 5th fighters.
No datamines, legit leaks or anything so far other than some vague theories that may or may not mean anything in the end.
We're probably going to have to wait least a couple more months if anything. If not then probably whenever the next Direct is.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
If we got some AT upgrades I’d love to see

Skull Kid
Midna
Waluigi
Tiki
&
Shovel Knight

All move on up

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I think the next two DLC fighters are probably gonna be third parties. But let's say we end up getting two first party DLC fighters instead. What would you guys pick? My choices would be...

Impa - more Zelda rep
Bandanna Dee - we need a ****ing spear user

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Right now, we're basically in the phase where we have nothing to go off on other than random leaks (including a few from way back) that somehow managed to guess all 3 current DLC fighters so far. We can't make any strong claims otherwise unless a reputable insider/leaker says something to give us an idea, which is why people sorta latch on to theories right now, and those theories aren't going to be proven right or wrong until character releases.

Hero and Banjo are set for release within Summer (from now until September 23) and Fall (ending December 21) this year according to calendars, but given the healthy amount of footage we've seen thus far for both of them, it'd be reasonable to expect them sooner rather than later. Going off the DLC characters from Smash 4 where there was a month-long wait between initial gameplay reveal and their eventual release (Lucas, Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta), I'd say that Hero could drop around June, and Banjo around October; the Mii Costume theory could live or die with Hero depending on whether or not he's accompanied with either the Geno or Chocobo costumes, so that's worth keeping an eye out.

DLC 4 and 5 are either likely going to be announced on 3 key dates: a likely general Nintendo Direct in September (had one for the past few years now), a possible final Smash Direct (akin to what we got for Smash 4) or the VGAs (because of the stunt they pulled off with Joker before Ultimate's release).

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
So since we seem to be on the next game or future DLC packs; if you could chose any 5 assist trophies to upgrade to playable, who would you pick?

My picks:
Isaac
Krystal
Midna
Saki Amamiya
Sable Prince/Takamaru (Sakurai obviously has affection for both and I miss getting a WTF retro rep)

(I decided against picking any third party characters)
Isaac, Saki, Ray 001, Skull Kid/Midna, Krystal.

3 new franchises, 2 more characters for existing franchises that desperately need more rep variety like Metroid and DK got

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think the next two DLC fighters are probably gonna be third parties. But let's say we end up getting two first party DLC fighters instead. What would you guys pick? My choices would be...

Impa - more Zelda rep
Elma - because if Rex got screwed, we need the next best thing (with some Hiroyuki Sawano bangers to go with it)
Black Shadow - throw the F-Zero fans a bone (and maybe include more jams from GX)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My picks for Assist Trophy upgrades would be Bomberman, Isaac, Shadow, Zero, Shovel Knight, Chef Kawasaki, Ashley, Takamaru, Waluigi, Black Knight, Sukapon, Spring Man, Chain Chomp, Metroid, Mother Brain, nintendog, Starfy, Prince of Sablé, Dillon, Tiki, and Lyn. Most of these are due to notoriety, though some are just for the lulz.

Oh, you wanted a top 5?
5. Spring Man-A Dhalsim-esque character with a focus on picking the correct ARMS for the current situation. Ribbon Girl would also be added as an echo fighter (really the entire ARMS cast could be echo fighters).
4. Chain Chomp-A slow, but powerful character that attacks with two smaller Chain Chomps attatched to the big one's chain. If players deal enough knockback or attack the stake too much it will come loose, giving the Chain Chomp a big speed boost. Still a meme pick, but an interesting one nonetheless.
3. Waluigi-A highly requested character that would fight with sports equipment and Mario Kart/Party items and would break the rules in some wacky way.
2. Shadow-An easy echo for Sonic that could be given Witch Time in the form of Chaos Control. I want to see how hilariously OP this would feel.
1. Metroid-This one actually isn't a meme pick. It would be based off of it's appearance in Metroid: Samus Returns, and would start off a little weaker, but become a strong heavyweight fighter after evolving mid-battle. I think it would be cool, and see no reason not to involve the titular creature of the Metroid franchise.

D

Deleted member

Impa - more Zelda rep
4-Bandanna Dee. That way we can have the Kirbeatles (as in Kirby's Beatles) come together.
5-Dixie Kong. Please.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026

Impa - more Zelda rep
Lyndis - I will never stop asking for her.
Impa - Specifically Warriors Impa, cause she's cool.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Impa - more Zelda rep
If we're going with somewhat likely picks, then Impa and Elma. Otherwise, probably Dark Link and Hades as pipe dream picks.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Impa - more Zelda rep
Any combination of Isaac, Waluigi, Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
For AT Promotions

1. Ashley
2. Waluigi
3. Issac
4. Zelda Character (Preference to Midna)

These would probably make the most people happy. Not too sure on a 5th. (Prediction wise, If we do get AT promotions I see it only happening for 1st party characters. Renegotiating for 3rd parties doesn't seem like it would be something Nintendo would want to do)

D

Deleted member

Poor people are forgetting about Takamaru when it comes to AT upgrades. Remember when we talked about the possibility of a Retro Rep back in the pre-Smash 4 days and he was bought up all the time? and then people wanted him to be promoted? and then he just.........didn't?

KillerCage

Smash Master
Poor people are forgetting about Takamaru when it comes to AT upgrades. Remember when we talked about the possibility of a Retro Rep back in the pre-Smash 4 days and he was bought up all the time? and then people wanted him to be promoted? and then he just.........didn't?
Considering Sakurai's regrets towards Lucas and Roy, I don't think Takamaru will likely be upgraded to fighter status.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Impa - more Zelda rep
Captain Toad - Great twist on a classic character and I love the game a lot.
Elma - I love her so much and her kit would be amazing. Two swords, two guns, one big robot.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I think the next two DLC fighters are probably gonna be third parties. But let's say we end up getting two first party DLC fighters instead. What would you guys pick?
Paper Mario takes this easily for my first first party character, while for my second, I think I would take... Bandana Waddle Dee, simply so that modern Kirby gets love and attention.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Impa - more Zelda rep
Assuming AT's and Mii Costumes deconfirm (RIP Isaac)...

1. Andy (by far. above all my other wants)
2. Elma (I dig her niche)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Impa - more Zelda rep
I'd pick Henry Fleming and Edelgard (I'd go for Celica but with Hero taking the spell sword style she'll likely need to sit out).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
4-Bandanna Dee. That way we can have the Kirbeatles (as in Kirby's Beatles) come together.
I think they're called Beetley, which is a really dumb name. I guess it was to go with Buggzy (Who should have kept the name Sid Cada imo) but even then.

EDIT:
I'd pick Henry Fleming and Edelgard (I'd go for Celica but with Hero taking the spell sword style she'll likely need to sit out).
I think Celica would be a decent echo fighter for Robin. She could be faster, but lack the air smash attacks, and even have slightly different Special Moves since she uses different spells.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
Let's discuss characters who you think are likely, very likely, or near-locks for the next game, or future DLC, but you don't see coming in right now. Be specific: not just "every spirit", or "every first party", somebody with actual gripping evidence.

Personally? Once we hit new territory, I'm going to say this: Shovel Knight would probably go back to being the second-likeliest indie for the next game.
Spring Man/ARMS character: wouldn't be surprised if its Smash 6 first revealed newcomer ala Inkling for Ultimate

Gen 8/9 Pokemon: every smash game gets a current gen pokemon and the longer Smash 6 comes out the less likely a Sword & Shield pokemon gets in over a Gen 9 pokemon IMO

A pokemon rep is the only near-lock in Smash imo

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Impa - more Zelda rep
Pig Ganon, as a Zelda rep with a spear (well, trident) moveset.
Porky, because his absence is REALLY conspicuous.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

Impa - more Zelda rep
Elma - Haven't played Xenoblade X yet, but from what I've seen she looks like she'd be a lot of fun and have a completely different playstyle from Shulk
Style Savvy stylist - Yeah this one's a little weird, but that's kind of why I want it to happen. The concept is just really funny to me and I'd definitely pick her up if she got in. Also the games are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me as a huge fashion nerd, so I'd be down for it

And I just realized that both of these are female. I kinda hope at least one of the new DLC fighters is female because man the Smash Ultimate newcomer lineup could use a little more estrogen :\

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My picks for DLC from nintendo properties are:

Rhythm Choir: Numerous characters from the Rhythm Heaven series fighting together like Mr. Game & Watch. Their stage would be Rhythm Heaven, a basic platform that is effected by what song is playing (ex. The planes in Air Rally act as platforms.)

Team Elma: Elma is the main fighter while Cross and Lin are summoned through Soul Voices. Their stage would be Miran Holodeck, a stage that takes place in the six continents of Mira (including NLA) through the amazing technology of tangible holograms! The stage idea comes from the player customization area, and is a good way to show all of Mira without having to model in the entire planet.

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
We all know that the next DLC Fighters have to be the best of the best. After all, Joker, Hero and Banjo were hype incarnated.
So I think it's safe to assume the next characters are Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes 3 is coming, and Suda is a friend of Sakurai) and THE Terminator as the Bethesda rep. That's right.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I just want Impa and Dixie.

Give Zelda a much needed rep and give us the last big classic Nintendo character.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Louie and Porky

Porky is the only First Twelve major villian missing (assuming we count Yoshi as a mario game), as well as being very notable to smash bros history as a boss in SSE, on top of a unique playstyle.

Louie could use the beasts of PNF 404 and act as a villian role for a series that desperatly needs more representation in smash, as well as Pikmin 4 promotion (if that's ever gonna come out)

also both would be throwing a bone to EB/Pikmin fans, and Ultimate seems good on that front.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Kinda seems like the perfect opportunity to add the Sylux spirit, as per that RaySquad "leak". But he doesn't appear to be there. Hmm.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Kinda seems like the perfect opportunity to add the Sylux spirit, as per that RaySquad "leak". But he doesn't appear to be there. Hmm.
There doesn't seem to be any new spirits in that batch, so I don't think it matters.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I imagine Sylux will only get added when MP4 releases.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'd had ideas for multiple Fighter Pass Themes:
1. Nintendo Fighter's Pass with Rex & Pyra, Toad, Paper Mario, Impa, and Dixie Kong
2. 2nd Third Party Pass with Crash Bandicoot and Spyro (A 2-for-1 pack), Rayman, Heihachi, Geno, and Monster Hunter
3. An Assist Trophy Promotion Pass with Walugi, Spring Man, Shovel Knight, Isaac, and Krystal
4. An Echo Fighter's Pass with Shadow, Proto Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Zack Fair, and Coco Bandicoot

Edit: I also think we could get promotional fighters not tied to any Fighter's Passes such as an 8th Gen Pokémon (Sword and Shield), Sylux (Metroid Prime 4), and Master Chief (the supposedly leaked Master Chief Collection for Switch).

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Doesn't look like any new ones are being added. Also, Prime 4 was rebooted between the time that leak was mentioned and this event, so maybe Sylux was completely scrapped from what they wanted to do with it.

I wonder if thinking about characters is the wrong way to go thinking about what the remaining two fighters will be, and instead we should focus on moveset/move types. With Joker and Hero, I think we're less likely to get another sword user as DLC.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Impa - more Zelda rep
(Captain) Toad and Dixie Kong. I prefer both Impa and Dee to Dix ever so slightly, but Toad and Dixie are the two most famous Nintendo stars still not playable. They're all in my top five most wanted though.

Edit: I'm not that familiar with Metroid; is Sylux missing as a Spirit a big deal? Is he a really important character?

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
If I were allowed one extra fighter on my Nintendo Fighter's Pass, it would be Bandana Waddle Dee, but it was between him and Dixie. Dixie won.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Thought I'd tally up everyone's echo fighter upgrades:

1. Isaac
2. Waluigi
3. Midna
4. Bomberman / Springman
6. Krystal / Alucard / Skull Kid
9. Lyn
10. Saki / Shadow / Shovel Knight

And Takamaru came so close to getting there, but sadly once more didn't make the cut.

As for 1st party fighters pass picks, let's go;
Porky
Chorus Kids/Andy from Advance Wars

I honestly think most of my most wanteds now are from the GBA era which they kind of completely skipped over.

So heres a hypothetical, if Melee had come out in 2003/4 rather than 2001, how different do you think the roster would have been?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom