• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
I'm still wondering who are the last two fighters I mean who can top Banjo-Kazooie, so here is my guess for the next one. Klonoa he would fit perfectly in Smash with Pac-Man as a second rep for Namco.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well the year 2000 would be about when Crash was still riding the apex of his popularity. And Bomberman was probably never more intrinsically tied to Nintendo than after his 64 offerings. Funny how they both received recent revivals.

But it'd be similar to how Doom Slayer is now benefitting from the high of being in the gaming eye, whereas the decade preceding Doom 2016, things were much quieter for him. I mean I don't remember him being any sort of fixture for Smash speculation, though that landscape has changed considerably in recent years.

IIRC, Mega Man only really got big in the speculation scene after Sonic got in, with there being hope that he'd be the third one in Brawl.

Then from there it was Pac-Man, after Namco was board and then after Cloud no-one knew what to think, followed by a short period of Simon support after Snake came back.
Mega Man was the second most requested third-party on the (unreleased) Brawl poll, after Sonic, so he was still pretty big even before Sonic was added.

Doomguy is a safe bet imo, but the final character is a wild card IMO
Nobody is a safe bet.

Imagine if the final two are Doom Slayer and Crash.
That'd be great, but I don't know if I can buy a fighter pass where the majority of inclusions are western.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That'd be great, but I don't know if I can buy a fighter pass where the majority of inclusions are western.
I do think it is possible we will get another western fighter but more likely not it'll be only one left. I feel Crash and Doom Slayer have the best chances.

The other DLC fighter I expect alongside said western character is a Capcom rep most likely Resident Evil.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I do think it is possible we will get another western fighter but more likely not it'll be only one left. I feel Crash and Doom Slayer have the best chances.

The other DLC fighter I expect alongside said western character is a Capcom rep most likely Resident Evil.
Agreed.

I'm still wondering who are the last two fighters I mean who can top Banjo-Kazooie, so here is my guess for the next one. Klonoa he would fit perfectly in Smash with Pac-Man as a second rep for Namco.
Can't say I hold out much hope for any long-hibernating character not buoyed by a massive wave of 90s kids.

Plus Klonoa being able to top Banjo is way off the mark.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
* Marth and other FE characters not standing out in particular.
I mean, I wouldn't say that, given the context. At the time the poll was conducted, there were 209 playable Fire Emblem characters throughout the then-five-and-a-half games to pick from, and that's not even including the non-playable ones that were popular like Michalis and Arvis, so the fact that Marth himself got enough votes to place at 11th while all the other characters combined totaled quite a bit lower is definitely an achievement.

SKX31

Smash Master
I mean, I wouldn't say that, given the context. At the time the poll was conducted, there were 209 playable Fire Emblem characters throughout the then-five-and-a-half games to pick from, and that's not even including the non-playable ones that were popular like Michalis and Arvis, so the fact that Marth himself got enough votes to place at 11th while all the other characters combined totaled quite a bit lower is definitely an achievement.
That's a great point, didn't honestly know that FE already had that many characters. Guess that gave Sakurai / HAL the confidence to put Marth and Roy in. Still, it does remind me of Zelda's situation where she tied with Sheik. And how that could have lead to "hey, why not include both with a transform mechanic?".

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Especially since he (and the rest of the FE1 cast) have had little to no characterization at that point so his popularity just stems from his importance as a character and how good he was as a unit.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Especially since he (and the rest of the FE1 cast) have had little to no characterization at that point so his popularity just stems from his importance as a character and how good he was as a unit.
That's mostly true for FE1, but not really the case in FE3, which helped out quite a few of the original FE1 characters. Like even back then characters like Minerva, Navarre, and Caeda were popular from a character standpoint.

It also helps that, at the time, FE3 was by far the best selling game in the franchise, and is looked at in Japan similarly to how Super Metroid is internationally. :p Mystery of the Emblem is legit great and more people should find a way to play it.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
The next DLC fighter will be Chris Redfield as a Charizard clone. He'll use an actual flamethrower instead of breathing fire and he'll even get Rock Smash. It'd shut down the misconceptions that a Resi character would be too similar to Snake or Joker and it'd bring a return to the almighty Rock Smash, so it's a win-win for everybody :p

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd put Doomguy at 50% with a lot of ifs and buts

I have no idea how big Doom is in Japan. Is it a cornerstone of gaming or a trivia footnote?

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I'd put Doomguy at 50% with a lot of ifs and buts

I have no idea how big Doom is in Japan. Is it a cornerstone of gaming or a trivia footnote?
It exists. Not super popular, but it's released there.

I know Sakurai has apprecation for Carmack though

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It exists. Not super popular, but it's released there.

I know Sakurai has apprecation for Carmack though
Interesting. I'll up it to a tenuous 55%.

I wonder if you can run Doom on a Tamogotchi.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Interesting. I'll up it to a tenuous 55%.

I wonder if you can run Doom on a Tamogotchi.
Probably

More notable is Pete Hines teasing Bethesda content in Smash last year, and "a special Doom surprise for Nintendo fans" later this year

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Probably

More notable is Pete Hines teasing Bethesda content in Smash last year, and "a special Doom surprise for Nintendo fans" later this year
Intresting but I make it a point to not fully invest in developer hints between overreaching of speculation (See: Spider-Man 4 mess that's gone down) and the shenanigans of half of the namesake of Noob Saibot.

Definitely something a mate of mine would be happy to hear though.

D

Deleted member

I think i Doomguy got announced, he would be Japan's Hero.

As in, he's gonna be the most underwhelming newcomer in the eyes of japanese gamers, while Hero was excatly that for western gamers.

Now before western DQ fans lynch me, remember this also goes to japanese Doom Fans. Im sure they are arguing how popular Doom is in the west right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Intresting but I make it a point to not fully invest in developer hints between overreaching of speculation (See: Spider-Man 4 mess that's gone down) and the shenanigans of half of the namesake of Noob Saibot.

Definitely something a mate of mine would be happy to hear though.
Noob Saibot is actually Tobias Boon's name backward. Considering this and how old the character is (I wouldn't be surprised if the game coined the term) I think it's just a coincidence. Besides, wouldn't noob in it's modern gaming context be a better name for a purposely bad joke character?

SKX31

Smash Master
Watch James Bond be fighter pack 5.
*The reveal trailer starts from Mario's POV, looking through a Super Scope's sights. As he pans through Final Destination, he hears footsteps coming from his right. Soon he notices Bond walking to his left holding something golden in his hand, and Mario charges the Scope. But with Mario now blinded for just a moment and just as the Scope's about to fire, Bond turns to shoot Mario. A small explosion erupts in front of Mario, and the plumber recoils backwards.

Mario trips. Something red falls over his head - Cappy.

Bond's gun turns out to be a Banana Gun.*

*JAMES BOND breaks into the show!*

(I regret nothing!)

The next DLC fighter will be Chris Redfield as a Charizard clone. He'll use an actual flamethrower instead of breathing fire and he'll even get Rock Smash. It'd shut down the misconceptions that a Resi character would be too similar to Snake or Joker and it'd bring a return to the almighty Rock Smash, so it's a win-win for everybody :p
Godamnit, now I can't stop thinking about how Completely Globally Saturated Online would be with Chris players spamming Rock Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think Doom Slayer's lack of Japanese popularity is a huge hindrance, he just lacks the benefit a bigger presence there would afford him. The character wouldn't be added for Japan, so what they think of him, while a factor, would always be secondary. Much like how Hero's western notoriety (or lack thereof) was clearly an ancillary consideration.

Now, it'd be a different story if the character didn't see many of their titles even make it to that market (like Mortal Kombat or Spyro - or, on the flip side, Puyo Puyo or Goemon), as Sakurai clearly does not like excluding regions - but catering to one region over the other is an established practice.

ze9

Smash Ace
I think Doomguy has a great chance.
-Bethesda has a great relationship with Nintendo (we're even getting Doom Eternal)
-Doom is a historical franchise and the father of FPS (even Sakurai said so himself)
-It's also a very "hot" series right now, with recent and highly acclaimed releases, just like Persona and Dragon Quest
-The Nintendo connection also checks out, I think almost every main Doom game has been playable on a Nintendo console
-Bethesda has apparently talked with Nintendo about Smash, but we don't know much about it.
And as a last, personal consideration: tonally, he's completely different from each of the other 3 DLC characters. Since they're also wildly different between themselves already, a character like Doomguy would be a good continuation.

Speaking of which, please enjoy my Music Genre Theory™ .
Persona: happy hour music
Dragon Quest: national anthems
Banjo-Kazooie: nursery rhymes

How do you follow it?
That's right! With DEATH METAL.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If the last two DLC fighters have reveals that are continuations to other reveal trailers. Which ones can you guys see? I can see

:ultbanjokazooie:: Crash Bandicoot
:ulthero:: Nightmare
:ultincineroar::ultken:: Heihachi or Terry Bogard
:ultridley:: Doom Slayer
:ultsimon::ultrichter:: Resident Evil rep (Jill or Leon)

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Even then, I'm pretty sure with the right marketing (and without butchering his games), Spyro could do better in Japan than he has before, Puyo is slowly but surely gaining a western presence with Tetris and Champions, and Goemon could be the Banjo of Japan (considering his series is not just dead here, but dead worldwide). Mortal Kombat is the only one to have games outright banned, but even then, I wouldn't say Scorpion is dead in the water. Extremely unlikely? Yes. Impossible? No.

So Doomguy might not be that big in Japan, but hey, he's more than likely better off than any of the above, at least for now.

D

Deleted member

If the last two DLC fighters have reveals that are continuations to other reveal trailers. Which ones can you guys see? I can see

:ultbanjokazooie:: Crash Bandicoot
:ulthero:: Nightmare
:ultincineroar::ultken:: Heihachi or Terry Bogard
:ultridley:: Doom Slayer
:ultsimon::ultrichter:: Resident Evil rep (Jill or Leon)
Why continuations though? I prefer the characters to have their own thing.

D

Deleted member

Frankly I feel Doomguy is a bit overrated regarding chances from Bethesda, especially since I feel that the Dragonborn is also a relatively interesting choice but that's just me.
Come on. You can't deny Doom Slayer giving:ultridley:a hell (pun intended) of a beat down would be wicked cool.
Yup, lets reduce the reveals of the previous characters because they only serve to present the next characters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
ok but Fallout representation tho

doesn't have to be Vault Boy

Flyboy

Smash Hero
*The reveal trailer starts from Mario's POV, looking through a Super Scope's sights. As he pans through Final Destination, he hears footsteps coming from his right. Soon he notices Bond walking to his left holding something golden in his hand, and Mario charges the Scope. But with Mario now blinded for just a moment and just as the Scope's about to fire, Bond turns to shoot Mario. A small explosion erupts in front of Mario, and the plumber recoils backwards.

Mario trips. Something red falls over his head - Cappy.

Bond's gun turns out to be a Banana Gun.*

*JAMES BOND breaks into the show!*

(I regret nothing!)
I...I can't lie, if Bond really did get in, I'd lose it. The GoldenEye N64 theme hitting would make me so happy. I know "no fourth parties" but I can't help it. It'd be so completely nuts and so so fun.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Noob Saibot is actually Tobias Boon's name backward. Considering this and how old the character is (I wouldn't be surprised if the game coined the term) I think it's just a coincidence. Besides, wouldn't noob in it's modern gaming context be a better name for a purposely bad joke character?
Tobias Boon isn't a person, it's the last names of John Tobias and Ed Boon, the creators of MK. Nothing to do with the term noob, that's just a corruption of newbie.
Even then, I'm pretty sure with the right marketing (and without butchering his games), Spyro could do better in Japan than he has before, Puyo is slowly but surely gaining a western presence with Tetris and Champions, and Goemon could be the Banjo of Japan (considering his series is not just dead here, but dead worldwide). Mortal Kombat is the only one to have games outright banned, but even then, I wouldn't say Scorpion is dead in the water. Extremely unlikely? Yes. Impossible? No.

So Doomguy might not be that big in Japan, but hey, he's more than likely better off than any of the above, at least for now.
Wait, Goemon is still getting games?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While I think Doomguy and Crash would be great, I frankly don't see the Fighter Pass having more Western-created characters than Japanese created ones.

We might not get any more Western created characters at all.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, lets chill with the continuation thing. Doom Eternal features both Heaven and Hell, let Doom Slayer rip and tear his way through the forces of Galeem and Dharkon's armies instead.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
How likely is a character reveal at EVO? Do you think they'll showcase another character or will they talk about Hero/Banjo in more detail?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
How likely is a character reveal at EVO? Do you think they'll showcase another character or will they talk about Hero/Banjo in more detail?
Probably not tbh but if there is it'll be a fighting game character given the events theme. I could see Heihachi or Nightmare.

Otherwise even "Out There" or "You Didn't See That Coming" picks like Kyo Kusanagi, Nakoruru, Scorpion and Terry Bogard.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think they could do the same they did back in August, announce that a Direct is coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom