• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
A lot of people were eager to prove Verge wrong about Incineroar, regardless of how ridiculous the Gardevoir rumor was.
Considering why I dislike Incineroar and doubted its inclusion, there was no way I'd believe a Gothitelle leak.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
A lot of people were eager to prove Verge wrong about Incineroar, regardless of how ridiculous the Gardevoir rumor was.

Then again, people were really gullible around this time. This is also when we got chair theory and "Isaac delayed due to earthquake" theory.
Yes, this was the time when the Sakurai's room theories were getting so crazy to the point where someone created a "leaked" image of Sakurai's room from the next direct. IIRC the image was taken from an IKEA website and Sakurai was slapped on top of it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Considering why I dislike Incineroar and doubted its inclusion, there was no way I'd believe a Gothitelle leak.
It still convinced enough people to the point where we had serious discussions about whether or not Gothitelle could work as a Gardevoir Echo.

I actually remember an argument or two about Gothitelle's stubby disproportionate legs.

Yes, this was the time when the Sakurai's room theories were getting so crazy to the point where someone created a "leaked" image of Sakurai's room from the next direct. IIRC the image was taken from an IKEA website and Sakurai was slapped on top of it.
People were crazy in late summer 2018.

"WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE MAKING THE CONNECTION!? THE ROPE LADDER WAS A HINT FOR K. ROOL!! THE CHAIRS ARE HINTING AT SKULL KID!! LOZ18 SAID SO HIMSELF!!"

"OMG THAT PICTURE IS A REFERENCE TO GOLDEN SUN!! LOOK AT THE ANGLE!!"

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Kinda figured. It is a shame though. A playable character like that is usually the hook for the entire game. Probably speaks to the wide variety of great characters the game has.
I know how you feel. I mean, we've got the literal embodiment of death as an archer, a boy and a yeti, an undead harpooner who became a kind of serial killer, a revived desert king who makes soldiers out of sand, a catfish/frog thing that makes faustian bargains and... whatever the hell Bard is.

I know there's a "needs more cowbell" joke so that honestly doesn't surprise me. It is interesting though, usually people hate on things like that in games. Unless it's the point like with Fight of Animals.
I think it's because the characters don't depend too much on these references and still stand out on their own. References can be annoying if they happen too often or are more on the nose than necessary.

Powerman293

Smash Ace

Then again, people were really gullible around this time. This is also when we got chair theory and "Isaac delayed due to earthquake" theory.
Lol imagine if that same train of thinking was applied today.

"X character got its reveal delayed because of COVID!"
"Why, because nobody's getting any work done?"
"No, because the character's motif would be inappropriate."

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Lol imagine if that same train of thinking was applied today.

"X character got its reveal delayed because of COVID!"
"Why, because nobody's getting any work done?"
"No, because the character's motif would be inappropriate."
"The fact Sakurai is in a plain white room hints at Sora, because his game's plot makes you feel like you're in an insane asylum"

venomthebest

Smash Apprentice
read this in one article about sakurai talking smash stuff and this paragraph should deconfirm a bowser jr/ hero situation for the arms character

"However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!"

source http://sourcegaming.info/2015/06/28/sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-457-abilities-unlike-any-other/

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
read this in one article about sakurai talking smash stuff and this paragraph should deconfirm a bowser jr/ hero situation for the arms character

"However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!"

source http://sourcegaming.info/2015/06/28/sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-457-abilities-unlike-any-other/
As much as I agree with you, this really just applies to how characters function in game rather than the potential for differences being there. For example, the Koopalings could each have a few unique attacks involving the different types of spells they can cast and whatnot, but instead they were squished back into their Super Mario World proportions and homogenized into Bowser Jr.'s moveset. The more I think about it the less I like it, but it does prove that, unfortunately, they could do something like that again with the ARMS character(s).

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
Um, what?
Ubisoft's bot cannot say anything about smash ultimate as of April 22.
If rayman is in Fighters pass 2, then how would they handle the amiibo of him?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That's not something that I considered, but yeah, a Rayman Amiibo would have a lot of kinda ugly clear plastic bits.
There's a Rayman statue that poses him in a way where everything's touching something, meaning floating body parts are not a problem. So the Smash team would need to make his pose something that keeps things connected.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Although Rayman in not in my official predicshlist, as a shill for mascot platformers, I endorse him wholeheartedly.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Um, what?
Hm. That’s odd yeah but so was the fact that Capcom was announcing DMC stuff on the same day as Byleth’s reveal. It could just be a coincidence so if your a fan, keep your expectations in check.

Shroob

Sup?
It still convinced enough people to the point where we had serious discussions about whether or not Gothitelle could work as a Gardevoir Echo.

I actually remember an argument or two about Gothitelle's stubby disproportionate legs.

People were crazy in late summer 2018.

"WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE MAKING THE CONNECTION!? THE ROPE LADDER WAS A HINT FOR K. ROOL!! THE CHAIRS ARE HINTING AT SKULL KID!! LOZ18 SAID SO HIMSELF!!"

"OMG THAT PICTURE IS A REFERENCE TO GOLDEN SUN!! LOOK AT THE ANGLE!!"
I mean, even if the picture was a reference, which I still think it was, it's not like Sakurai doesn't reference other games all the time. It's just, back then, everyone was hoping on every small morsel that they could get their hands on to mean "X IS CONFIRMED!1!!!"

Hell, iirc, ZSS' Classic Mode screen in Smash 4 WiiU is a direct reference to Bayonetta. The dude just like making references.

Last edited:

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
Um, what?
it would probably be like this:
by Raysober.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
As for the League rumor.

It's neat, League is absolutely a juggernaut of a game, basically being THE face of E-sports and standing head and shoulders above others.

I don't believe it at all, but it also wouldn't surprise me just due to how universal the game is.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Shamelessly stealing this from the "Build your Avengers team!" game on twitter, but I'm generally unoriginal so I think this should work out:

Build your own Smash DLC!

The rules are simple. You get $15 to spend on your selection of DLC characters. Every character is priced from $1 to $5 based on no objective criteria beyond my own judgement of "yeah, this seems right here". There's no bonus for having excess money, so try to make every dollar count!

• Dante
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Sora
  • Master Chief
  • Unique Third Party character not listed in the other categories

• 2B
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Chris/Jill/Leon
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Waluigi
  • Issac
  • Kazuma Kiryu
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Geno
  • Doom Marine
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Unique Nintendo character not listed in the other categories

• Rex and Pyra
  • Sol Badguy
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Heihachi
  • Ray-Man
  • Monster Hunter
  • Amaterasu
  • Lara Croft
  • Steve
  • Dixie Kong
  • Neku

• Paper Mario
  • Gen 8 Pokemon of your choosing
  • Sub-Zero/Scorpion
  • Arle
  • Shantae
  • Porky
  • Elma
  • KOS-MOS
  • Skull Kid
  • Reimu
  • Bomberman
  • A Ken-style Echo Fighter of your choosing

• Bubsy
  • Gex
  • Tingle
  • Shiori Fujisaki
  • Breath of the Wild Zelda
  • Sandbag
  • Daisy/Richter-style echo of your choosing
Shantae $2
Crash Bandicoot $5
Sub-Zero/Scorpion $2
Skull Kid $2
Paper Mario $2
Bomberman $2

Some of these $2 ones are a steal in my eyes.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
rayman fans clamoring together saying "this is it!" like this exact scenario hasn't happened ten times already and all turned up not true. :nifty:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Um, what?
I agree that it's odd but I'd like to bring to attention the slight diss to Byleth as "another FE character".

Like, damn, it's reached the point where even other companies are getting in on it.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Um, what?
If it's a bot then it probably just gave a different answer and that's why it didn't talk about Super Smash Bros Ultimate. How many times did they try it?

edit: Checked the tweet and it came up with the same response as the new one.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I agree that it's odd but I'd like to bring to attention the slight diss to Byleth as "another FE character".

Like, damn, it's reached the point where even other companies are getting in on it.
Actually that might be the reason behind the change, Nintendo could have been upset at a trusted business partner dissing them with direct mention of their IP, this is the same company that takes **** down faster than you can say 'Copyright Strike' to 'protect their IP' after all

Shroob

Sup?
My one question about League is, if it is League, who in the world would they even pick. That game has over 120 characters and no real 'main' character.

There's definitely mascot-like characters, hell, Smashboards has an emote of arguably the most Mascot character of the series, :teemo:

But as we've seen from Joker and Hero, just being a "Mascot" to a game/series isn't necessarily enough in the end.

It'd be interesting, if nothing else. The absolute BIGGEST E-Sport in the world crossing over with.... a game which Nintendo barely does anything in terms of E-Sports with, lol.

I still think the leak is bogus but, I had never really considered League as a possible candidate, now I'm at the very least considering it plausible because, I mean, it's probably up there with Call of Duty, Minecraft and Fortnite in just how large and widespread it is globally.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Rayman isn't one of my predictions or in my top list, but as someone who loved the OG Rayman games and been looking to play the latest platformers, I would happily accept Rayman as a DLC fighter.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Shamelessly stealing this from the "Build your Avengers team!" game on twitter, but I'm generally unoriginal so I think this should work out:

Build your own Smash DLC!

The rules are simple. You get $15 to spend on your selection of DLC characters. Every character is priced from $1 to $5 based on no objective criteria beyond my own judgement of "yeah, this seems right here". There's no bonus for having excess money, so try to make every dollar count!

• Dante
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Sora
  • Master Chief
  • Unique Third Party character not listed in the other categories

• 2B
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Chris/Jill/Leon
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Waluigi
  • Issac
  • Kazuma Kiryu
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Geno
  • Doom Marine
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Unique Nintendo character not listed in the other categories

• Rex and Pyra
  • Sol Badguy
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Heihachi
  • Ray-Man
  • Monster Hunter
  • Amaterasu
  • Lara Croft
  • Steve
  • Dixie Kong
  • Neku

• Paper Mario
  • Gen 8 Pokemon of your choosing
  • Sub-Zero/Scorpion
  • Arle
  • Shantae
  • Porky
  • Elma
  • KOS-MOS
  • Skull Kid
  • Reimu
  • Bomberman
  • A Ken-style Echo Fighter of your choosing

• Bubsy
  • Gex
  • Tingle
  • Shiori Fujisaki
  • Breath of the Wild Zelda
  • Sandbag
  • Daisy/Richter-style echo of your choosing
$5: Dante
$3: Rex and Pyra, Monster Hunter
$2: Shantae, KOS-MOS

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Actually that might be the reason behind the change, Nintendo could have been upset at a trusted business partner dissing them with direct mention of their IP, this is the same company that takes **** down faster than you can say 'Copyright Strike' to 'protect their IP' after all
Ah, yes. Nothing that screams threat to a massive company than a YT channel that uploads their music that won't even sell. Never going to get over that.

Or fangames. Or anything like that. Could at least reached middle ground like Capcom or Sega.

SKX31

Smash Master
My one question about League is, if it is League, who in the world would they even pick. That game has over 120 characters and no real 'main' character.

There's definitely mascot-like characters, hell, Smashboards has an emote of arguably the most Mascot character of the series, :teemo:

But as we've seen from Joker and Hero, just being a "Mascot" to a game/series isn't necessarily enough in the end.

It'd be interesting, if nothing else. The absolute BIGGEST E-Sport in the world crossing over with.... a game which Nintendo barely does anything in terms of E-Sports with, lol.

I still think the leak is bogus but, I had never really considered League as a possible candidate, now I'm at the very least considering it plausible because, I mean, it's probably up there with Call of Duty, Minecraft and Fortnite in just how large and widespread it is globally.
Come to think of it, it does make an uncomfortable amount of sense. Tencent is one of the biggest E-Sports drivers out there (running the LPL, the Chinese pro LoL league, for example, while providing funds for Riot to run the other LoL regions and Worlds). If Nintendo ever wants to learn how to run such an E-sports scene, Tencent and Valve are probably the biggest options they could look at.

It doesn't affect how likely LoL is much if at all, mind (hell, all in all I still see LoL as an outsider at best, the leak feels really wonky and too dependent on factors going its way for it to be trustworthy. At least how things stands at the moment.). While I've long suspected that Nintendo's partnership with Tencent is more multifaceted than just "Switch getting an official Chinese release" Smash is not neccessarily part of the deal. Thing is, Smash could easily fit in those plans too. The timing (what with an abridged LoL - Wild Rift - probably heading to the Switch in 2021) feels a bit too convinient too.

Of course, this could wind up being nothing in the end.

Ah, yes. Nothing that screams threat to a massive company than a YT channel that uploads their music that won't even sell. Never going to get over that.

Or fangames. Or anything like that. Could at least reached middle ground like Capcom or Sega.
Organizational culture is, if I may behave like Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen for a bit, a *****.

I suspect that that line of thinking comes from years of Nintendo self-publishing its own games and consoles. "This is our territory / property, and we pride ourselves on being exclusive!" Not every Nintendo employee thinks like this of course - but if an organization is successful at one thing (which Nintendo is) thinking like this spreads really easily within the organization (especially higher-ups). The key to success in this case lays within the whole exclusivity package.

There's the flipside though as you mentioned: Nintendo overreacting on a YT channel - or fangame - based on the mere possibility that said exclusitivy gets "dilluted". Organizational culture can wind up in some really weird leaps of logic.

Shroob

Sup?
Come to think of it, it does make an uncomfortable amount of sense. Tencent is one of the biggest E-Sports drivers out there (running the LPL, the Chinese pro LoL league, for example, while providing funds for Riot to run the other LoL regions and Worlds). If Nintendo ever wants to learn how to run such an E-sports scene, Tencent and Valve are probably the biggest options they could look at.

It doesn't affect how likely LoL is much if at all, mind (hell, all in all I still see LoL as an outsider at best, the leak feels really wonky and too dependent on factors going its way for it to be trustworthy. At least how things stands at the moment.). While I've long suspected that Nintendo's partnership with Tencent is more multifaceted than just "Switch getting an official Chinese release" Smash is not neccessarily part of the deal. Thing is, Smash could easily fit in those plans too. The timing (what with an abridged LoL - Wild Rift - probably heading to the Switch in 2021) feels a bit too convinient too.

Of course, this could wind up being nothing in the end.

Organizational culture is, if I may behave like Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen for a bit, a *****.

I suspect that that line of thinking comes from years of Nintendo self-publishing its own games and consoles. "This is our territory / property, and we pride ourselves on being exclusive!" Not every Nintendo employee thinks like this of course - but if an organization is successful at one thing (which Nintendo is) thinking like this spreads really easily within the organization (especially higher-ups). The key to success in this case lays within the whole exclusivity package.

There's the flipside though as you mentioned: Nintendo overreacting on a YT channel - or fangame - based on the mere possibility that said exclusitivy gets "dilluted". Organizational culture can wind up in some really weird leaps of logic.
This line of thinking, of course, implies Nintendo wants to do anything E-Sports related.

If they had wanted to do anything like that with Smash, they would have hit the ground running from the get go, now, it's a bit too late to really have the same level of impact. Sure, Smash is a very healthy competitive game, but it feels like they missed the boat on a high point for organized play(Aka when the game came out).

SKX31

Smash Master
This line of thinking, of course, implies Nintendo wants to do anything E-Sports related.

If they had wanted to do anything like that with Smash, they would have hit the ground running from the get go, now, it's a bit too late to really have the same level of impact. Sure, Smash is a very healthy competitive game, but it feels like they missed the boat on a high point for organized play(Aka when the game came out).
Not disagreeing with you there. It's a major if, and Nintendo certainly did stumble - the first Nintendo Open is a prime example (the one Heeew talks about here):

The tournaments suggest there's some interest from Nintendo's POV - but hoo boy was the first tournament a disaster:

• 7 Minutes Time match (No stocks)
  • All Items (even if on low)
  • Bo1 series in pools (One game, Single Elim Bracket - one loss you're out). Bo3 - still Single Elim - in the main Bracket.
Contrast with the second tournament they ran (in the same video). :bowsette: openly announced that it'd give 4 paid-for spots in EVO 2019 (and thus this online tournament was tied to an actual pro tournament). Heeew actually got one of the spots. To writ:

• 3 Stocks, 7 minutes (Same as Pro Ultimate)
  • Limited item pool (while not exactly as competitive people want, it's major a step in the right direction). No Pokeballs / ATs this time around. Top 16 - the last two rounds - had no items.
  • Bo3 throughout, if still Single Elim
Sure, both tournaments used all stages. But it's still a positive development.

Nintendo's also running the fully pro SSBU European Circuit this year (Including Nintendo actually hosting the European Circuit's Grand Finals at Dreamhack.), albeit it's very likely under a pause right now.

Again: if Nintendo (of Japan presumably) is not interested, that's that most likely.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
My gut feelings tells me we are getting another Nintendo fighter who debuted on the Switch in this pass.
I mean it'll probably be Rex or a Sword/Shield rep because those are the two that are likely at this point. Either that or we could get a character from BOTW. I certainly wouldn't mind Urbosa.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Do you think Nintendo having an items-on tournament was just to see for themselves why no one actually uses them? :nifty:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Do you think Nintendo having an items-on tournament was just to see for themselves why no one actually uses them? :nifty:
People really are going on with the "nobody plays Smash casually" meme, huh?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Would Octoling technically count? Because Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion...
As long as it's the Octo expansion design (i.e. Agent 8) and not the classic 80's tentacles one from the original game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom