• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I feel like every single time I see someone suggest a "Bowser Jr/Hero situation" clearly havent seen or played the games they talk about
I do not look forward to continuously roll my eyes on the day when Dota 2 somehow enters the speculation scene and people seriously start suggesting that Sven can be a Juggernaut echo, Crystal Maiden can be a Lina echo, or Rubick can be an Invoker echo.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I also don't know why League of Legends would get a character, especially considering that it's PC only and highly unlikely to the Switch. The only reason I can see is to appeal to Chinese players.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I also don't know why League of Legends would get a character, especially considering that it's PC only and highly unlikely to the Switch. The only reason I can see is to appeal to Chinese players.
if Ultimate DOES get an official China release though, i can see that being an incentive.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Still don't know about it, especially considering that League of Legends itself is not on the Switch in any form.
Riot has recently listed jobs for Switch development, though, and LoL Wild Rift was stated to "be coming to consoles" this year or the next, I believe. Put two and two together and that doesn't seem like an obstacle anymore.

There's a number of factors that make a League rep unlikely... but "no presence" doesn't seem to be one of them. If Cloud only got his OG game on Nintendo consoles after being included in Smash and Joker still shows no signs of coming to the Switch, then I don't see why that would be a problem for Riot, especially considering the devs are Smash fans.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I mean, Tencent really helped Nintendo to bring the Switch in China and they make their own Switch cartridge for China, so they help a lot Nintendo for that. Tencent own Riot games (League of legends) so even if it's not on a Nintendo console, they could work have work easily a deal for something to happen with Smash, especially if Nintendo/Tencent is planning to bring Smash in China.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Everything else mentioned here is a safe guess and not that hard to see happen. I also don't know if LOL has a recognizable mascot or protagonist because I highly doubt that they would do another Hero-type character.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This could also be fake. I think that it is.
Everything you say reads like a hot take to me for some reason. I have no idea why this is though since your posts usually aren't.

Riot has recently listed jobs for Switch development, though, and LoL Wild Rift was stated to "be coming to consoles" this year or the next, I believe. Put two and two together and that doesn't seem like an obstacle anymore.

There's a number of factors that make a League rep unlikely... but "no presence" doesn't seem to be one of them. If Cloud only got his OG game on Nintendo consoles after being included in Smash and Joker still shows no signs of coming to the Switch, then I don't see why that would be a problem for Riot, especially considering the devs are Smash fans.
Do you think they'd pick the protagonist of whatever big console game their making even if it wasn't one of the major ones from the base game of the franchise?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I've never really gotten into PC gaming, so a LoL character would be one of those, "Is this a big deal cause I honestly don't know?" kind of characters.

I don't like or dislike the idea. I just know so little about the franchise that I'd probably sit through the reveal and immediately be ready for the next fighter.

SKX31

Smash Master
Still don't know about it, especially considering that League of Legends itself is not on the Switch in any form.
Here are Riot's multiple job listings that mention the Switch. Dating back to last October. Before the FP2 window closed IIRC. They have something planned - it's not clear if it's connected to Smash at all or not.

if Ultimate DOES get an official China release though, i can see that being an incentive.
We'll simply see if Ninty / Tencent sends Ultimate in for approval in the coming months. The approval process is onerous (several months if not more) because the Chinese government is incredibly paranoid like that. Once approved though it'll be real quick to release - for MK8DX it took 4 days between approval and release.

Most people into console games there buy imported international consoles and games (New Horizons being a notable example - not officially released but NH got really big there. Even when the gov. delisted the game from ecommerce sites.). But regardless of how many play International Switches or Chinese Switches Ninty / Tencent stand to benefit if this scenario actually happens.

Do you think they'd pick the protagonist of whatever big console game their making even if it wasn't one of the major ones from the base game of the franchise?
If it's Wild Rift (console / mobile LoL - aka abridged LoL) they're likely going to go with one of the pre-existing poster children. Likewise with the fighting game (Project L). I'm not seeing Valorant (Riot's newfangled Counter-Strike with OCs) at all. And we have no idea what Riot's Project F is.

Yeah, they are devving four games at the same time. A FP2 character - if true - would come at a really significant sweet spot.

Again, I could see it happening, but I'm not jumping on any bandwagons. Need more rock solid evidence.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
According to this, Valve and Nintendo had a meeting and Valve was offered six figures to make an exclusive Switch title. Nintendo must really like and respect Valve to do this.
So...Nintendo offered one of the richest companies in video games, less than a million dollars to make them an exclusive video game?

Boy I bet that went well...

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So...Nintendo offered one of the richest company's in video games, less than a million dollars to make them an exclusive video game?

Boy I bet that went well...
Especially considering how much money Valve is making thanks to Steam.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I also don't know if LOL has a recognizable mascot or protagonist because I highly doubt that they would do another Hero-type character.
I agree that it will probably just be one character, though as a free to play game with free to play business practices, there's likely to be no shortage of alternate costumes they can use for anyone they decide to go with. Well...Unless they're new or Riot or the fans hate them or something.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Everything else mentioned here is a safe guess and not that hard to see happen. I also don't know if LOL has a recognizable mascot or protagonist because I highly doubt that they would do another Hero-type character.
I mean there are several characters from LoL that riot uses for advertising/get a lot of love from Riot in the form of skins. I.E. Ahri, Lux, Jinx, Ezreal, Garen, Ashe, Yasuo, Ekko, Teemo and a ton of others. There's definitely potential for a recognizable character.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
To add to what SKX31 SKX31 said: in case of a spinoff they don't even have to restrict themselves to its protagonist - that's the beauty of having several poster children. So even if you had a title in a different genre focusing on a specific Champion, they could still choose someone else entirely.

Dang, this conversation reminds me of how much I want to see the League fighting game...

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Shamelessly stealing this from the "Build your Avengers team!" game on twitter, but I'm generally unoriginal so I think this should work out:

Build your own Smash DLC!

The rules are simple. You get $15 to spend on your selection of DLC characters. Every character is priced from $1 to $5 based on no objective criteria beyond my own judgement of "yeah, this seems right here". There's no bonus for having excess money, so try to make every dollar count!

• Dante
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Sora
  • Master Chief
  • Unique Third Party character not listed in the other categories

• 2B
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Chris/Jill/Leon
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Waluigi
  • Issac
  • Kazuma Kiryu
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Geno
  • Doom Marine
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Unique Nintendo character not listed in the other categories

• Rex and Pyra
  • Sol Badguy
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Heihachi
  • Ray-Man
  • Monster Hunter
  • Amaterasu
  • Lara Croft
  • Steve
  • Dixie Kong
  • Neku

• Paper Mario
  • Gen 8 Pokemon of your choosing
  • Sub-Zero/Scorpion
  • Arle
  • Shantae
  • Porky
  • Elma
  • KOS-MOS
  • Skull Kid
  • Reimu
  • Bomberman
  • A Ken-style Echo Fighter of your choosing

• Bubsy
  • Gex
  • Tingle
  • Shiori Fujisaki
  • Breath of the Wild Zelda
  • Sandbag
  • Daisy/Richter-style echo of your choosing
Cool I'll give it a try:
Sora ($5)
Amaterasu ($3)
Shantae ($2)
Elma ($2)
Rayman ($3)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
To add to what SKX31 SKX31 said: in case of a spinoff they don't even have to restrict themselves to its protagonist - that's the beauty of having several poster children. So even if you had a title in a different genre focusing on a specific Champion, they could still choose someone else entirely.

Dang, this conversation reminds me of how much I want to see the League fighting game...
So you're saying there's a chance for this guy?
1587596269051.png
'Cuz he's probably one of the coolest playable characters I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I don't know anything about LoL, but the last I heard buzz about it was because one of its characters got a major overhaul with a cool design and voice.
Could be cool to see this monstrosity in Smash.

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
Shamelessly stealing this from the "Build your Avengers team!" game on twitter, but I'm generally unoriginal so I think this should work out:

The rules are simple. You get $15 to spend on your selection of DLC characters. Every character is priced from $1 to $5 based on no objective criteria beyond my own judgement of "yeah, this seems right here". There's no bonus for having excess money, so try to make every dollar count!

• Dante
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Sora
  • Master Chief

• 2B
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Chris/Jill/Leon
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Waluigi
  • Issac
  • Kazuma Kiryu
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Geno
  • Doom Marine
  • Ryu Hayabusa

• Rex and Pyra
  • Sol Badguy
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Heihachi
  • Ray-Man
  • Monster Hunter
  • Amaterasu
  • Lara Croft
  • Steve
  • Dixie Kong
  • Neku

• Paper Mario
  • Sub-Zero/Scorpion
  • Arle
  • Shantae
  • Porky
  • Elma
  • KOS-MOS
  • Skull Kid
  • Reimu
  • Bomberman

• Bubsy
  • Gex
  • Tingle
  • Shiori Fujisaki
  • Sandbag
5$-Monokuma
4$-Pauline
3$-Rex & Pyra
2$-Arle
1$-Viridi or Medusa

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Yoo guys. 4Chan is back at it again, housing Prophets

View attachment 269857

https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/504535136
It's interesting for sure and I'm not against the fox girl, but there have been a lot of these where people guess something and it doesn't happen. I remember there was a DMC5 rumor that got everything right EXCEPT Dante being in Smash. It is something that could have been guessed as well but is still more specific than a date or anything of the sort.

What does raise a red flag is the date. It was made back in January but since there the next character was an AMRS character. I don't think you can blame it on a Riot employee as they know about other content from other games. The question is, why didn't they confirm the ARMS character if they know about things that are coming down the pipe. Sounds like it could be a fake.

On a somewhat related note, the reason I think the Cacomallow leak is fake is that, like this one, it happened in early November but doesn't have any content from Fighter Pass 4 and Fighter Pass 5. So it was probably fake. If Fighter Pass 7 isn't from LOL or the costumes don't show up I'd be skeptical about this.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
There's also the chance that since this was made in January they are actually talking about FP6. In that case, this is definitely fake.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So you're saying there's a chance for this guy?
'Cuz he's probably one of the coolest playable characters I've ever seen.
Sadly, Aurelion Sol is far from one of the first names that come to mind when thinking of League mascots. Riot does't seem to care much about him, either - there's only about two skins for him in the game.

[Angry Scream]
"Stars"

I refuse to believe that this is anything other than a Resident Evil reference.
Might as well be. You'd be surprised with how often LoL references pop culture and other video games.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think the way to look at it, is to take it for what it is. Adding additional context that there’s no evidence of just makes things more confusing really, at least if you ask me.

The dude claimed there would be a ToM Spirit Event, which turned out to actually happen. The thing is, that doesn’t mean the user has legit information. While I don’t necessarily think ToM was an obvious Spirit candidate, getting that correct alone doesn’t mean the rest of the rumor is legitimate.

It’ll be interesting to see what other information comes out over time. I’m not one to say to “believe leakers” blindly, but all things considered Vergeben doesn’t have a terrible record with Smash. As usual, it’s best to keep things in mind with a grain of salt.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Remember the 4chan leak that predicted Joker first, which also had Square Enix rep and Banjo? What about the user who predicted all 4 of Hero's alts. Or how about a Twitter user who posted his most wanted which had Erdrick, Banjo, Terry, and Ryu Hayabusa on it?

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!

• Dante
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Sora
  • Master Chief

• 2B
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Chris/Jill/Leon
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Waluigi
  • Issac
  • Kazuma Kiryu
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Geno
  • Doom Marine
  • Ryu Hayabusa

• Rex and Pyra
  • Sol Badguy
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Heihachi
  • Ray-Man
  • Monster Hunter
  • Amaterasu
  • Lara Croft
  • Steve
  • Dixie Kong
  • Neku

• Paper Mario
  • Sub-Zero/Scorpion
  • Arle
  • Shantae
  • Porky
  • Elma
  • KOS-MOS
  • Skull Kid
  • Reimu
  • Bomberman

• Bubsy
  • Gex
  • Tingle
  • Shiori Fujisaki
  • Sandbag
$3 Rex & Pyra
$5 Sora
$2 Reimu
$4 Phoenix Wright
$1 Big Boss (Daisy/Richter-style echo)

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Remember the 4chan leak that predicted Joker first, which also had Square Enix rep and Banjo? What about the user who predicted all 4 of Hero's alts. Or how about a Twitter user who posted his most wanted which had Erdrick, Banjo, Terry, and Ryu Hayabusa on it?
How dare you expect us to have long-term memory!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
As people have claimed, just because part of a rumor is true does not mean that all of it is true.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sadly, Aurelion Sol is far from one of the first names that come to mind when thinking of League mascots. Riot does't seem to care much about him, either - there's only about two skins for him in the game.
Kinda figured. It is a shame though. A playable character like that is usually the hook for the entire game. Probably speaks to the wide variety of great characters the game has.

Might as well be. You'd be surprised with how often LoL references pop culture and other video games.
I know there's a "needs more cowbell" joke so that honestly doesn't surprise me. It is interesting though, usually people hate on things like that in games. Unless it's the point like with Fight of Animals.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Throwback to that time people seriously thought Gardevoir was in with a Gothitelle echo because a 4Chan leak that guessed Richter said it.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818

• Dante
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Sora
  • Master Chief

• 2B
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Chris/Jill/Leon
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Waluigi
  • Issac
  • Kazuma Kiryu
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Geno
  • Doom Marine
  • Ryu Hayabusa

• Rex and Pyra
  • Sol Badguy
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Heihachi
  • Ray-Man
  • Monster Hunter
  • Amaterasu
  • Lara Croft
  • Steve
  • Dixie Kong
  • Neku

• Paper Mario
  • Sub-Zero/Scorpion
  • Arle
  • Shantae
  • Porky
  • Elma
  • KOS-MOS
  • Skull Kid
  • Reimu
  • Bomberman

• Bubsy
  • Gex
  • Tingle
  • Shiori Fujisaki
  • Sandbag
Phoenix Wright (4$)
Doom Marine (4$)
Rex and Pyra (3$)
Shantae (2$)
Reimu (2$)

That's about it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Throwback to that time people seriously thought Gardevoir was in with a Gothitelle echo because a 4Chan leak that guessed Richter said it.
that leak made no sense from a logical standpoint as at the time all Smash demos were in tightly guarded booths. how you gonna datamine THAT?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

• Dante
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Sora
  • Master Chief

• 2B
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Chris/Jill/Leon
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Waluigi
  • Issac
  • Kazuma Kiryu
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Geno
  • Doom Marine
  • Ryu Hayabusa

• Rex and Pyra
  • Sol Badguy
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Heihachi
  • Ray-Man
  • Monster Hunter
  • Amaterasu
  • Lara Croft
  • Steve
  • Dixie Kong
  • Neku

• Paper Mario
  • Sub-Zero/Scorpion
  • Arle
  • Shantae
  • Porky
  • Elma
  • KOS-MOS
  • Skull Kid
  • Reimu
  • Bomberman

• Bubsy
  • Gex
  • Tingle
  • Shiori Fujisaki
  • Sandbag
Crash ($5)
Waluigi ($4)
Rex/Pyra ($3)
Bomberman ($2)
BotW Zelda ($1)

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
that leak made no sense from a logical standpoint as at the time all Smash demos were in tightly guarded booths. how you gonna datamine THAT?
IIRC the leak also said Simon would not be the playable Castlevania rep, which really should've tipped a lot of people off, seeing how they were revealed at the same time.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
We can claim all we want about that leak's flaws, but that's hindsight bias as well. I remember perfectly well all of the Gothitelle stuff on this site after that fake leak.

I'm not putting stock in anything. I have no idea where the DLC is going to go, and I'm really out of ideas for speculation. I just have no idea what to think.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
A lot of people were eager to prove Verge wrong about Incineroar, regardless of how ridiculous the Gardevoir rumor was.

Then again, people were really gullible around this time. This is also when we got chair theory and "Isaac delayed due to earthquake" theory.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
The memory that sticks out to me regarding that leak was when a particular user insisted that the idea of Gardevoir being in the game with a Gothitelle echo was too "brilliant" for any Smash fan to come up with so the leak must be legit.

Not going to name drop anyone, and I don't think they're on this site anymore, but if you were there you'll remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom