• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Not being funny but could the real reason Rayman didn't get a Mii costume be simply because he doesn't lend himself well to an outfit? Like unless they make the Mii hands and legs disappear(and I guess neck?) would it even work?

Travis Touchdown comes to mind given No More Heroes III.

Or an promotional character for an upcoming Switch game.
Also I don't think Travis counts as a Nintendo Fighter since he's third party.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
People really are going on with the "nobody plays Smash casually" meme, huh?
And people getting thrown in jail for trying to have a sense of humor too, huh? :p

Travis Touchdown comes to mind given No More Heroes III.
I think if the name of the game is No More Heroes 3, then there were probably two other games with Travis on Nintendo systems prior to the Switch.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Travis getting in to help promote NMH3 and because he's a notable gaming character... would make sense.

Just another easy option to go to, if you will.

Now more characters that debut on Switch, that's different.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If Travis got in as a 'shill pick' then expect the cult that is the NMH fanbase to go ape**** at the idea he only got in to shill
Travis is only 13 years old. He needs to be at least a decade older for Smash fans to consider him a "not-shill-pick".

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Travis getting in to help promote NMH3 and because he's a notable gaming character... would make sense.
Always down for more M-Rated reps. And a Suda51 rep. People need to get his games.

Travis is only 13 years old. He needs to be at least a decade older for Smash fans to consider him a "not-shill-pick".
What's the absolute limit of a shill pick? How ridiculously far back can I go before it's not one anymore? Since Toadsworth's first appearance was in 2002, is he the best shill pick we have? /s

Guys someone leaked FP7's trailer on /v/!

Good thing they're adding another Western rep.
always good to see /v/ still having hidden gems

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Guys someone leaked FP7's trailer on /v/!

Good thing they're adding another Western rep.
Fake, Sakurai knows the proper Adult Swim rep would be Dr. Weird.

"GENTLEMEN...BEHOLD! I...HAVE BEEN INVITED TO SMASH BROS!"
"Uh, I dunno doc, don't you have to be a video game character for that?"
"YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS YOU WON'T GET TO BASH MARIO'S HEAD IN! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

D

Deleted member

Shamelessly stealing this from the "Build your Avengers team!" game on twitter, but I'm generally unoriginal so I think this should work out:

Build your own Smash DLC!

The rules are simple. You get $15 to spend on your selection of DLC characters. Every character is priced from $1 to $5 based on no objective criteria beyond my own judgement of "yeah, this seems right here". There's no bonus for having excess money, so try to make every dollar count!

• Dante
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Sora
  • Master Chief
  • Unique Third Party character not listed in the other categories

• 2B
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Chris/Jill/Leon
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Waluigi
  • Issac
  • Kazuma Kiryu
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Geno
  • Doom Marine
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Unique Nintendo character not listed in the other categories

• Rex and Pyra
  • Sol Badguy
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Heihachi
  • Ray-Man
  • Monster Hunter
  • Amaterasu
  • Lara Croft
  • Steve
  • Dixie Kong
  • Neku

• Paper Mario
  • Gen 8 Pokemon of your choosing
  • Sub-Zero/Scorpion
  • Arle
  • Shantae
  • Porky
  • Elma
  • KOS-MOS
  • Skull Kid
  • Reimu
  • Bomberman
  • A Ken-style Echo Fighter of your choosing

• Bubsy
  • Gex
  • Tingle
  • Shiori Fujisaki
  • Breath of the Wild Zelda
  • Sandbag
  • Daisy/Richter-style echo of your choosing
You fool. You made Bomberman obscenely cheap. I win. My strategy is to maximize while still being recognizably hype. Basically, don't get the $4 and $5 characters (because I don't really care about them anyways--besides Geno, but I'll take the hit).

Bomberman $2
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) $2
Reimu $2
Travis $3
Rex & Pyra $3
Heihachi $3

That's six characters total, a whole wave of DLC worth, and all of them are either requested or iconic in their own right.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know that. I was talking about just the third game.

Isn't in in the same boat as Bayonetta being 2nd party given his games are Nintendo exclusive.
Considering Nintendo doesn't own the IP but rather Marvelous and that Travis Strikes Again made it to PS4 and PC, no. The Bayo situation was that it's Nintendo exclusive because Nintendo funded it

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I know that. I was talking about just the third game.

Isn't he in the same boat as Bayonetta being 2nd party given his games are Nintendo exclusive.
Nope. No More Heroes games have generally started out on Nintendo consoles (and they're designed with them in mind), but they have appeared on non-Nintendo consoles, like how No More Heroes 1 got a remake on the PS3 and Xbox 360, or how Travis Strikes Again came out on PS4 and Steam.

Unlike Bayonetta 2 and 3, which are funded by Nintendo, No More Heroes games debuting on Nintendo consoles seems to be Suda's personal preference.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Normally, I don't bother with you acting so annoying. But I can only imagine what kind of tangents you'd go on if you played MVC1 back in the day, and talked about how Arthur is a "loser" compared to Captain Commando or something.
There's a huge difference between how MvC1 handle Assist Characters and how Smash Bros handled them. You can actually choose who you want and when to summon them, which leads to more engagement, a sense that they're actually your partner, and you can strategies with them. Smash Bros on the other hand you get no say in who it is, when you summom them, and what part of the stage to activate them; immediately when you pick them up they do their own thing for 15 seconds.
The game takes all control away from you which goes against a lot of what a fighting game is about. It leaves these Assist Trophies as a shallow experience that only sole purpose is representation for representation sake, which leaves the same impact of a Ready Player One cameo; a lifeless dull uninteresting scene that fails to get you to care about the character. And seeing a generic enemy leaves an impact and engagement in the game that's all about play as your favorite character in a crossover fighting game elevates it above all the other characters that are Assist Trophies, which in turn makes all those characters are less than Generic Enemy #3.

RocksteadyBebop

Banned via Warnings
There's a huge difference between how MvC1 handle Assist Characters and how Smash Bros handled them. You can actually choose who you want and when to summon them, which leads to more engagement, a sense that they're actually your partner, and you can strategies with them
See I can agree with you SOMEWHAT on this point. If you could equip your assist trophy, that would be a cool concept. HOWEVER, smash bros isn’t necessarily a hardcore fighter. It’s a party game. So of course assist trophies are going to be random. That’s the point when it’s a party game bud.

just try and breath a bit, it’s not that bad. Smell the roses and just turn them off If you don’t like them :) heck, I hardly play with items on LOL.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Um, what?
Ubisoft's bot cannot say anything about smash ultimate as of April 22.
If rayman is in Fighters pass 2, then how would they handle the amiibo of him?
Maybe it's just me but I don't see anything suspicious here.
They could have 'updated' their bot and nothing more.

And I like Rayman, but at this point I kind of gave up for him being in Smash. His lack of popularity in Japan doesn't help at all as well.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
See I can agree with you SOMEWHAT on this point. If you could equip your assist trophy, that would be a cool concept. HOWEVER, smash bros isn’t necessarily a hardcore fighter. It’s a party game. So of course assist trophies are going to be random. That’s the point when it’s a party game bud.

just try and breath a bit, it’s not that bad. Smell the roses and just turn them off If you don’t like them :) heck, I hardly play with items on LOL.
I assume you don't know the half of it. In a nutshell, that probably isn't going to work.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

And I like Rayman, but at this point I kind of gave up for him being in Smash. His lack of popularity in Japan doesn't help at all as well.
Granted, a Smash inclusion COULD make him a bit more popular in Japan, but I’m not counting on it

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Granted, a Smash inclusion COULD make him a bit more popular in Japan, but I’m not counting on it
That's for sure, but that would apply to every character to be fair. Smash is a popular game so any character who gets added to the game will receive a boost in popularity, no matter if the character is already popular or not.
Rayman could happen, maybe Nintendo would be okay to put 1-2 characters in the pass that aren't really popular in Japan, but I'm not really sure. Maybe it's because for me it felt as Rayman's best chance was Smash 4.

But for now I'm not really feeling Rayman for this pass, honestly.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not being funny but could the real reason Rayman didn't get a Mii costume be simply because he doesn't lend himself well to an outfit? Like unless they make the Mii hands and legs disappear(and I guess neck?) would it even work?
I don't think the Miis have necks...*questions everything*

There's a huge difference between how MvC1 handle Assist Characters and how Smash Bros handled them. You can actually choose who you want and when to summon them, which leads to more engagement, a sense that they're actually your partner, and you can strategies with them. Smash Bros on the other hand you get no say in who it is, when you summom them, and what part of the stage to activate them; immediately when you pick them up they do their own thing for 15 seconds.
The game takes all control away from you which goes against a lot of what a fighting game is about.
I think your forgetting the party aspect of Super Smash Bros. People like to dismiss this part of of the series so they can be taken more seriously as a fighting game, but that doesn't change the fact that the series is a little of both. Crazy random items like Poké Balls, Assist Trophies, and crazy stages like the Paper Mario and The Great Cave Offensive are exemplary of this. They allow for wacky shenanigans to happen so that everyone can have fun, or at least enjoy the spectacle.

That being said though, I do think that if we were to add one new gameplay feature to the series that changes up gameplay drastically, I think selectable assists would be the way to do it if you could figure out how to make them work in a balanced manner.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
While I think Rayman would be great, I believe that if there were plans to include him, they'd have timed the AC and Rabbids Miis with him and not Byleth. So I'm not very confident in him right now. That could change, though.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Well. Here's some possible release dates for ARMS based on my Amiibo Theory Mathematical Models!
1587656728630.png

Again... don't take it face value. It's just math. So it's an approximation. If anything doesn't make "conventional sense", that's to be expected as this is meant to aid predictions, not make them directly.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
Shamelessly stealing this from the "Build your Avengers team!" game on twitter, but I'm generally unoriginal so I think this should work out:

Build your own Smash DLC!

The rules are simple. You get $15 to spend on your selection of DLC characters. Every character is priced from $1 to $5 based on no objective criteria beyond my own judgement of "yeah, this seems right here". There's no bonus for having excess money, so try to make every dollar count!

• Dante
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Sora
  • Master Chief
  • Unique Third Party character not listed in the other categories

• 2B
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Chris/Jill/Leon
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Waluigi
  • Issac
  • Kazuma Kiryu
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Geno
  • Doom Marine
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Unique Nintendo character not listed in the other categories

• Rex and Pyra
  • Sol Badguy
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Heihachi
  • Ray-Man
  • Monster Hunter
  • Amaterasu
  • Lara Croft
  • Steve
  • Dixie Kong
  • Neku

• Paper Mario
  • Gen 8 Pokemon of your choosing
  • Sub-Zero/Scorpion
  • Arle
  • Shantae
  • Porky
  • Elma
  • KOS-MOS
  • Skull Kid
  • Reimu
  • Bomberman
  • A Ken-style Echo Fighter of your choosing

• Bubsy
  • Gex
  • Tingle
  • Shiori Fujisaki
  • Breath of the Wild Zelda
  • Sandbag
  • Daisy/Richter-style echo of your choosing
AN ENTIRE CHILDHOOD OF MINMAXING MY ALLOWANCE PURCHASE CHOICES FOR OPTIMAL ACTION FIGURE PAIRINGS HAS PREPARED ME FOR THIS GAUNTLET, BEHOLD:

$5 - Crash
$4 - 2B
$2 - Shantae
$2 - Tie between either Centiskorch or Dragapult
$1 - Gex (Intelleon swearing in the distance)
$1 - Medusa (Palu Echo)

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Whatcha mean?
Just constant wining and moaning but that's what I have come to expect. I've learnt to view it as humour just so I didn't find myself running round in circles getting into pointless arguments which I won't win. As forbassists, yeah I think they're fine. I'll just use the already beaten to death excuse which is the obligatory 'better than nothing'.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

To be fair honestly what could help in his favor is Nintendo's and Ubisoft's great relationship. Whose to say Nintendo wouldn't add him under their favor or request?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Any updates from Vergeben about the LoL thing? In a different thread obviously as the original one was deleted by the mods

RocksteadyBebop

Banned via Warnings
Just constant wining and moaning but that's what I have come to expect. I've learnt to view it as humour just so I didn't find myself running round in circles getting into pointless arguments which I won't win. As forbassists, yeah I think they're fine. I'll just use the already beaten to death excuse which is the obligatory 'better than nothing'.
Are you taking about me complain or him? Cause quite frankly I don’t care regardless who is an assist or not.

but I do agree with you, friend.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
ATs would need to be severely nerfed and probably only do one attack.
Not neccesarily, balance it around how useful the assists are, Takamaru's one of the better ones in terms of power and moves, so he gets less uses than the average one whereas Starfy gets significantly more than Takamaru and because he does less, he stays out longer

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Are you taking about me complain or him? Cause quite frankly I don’t care regardless who is an assist or not.

but I do agree with you, friend.
Oh no, I'm talking about Wynn. Despite only joining the site about a year ago he has somehow managed to make a name for himself. I apologise for any confusion tho

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That or you could only choose certain weaker AT's instead.

But still have a regular AT option.

That would be the easiest on the development team too to implement an extra mode/option for it. Trying to redo tons of AT's to "balance 'em out" takes a lot of time and playtesting. That's not a good option for the current game. That'd be a neat idea to have two sets of AT's in the later game, though.

However, the item version should stay in. Smash is a chaotic game at heart. RNG is a huge part of it(and always why items are removed from certain types of tournaments, not just due to some being a bit overpowered by design like the Hammer). That's the norm and it has worked for 6 games straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom