• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, no disagreement here. Except that Bass wouldn't be an Echo. Proto Man is Mega Man with a shield. Bass has an 8-way buster and an X-style dash.
But I say keep this game going!
Street Fighter: Chun-Li, Guile, Akuma.
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man ε, Pac-Man Jr. (Think Young Link to Link), Blinky (Alts for Pinky, Inky, and Clyde).
Final Fantasy: Zack Fair ε, Sephiroth, Black Mage, Noctis, Chokobo.
Metal Gear: Raiden, Gray Fox.
Bayonetta: Jeanne ε, Rodin.
Fatal Fury: Andy, Joe, Geese, Kyo.
Persona: Minato, Demi-fiend, Morgana
Dragon Quest: Separate Hero into four separate Luigified characters Erdrick, Solo, Eight, and Eleven, Slime.
Banjo-Kazooie: Tootie, Mumbo, Gruntilda.
Mega Man: Zero
Sonic: Shadow, Tails, Dr. Eggman. If you want to go crazy Amy, too.
Street Fighter: Chun-Li
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man
Final Fantasy: My brain says Zach but my heart says Aerith.
Metal Gear: Raiden
Bayonetta: Jeanne. Please, my children are dying.
Fatal Fury: Geese Howard
Persona: Yu and Aegis. Also, can we stop calling SMT characters as Persona characters?
Dragon Quest: A clone of Hero with female protags this time, don't @ me.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think Samus is a good comparison for Steve because you can’t see her face ingame and yet you still feel at least a bit of her personality, even if you didn’t know who she was playing Smash 64, which should be enough to get people to open up to the idea of Steve expressing personality through how he moves his body like in official videos/animations on Instagram and that fanmade Smash animation video I shared; plus, Steve actually can move his eyes and stuff, too, and he could make sounds. But no, everyone is going to be uncreative and willfully ignorant (no matter how many times I share or point out even official examples) and assume Steve is nothing but a plank of wood and that’s literally it.

It’s fine to see Steve’s design as “boring”/just not like him in general but good gosh stop pushing this false idea that he somehow doesn’t have even the slightest bit of personality despite how Mojang uses him and Alex in some stuffs and how all the mobs in Minecraft feel like they have personality despite most never changing their face.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
As a Steve supporter, I have to say that I'm glad Banjo got in the game first. The salt would have been real had Steve been the first chosen Microsoft rep and arguably Banjo supporters deserved their character more since they had supported him for years and years well before Steve would have ever looked like a viable candidate. I think some of the Banjo fans were childish for attacking Steve supporters that were surely much younger than them and using that grotesque Steve image (I still don't get how some people believe Steve supporters were the ones using that image, what fan base would want to parade their character around looking like that?) but at the end of the day I'm glad that Banjo fans just got their character.

Now I just hope that if Steve does get in, Banjo fans are willing to accept it with open arms especially since they might owe Banjo getting in Smash to Minecraft.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Piranha Plant. **** you. (Jk. I love you.)

Well, it appears (don't wanna fan rule myself into a corner) that characters can only get one Echo, and Proto Man is far closer to Mega than Bass is. Proto Man is literally Mega Man with a shield, so he's a much better Echo. And since the list included Proto Man AND Bass, Bass gets the Luigi treatment.
The only Piranha Plant with identity is Petey who has a different body compared to other Piranha Plants unlike Vivi who's literally the default Black Mage but with an identity alongside being a fanfavourite character.

Anyway as for 'if third parties were as well off as first parties' my picks would be...

:ultsnake:Raiden
:ultsonic:Blaze, Shadow, Omega, Eggman, Metal Sonic, Tails and Knuckles
:ultmegaman:Proto Man, Bass, Zero, Vile, Axl and Sigma
:ultryu:Chun-Li, Poison, Dudley, Makoto, Blanka, Zangief, Juri, Bison, Rashid and 5Seth
:ultcloud:Cecil, Kain, Terra, Tifa, Barret, Vivi, Kuja, Tidus, Yuna and Lightning
:ultbayonetta:Jeanne, Rodin, Baldur and Masked Lumen
:ultsimon:Shanoa, Alucard, Soma, Charlotte, Sypha and Dracula
:ulthero:Erik, Jessica, 5 Protag and fem!Erdrick
:ult_terry:Kyo, Iori, Rock, Geese, Leona, Nakoruru, Fio, K-, Mature, Vice and Rugal

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'm not averse to treating 3rd party series like they were first party, but it shouldn't happen all at once. Blatant favoritism isn't looked fondly upon.

But if we're talking hypotheticals then the Mega Man series should end up with at least Mega Man, Proto Man Σ, Bass Σ, Dr. Wily, X, Zero, and Sigma.
All those Megaman characters and you couldn’t include Roll and Tron Bonne despite their history of appearing in crossover fighting games.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The only Piranha Plant with identity is Petey who has a different body compared to other Piranha Plants unlike Vivi who's literally the default Black Mage but with an identity alongside being a fanfavourite character.
But Vivi from TTYD isn't a Piranha Plant.

All those Megaman characters and you couldn’t include Roll and Tron Bonne despite their history of appearing in crossover fighting games.
Dude I want Tron Bonne too. She would be awesome with her mach and Servbots at her side.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
But to Steve's naysayers, bring up one valid argument as to why Steve couldn't work in Smash, aside from the typical "He's an avatar" or "He is too stiff and boring".
How about two arguments? Building and mining. Those are the two core fundamentals of Minecraft which make it what it is and what it was all about since it's creation.

Let's just say hypothetically that they port all of the Minecraft mechanics directly into Super Smash Bros and everything including Steve works exactly like it does in Minecraft. Obviously there would be problems right off the bat but we'll work from there until we get a better understanding of what works and what doesn't work.

With mining, you'd have to redo all 108 stages to make the way he mines work and that in itself causes problems as he could potentially level stages by just breaking all of the parts of the stage until there is nothing left. Not to mention that not every stage is going to support grid by grid block breaking as they present other shapes than cubes.

Then you have building where he can build blocks anywhere on the stage he wants and depending on the toughness of the blocks he uses can stall games and he can ledge trap opponents by just placing a wall of blocks in the way.

I think Samus is a good comparison for Steve because you can’t see her face ingame and yet you still feel at least a bit of her personality, even if you didn’t know who she was playing Smash 64, which should be enough to get people to open up to the idea of Steve expressing personality through how he moves his body like in official videos/animations on Instagram and that fanmade Smash animation video I shared; plus, Steve actually can move his eyes and stuff, too, and he could make sounds. But no, everyone is going to be uncreative and willfully ignorant (no matter how many times I share or point out even official examples) and assume Steve is nothing but a plank of wood and that’s literally it.
Samus isn't a good comparison because
1. She wears a helmet unlike Steve.
2. Zero Suit Samus is the non-suited version of Samus, thus we can see her face.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Wow! Splendid work! Makes me want to see Kat get in even more. I think she and Kratos are Sony reps that'd be awesome to be in Smash. :grin:
Most likely 3rd Party you say?

In all honesty I’m not sold Hayabusa is the most likely but seeing how Koei-Tecmo has been putting in work with Nintendo for like the 12th year in a row, I think it’s time for them to get a character and, well, there’s really no one better.
Makes lot of sense. Among the last NES icons yet to not be in Smash and Tecmo has an fantastic relationship with Nintendo especially playing a part in helping them and Sakurai make Smash.

In that case I'd say Ryu Hayabusa, Crash and Master Chief/Steve are probably the three most likely 3rd party characters to make it into the game next.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
My heart of hearts knows that another FF rep should probably be Vivi based on moveset potential and aesthetic differences alone, plus he's a great character from a great game, but the part of me that truly loves Final Fantasy 8 wants Squall in everything ever. I'd love to see the GFs and Drawing incorporated into his moveset somehow, maybe a resource management gimmick.

I mean, I loved the moveset but it still makes navigating the page super hard and that many embeds will murder the mobile device.

You can post something really well-thought-out and still put it in a spoiler tag and use links. Just saying.
what kind of phones do y'all have because I exclusively post on mobile and mobile does collapse the gifs into quotes. Smashboards potato version. I've never understood that argument. I'm not saying more spoiler tags would've been fine but the reaction was ****ty as hell and off topic and the "mobile users" argument feels like a boogeyman.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
My heart of hearts knows that another FF rep should probably be Vivi based on moveset potential and aesthetic differences alone, plus he's a great character from a great game, but the part of me that truly loves Final Fantasy 8 wants Squall in everything ever. I'd love to see the GFs and Drawing incorporated into his moveset somehow, maybe a resource management gimmick.

what kind of phones do y'all have because I exclusively post on mobile and mobile does collapse the gifs into quotes. Smashboards potato version. I've never understood that argument. I'm not saying more spoiler tags would've been fine but the reaction was ****ty as hell and off topic and the "mobile users" argument feels like a boogeyman.
Squall's gimmick is being the best looking guy of the roster

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
No way, a Mii costume for Steve would look like ass. A Mii costume would bend the arms and legs which goes against the charm and aesthetic of Minecraft. Even Minecraft Dungeons, a game that is focused entirely on combat, doesn't break the bending rule and makes sure to follow it.

As a matter of fact, the opening cinematic follows the rule so diligently that it does it even in a situation where the knee would bend.
View attachment 269469
Having a character in a fighting game who can't bend their limbs will also look terrible, can't really make them look that dynamic when compare to all the other playable characters. Plus with some effort you can have a Mii Costume just be a bunch of blocks without them bending limbs.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Having a character in a fighting game who can't bend their limbs will also look terrible, can't really make them look that dynamic when compare to all the other playable characters. Plus with some effort you can have a Mii Costume just be a bunch of blocks without them bending limbs.
Idk man the game already has deliberstely blocky animations, this really isn't an issue for Steve as seen with Pit's Hammer animation, with a hopping 2 whole frames of animation when standing still.

Also I liked the Gravity Rush moveset and am glad we finally managed to get an interesting topic here for the first time in a while

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
They’d have to make a new type of mii or put in extra programming for that to work, effectively making it so they may as well just make him a new character. They could probably keep the limbs stiff on a basic mii but idk how weapons would be held without them disconnecting from the arms assuming the miis are coded like a model template.

And imo Steve can be very dynamic even with stiff limbs based on those animations I showed you.

How about two arguments? Building and mining. Those are the two core fundamentals of Minecraft which make it what it is and what it was all about since it's creation.

Let's just say hypothetically that they port all of the Minecraft mechanics directly into Super Smash Bros and everything including Steve works exactly like it does in Minecraft. Obviously there would be problems right off the bat but we'll work from there until we get a better understanding of what works and what doesn't work.

With mining, you'd have to redo all 108 stages to make the way he mines work and that in itself causes problems as he could potentially level stages by just breaking all of the parts of the stage until there is nothing left. Not to mention that not every stage is going to support grid by grid block breaking as they present other shapes than cubes.

Then you have building where he can build blocks anywhere on the stage he wants and depending on the toughness of the blocks he uses can stall games and he can ledge trap opponents by just placing a wall of blocks in the way.

Samus isn't a good comparison because
1. She wears a helmet unlike Steve.
2. Zero Suit Samus is the non-suited version of Samus, thus we can see her face.
Steve doesn’t have to mine stages, he can just place blocks and mine them and use an entire arsenal of other items (the various tools and weapons, minecarts, fireworks, ender pearls, etc.), maybe craft some. They could easily balance block-placing by limiting the amount he can have onstage, how much damage they can take before breaking (they could take damage if a fighter gets hit against them, too), and maybe a timer on each block before it disappears. This still lets players be creative with set-ups but it wouldn’t be OP.

And I still think Samus works, because even if you didn’t know who she was in Smash 64 or Melee and haven’t seen her outside of her suit, you could still feel personality from her movements. You don’t need facial expressions to convey personality and Steve can do facial expressions anyway so it honestly confuses me why this is even a talking point. You can also see personality in design, sounds, and behavior (body movement falls under this I guess).

And we could also use Game & Watch as an example. I think R.O.B. works too since his eyes barely change except when he’s hurt or something.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Wow, a few days ago I said wanted a stance based character, looks like you had the answer! Also I’m glad you went in detail with the normals, those are often overlooked.

If Kat ever made it in, I expect that they would have streamline her powers a bit since Smash usually likes the keep things on the simpler side. Honestly her unique jumps and gravity meter alone are probably enough to make her play overwhelmingly unique in smash.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I've seen some people here say that Sora is deconfirmed. That is absolutely not the case. The thing about Disney denying Nintendo the rights to Sora is purely speculation by Imran Khan. Here he states he fully believes that Sora or Master Chief will part of Fighter Pass Vol. 2.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I've seen some people here say that Sora is deconfirmed. That is absolutely not the case. The thing about Disney denying Nintendo the rights to Sora is purely speculation by Imran Khan. Here he states he fully believes that Sora or Master Chief will part of Fighter Pass Vol. 2.
Wasn't the narrative behind that "Nintendo tried getting Sora but Disney said no, likely for Smash 4"? I wish it was a disconfirmation but it is indeed a sign that Disney's stingier than NoA

Freduardo

Smash Champion
If third parties were treated like first parties:

Sonic (gets treated like Mario): Tails (Luigi), Amy (Peach), Eggman (Bowser), Knuckles (Donkey Kong), Metal Sonic (Dr Mario), Moto Bug (P. Plant), Chao (Bowser Jr.), Cream and Cheese (Rosaluma), Shadow (Yoshi). People will want Blaze (Waluigi) but she will be an assist trophy forever.

Street Fighter (... Since Nintendo didn’t have fighting games till Smash, don’t know what this gets treated like. Let’s say Zelda): Evil Ryu (Toon Link), Akuma (Young Link), M Bison (Ganondorf... so for no reason, he is a clone of Mega Man), Chun Li (Zelda), Cammy (Sheik)

Final Fantasy: (Gets Treated like Earthbound) They add Squall and he’s a semi-clone of Cloud.

Dragon Quest (Gets treated like Earthbound): they add Slime.... and he’s a semi-clone of Luminary.

Bayonetta (Gets treated like Xenoblade) - They add no one and make a mii costume for some characters (Hey! They did this!)

Mega Man (Gets treated like Kirby): They add Bass (Meta Knight), and Wily (Dedede), leaving people to forever wonder why Protoman and Roll (Gooey and Bandana Dee) will never make it in.

Castlevania (Gets treated like Metroid): They add in Alucard (Zero Suit), they already have Richter for Dark Samus, and after years of saying no, they add Dracula in a dwarfed version of his boss fight form.

Banjo/Rare (Gets treated like Donkey Kong): They add Conker and Gruntilda.

Metal Gear (gets treated like Star Fox): They add Old Man Snake and another Snake.

Persona: (Gets treated like fire emblem. So they add a lot of characters, but most just play like Joker).

King of Fighters: (Gets treated like Pokemon) Everyone who missed grabbing that letter in Terry’s trailer grabs the damn letter.

Pac Man: (Gets treated like Duck Hunt) they add nothing.

Bomberman and Shovel Knight: (Get treated like punch out): playable in the next game.

Rayman: (Gets treated like Star Tropics): Is not in the game.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
A big ass post with lots of embeds can mess with loading the page a lot, even on a fairly high end PC. It's definitely a valid concern.
That said, the response to it was utterly embarrassing. If your only response to a long post is "Holy **** what a big post" instead of actually engaging with the content then please shut the **** up.

RocksteadyBebop

Banned via Warnings
Technically speaking, R.O.B can’t bend his limbs

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I almost forgot to post but that was a really excellent moveset KatKit KatKit . You went in deep and made a moveset so intricate and well designed that it made me want to see Kat in Smash as well. Just yesterday I was discussing with someone the possibility of a character that could change the mechanics of jumping and floating, and right just now it's a core part of the moveset you made.

The moveset you made has stance changing, resource management, and a unique float mechanic, you pretty much let your creativity go lose which is always something I love to see from people in the community. I can tell you put in so much love and care when writing that moveset.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
A big ass post with lots of embeds can mess with loading the page a lot, even on a fairly high end PC. It's definitely a valid concern.
That said, the response to it was utterly embarrassing. If your only response to a long post is "Holy **** what a big post" instead of actually engaging with the content then please shut the **** up.
Yeah, as a general rule, if someone puts a ton of effort into a post, a response that isn't inherently supportive should take a similar amount of effort to warrant existing.

Like, literally all it takes to make note of a post's size is looking at it. Pointing out that it's a big post and then not saying anything meaningful about it is useless spam to +1 your post count.

Especially since Kat's really cool and to undermine the post like that is just kinda ****ty. It's a text based forum, people. Read.

Anyway as for 'if third parties were as well off as first parties' my picks would be...

:ultsnake:Raiden
:ultsonic:Blaze, Shadow, Omega, Eggman, Metal Sonic, Tails and Knuckles
:ultmegaman:Proto Man, Bass, Zero, Vile, Axl and Sigma
:ultryu:Chun-Li, Poison, Dudley, Makoto, Blanka, Zangief, Juri, Bison, Rashid and 5Seth
:ultcloud:Cecil, Kain, Terra, Tifa, Barret, Vivi, Kuja, Tidus, Yuna and Lightning
:ultbayonetta:Jeanne, Rodin, Baldur and Masked Lumen
:ultsimon:Shanoa, Alucard, Soma, Charlotte, Sypha and Dracula
:ulthero:Erik, Jessica, 5 Protag and fem!Erdrick
:ult_terry:Kyo, Iori, Rock, Geese, Leona, Nakoruru, Fio, K-, Mature, Vice and Rugal
My biased side would throw in Eric for Castlevania as well. :p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah, as a general rule, if someone puts a ton of effort into a post, a response that isn't inherently supportive should take a similar amount of effort to warrant existing.

Like, literally all it takes to make note of a post's size is looking at it. Pointing out that it's a big post and then not saying anything meaningful about it is useless spam to +1 your post count.

Especially since Kat's really cool and to undermine the post like that is just kinda ****ty. It's a text based forum, people. Read.

My biased side would throw in Eric for Castlevania as well. :p
I mean, I haven't played Bloodlines yet and Eric isn't playable in Portrait of Ruin despite being a rather important character there (Yet Richter and Maria are playable for some ****in reason).

Also show us how truly biased you can be, I'd like to say I held back a bit by adding Kain over Freya but Kuja, Charlotte and Leona are proof of the contrary

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Steve doesn’t have to mine stages, he can just place blocks and mine them and use an entire arsenal of other items (the various tools and weapons, minecarts, fireworks, ender pearls, etc.), maybe craft some. They could easily balance block-placing by limiting the amount he can have onstage, how much damage they can take before breaking (they could take damage if a fighter gets hit against them, too), and maybe a timer on each block before it disappears. This still lets players be creative with set-ups but it wouldn’t be OP.
Where is Steve going to get the blocks from? If he has them from the start that entirely defeats the purpose of mining for them because he can already place them down as blocks.

Also most blocks can float so Steve can keep placing them on top of each other and never be touched. Them disappearing won't matter when he can keep stacking blocks upwards.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, I haven't played Bloodlines yet and Eric isn't playable in Portrait of Ruin despite being a rather important character there (Yet Richter and Maria are playable for some ****in reason).

Also show us how truly biased you can be, I'd like to say I held back a bit by adding Kain over Freya but Kuja, Charlotte and Leona are proof of the contrary
Honestly we have pretty similar tastes lmao. The only ones I'd personally add if I were going full bias mode would be Eric, Dhalsim, Rab, and Haru lmao. Long range lancer, stretchy limbs and yoga fire, magical Scottish grandpa, and a lady with an axe and a grenade launcher. :p

Trevenant

Smash Lord
No one is really mentioning it here from what I can see and that was a rumour from the start of Feb. Everyone pretty much established that it was just him speculating as either shortly before or after he straight up said he predicts either Sora or Chief so unless he had a bug in his ear and was being alerted real time for new info which coincidentally happened right after/ before he said he predicted Sora or Chief and also was chill enough to not give any visual indication as to being given the info. The prediction excuse that people were using around the time the podcast came out was definitely a fairly weak one. Either way I am really legitimately curious as to where you saw people bring it up for it to be warranted mentioning?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Where is Steve going to get the blocks from? If he has them from the start that entirely defeats the purpose of mining for them because he can already place them down as blocks.

Also most blocks can float so Steve can keep placing them on top of each other and never be touched. Them disappearing won't matter when he can keep stacking blocks upwards.
An idea I had a while ago is that Steve has access to a sword and a pickaxe which can be swapped at any time, the sword does more damage than the axe but the axe gets you materials when you hit people with it, down B is a crafting table and shows a menu for blocks or equipment upgrades, meaning players get to choose between stage control with the blocks, more power by upgrading the sword or getting more materials on hit by uograding the axe, the upgrades and higher tiers of blocks can be very useful but obvioisly take more resources and you lose equipment upgrades when you lose a stock, all the blocks have different properties but gravity will still influence them

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

He could mine them to get them back, or they could drop from opponents and into his inventory when he attacks them.

If they do disappear, then even if he can keep stacking them in the air instead of having to connect to the stage he’ll still be limited in the number he can place so he can’t build an OP wall. An opponent can destroy his blocks too, and they really could just make it so his blocks have to connect to the top or side of the stage in order for him to place more so he doesn’t camp underneath (or say he gets 3 blocks max, so he couldn’t camp underneath the stage anyway due to lack of space; and if the blocks are limited in his inventory, then camping like that wouldn’t be a problem anyway since he’ll either have to come back and fight or die).

edit: like Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen mentioned though, they could just all be influenced by gravity tbh so they really will have to be touching the stage. Really like that crafting idea btw.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Here's my list of additions to Third Party Franchises. Gonna try and limit myself to 4 new editions per franchise, otherwise I'd probably give Mega Man and Dragon Quest 20 reps. Ken and Richter don't count for already being in the game:
:ultsnake:: Raiden, Naked Snake (echo)
:ultsonic:: Eggman, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow (echo)
:ultmegaman:: Proto Man (echo), Dr. Wily, X, Zero
:ultpacman:: Ms. Pac-Man (echo)
:ultryu:: :ultken:, Chun-Li, Alex, Juri, Rashid (one rep per mainline game)
:ultcloud:: Cecil, Terra, Zack (echo), Squall
:ultbayonetta:: Jeanne (echo)
:ultsimon:: :ultrichter:, Alucard, Soma Cruz, Shanoa, Dracula
:ultjoker:: Yu, Minato (assuming SMT characters are off the table)
:ulthero:: Slime, Madason, Jessica, Erik
:ultbanjokazooie:: Gruntilda
:ult_terry:: Andy, Joe, Mai, Geese (assuming just Fatal Fury is on the table)

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
When people are making dumb arguments about how a Steve moveset wouldn't work:

I doubt it'll change minds if the 50 other quality Steve movesets didn't, but it's worth a shot.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Can we talk about Steve and Minecraft without having the 451st discussion about how "Steve can't be in Smash because: Minecraft's art style doesn't work in Smash/His limbs can't bend/He doesn't express emotions/I don't like Minecraft"? Thanks
"Can we please have a pro-Steve echo chamber?"

osby

Smash Obsessed
How's that "stop making half-asses, tired pseudo arguments to pass your dislike as a legitimate point against a character's chances" is the same thing as building an echo chamber for you?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
No it’s more like “can yall please actually have legitimate arguments if you’re gonna pass your opinion as fact?” All the arguments that “go against” Steve are poorly-researched arguments that are entirely opinionated anyway, especially the moveset one since it should be pretty clear he has a huge arsenal to pick from. And when Steve is brought up, it’s already an echo chamber of Steve supporters/people who are open to him trying to explain how he’d work with Mojang’s work itself already disproving the arguments people have against him, and the echo chamber is always caused by the people against him.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As far as the Minecraft block thing goes, I'd say that all Up Specials would instantly break any blocks if they hit from below (or maybe even from the side) even if it doesn't have a hitbox like Rosalina's Launch Star. This would also apply to all ledge getup options, so you couldn't limit them with your blocks, or at least not prevent them.

Well, it appears (don't wanna fan rule myself into a corner) that characters can only get one Echo, and Proto Man is far closer to Mega than Bass is. Proto Man is literally Mega Man with a shield, so he's a much better Echo. And since the list included Proto Man AND Bass, Bass gets the Luigi treatment.
Hey, I wouldn't be complaining if he was a semi-clone instead. Though I don't see any reason why there can't be two Echo Fighters for one base character. I mean, Melee Mario had two clones in Luigi and Dr. Mario so...

But yeah, if there was enough resources to make Bass (and Proto Man as well) a semi-clone that uses different weapons then I'd be all for that.

I don't consider them as a part of the essentials, but Roll and Tron would both make my list if we were expanding even further. I'd also throw in Lan & Mega Man.exe (though Lan wouldn't actually do any fighting).

EDIT: I forgot about Vile. I don't really know much about Mega Man ZX so I'd have to do more research to sell myself on that. I'm also not sure what Mega Man (Starforce) does, but his design is pretty cool to me. Going even further beyond, I'd start adding important/popular normal bosses like Magma Dragoon and Pharaoh Man.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
SNK is a weird company because the more casual gamer knows nothing about it, but the gamer with a bit more knowledge about gaming history (or the fighting game fan) will tell you all about how they're secretly one of the most influential companies in history. The truth is somewhere in between, of course, but it's an interesting phenomenon to behold.

It's probably because it's such easy knowledge to flex your gaming historian creds (Did you know there's this company that made like 8 different fighting game series at the same time? They had their own console and everything. Oh, and they're the guys that made Metal Slug). I guess with a story like that, a bit of exaggeration is understandable, and also they're games that breed that sort of devotion quality-wise.
I think the reason some people put them in abnormally high regard is because there is a character in Smash. There's this tendency to defend every character (except Fire Emblem I guess) as if it was SUPER OBVIOUS the character should be in. Like everyone immediately circles the wagon the minute Sakurai adds anything. I feel thats the same with Terry. This is why people got upset when they said "Who's that". It's a legitimate issue with having an SNK character and the only thing apologist can do is to act shocked an elevate SNK to this ungodly level.

It begs the question: if SNK was so popular today, why are they not popular now. Most of the time games go out of style due to a lack of quality. But was there really a bad SNK game? They still make King of Fighters and I don't see anyone clamoring for games like Fatal Fury or Metal Slug. Maybe the reason they became irrelevant was there games were never that good in the first place. Maybe Fatal Fury and SNK only caught on because of Street Fighter.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Steve as a ROB echo confirmed.

Seriously, I really expected a Minecraft stage at least. It'd be fun to have a dynamic stage like that or Tetris.
There's been no stage DLC separated from characters. In fact, all the DLC were modes, patches, a single bonus character(more have a very tiny chance of coming), and full character packs. It's not all that likely. We probably are going those 6 and they'll do nothing more like their intentions currently are.

Obviously I do want Steve, but I wouldn't have been disappointed in a base game stage, at least. I'd expect more beyond that(costume, spirits, at least) cause it's pretty much one of the biggest games in the world and all.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

To be fair, you don't need the stages to be mine-able. Steve could just have an inventory where he can place blocks and then have a pickaxe to mine those blocks. He also would be limited in blocks. Of course they won't allow him to have twenty blocks so he can surround himself or build an impossibly tall wall. At the most they will give him about 5 blocks he can put down and if ledge blocking is an issue, they can have the blocks be easily destroyed or have the ledge still be grab-able.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
As a Steve supporter, I have to say that I'm glad Banjo got in the game first. The salt would have been real had Steve been the first chosen Microsoft rep and arguably Banjo supporters deserved their character more since they had supported him for years and years well before Steve would have ever looked like a viable candidate. I think some of the Banjo fans were childish for attacking Steve supporters that were surely much younger than them and using that grotesque Steve image (I still don't get how some people believe Steve supporters were the ones using that image, what fan base would want to parade their character around looking like that?) but at the end of he day I'm glad that Banjo fans just got their character.

Now I just hope that if Steve does get in, Banjo fans are willing to accept it with open arms especially since they might owe Banjo getting in Smash to Minecraft.
Eh, I'd be fine with it and I think the moveset can be done well, but most of what I've seen so far from fanmade movesets hasn't impressed me. So I'm neutral on Steve, really.

That said, I do think he is one of the frontrunners for a western character in Season 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom