• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm also on team "We're getting one big third party and that's it". We only got one really big, mainstream character last time and that was Hero, so I assume history is going to repeat itself on this one. Maybe we'll get another big name if Nintendo really wants to go all out.

I'm feeling Crash, with Heihachi as a close second. It could definitely be someone like Master Chief or Dante as well, but I'd put money on one of those two.
Realistically if Smash is gonna get one more western character. It'll be Crash. He has everything going for him.

Popularity (Both east and west), iconic, video game mascot, big in the 90s, rivalry and history with Nintendo (Originally the Sony mascot and rivalry with Mario and Sonic) and moveset potential which fits the criteria of fun. Activision and Nintendo also seems to be on good terms IIRC.

I'd also argue he's the only 3rd party that Smash is missing (Like how Dixie, Toad and Bandana Dee are considered the remaining Nintendo All-Stars) and "Deserving".

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Realistically if Smash is gonna get one more western character. It'll be Crash. He has everything going for him.

Popularity (Both east and west), iconic, video game mascot, big in the 90s, rivalry and history with Nintendo (Originally the Sony mascot and rivalry with Mario and Sonic) and moveset potential which fits the criteria of fun. Activision and Nintendo also seems to be on good terms IIRC.

I'd also argue he's the only 3rd party that Smash is missing (Like how Dixie, Toad and Bandana Dee are considered the remaining Nintendo All-Stars) and "Deserving".
Speaking of Crash, ya think we'll get that theme song in the Japanese ads in Smash if he gets in?

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
That's not exactly less confusing than what you said before. Can we get some context?
From what i can read, it seems to be a case of loophole abuse (or at least an attempt)

Sakurai has never specifically stated "Toy Characters are not allowed in Smash". Sakurai has specifically stated "no Manga Characters" back in the Brawl Days, in Smash 4 he denied the likes of Spongebob and Goku, and lastly in Smash Ultimate, Iron Man.

So he has denied the pass to Anime/Manga characters ,Western Cartoon Characters and Comic Book characters, but never said no to a Toy character (Transformers originates from toys) in if you count Video Games as Toys (plus R.O.B who could be argued to be a toy, even though he's more of a Console Pheriperal), then Optimus Could be a choice.

Not that i think this logic makes sense, because this sounds really really stupid.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
From what i can read, it seems to be a case of loophole abuse (or at least an attempt)

Sakurai has never specifically stated "Toy Characters are not allowed in Smash". Sakurai has specifically stated "no Manga Characters" back in the Brawl Days, in Smash 4 he denied the likes of Spongebob and Goku, and lastly in Smash Ultimate, Iron Man.

So he has denied the pass to Anime/Manga characters ,Western Cartoon Characters and Comic Book characters, but never said no to a Toy character (Transformers originates from toys) in if you count Video Games as Toys (plus R.O.B who could be argued to be a toy, even though he's more of a Console Pheriperal), then Optimus Could be a choice.

Not that i think this logic makes sense, because this sounds really really stupid.
...R.O.B. did start as a toy.
Well, this got really weird really quickly.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think we're going to be getting two "big" third parties at the most. One of them would be Dante or some other Capcom character, they seem easy to work with. The other one... I'm leaning Steve, Minecraft is absolutely massive, and the biggest hurdle has already been leapt.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Another grey area character?

*inhales deeply*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Oh definitely. The odds of getting a TF2 rep are next to none, but its always been a pipe dream of mine, really just something I made for the fun of it.
I'm not the one that usually cares about representation in smash but it would genuinely make my day if Valve got the SNK treatment if one of their characters got in.

A TF2 rep would be my #1 pick if I had the faintest idea of who they'd choose and how they would play. It wouldn't be Team Fortress 2 if you were fighting by yourself but I don't know how you'd fit all 9 mercs in one moveset. They'd probably go with a more conventional pick Gordon or Chell, which I'm also all for.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
I'm not the one that usually cares about representation in smash but it would genuinely make my day if Valve got the SNK treatment if one of their characters got in.

A TF2 rep would be my #1 pick if I had the faintest idea of who they'd choose and how they would play. It wouldn't be Team Fortress 2 if you were fighting by yourself but I don't know how you'd fit all 9 mercs in one moveset. They'd probably go with a more conventional pick Gordon or Chell, which I'm also all for.
Same! and coincidentally enough, I've done movesets for all three of those!

The Team all in one:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49782749761/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/48975649392/in/dateposted-public/

Gordon Freeman:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49200431913/in/dateposted-public/

And Chell:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49200911026/in/dateposted-public/

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think I can really say there's any particular third-party who's most likely. There are way too many options to consider. Most of the characters people are bringing up have been tossed around since Ultimate was first announced. Some of them go all the way back to Smash 4's DLC.

Not saying we won't get a popular request, but the stuff this thread was predicting for the first pass compared to what we actually got is nothing to brag about.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Speaking of Crash, ya think we'll get that theme song in the Japanese ads in Smash if he gets in?
Man, I hope so. That thing is extremely catchy. Plus, Smash is fine with borrowing from non-game materials, provided the character themselves originates from a video game (Cloud with his Advent Children costume, Terry having his metal plate from the OVA in one of his alts, every Pokemon being characterized to match their closest counterpart in the anime, etc.).

That being said, they didn't bring it back for the Japanese N. Sane Trilogy IIRC. So it probably won't happen. I think Sony might've also had a hand in those commercials, so that'll complicate things.

Update: I just checked it out, no Crash theme for the Japanese N. Sane Trilogy :(. Just localized text and the dubbed voice overs. Which is a shame, because the Japanese PS1 Crash games made so many little changes that made them their own, strange beast.

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Gordon or Chell would work. the Team would probably take the gimmick away from Pokemon Trainer though. Some value in keeping them unique.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Unironically trade every FF7 Song in smash and put all negotiations into getting this single song in smash

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It would only shock you if you took a time machine from the 90s to today. SNK hasn't been relevant for the better part of a decade. Their bread and butter was fighting games and only lasted up to the mid-90s as the craze died out. Fighting games have been on a decline. Even then, SNK was left behind in the fighting game scene. Companies like Namco, Capcom, and Arc Systems are far and beyond more relevant. The only fighting game claim to fame they've had recently is Samurai Showdown which will probably see massive decline at EVO this year as folks don't care that much anymore. I'm sure a lot of people in this thread don't realize there was another King of Fighters game announced at EVO because no one cares about King of Fighters.

SNK was relevant only for a small amount of time and if you weren't specifically involved in fighting games they you wouldn't know who they are or care. How is it a surprise folks wouldn't know a company who's biggest claim to fame in recent years was one Samurai game and a bunch of re-releases on Switch. I never got this mentality where people would clutch their pearl when someone didn't know who SNK was, as if they committed an egregious sin. Some people can't put things into perspective I guess.
SNK is a weird company because the more casual gamer knows nothing about it, but the gamer with a bit more knowledge about gaming history (or the fighting game fan) will tell you all about how they're secretly one of the most influential companies in history. The truth is somewhere in between, of course, but it's an interesting phenomenon to behold.

It's probably because it's such easy knowledge to flex your gaming historian creds (Did you know there's this company that made like 8 different fighting game series at the same time? They had their own console and everything. Oh, and they're the guys that made Metal Slug). I guess with a story like that, a bit of exaggeration is understandable, and also they're games that breed that sort of devotion quality-wise.

Unironically trade every FF7 Song in smash and put all negotiations into getting this single song in smash
Wow, you're trading all two songs?!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
They had their own console and everything.
A whole $600 console with a $200 cartridge per game.

Hyper Neo Geo 64 was even more bonkers than that, and it only had seven games. Eat your heart out, Virtual Boy.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Hyper Neo Geo 64 was even more bonkers than that, and it only had seven games.
And the system wasn't as interchangeable as the original Neo-Geo. While the NG was meant for any genre, HNG64 had a model for fighting, one for shooting, and one for racing games.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Hrm, I always knew a company SNK existed, though wasn't entirely aware of how many or what gaming franchises they actually owned, as someone whose never really played any of their games except maybe played a Metal Slug cabinet at an arcade once or twice for ****s and giggles.

That said I definitely knew who Terry was and knew of the "ARE YOU OKAY!?" memes, so even someone ignorant on SNK's history and games found the "LiTeRaLlY wHo!?" comments against Terry baffling.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That said I definitely knew who Terry was and knew of the "ARE YOU OKAY!?" memes, so even someone ignorant on SNK's history and games found the "LiTeRaLlY wHo!?" comments against Terry baffling.
SNK seems to be pretty obscure in the U.S. My only prior knowledge of the company was from The Quarter Guy, and the knowledge that Metal Slug was an IP that existed (but even then I just knew it's name and not really what it was).

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

With how easy working with Microsoft was, I would argue that Steve is as likely, if not more than Crash in term of western own character.

Also kind of off topic but today Coro coro announced a Minecraft manga that will start in May.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Haven't stopped by here in a long time. Hope everyone has been doing ok.

Anything new or noteworthy in the last couple of weeks for smash? Deconfirms, rumours, etc?

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
With how easy working with Microsoft was, I would argue that Steve is as likely, if not more than Crash in term of western own character.

Also kind of off topic but today Coro coro announced a Minecraft manga that will start in May.
Steve works a lot better as a Mii Costume. So many of the Smash Bros characters have some good expressions and can convey their personality through their ideal stance and animation, Steve has zero personality and can't emote at all. He would be a boring character to just look at.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Haven't stopped by here in a long time. Hope everyone has been doing ok.

Anything new or noteworthy in the last couple of weeks for smash? Deconfirms, rumours, etc?
A noteworthy thing is that Fighter 6 is someone from Arms and no noteworthy deconfirms yet.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Steve works a lot better as a Mii Costume. So many of the Smash Bros characters have some good expressions and can convey their personality through their ideal stance and animation, Steve has zero personality and can't emote at all. He would be a boring character to just look at.
I dunno. When I think of a rectangular prismatic anomaly that moves in ways that aren't physically possible and seems completely emotionally unphased by getting punched in the face as it tries to build the machinations of your demise, boring isn't really the first word that comes to mind.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
His personality could be his lack of personality, in a way. An unchanging expression worked to make :4villager: and the Sun/Moon Protagonist memes of sorts, it could work for Steve.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Steve can emote with his eyes. Characters' eyes blink in Bedrock Edition and actually move their pupils in Dungeons (not just in the cinematics). He can express personality through body language, too, and a lot of people find him fun whether through their ideas of his moveset or actually liking him as a character they're attached to through associating him as the main dude from Minecraft.

And he does show off a bit of personality in official videos/animations in gifs etc./other media from Mojang. Minecraft's instagram has some gifs like that.

Also this fanmade animation:

And examples of how Minecraft characters can show expressions, from official videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICi2cjdzN1I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJczpIdONjs

To say Steve can't express personality is ignorance. Characters' lack of expression in the main game isn't even canonical.

And if you think Steve would look boring as a fighter, then heck, a mii costume would be worse. Also, Game & Watch fits what you're saying too if not more, especially before Ultimate; even in Ultimate, his expressions are just frozen faces, his body language helping to convey more personality and make him more fun, just as it would for Steve alongside Steve possibly being able to move his eyes and maybe his mouth thanks to changing pixels or something; sounds, too.

There's a reason why Minecraft entities feel like they have personality even though most of them don't even change their face in the main game.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
EDIT: Man, I need to pay attention to which thread I'm in.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Oddly enough, I agree with this list 149%.
Like, this is a perfect list.
The only nitpicks I could even make are that it doesn't include ALL missing stages from the past games.
But there is ONE iconic stage missing from the list of new stages: Chemical Plant Zone.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Oddly enough, I agree with this list 149%.
Like, this is a perfect list.
The only nitpicks I could even make are that it doesn't include ALL missing stages from the past games.
But there is ONE iconic stage missing from the list of new stages: Chemical Plant Zone.
I feel like these stages are more or less more feasible/more people would want these ones to return, and I figured since Sonic already has two stages already (plus the music for CPZ alongside the rest of Sonic 1-2’s soundtrack belong to a different composer so they’d have to negotiate with him for the rights too)

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I feel like these stages are more or less more feasible/more people would want these ones to return, and I figured since Sonic already has two stages already (plus the music for CPZ alongside the rest of Sonic 1-2’s soundtrack belong to a different composer so they’d have to negotiate with him for the rights too)
A lot of people give me flack for "prioritizing Sonic over all other 3rd parties", but I legit think it's time to jump into the Sonic ocean. Smash is no longer just Nintendo All-Stars; it's Video Game All-Stars, and Sonic is more than just a video game icon, but a cultural icon.
With maybe the exception of Pac-Man, if you show pictures of the third-party lineup to randos on the street, Sonic would get more recognition than all the others combined.
You cannot walk into a retail store or even a dollar store in America without seeing Mario, Pokémon, Mickey Mouse, Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Spongebob, or Sonic.
Pardon me, but I feel like Sonic deserves 8 playable characters like Fire Emblem.
Sonic, Shadow ε, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Amy, Silver, and Metal Sonic.
Sonic is just that important as a video game character.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'd love for one of the silhouette stages from the Donkey Kong Country Returns series to be made into a stage. The characters would mostly be in black, but the most important parts of their design would glow with a high contrast version of the color they are (this would also apply to particle effects and projectiles so you could see the attacks coming). The biggest roadblock for this would be the lords because capes are the devil in regards to this sort of thing, they all have the same posture, and they all turn their back toward the audience because they're asymmetrical. but with some strategic highlighting (things like Roy's hair, Lucina's cuffs, and of course, all of their weapons) I think it could work.

A lot of people give me flack for "prioritizing Sonic over all other 3rd parties", but I legit think it's time to jump into the Sonic ocean. Smash is no longer just Nintendo All-Stars; it's Video Game All-Stars, and Sonic is more than just a video game icon, but a cultural icon.
With maybe the exception of Pac-Man, if you show pictures of the third-party lineup to randos on the street, Sonic would get more recognition than all the others combined.
You cannot walk into a retail store or even a dollar store in America without seeing Mario, Pokémon, Mickey Mouse, Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Spongebob, or Sonic.
Pardon me, but I feel like Sonic deserves 8 playable characters like Fire Emblem.
Sonic, Shadow ε, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Amy, Silver, and Metal Sonic.
Sonic is just that important as a video game character.
I'm not averse to treating 3rd party series like they were first party, but it shouldn't happen all at once. Blatant favoritism isn't looked fondly upon.

But if we're talking hypotheticals then the Mega Man series should end up with at least Mega Man, Proto Man Σ, Bass Σ, Dr. Wily, X, Zero, and Sigma.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Man, if I were in charge I’d love a Tails newcomer with Chemical Plant as his stage.
Pity both Sonic stages are so samey, like all of the World 1 Mario ones. A lot of songs are too rock-y for Green Hill, but would be perfect on Chemical Plant.

Sonic really should have gotten a lot more than it has by now. I know we all have different ideas of ‘deserving,’ but Tails gets my vote.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Most likely 3rd Party you say?
In all honesty I’m not sold Hayabusa is the most likely but seeing how Koei-Tecmo has been putting in work with Nintendo for like the 12th year in a row, I think it’s time for them to get a character and, well, there’s really no one better.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Most likely 3rd Party you say?
In all honesty I’m not sold Hayabusa is the most likely but seeing how Koei-Tecmo has been putting in work with Nintendo for like the 12th year in a row, I think it’s time for them to get a character and, well, there’s really no one better.
I'm not a big fan of Ryu's design, but dang if that picture isn't super cool. If he looked half as cool in Super Smash Bros. as he does in this image I'd be sold immediately.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Except, ironically, the actual World 1 stage: Mushroomy Kingdom.
I hate that ****ing stage so much, because I know that I'd love it if it had color. But they went out of their way to make it look like it was pulled straight out of your great grandfather's attic.
Please, just give us a toggle to play that stage in color. If you can do that to change the logo in Boxing Ring, you can do that for the most iconic level in all of video gaming.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I hate that ****ing stage so much, because I know that I'd love it if it had color. But they went out of their way to make it look like it was pulled straight out of your great grandfather's attic.
Please, just give us a toggle to play that stage in color. If you can do that to change the logo in Boxing Ring, you can do that for the most iconic level in all of video gaming.
"We are pleased to announce that a new look is coming to the Mushroomy Kingdom stage"
*flips retro switch*
"It now looks exactly as it did in Super Mario Bros. on the NES!"
"And no, we're still not adding the World 1-2 version even though it was a really cool easter egg."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom