• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krankees

Smash Ace
This reminds me, I feel like ARMS has been getting undeserved hate since the smash announcement. Like sure, the game isn't for everyone, but the fact the people are acting like it's trash is just unfair.

It's a well made game for what it is, and while I do agree with some complaints like the overall simplistic gameplay (games like Smash and Splatoon are way more in-depth mechanically, and thus offer more reason to keep playing), It's still a competently made boxing game with a neat gimmick that can provide a great deal of fun with the right crowd.
I must not be looking hard enough because I barely find any hate for ARMS being FP6.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This reminds me, I feel like ARMS has been getting undeserved hate since the smash announcement. Like sure, the game isn't for everyone, but the fact the people are acting like it's trash is just unfair.

It's a well made game for what it is, and while I do agree with some complaints like the overall simplistic gameplay (games like Smash and Splatoon are way more in-depth mechanically, and thus offer more reason to keep playing), It's still a competently made boxing game with a neat gimmick that can provide a great deal of fun with the right crowd.
From what I've witnessed, ARMS has gotten an...okay reaction?

Obviously it's not Banjo tier hype, but the response has been a whole lot better than Byleth. Sure, there's some negativity, but I'm also seeing a lot of excitement mixed in.

Most people who've never played ARMS and didn't want an ARMs character can at least concede to the fact that any of the 15 characters would offer a unique moveset.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I must not be looking hard enough because I barely find any hate for ARMS being FP6.
I've seen it but where I've seen it, it isn't a popular opinion. Usually down-voted into oblivion.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't think I've really seen a truly negative reaction to it being ARMS. The majority's reaction pretty much boils down to

Like, it's not bad. Just not gonna make me jump from my seat.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think I've really seen a truly negative reaction to it being ARMS.

Like, it's not bad. Just not gonna make me jump from my seat.
I've seen a few negative reactions in this thread specifically, as well as a few other places. People upset that it's another first-party, people who think ARMS is dead and too irrelevant for a character — that's not abnormal though. I've seen some negative comments for every DLC character.

Anyway, that's what I was getting at too. Seems like the average opinion is, "Not a character I really wanted, but I'm not mad about it."

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I haven't seen much hate for ARMS at all really outside from a couple of isolated instances. The worst I've seen so far that gained any real traction were 'meh' responses.

If anything I've see more love for ARMS since the Smash announcement than from when the game was still alive.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
From what I've seen, it's more the game itself being treated poorly, rather than the Smash announcement.

Then again even before Smash you couldn't go anywhere without people calling the game "dead" even when it still was getting updates

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603

Obviously it's not Banjo tier hype, but the response has been a whole lot better than Byleth. Sure, there's some negativity, but I'm also seeing a lot of excitement mixed in.

Most people who've never played ARMS and didn't want an ARMs character can at least concede to the fact that any of the 15 characters would offer a unique moveset.
I'd put the reaction to Arms at about.. what, Terry tier? Like, a lot of people are underwhelmed, but they're okay with it. Most of the excitement has been just about rules, so that's kind of distracted from the character itself.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'd put the reaction to Arms at about.. what, Terry tier? Like, a lot of people are underwhelmed, but they're okay with it. Most of the excitement has been just about rules, so that's kind of distracted from the character itself.
Find me any reaction of Guess Who that comes close to MattMcMuscles or Maximilian Dood's Terry reactions, then you get to call it Terry tier

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'd say ARMS had for the most part a lukewarm reaction. But to be fair the way of announcing the character didn't help at all. A lot of people were just confused instead of being excited.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I will admit, I think it's a little unfair that a lot of people see ARMS as the possible deconfirmation of the AT/Spirits rule and nothing else.

I mean, I can't be mad at them because that really is a big deal in speculation. It's just a little sad because I always wanted an ARMS character, and a lot of the thunder is being stolen because, "Geno/Waluigi/Isaac has a chance!!"

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I will admit, I think it's a little unfair that a lot of people see ARMS as the possible deconfirmation of the AT/Spirits rule and nothing else.

I mean, I can't be mad at them because that really is a big deal in speculation. It's just a little sad because I always wanted an ARMS character, and a lot of the thunder is being stolen because, "Geno/Waluigi/Isaac has a chance!!"
A small price to pay for salvation.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220

Yep, I still remember how crushed I was when the Spring Man AT showed up in the November Direct. This announcement actually made me jump out of my seat to be honest, since I lost all hope with base game.

And, with how intricate the Spring Man AT is, it would be so cool to see that promoted to playable. And His model looks sooo good

Rsrex

Smash Rookie
Yep, I still remember how crushed I was when the Spring Man AT showed up in the November Direct. This announcement actually made me jump out of my seat to be honest, since I lost all hope with base game.

And, with how intricate the Spring Man AT is, it would be so cool to see that promoted to playable. And His model looks sooo good
Hopefully they do the re skin Idea like they did with Hero and BJ. I was personally excited because spirits can be fighters and I have been a long time advocate for Bandanna Dee and Toad. Other than Joker, Arms rep is the coolest Dlc fighter in smash ultimate so far. Can't wait to see who it is.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

Maybe I’m just looking at him wrong, but something about his neck seems..... off.

Not that it matters, I’m sure other characters also look off up close if you look at them long enough.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That'd imply any of the DLC so far is as good as Terry. And while I like ARMS and its characters quite a bit, that ain't happening.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

For the most part, I think he's one of the better looking AT models. Some fixed textures and some extra detail on the hair and ears would pretty much make the character 10/10 visually.

Zero's kind of a weird case for me, cause he doesn't have the updated metallic texturing that Mega Man and Mega Man X have. So MMX would need some clean up if he's chosen, but Zero I think, if they went with him would need that robotic sheen that Mega Man got. It looks dope on the two Mega Men, so it should look about as good on Zero too.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
To be fair, they were the only two people in world at the time who actually CARED about SNK in general.
If we talk about people close to the Smash scene, yeah, maybe, but if that sentence also refers to all people in general, that's just wrong.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I mean, every character will make at least some people hype. I know I got hype for ARMS and others did too. Banjo was for the West. Hero for Japan. Newer games got Joker. Even ****ing Byleth got some people hype, and some ****** outright despise Fire Emblem.

Its just that Terry is objectively the best addition.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Don't worry. I assure you that the next indie Mii costume that comes with the Arms rep will steal the rest of the thunder that's left.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
To be fair, they were the only two people in world at the time who actually CARED about SNK in general.
That there? That’s what we call Smash Bros. Ignorance. It ain’t just you either. Seeing the whole Smash fan base go “What’s an SNK” shocked me.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
There's no bigger fanbase that loves to erase the hard work and legacy left behind by companies that arent nintendo than smashfans

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm saddened by the Smash fandom and the mainstream's audience ignorance about SNK, but that doesn't eliminate the fact that they are the majority - and therefore the majority of reactions towards Terry's release were the now infamous "what's an SNK?". So, no, Terry is far from the best received reveal in the DLC. But honestly, you could do much worse than having people not know who you are - as his successor showed.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I know TheQuarterGuy was over the moon about it, that's one more.

That model seems a bit low-poly, in all fairness, especially compared to most models.

That's even assuming it's an Assist in the first place, which is kind of bittersweet on its own. I mean I'm in support of Krystal, but I know for her to have even a mild chance it has to be Spring Man first, which sucks cause he's like, the least.. no.. second least interesting character there. Forgot Misango existed for a sec.
Tell ya what, if a Spirit does end up being playable, I'll eat whatever hat I have on at the time, then make that Arms character my second main, no matter how much I might dislike them.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
To be fair Arms got less reaction from youtuber because it came in a unanounced direct, so many youtuber saw it before making their video. Also it's hard to really scream at our screen when the only info is "Arms is in the game, come back in June". At least Terry trailer had a lot of Snk fanservice and references.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That there? That’s what we call Smash Bros. Ignorance. It ain’t just you either. Seeing the whole Smash fan base go “What’s an SNK” shocked me.
I wasn't shocked, just mildly disappointed. There's people here who kind of sandbag Tekken as well, and Tekken's US fanbase is WAY larger than SNK's. So I can understand that the franchise/company who's known for having a South American/Mexican/Chinese fanbase might fly over the heads of some US and Europe folks.

On the other hand, how the **** do you not know about the BUSTAH WOULF!?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You know the actual reveal hasn’t happened yet, right? When people see the character I have no doubt you’ll get some reactions on par with Terry fans reacting to Terry.

The only way the announcement of a reveal would be as hype as an actual reveal is if the series being hinted was huge and new to Smash with multiple popular options (something like Resident Evil, had it not been deconfirmed), or so obvious that it’s basically the character being revealed (like... a character from “DOOM” will be joining Smash!)... though obviously they wouldn’t do it that way.

Like, there are multiple popular Mario candidates, but if they said “a Mario character will be joining Smash!” people wouldn’t lose it. The reveal spurs the hype.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
While I am mainly interested in seeing an AT get promoted, that doesn't mean I didn't give ARMS a chance to check out the abilities of its fighters and the ARMS themselves.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
People upset that it's another first-party,
I mean, anyone who used this argument is an idiot.

Why do we need Terry, he’s just Hat Ken. :troll:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I apologize that I did not not know anything about SNK before the leak, but in my defense, I did not fall in love with Smash for the novelty of guest inclusions. I did occasionally hear about Terry in Smash speculation before, so I wasn't totally in the dark, but I don't think he was handled in any way I would've preferred.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Obviously it's a huge exaggeration to say only two people out of a population of more than 7.5 billion cared about Terry. There were likely thousands of people across the globe who were ecstatic to see his reveal, particularly Mexico .

That being said, it's also an exaggeration to say he had a reaction that came close to the other three characters at the time. A lot of people had never played his games before and had no idea who he was. I remember "Who is Terry Bogard" was a popular Google search when he was shown off in September. He was also rarely brought up in conversation prior to the SNK leak, so that should serve as another example of how little he was requested.

I guess I disagree with anyone who thinks he had a strong presence one way or the other. Out of the five characters in the pass, it feels like Terry had the most lukewarm reception.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You know the actual reveal hasn’t happened yet, right? When people see the character I have no doubt you’ll get some reactions on par with Terry fans reacting to Terry.

The only way the announcement of a reveal would be as hype as an actual reveal is if the series being hinted was huge and new to Smash with multiple popular options (something like Resident Evil, has it not been deconfirmed), or so obvious that it’s basically the character being revealed (like... a character from “DOOM” will be joining Smash!)... though obviously they wouldn’t do it that way.

Like, there are multiple popular Mario candidates, but if they said “a Mario character will be joining Smash!” people wouldn’t lose it. The reveal spurs the hype.
This is ignoring how the Terry comparison wasn't made by a Terry fan but rather a lackluster attempt to try and explain the lukewarm reception ARMs got when everyone already knows why ARMs had such a reaction while Terry most certainly did not get a lukewarm reaction

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This is ignoring how the Terry comparison wasn't made by a Terry fan but rather a lackluster attempt to try and explain the lukewarm reception ARMs got when everyone already knows why ARMs had such a reaction while Terry most certainly did not get a lukewarm reaction
My post is relevant to anyone trying to judge or compare the ARMS character reveal, because the ARMS character reveal hasn’t happened yet.

Once June comes let’s reevaluate.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think the important thing to note is that even if almost every single character in the second pass was first-party, this doesn’t mean we’re are getting tons of super-highly requested or “obvious” characters.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603

The only way the announcement of a reveal would be as hype as an actual reveal is if the series being hinted was huge and new to Smash with multiple popular options (something like Resident Evil, had it not been deconfirmed), or so obvious that it’s basically the character being revealed (like... a character from “DOOM” will be joining Smash!)... though obviously they wouldn’t do it that way.

This tactic would work for Tekken or Dead or Alive, since they have a lot of potential choices and a main character isn't really so cut and dry.
But I think we all know this was only done to get people talking about Arms and probably buying it, which has worked a treat for them.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
My post is relevant to anyone trying to judge or compare the ARMS character reveal, because the ARMS character reveal hasn’t happened yet.

Once June comes let’s reevaluate.
Idk it sounded like your post was meant to address people who go "Uh no Terry's reveal wasn't lukewarm so this comparison doesn't work"

Also loving the people going "Terry wasn't talked about much here therefore he wasn't popular" when that logic would mean Byleth and Banjo were the only characters to get more than a mild reaction for the first pass, Joker caught us off guard and we never considered the juggernaut that is Dragon Quest here until Brave came about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom