• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Hence, no consistency as a possibility.

There could be many reasons, honestly. Lack of research, some silly "3rd party involvement" for some, some kind of bias. Who knows, really. I think the issue is the lack of consistency on why it could make sense, so it's hard to pinpoint much of anything.

...I do like the Geno Whirl answer, though.
I think the star rating is more like the AI level than actual canonical strength. Although it is weird none of the Animal Crossing spirits are Legends.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think the star rating is more like the AI level than actual canonical strength. Although it is weird none of the Animal Crossing spirits are Legends.
Well, Animal Crossing A.I. is mediocre in the games anyway, so... it fits.

But that actually makes a lot of sense.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
there's no way in hell the spirits list is nintendo's power level guide or something like that

unless you wanna say akuma is stronger than every series' gods. :nifty:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
there's no way in hell the spirits list is nintendo's power level guide or something like that

He'd probably body them. Have you seen his Tatsu Assist?

Krankees

Smash Ace

Well he did go toe to toe in a fight with Asura once. :)

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think also the reason why there's so many inconsistency in the spirits ranking is that it's pretty hard to compare different universe. Like for example objectively Animal crossing spirits should all be 1 star because they don't fight, but of course they don't want that so some of them are 2 and 3 stars. That doesn't make KK slider more powerful than Jill Valentine (although maybe he is, who knows).

Like Geno is very powerful for the Mario universe (in a franchise where the main protagonist is a plumber having a angel-like doll coming from the star is pretty powerful). Geno is not neccessarily more strong than Isaac, he's just strong in his own franchise.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Wow, the first article really mistranslated it quite badly.

Cause that's not the actual takeaway from either link properly. What you got was a very poor reading for it.

From the actual sources, they're "currently the last fighters", not "this is the end of DLC". So no, your evidence is a badly translated piece. They should really read the articles a lot more closely.

From PushDustIn "Here are some takeaways: 6 additional fighters are being made for Smash Ultimate. After that, there are no other plans so Smash Ultimate is almost finished." These does not say there can't be plans in the future.

"Sakurai and Nintendo aren't planning any future entries in the Smash series right now. So he doesn't know what will happen. Adding content to this game little by little extends Smash Ultimate's life. So Sakurai plans to give it his all for the last 6 fighters." This implies this is the final set of characters. If there are no other plans at the time, obviously calling it the last six is still accurate.

From the other guy;

"We announced that we will make six more , but the breakdown of the six has been decided and we do not plan to make any more." Again, that doesn't mean things don't change within the year. They said the same thing during FP1.

Actually, that's more or less the only new thing. You should link PushDustIn's full article, cause those guys aren't more direct at all about it. What they're doing is given an interpretation of it in their own words. None of the sources, actual proper ones, clearly state what you're saying. I'm not finding anything about "DLC will be over" on Push's or the original article when translated simply. The third source is different from Push's, so that makes it unreliable.

Overall, these aren't reliable articles enough to come to a conclusion. If you can link Push's proper article, that'd be a bit more clear. But right now these are all saying different things overall, so it's not a reliable way to get a conclusion. So no, I don't buy it if the sources don't actually come to one single conclusion entirely. Push didn't translate it the same as the third guy, which is actually pretty important too. Why are they saying different stuff? That means that one isn't translating it correctly. So you need a better source here.
Buddy, it's right there. He is directly saying that the game is "almost finished." That means, after this, that's it. They aren't adding any more characters after these six. They've been pretty clear this they aren't continuing with the game after that. Does Sakurai need to come to your house and tell you straight up there's no more DLC after these 6. This seems pretty obvious to everyone in this thread except you. I don't care about your delusion that there could be more. It's done after this. You need to just accept that.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Reminder that Ness's dad, a telephone, is a Legend Spirit.

There's no rhyme or reason to why certain Spirits are ranked higher than others. Sakurai and his team were likely just having fun deciding who would be what.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Reminder that Ness's dad, a telephone, is a Legend Spirit.

There's no rhyme or reason to why certain Spirits are ranked higher than others. Sakurai and his team were likely just having fun deciding who would be what.
Hilariously Sakurai wasn't on the helm on spirits. Generally his team decided. He clearly paid attention to them for the sake of base DLC, though.

Which makes sense. Sakurai cares way more about accuracy than others do. If Sakurai was more involved, I doubt they'd have made the mistake of using a fan sprite. So it's easy to tell he wasn't thattttt involved. He likes to balance games himself, so I'm sure he still helped with the spirit battles, not necessarily the exact details on them.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hilariously Sakurai wasn't on the helm on spirits. Generally his team decided. He clearly paid attention to them for the sake of base DLC, though.

Which makes sense. Sakurai cares way more about accuracy than others do. If Sakurai was more involved, I doubt they'd have made the mistake of using a fan sprite. So it's easy to tell he wasn't thattttt involved. He likes to balance games himself, so I'm sure he still helped with the spirit battles, not necessarily the exact details on them.
I wanna know who found out about the fan sprites because no one really knew until it was already patched.

Did someone confess or did Sakurai think that Masked Man's pixels looked a little off

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I wanna know who found out about the fan sprites because no one really knew until it was already patched.

Did someone confess or did Sakurai think that Masked Man's pixels looked a little off
Given that they edited Mr. Game & Watch's feather out, I like to think they do listen to the community.
It's just that editing a single attack or PNG is much easier than, say, fixing online or implementing Waluigi.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Some sad news. Keiji Fujiwara, the voice of Mewtwo in Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate and Axel in the Kingdom Hearts series, among many other roles, has passed away at 55. RIP to a legend, we'll always have him memorized.
Unfortunate timing to lose Reno's VA...

unless you wanna say akuma is stronger than every series' gods.
The star rating mostly does represent their power level...within their own series.

The strongest SF character is not going to compare to, say, the strongest Bayonetta character.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Given that they edited Mr. Game & Watch's feather out, I like to think they do listen to the community.
It's just that editing a single attack or PNG is much easier than, say, fixing online or implementing Waluigi.
Maybe instead of getting Sora trending on Twitter for Smash. We shill rollback netcode for Smash?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Good question. It was probably just a fan thing like with the Game & Watch issue.

People tend to notice little things.

SKX31

Smash Master
But really though want does the star ranking mean? Is it base on characters power, popularity, or what? The ranking of the star system is strange. Why is Isaac a 3 star while Geno is a 5 star? Isaac should be a 5 star too if it is base on power or popularity.
It's not consistent in the slightest (Master Cycle, aka. Link on a bike, is the only Mario Kart spirit that is 4-star, aka. Legendary. There are no 5-stars, 4 stars is max.).

Isaac is Enhance-able though - his Dark Dawn counterpart (upgraded Isaac) is a 4 star (the same as Geno).

But to give a very rough outline:

*How big a series is plays a major part. For example, Mario, Pokemon and Zelda have a lot of 4-star spirits, A medium-sized series like DK have four 4-Stars (Donkey Kong & Lady, Dixie & Kiddy Kong aka Enhanced Dixie, Kaptain K. Rool - Baron K. Roolenstein is a 3-star - and Blast-o-Matic).

* How important characters are percieved to be on Nintendo's part. ATs often get 3 or 4-star, fan favorites often get 4-star. Main villains like Wily, Andross (enhanced, his brain form) and Black Shadow are often 4 stars. One notable exception is Bayonetta's Balder (IIRC he's a villain, who's a 2 star since Jeanne's upgraded Cutie J form, Madama Butterfly and Robin's upgraded form are all 4 stars.

* Side characters, mooks and heroes of minor games tend to be 1 or 2 stars.

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
holy **** dude i can't believe ness' dad and hinawa are so powerful
In those cases I think they're just very important characters, so whoever was deciding them at the time must have thought being an important character was deserving of a higher rank?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
In those cases I think they're just very important characters, so whoever was deciding them at the time must have thought being an important character was deserving of a higher rank?
ness' dad couldn't be less important, he gives you money or tells you to stop playing the game

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
ness' dad couldn't be less important, he gives you money or tells you to stop playing the game
Yeah, I think some members of the team ranked based on power, others on importance and some just because they felt like it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
There are plenty of examples of Spirits that weren't ranked by power. Judd, the cat who tells you who won a turf war in Splatoon, is ranked higher than both of the Spirits featuring the final boss, AKA the leader of the Octarians.

Again, there's nothing in common between all legend Spirits. Some are ranked by power or importance, but quite a few were given the rank just for the heck of it.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
There are plenty of examples of Spirits that weren't ranked by power. Judd, the cat who tells you who won a turf war in Splatoon, is ranked higher than both of the Spirits featuring the final boss, AKA the leader of the Octarians.

Again, there's nothing in common between all legend Spirits. Some are ranked by power or importance, but quite a few were given the rank just for the heck of it.
sakurai and Nintendo clearly made the spirits out of many apsects: there's jokes, references to lore, popularity, and more. Thats the fun of it.

if its by power rankings alone it makes no sense geno aint playing in the same league as acreus, rodin, and marxx. likewise samurai goroh isnt above akuma.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
>The dev team already got their hands full balancing the main fighter roster.
>Imagine them also having to balance a roster of 1400+ magic PNG's too...

I mean, give them a break bros...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If daddy didn't find your quest, there'd be no saving the world. He might just be the most important character in the game.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220

I thought we all knew that Judd was the true final boss in the Splatoon games. He's a secretly a cold-blooded killer, that cat.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I thought we all knew that Judd was the true final boss in the Splatoon games. He's a secretly a cold-blooded killer, that cat.
i can’t believe Judd was Commander Tartar this whole time :secretkpop:

SKX31

Smash Master
>The dev team already got their hands full balancing the main fighter roster.
>Imagine them also having to balance a roster of 1400+ magic PNG's too....

I mean, give them a break bros...
Who knew that infusing Little Mac with the powers of a boxer and a giant electric eel turned him into One Punch Mac?

Qouted for truth.

I mean, he guarantees a second FS. Lil' Judd only has a chance of giving the player a second Final Smash and is thus only a 3 star.

:4pacman:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Try playing through Earthbound with no money, then tell me how important he is.
Now I'm wondering if it's possible to do a run of Earthbound without withdrawing money from the ATM. An "absentee father" run, if you will. I like it when people discover what things you technically don't have to do to beat a game (like that Breath of the Wild playthrough without walking).

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Wonder if they'd add new craftable Spirits. If they did who would they add and how would you craft them?

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Walking up in this thread / Alphagrad be likeView attachment 269427
This reminds me, I feel like ARMS has been getting undeserved hate since the smash announcement. Like sure, the game isn't for everyone, but the fact the people are acting like it's trash is just unfair.

It's a well made game for what it is, and while I do agree with some complaints like the overall simplistic gameplay (games like Smash and Splatoon are way more in-depth mechanically, and thus offer more reason to keep playing), It's still a competently made boxing game with a neat gimmick that can provide a great deal of fun with the right crowd.

ZelDan

Smash Master
ARMS wasn't amazing or anything, butn I do think it is overall a good game that I had some good fun with. Which is why I'm one of the people actually happy with getting an ARMS character regardless of what fan rules, if any, get broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom