• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
EDIT: Sorry DarthEnderX DarthEnderX ; I had started to type out a response to your earlier post, found it wasn't as funny as I thought, and didn't post it, but it was still saved in the reply text box.
Happens to me all the time.

Haven't bought a single mii costume. Still pretty funny how Undertale and Cuphead are actually in Smash Bros though.
Those are the only two I DID buy.

Oh wait, and Goemon. To show support.

Pick the 1 character you want to see get added to Smash the most.
*sigh* Dante I guess. And **** anyone that didn't vote for Hayabusa.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I missed most of the echo fighter discussion, but I really don't see how getting additional echo fighters would be a bad thing. Even if we're getting another Daisy/Richter situation where they're basically a clone perfect copy of their original character, that's still essentially:
  • A costume pack, with 8 alternate costumes.
  • A voice pack
  • A taunt pack
  • A victory animation pack
  • A classic mode route
Assuming they sell echoes for $2-3, that's a pretty damn good deal. And that's the absolute minimum that would come with an echo fighter. We could also get alternate playstyle like Lucina or even another semi-clone like Ken, while maintaining most of the value of the previous pass.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So the results of the last “poll” I did were pretty close, so I figured I’d do another poll.

View attachment 269133
It's a close call between Crash and Rex...

...buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I think I'm gonna have to go with Crash even if its just by a hair.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I missed most of the echo fighter discussion, but I really don't see how getting additional echo fighters would be a bad thing. Even if we're getting another Daisy/Richter situation where they're basically a clone perfect copy of their original character, that's still essentially:
  • A costume pack, with 8 alternate costumes.
  • A voice pack
  • A taunt pack
  • A victory animation pack
  • A classic mode route
Assuming they sell echoes for $2-3, that's a pretty damn good deal. And that's the absolute minimum that would come with an echo fighter. We could also get alternate playstyle like Lucina or even another semi-clone like Ken, while maintaining most of the value of the previous pass.
I don't think it's really a "bad thing" and I would actually like a lot 1 or 2 bonus echo fighter thrown out there for 3$ like you said. But I feel like having a full echo fighter pass with 4 or 5 characters like some other users mentioned wouldn't really appeal to me. I don't mind clone, but I don't want 1/3 of the dlc cycle being clones. Also clones don't bring new franchises, which is what I enjoy the most about the dlc, and in the end if you make too many echo fighters it's still a lot of time and money that could have put somewhere else. Sure, having 5 echo fighters don't take the slot of 5 newcomers, but maybe it takes the time that could have been spend in 1 standalone bonus newcomer like Piranha plant.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Ya know what's gonna happen? Someone's gonna hack Sakurai's computer and leak the files to reveal the next Fighter.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So the results of the last “poll” I did were pretty close, so I figured I’d do another poll.

View attachment 269133
Dante, Crash, Chief. R.I.P Hayabusa. Those accursed birds got to him again.

EDIT: Oh, only 1. Dante.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Ya know what's gonna happen? Someone's gonna hack Sakurai's computer and leak the files to reveal the next Fighter.
Well, I don't know if that's how it'll happen, but I DO think a major leak of some sort will come out. Then the nonstop debates about its accuracy will begin. The Cycle never ends...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
For as much as this thread complains about Rex and XC2, I'm surprised it chose him in this poll over Waluigi, Isaac, Dixie, and BWD.

Sometimes I wonder if this thread really knows what it wants.
The people in this thread have varying tastes among even the regulars. You could also say that many of the people who outright dislike Rex simply didn't participate.

Granted, my tastes are better because of those options, I went with Dante, who is indeed a pretty cool character.

I AM disappointed more of you didn't vote for Ryu Hayabusa. Do you guys not have cellphones like ninjas?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I AM disappointed more of you didn't vote for Ryu Hayabusa. Do you guys not have cellphones like ninjas?
If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's because his most recent appearances are in the incredibly niche Dead or Alive series, and that since he's the video game ninja man, his design doesn't really stand out all that much.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
RIP Rick May

I know the ship has sailed and is probably unneeded, but I always thought having Slippy with a Peppy echo fighter would have been fun to complete the Star Fox team. Slippy and Peppy could have been a slower and heavier version of the spacie archetype that could focus on gadgets in their move set.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
RIP Rick May

I know the ship has sailed and is probably unneeded, but I always thought having Slippy with a Peppy echo fighter would have been fun to complete the Star Fox team. Slippy and Peppy could have been a slower and heavier version of the spacie archetype that could focus on gadgets in their move set.
Interestingly I think this would make them not spacies because being fast is a part of that archetype. Regardless if that'd be the case though, where would you like their playstyle to lean? A more balanced archetype, or more toward the zoner archetype?

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace

View attachment 269133
If I can't get Ms. Clownaround for my ARMS character of choice (it's never happening, no matter how much I want it to) then getting Crash as the resident Wacky McWackjob for Fighter Pass 2 is a nice, much likelier constellation prize. He gets my vote.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I hate how everyone is disregarding Spring Man cause he "wouldn't be hype".
As a supporter of Waluigi, Shovel Knight, and Knuckles, I beg to differ. Breaking the Assist Trophy "rule" ALONE would make Spring Man the most hype.
Hell, I'm probably gonna draft a mock-up moveset for him soon.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I hate how everyone is disregarding Spring Man cause he "wouldn't be hype".
As a supporter of Waluigi, Shovel Knight, and Knuckles, I beg to differ. Breaking the Assist Trophy "rule" ALONE would make Spring Man the most hype.
Hell, I'm probably gonna draft a mock-up moveset for him soon.
Ok but have you considered the possibility that Spring Man would be the only one to get promoted? Would you still be hyped about him then?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Ok but have you considered the possibility that Spring Man would be the only one to get promoted? Would you still be hyped about him then?
Yes. Boi-oi-oing!
I'm hyped for any ARMS character, as it'd be a unique playstyle. But if it were anyone BUT Spring Man (unless as alts), it would feel off, as Smash has always gone poster boy first.

But if I refer to my personal Predicshlist, there is ONE other Assist Trophy that I couldn't help but promoting:
Ben Holts Fighter Pass volume 2 version 2.png

To be clear, I 100% expect Shovel Knight as a deluxe Mii Costume, as he is definitely in the same camp as Sans and Cuphead, but if our first fighter from Volume 2 is indeed Spring Man, then I cannot help but feel optimistic about the king of Indies.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Interestingly I think this would make them not spacies because being fast is a part of that archetype. Regardless if that'd be the case though, where would you like their playstyle to lean? A more balanced archetype, or more toward the zoner archetype?
Probably wouldn’t be an actual spacie archetype since they would be slower like you said, but I imagine they would share some similar moves that would be tweaked. Something along the lines of Lucas and Luigi in comparison to Ness and Mario. They Probably would be more balanced, could be zoner depending on how fancy you make their projectiles. here’s an example off the top of my head that doesn’t stray too far from Fox’s moves.

Attributes: higher jump speed and weight, but slower movement Speed

Up Special- Barrel Roll: A multi directional recovery just like Fire Fox, but it has a reflective effect instead of doing damage.

Neutral Special- Blaster: fires a piercing laser projectile that travels a set distance before exploding. It has less range and more ending lag than Fox’s blaster, but it can move through multiple fighters and does decent knock and damage once it detonates.

Side Special- Slippy Rush/Peppy Rush: A forward dash like Fox Illusion that does decent shield damage, but leaves the user in special fall in air.

down special- Repair Ring: functions like the reflector, but heals the user a portion of the damage of reflected projectiles and when dealing damage with activation, but the reflector can only be held for a second.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Not too surprisingly, Ash Paulsen's tournament came down to Min Min and Twintelle for who people wanted in Smash. I know some people will disagree with this comparison, but I can really see them becoming the Scorpion and Sub-Zero of Arms. At least in terms of popularity, they already are. Maybe they'll become the mascots in future Arms games.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd hope it'd be Spring-Man just cause I like his design. If other assists don't get upgraded, so be it. Ideally though, due to ARMS simple nature, you could just base the moveset on the two main gimmicks and get a couple of characters in one.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Not too surprisingly, Ash Paulsen's tournament came down to Min Min and Twintelle for who people wanted in Smash. I know some people will disagree with this comparison, but I can really see them becoming the Scorpion and Sub-Zero of Arms. At least in terms of popularity, they already are. Maybe they'll become the mascots in future Arms games.
all i hear when people huddle around those two characters is just this

i've had too many people admit that they only like them for "physical attributes"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom