• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Plus, it's the first proper jiggle physics. And we shouldn't expect any other kind to follow. XD
Imagine if Jigglypuff had jiggle physics...

Pick the 1 character you want to see get added to Smash the most.
That's easy! I'll just use my #1 pick from the last po-
Bandanna Waddle Dee
*The Sound of Silence starts playing*

I think I'll go with Phoenix Wright because I think he would be super fun.

Can't choose between Crash and Phoenix.
Does this help?

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Really, I see a lot of care for them too.

It's just not on your end. People like Mii costumes. There's discussion every time a DLC character comes up. The Shovel Knight fanbase actually is proud to have a Shovel Knight costume. Not every costume is remotely not-cared about as you put it. Rex is like... kind of the only one people actively dislike as a whole, due to why it's in. And that's the only one with bad context towards it. The rest? They're all just good stuff to have fun and give references to other characters. And the only ones kind of unpopular generally beyond that are some of the hats that feel like wearing the skin of a person compared to being actually decent as a costume(K. Rool, Isabelle, etc.) Those do actually look bad. The rest, not so much. Geno was an amazing costume, as is actually most of them. Slime Hat is one of the few hat-only that was met well, mostly due to Hero already being there so it was the only proper way to represent the blob outside of a playable character, while still being high quality(well, all the costumes are anyway) and having great jiggle physics, showing off some cool moments in gaming.

I see tons of shots of Mii Fighters over and over again online. Clearly they're cared about a lot because it's talked about a lot. So I really don't see what you're saying is actually a thing. Mii Fighters were not heavily played online in Smash 4 due to being unable to do in certain kind of matches. I don't even remember if you can fully play them in all online modes in Ultimate either. Can somebody confirm that? It's also kind of hard to consistently figure out a build to play online in various matches due to having custom moves compared to others who have a clear moveset. When you actually are being ranked for your performance, you need a solid character you can practice with, not taking the time to figure out a perfect set up that may or may not work.

They're complicated characters and were even banned in tourneys due to not having a core moveset. Of course they aren't being seen as played much. They're banned in some cases.
There was never a Shovel Knight Mii Costume, which proves my point on how much Mii Costumes aren't cared for if we're forgetting who's actually a Mii Costume. Also Rex isn't the only one that's actively disliked, when a Mii Costume is shown it means they're deconfirmed which will always disappoint people. That happened a lot in Smash 4.
Also I think every single Mii Costume that aren't Sans & Cuphead looks terrible. You take a character and butcher their look to fit these models that don't even complement the design. You're basically turning them all into FunkoPops and expect to make do with that as a way to play your favorite character.

No you couldn't use Mii Fighters in Smash 4 online unless it's with friends, which lead to a decline in people getting invested in Mii Fighters because what's the point of playing a character you can't use online.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There was never a Shovel Knight Mii Costume, which proves my point on how much Mii Costumes aren't cared for if we're forgetting who's actually a Mii Costume. Also Rex isn't the only one that's actively disliked, when a Mii Costume is shown it means they're deconfirmed which will always disappoint people. That happened a lot in Smash 4.
Also I think every single Mii Costume that aren't Sans & Cuphead looks terrible. You take a character and butcher their look to fit these models that don't even complement the design. You're basically turning them all into FunkoPops and expect to make do with that as a way to play your favorite character.

No you couldn't use Mii Fighters in Smash 4 online unless it's with friends, which lead to a decline in people getting invested in Mii Fighters because what's the point of playing a character you can't use online.
Oh, right, I was thinking of the Shovel Knight Assist Trophy.

And lol, they aren't FunkoPops. Almost all of them look really damn good. They captured them pretty well and they look like a fun visual representation. They do allow you to play as your favorite character to begin with. Geno costume is one of the biggest things people loved, if not the biggest showing. King K. Rool actually was met with a lot more praise than you let on. The fact they cared enough to make him a form of DLC when he was completely unused beyond trophy references made people happy too. Being playable wasn't all they wanted. His fans just wanted him being used again, instead of being left to rot. Isabelle wasn't even met with scorn, since she was hyper popular. Yes, some of the costumes weren't as liked due to the design, not so much the character chosen. There's no butchering of most costumes either. The ones that are just Hats are actually done rather well overall. They have amazing details and get the job done of representing the character. The only ones who actually look realistically butchered are things like Isabelle because it's a literal skin with a face cut out. They look like a halloween costume(except the bad kind, though again, there's no lack of quality on any costume), not a character representation or a neat and silly hat.

You're way exaggerating their hate too.

I'm aware of how they worked in Smash 4. You do mean they can be used online on nearly any mode in Ultimate, or am I misreading what you're saying?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For as much as this thread complains about Rex and XC2, I'm surprised it chose him in this poll over Waluigi, Isaac, Dixie, and BWD.

Sometimes I wonder if this thread really knows what it wants.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
when all your desired picks aren't "popular" enough to make those polls... RIP Octoling, Elma, Neku, KOS-MOS...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
For as much as this thread complains about Rex and XC2, I'm surprised it chose him in this poll over Waluigi, Isaac, Dixie, and BWD.

There are a lot of people who've only played Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

And then there are Chads who played both and understand that 1 is the superior title.

And then you have insane people. :nifty:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I think a lot of them look quite nice. Altaïr from the Altaïr series (TM) looks pretty shnazzy, the Splatoon 2 Outfits are really great, the Takamaru outfit is nice as well, etc. Sure there are some stinkers (the Knuckles Outfit is just...why?), but for the most part, the costumes are pretty sweet from an objective standpoint. Though I will give you that trying to make a replica of a fighter really only makes for ironic fun since there's no avoiding it looking like a knock-off.

It did give us this gem though, so it's definitely not all bad. lol

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
They're complicated characters and were even banned in tourneys due to not having a core moveset. Of course they aren't being seen as played much. They're banned in some cases.
If you mean in Smash 4, I think it was more so due to Miis having sizes in that game that could only be set in Mii Maker and not in the game itself (and you couldn’t open Mii Maker while Smash 4 was still running, like you can in Ultimate,) plus said sizes were on a smooth spectrum, making them impossible to practice against. The customs in Ultimate are much more reasonable due to there being a fixed handful of them to practice against.

If they are banned in Ultimate nowadays, please correct me for being behind the times in terms of rule sets. I personally still recall seeing them in tourneys from time to time, but infrequently.

Plus, it's the first proper jiggle physics. And we shouldn't expect any other kind to follow. XD
The bubbles on Greninja’s limbs had jiggle physics, at least in Smash 4, not sure if it’s also in Ultimate. It was most visible on the results screens.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If they are banned in Ultimate nowadays, please correct me for being behind the times in terms of rule sets. I personally still recall seeing them in tourneys from time to time, but infrequently.

They are. But that's due to the fact that nobody wants to test different custom builds. A lot of tourneys just don't bother. 1111 isn't necessarily fair. They were not designed with a specific set of specials in mind.

Though I'm more curious if they are banned in any of Ultimate's online modes.

The bubbles on Greninja’s limbs had jiggle physics, at least in Smash 4, not sure if it’s also in Ultimate. It was most visible on the results screens.
Huh. I didn't notice that. But are they as good as Slime Hat. XD

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
They are. But that's due to the fact that nobody wants to test different custom builds. A lot of tourneys just don't bother. 1111 isn't necessarily fair. They were not designed with a specific set of specials in mind.

Though I'm more curious if they are banned in any of Ultimate's online modes.

Huh. I didn't notice that. But are they as good as Slime Hat. XD
Miis are allowed in Quickplay, Arenas, and IIRC, Tourneys that don’t have specific character restrictions. IDK if they’re allowed in the online amiibo fight mode or not. The only real restriction on them in the online modes is that their names aren’t shared (so, they are just called Mii Brawler/Swordfighter/Gunner,) otherwise, you can use any visual and special move customizations you want.

They are banned in some offline modes, though, such as Classic Mode and VR Mode.

On a side note, some of the automatically scheduled Tourneys in Wii U also allowed Miis (mainly ones that also allowed customs, IIRC.)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Miis are allowed in Quickplay, Arenas, and IIRC, Tourneys that don’t have specific character restrictions. IDK if they’re allowed in the online amiibo fight mode or not. The only real restriction on them in the online modes is that their names aren’t shared (so, they are just called Mii Brawler/Swordfighter/Gunner,) otherwise, you can use any visual and special move customizations you want.

They are banned in some offline modes, though, such as Classic Mode and VR Mode.

On a side note, some of the automatically scheduled Tourneys in Wii U also allowed Miis (mainly ones that also allowed customs, IIRC.)
Ah, so they do have restrictions again. Not as bad. But at least that helps answer my question.

Cause I wasn't sure of why there's a lack of use. It could've been online restrictions, but that's not clearly the case. Though I get where Wynn is coming from with the disconfirmation costumes and all. It's exaggerated how much they're hated, by quite a bit, but they aren't as popular as in Smash 4 where they were all the rage due to the cool concept of "making whoever you want". Probably doesn't help that weight changes being gone means you lack a lot of what you can do with them and how they play.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So the results of the last “poll” I did were pretty close, so I figured I’d do another poll.

View attachment 269133
I choose Phoenix Wright.

I think some people are supporting Rex mostly because "we need more Xenoblade representation" rather than real love for the characters (not saying everyone actually hate him but just something that I realised here).

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So the results of the last “poll” I did were pretty close, so I figured I’d do another poll.

View attachment 269133
As much as I really want Crash and Master Chief in, I'm gonna go with Rex because there's a sense of urgency in his inclusion. If he doesn't get in now he probably won't get in future installments.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
As much as I really want Crash and Master Chief in, I'm gonna go with Rex because there's a sense of urgency in his inclusion. If he doesn't get in now he probably won't get in future installments.
Nah, just join the Isaac and Geno club and wait a decade. :nifty:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Oh, right, I was thinking of the Shovel Knight Assist Trophy.

And lol, they aren't FunkoPops. Almost all of them look really damn good. They captured them pretty well and they look like a fun visual representation. They do allow you to play as your favorite character to begin with. Geno costume is one of the biggest things people loved, if not the biggest showing. King K. Rool actually was met with a lot more praise than you let on. The fact they cared enough to make him a form of DLC when he was completely unused beyond trophy references made people happy too. Being playable wasn't all they wanted. His fans just wanted him being used again, instead of being left to rot. Isabelle wasn't even met with scorn, since she was hyper popular. Yes, some of the costumes weren't as liked due to the design, not so much the character chosen. There's no butchering of most costumes either. The ones that are just Hats are actually done rather well overall. They have amazing details and get the job done of representing the character. The only ones who actually look realistically butchered are things like Isabelle because it's a literal skin with a face cut out. They look like a halloween costume(except the bad kind, though again, there's no lack of quality on any costume), not a character representation or a neat and silly hat.

You're way exaggerating their hate too.

I'm aware of how they worked in Smash 4. You do mean they can be used online on nearly any mode in Ultimate, or am I misreading what you're saying?
Talk about rewriting history.
First of all Geno Mii Costume wasn't met with praise because it was a Mii Costume, people praised it because it was the first step to getting that character in Smash Bros and made people feel like he was finally gonna be playable in the next game. Oh how wrong people were. Now people are begging not to see the Geno Mii Costume again since that would seal his fate.

This is all subjective but none of the Mii Costume look good. The Miis have weird body proportions, so you're taking character with regular proportions and shrinking many design of the characters to get these weird stiff cramp looking characters.
For example
Here you have Zero who look proper
Zero_in_SSBU.jpg

And here you have Zero with a big head, small body and stubby arms and legs
EDp9UBaWsAAYnRS.jpg

It looks bad. They take a good character design just messed with it to fit the Mii's weird cartoony body that these characters aren't meant to have.

And there were many joke at the K Rool for being a Mii Costume. One of the most famous picture during the Smash 4 days was the Sakurai Mii beating up all the Mii Costume characters as a way to say they're not good enough to be considered playable.
And let's not forget the laughstock they was the Chrom Mii Costume.
Majority of Mii Costumes are met with ridicule since they deconfirm the characters.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
EDIT: Sorry DarthEnderX DarthEnderX ; I had started to type out a response to your earlier post, found it wasn't as funny as I thought, and didn't post it, but it was still saved in the reply text box.

View attachment 269133
Dante. I was so excited for how he could possibly work in Smash that I basically wrote up three movesets for the guy, and that was before I finished Devil May Cry 4 or played Devil May Cry 5.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Definitely Phoenix.
Phoenix, then.
That's easy! I'll just use my #1 pick from the last po-
*The Sound of Silence starts playing*

I think I'll go with Phoenix Wright because I think he would be super fun.
I choose Phoenix Wright.
Even though my vote goes to Master Chief, my second choice would have been Phoenix Wright.
Good luck dudes!

EDIT: I know this doesn't count as newcomer discussion but...
Godspeed Peppy. Godspeed.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Talk about rewriting history.
First of all Geno Mii Costume wasn't met with praise because it was a Mii Costume, people praised it because it was the first step to getting that character in Smash Bros and made people feel like he was finally gonna be playable in the next game. Oh how wrong people were. Now people are begging not to see the Geno Mii Costume again since that would seal his fate.
And if Geno doesn't get playable status or a Mii costume then they'll be upset about not even getting the Mii costume. If he gets in as a fighter they'll probably complain about him being a zoner.

This is all subjective but none of the Mii Costume look good. The Miis have weird body proportions, so you're taking character with regular proportions and shrinking many design of the characters to get these weird stiff cramp looking characters.
For example
Here you have Zero who look proper

And here you have Zero with a big head, small body and stubby arms and legs

It looks bad. They take a good character design just messed with it to fit the Mii's weird cartoony body that these characters aren't meant to have.
I think it looks fine. I mean, you're not fooling anyone, it's obviously a Mii cosplaying as Zero, but with that in mind, it doesn't look stupid or anything. To be honest, with a few tweaks it would work as a proper design for Zero in a game with a chibi artstyle. Really it's the face that makes it look like a knockoff, but there's not much you can do in that respect. At least it's not as horrendous as the Inkling Mii faces. *shudders*

Majority of Mii Costumes are met with ridicule since they deconfirm the characters.
This isn't entirely true. There are a few characters on the roster with Mii costumes like Link, Samus, Captain Falcon, and now Chrom. But like with Spirits, DLC Mii costumes are a likely death sentence for the character.

EDIT:
And let's not forget the laughstock they was the Chrom Mii Costume.
Hey! You leave Chrome from the Fire Embull alone! lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dante. I was so excited for how he could possibly work in Smash that I basically wrote up three movesets for the guy, and that was before I finished Devil May Cry 4 or played Devil May Cry 5.
Dante practically has four different movesets in Devil May Cry 5. It's only accurate lol

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
I've gotten all the DLC mii costumes because what else am I gonna spend gold points on? Taiko no Tatsujin DLC? That and I play the miis online whenever I get bored.

View attachment 269133
Out of all of these I'd choose Phoenix Wright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom