• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Hey everyone! I appreciate all of the replies that I got from my last post. Since I got so many people to participate last time I figured I would do this again with a different selection of characters.

Pick 3 characters to add to Smash.
I decided to make this selection of characters from Japanese companies. I plan on posting a selection of western guest characters for you to decide upon tomorrow.

If I get enough responses I may tally the 4 most mentioned characters from each category and put them into their own category.
Geno, Sora, Bomberman

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If I was Nintendo and I wanted to make my own MCU I would just bring back Captain N.
Wtf! I said the exact same thing first and didn't get nearly as many likes! Buncha ingrates!

not to mention you need a villain that is actually a threat to characters as broken as kirby, bayonetta, shulk, and cloud.
Have you heard of a little thing called Giygas?

Hayabusa.
Dante.
I'll take Leon, but I'd much rather have Jill.

I should note that's Monster Hunter not Nightmare.

Don't feel ashamed though because you weren't the only one to mistake him for such.
I didn't know who it was, but I didn't think it was Nightmare.

It would have been better to use the MvC Monster Hunter, as that's the one non-MH fans are most likely to recognize.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Wtf! I said the exact same thing first and didn't get nearly as many likes! Buncha ingrates!
Is Captain N a good show or do people just like the concept? It seems to be highly regarded but all I see of it are the awful interpretations of the Mega Man cast + Mega Girl because they didn't even know Roll existed (or at least that's the theory of why she exists anyway).

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Is Captain N a good show or do people just like the concept? It seems to be highly regarded but all I see of it are the awful interpretations of the Mega Man cast + Mega Girl because they didn't even know Roll existed (or at least that's the theory of why she exists anyway).
Probably the concept. I remember watching some sort of pitch for a reboot, and that rough sketch whatchamacallit was more entertaining than anything I've ever seen from the OG show.

Then again, I have seen support for Captain N in Smash, so I'm sure it has fans.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mainly the concept. Though Mother Brain is far more unique and actually has decent characterization compared to the games where she's just mostly a growling monster. The Manga treats her way better(likewise, the Captain N Comics are also better, though they lack some 3rd party characters in return).

A few Robot Master designs were considered arguably better than some in Ruby Spears' MegaMan, but obviously that show itself was better. That and better characterization/jokes.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Is Captain N a good show or do people just like the concept?
It's absolutely terrible and does a huge disservice to every character it uses.

But the IDEA of it, and the associated nostalgia...*chef's kiss*

Then again, I have seen support for Captain N in Smash, so I'm sure it has fans.
He would make a perfect Mii Gunner costume.

Captain N basically IS a Mii. A real person that inserts himself into his favorite video games.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Hey everyone! I appreciate all of the replies that I got from my last post. Since I got so many people to participate last time I figured I would do this again with a different selection of characters.

I decided to make this selection of characters from Japanese companies. I plan on posting a selection of western guest characters for you to decide upon tomorrow.

If I get enough responses I may tally the 4 most mentioned characters from each category and put them into their own category.
Crash, Geno and Waluigi

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
>be cosmic destroyer of universes
>lose because people pray

wow so scary :nifty:
To be fair, the killing blow was dealt by the most powerful entity associated with its universe.

EDIT: Though I suppose it was also stopped by just singing so eeeehh.

EDIT EDIT: If everyone's prayers are the reason Giygas was defeated, does that mean Ness's true power is literally the friends he made along the way?

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
How did Giant Robo do it?
Well it's more of a "Star System" than a cinematic universe.
Giant Robo takes characters from all of Yokoyama's works and makes an original story where all these characters coexist in the same world rather than doing the whole "Heroes from another universe crossing over shtck"
Giant_robo_characters.PNG

This was entirely built from the idea alot of old manga authors like Tezuka, ishimori, Nagai, Yokoyama did where their characters are treated like "actors" so they end up appearing in different stories by the authors but play different "acting" roles.

Ex. Go Nagai's character Nishikiori from Guerrilla High makes an appearance in Violence Jack and Shin Mazinger but she's older now.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Screenshot_20200409-140329_Chrome.jpg

This is Waluigi's page in Smash Dojo, back in Brawl. Notice how it says he won't be appearing as a playable character.
Someone in youtube brought up this and said Sakurai said ATs deconfirming is an official rule. What do you think?
Also, they said there's a Miiverse post saying ATs deconfirm, so it applies to dlc. Can someone clarify?

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
View attachment 268722
This is Waluigi's page in Smash Dojo, back in Brawl. Someone in youtube brought up this and said Sakurai said ATs deconfirming is an official rule. What do you think?
Also, they said there's a Miiverse post saying ATs deconfirm, so it applies to dlc. Can someone clarify?
When June comes, and Spring Man is the playable ARMS character, I will rejoice.
Not because Spring Man himself, but because it breaks EVERY SINGLE FAN RULE!

No Third Parties? Snake!
Too small? Olimar!
Already a character with the same name? Roy!
Not a fighter? Sakurai dismissed in the past? Villager!
Characters can't be alts of another character? Alph! Koopalings! Hero!
Too irrelevant? Mega Man!
Too big? Ridley!
Too mature? Bayonetta!
Already part of another character's moveset? Chrom!
Only one character per third party? Ryu!
Once cut, always cut? Dr. Mario!
Trophies deconfirm? Mewtwo! Lucas!
Owned by a rival console maker? Banjo!
Too many Fire Emblem characters? Byleth!
Don't forget one that people loved to use before too..enough to even adapt it when it was broken to make it still work..
Must have History/Importance to Nintendo! Cloud!
Series must have History/Importance to Nintendo! Joker!

Ryu broke another one too, somewhere, somehow, people believed that Sakurai said that characters from Fighting Games would never appear in Super Smash Bros..and now we have Ryu, Ken, and Terry.
Spirits deconfirm? Mii Costumes deconfirm? ASSIST TROPHIES DECONFIRM? Boi-oi-oing!!!

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
There's only one rule. Video game characters only. Said from the man himself. Everything else is on the table.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
There's only one rule. Video game characters only. Said from the man himself. Everything else is on the table.
My video game theory lives! I am a confirmed real leaker now give me all your info now and I'll trade some back

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That would be Kaiba. They're not going for the bland main character, they're gonna go with the popular fan favorite instead! /s
God I wish that would've been true, give me a goddamn Obelisk punch.

78y.gif

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
This makes me wonder...

I know Cosmic77 loves Zacian, but I think most people would prefer a Pokémon from a different generation. So, what is everyone's ideal Pokémon pick when disregarding likelihood. Pretend there's a gun to your head and you have to pick one regardless of whether you want one or not.
Tsareena from Gen 7. That's my number one favorite Pokemon.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
This makes me wonder...

I know Cosmic77 loves Zacian, but I think most people would prefer a Pokémon from a different generation. So, what is everyone's ideal Pokémon pick when disregarding likelihood. Pretend there's a gun to your head and you have to pick one regardless of whether you want one or not.
Guzzlord, playing as a Ultra Beast would be cool.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Nice. I like it.

View attachment 268719
Please don't kill me Genobros :054:
... it's just a silly meme.
I would've finished that a while ago but I decided to take on a much bigger project
which I just finished the line work to, at 2:30 am. I'm probably gonna redraw the template tomorrow, because right now I can barely type

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
This makes me wonder...

Meloetta, can bring back transforming mechanic.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
To be fair, the killing blow was dealt by the most powerful entity associated with its universe.

EDIT: Though I suppose it was also stopped by just singing so eeeehh.

EDIT EDIT: If everyone's prayers are the reason Giygas was defeated, does that mean Ness's true power is literally the friends he made along the way?
In Cthulhu Mythos, Azathoth is the most powerful being in existence, having the tile of “The Blind idiot god” due to limitless power but is completely mindless. Azathoth is kept in check by a horde of elder god musicians who keep Azathoth in its slumber with their lullaby, else Azathoth would awake and destroy all of existence with his primordial chaos.

likewise, in Earthbound Giygas is an incomprehensible alien entity of malice and limitless power, but is basically mindless in his state. Pokey calls Giygas “an all-mighty idiot” that threatens to destroy all of existence. Giygas is weakened and defeated by the use of song, a lullaby to be exact.

Giygas’ ultimate demise is done by praying, almost like a rejection of the Cthulu fears of mind-boggling insignificance. The good Ness and his friend did on their journey mattered even in the face of total annihilation, the prayer from the people they met are what ultimately defeat a Cthulhu-like entity, the prayer nullify the feeling of hopelessness. So yes, the friends he made along the way were his true power.

TL;DR Local boy destroys elderitch entity with a friendship spirit bomb.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

I'll only pick Phoenix. I absolutely couldn't care less about any of the others.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
This is Waluigi's page in Smash Dojo, back in Brawl. Notice how it says he won't be appearing as a playable character.
Someone in youtube brought up this and said Sakurai said ATs deconfirming is an official rule. What do you think?
I don't think the Dojo has any merit in this regard, simply due to the fact that Brawl did not have or plan a DLC cycle. Having DLC means that more than one planning stage can occur, thus alllowing changes in design philosophies and content selection.

----------

Also I personally hope Springman isn't the arms rep and I find it some what pestering that so many people want him comfirmed simply to confirm their own beliefs. Him being revealed doesn't break any fan rule, it simply proves the rule didn't exist in the first place. If Sakrurai wants to bring in a fan favorite assist trophy (such as Knuckles, Krystal, or Isaac) I'd prefer that character to break the rule rather than the fan rule being disproved for the sake of it. I can easily put up with weak smashboard theories in comparison to having an unfavorable character locked into the roster indefinitely.

----------

This makes me wonder...

Gardevoir. I think the idea of a psychic dancer is a cool one. That and I found Pokken's implementation of the character (the moveset not the personality) had some unique design decisions. The idea of the character moving forward while charging a forward smash in a nice piroutte like fashion sounds cool. The idea of moving while charging a smash is a concept that is simple, new, and opens the door for new types of strategic plays. I also don't think the idea of a psychic fighter has been explored thoroughly. Having a projectile that grabs an enemy without pulling the enemy to you or that can teleport an enemy upon contact, are just a few unique properties such a character could have.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
The Mii Fighters were hurt because they didn't even try to walk the line between generic and being actually fun to watch. Their movements have no flavour and their special attacks are mildly interesting at best. The ARMS cast would wouldn't feel pressured to be an every-man so their personalities would have a chance to shine. From a balance standpoint the characters are likely to have an ARMS switching mechanic, so their attacks should already be balanced around the ability to change properties. After that, any deviance from Spring Man would be balanced against him instead of the rest of the cast, making it much easier since they can balance the characters by strengths and weaknesses over Spring Man. Now, I don't think every character would work this way; Dr. Coyle's abilities are very obviously good whereas Master Mummies obviously not, and Helix's abilities don't even work in 2D. However, If we're just working with Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min, or heck, even Twintelle and Kid Kobra, I think they'll be fine.
I don't think you understood why I was comparing the two.

The argument was that they said the character should be a create a fighter with various characters acting as "body-types" and ARMS for use.

I said the Miis were better for losing the whole size changing (which is similar in structure to the concept) because it messed with how their moves even worked. It made playing them very awkward because several attacks would not link properly with certain height and weight conditions, or that the character wouldn't be fast enough for certain follows because of frame data differences. The same issue would persist with this "choose an ARMS fighter" idea because they too have differing sizes and their speed and power should alter to accommodate that. Which is why I chose to argue against that claim.
Changing whether an attack does Fire or Electric damage is way different and less detrimental to how a character plays than if their jumpsquat is 3 versus 7 (which was a huge issue Mii Swordfighter in particular had in 3DS and Wii U).

- - -
To claim the Mii Fighters look generic and boring to watch is an opinion. I think Mii Brawler and Gunner have a variety of neat flair in their movement and that their attacks are neat too. As someone that has primarily only played as these three "boring" characters for 6 years, I hardly find them boring to play as or watch. If you choose to only use Guest Miis or something, you "get what you payed for" in that respect. Making a Mii with a costume combination does wonders to make the character feel like they've come to life. So if you didn't care about them in the first place, you're obviously not going to start for no reason. The big thing they did in this game for the Miis to make them appealing was abandoning the more usual "Mii" appearance and adopting more stylized designs for their default appearance.
Perhaps Swordfighter is the only real victim of that boring accusation, but even he has some neat stuff that makes him cool in some respects.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ooh, almost missed the 'pick 3' game.

I’ve noticed this becoming a trend online, so I figured I’d make my own, because I’m bored.

I’m actually really curious who the most desired Nintendo characters are nowadays.
Definitely WAA and Skull Kid. Probably would have to go with Dixie for the third, but I'd prefer Tiny (old skool, not this weird new one)

oof, so few I actually care about.

I recently got into the RE2make, so I'd go Leon, but I'd really like him to do a Hero-style with Chris, Claire, and Jill alts. As for the others... I guess Heihachi and MonHun, but the fact that so many people are mistaking him for Nightmare also makes me wish that he was a choice here - he'd wind hands down.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

No Third Parties? Snake!
Too small? Olimar!
Too big? Ridley!
Too mature? Bayonetta!
Spirits deconfirm? Mii Costumes deconfirm? ASSIST TROPHIES DECONFIRM? Boi-oi-oing!!!
Don't forget one that people loved to use before too..enough to even adapt it when it was broken to make it still work..
Must have History/Importance to Nintendo! Cloud!
Series must have History/Importance to Nintendo! Joker!

Ryu broke another one too, somewhere, somehow, people believed that Sakurai said that characters from Fighting Games would never appear in Super Smash Bros..and now we have Ryu, Ken, and Terry.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

No Third Parties? Snake!
Too small? Olimar!
Too big? Ridley!
Too mature? Bayonetta!
Spring Man breaks three fan rules at most: the ones about Mii costumes, Spirits and Assist Trophies.

People are going "THIS BREAKS EVERY FAN RULE EVER!" at every other reveal now, it's getting a bit ridiculous. There are no set rules for Sakurai to break, it's mostly just fans trying to find guidelines for speculation from what we know along the way.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Spring Man breaks two fan rules at most: the ones about Spirits and Assist Trophies.

People are going "THIS BREAKS EVERY FAN RULE EVER!" at every other reveal now, it's getting a bit ridiculous. There are no set rules for Sakurai to break, it's mostly just fans trying to find guidelines for speculation from what we know along the way.
Mii costume, actually.
And no, Chrom, K.Rool, Isabelle and Link are a different story. Their costume was added in Sm4sh first and Link was already in the game.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Spring Man breaks two fan rules at most: the ones about Spirits and Assist Trophies.

And Mii Costumes.
A Mii Costume has not been promoted to a character within the same game it first appeared.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

No Third Parties? Snake!
Too small? Olimar!
Too big? Ridley!
Too mature? Bayonetta!
Not sure if I'd call those "rules" per say, more like legitimate counterpoints that were being made at the time.

Like "leaks," I think we're using the term: "rules" too loosely and it's creating some confusion/revisionism.

Preconceived notions might be a better term, but that doesn't fit in with the realm of debating that speculation/educated guessing is either...

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Heihachi, Dante and Ryu Hayabusa.

The only hard part was deciding to choose between Dante and Bomberman.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Hm...guess I'd go with Dante, Monster Hunter, and 2B.

Geno and Bomberman are honorable mentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom