• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Implying it's not Mario.
Thanks for cutting out the rest of my reasons so it looked like my argument was nothing. Mario is the mascot of platformers. And the Super Mario series as a whole can’t beat Minecraft in sales. Minecraft is big because people like it, and people recognize it when they think of video games.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I like how we've reached the point where you can suggest characters like Steve, Master Chief, and Sora and not be dismissed for trolling.
2014 feels like it was 20 years ago.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Yes, gaming can have a mascot. It doesn’t need to be established. The CEO of gaming doesn’t need to say “This guy is the mascot!” Crazy, I know. But it turns out, a mascot can also be something that represents something else. Minecraft is the best selling game of all time. When people talk about some of the most well known games, they talk about Minecraft. Minecraft has been with us for a decade. Safe to say Steve or a Creeper is the unofficial mascot of gaming as a whole.
and I replied to your post because the post you were replying to was saying they thought Steve had a better chance than Master Chief, so if we were to get a Microsoft character, it would be Steve. You replied back saying you thought Master Chief could get in based on his status of mascot alone. If that was the case, Steve would be getting in Smash 10 times before Master Chief.
I'm pretty sure Mario, Pac-Man, and Pikachu are all higher on the totem pole.

Thanks for cutting out the rest of my reasons so it looked like my argument was nothing. Mario is the mascot of platformers. And the Super Mario series as a whole can’t beat Minecraft in sales. Minecraft is big because people like it, and people recognize it when they think of video games.
When it comes to overall franchise gross, Minecraft isn't even close to the very top. It doesn't even make the Top 20. (Mario, Pokemon, and Pac-Man are 1, 2, 5).

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887

When it comes to overall franchise gross, Minecraft isn't even close to the very top.
Damn, sorry about that. I read another Wikipedia article a while ago, but that one must’ve been talking about average sales per game.
And while I sort of agree, you’d have reason to believe that, all of those who you mentioned are closer to being the mascot of a specific type of game. Like platformers and RPGs. And you can say Minecraft is only a sandbox game, but that won’t be true soon.
and even if you prove me wrong again, what you’re missing is that all of those characters are in Smash Bros. All of the mascots that could be considered above Steve have made it in, most from the start. So either way, it only makes sense to add Steve next.

SKX31

Smash Master
I care more about what the core fanbase wants than what the casual fanbase wants.

Should Nintendo be the same? I'm not sure how core vs casual translates to sales.
That's always a really difficult question, and it's not helped by the fact that it's also A) Region-dependent for both the core and casual audiences (what's popular with core and casual audiences in Japan = / = exactly what's popular amongst the core and casual fanbases in NA or EU) and B) very, very much tied to context and circumstances. Most core people won't care about pachinko or most mobile games if there are more fleshed out games recently out. Core people do get mad about pachinkos when there aren't other projects - like Konami's MGS3 pachinko.

Also, I strongly doubt future Smash games will be made with just JP / NA (or Americas) / EU in mind, Which further complicates the issue.

When it comes to overall franchise gross, Minecraft isn't even close to the very top. It doesn't even make the Top 20. (Mario, Pokemon, and Pac-Man are 1, 2, 5).
Of course, it's always worth pointing out that gross isn't the most accurate tracker. Minecraft is partly F2P (Java edition) and I presume most will play on the Java version.

Side note: not surprised to see DFO and Crossfire in the Top 10. Those two have been at the top in Korea / China for the longest time, about as big as FIFA is in EU.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's ironic that Mario, Pac-Man and Pikachu are being relegated to "one type of game" when I assume 90-something percent of Minecraft's sales come from the sole eponymous title.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Thanks for cutting out the rest of my reasons so it looked like my argument was nothing.
I cut out what I feel is extraneous information. Apologies if I did it too much that time.

All of the mascots that could be considered above Steve have made it in, most from the start. So either way, it only makes sense to add Steve next.
You're not wrong, though in my opinion he doesn't make more sense than other large candidates like Dante, Master Cheif, or Sora; some are higher in demand from the fanbase, and others are just as widely recognizable.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yes, gaming can have a mascot. It doesn’t need to be established. The CEO of gaming doesn’t need to say “This guy is the mascot!” Crazy, I know. But it turns out, a mascot can also be something that represents something else. Minecraft is the best selling game of all time. When people talk about some of the most well known games, they talk about Minecraft. Minecraft has been with us for a decade. Safe to say Steve or a Creeper is the unofficial mascot of gaming as a whole.
and I replied to your post because the post you were replying to was saying they thought Steve had a better chance than Master Chief, so if we were to get a Microsoft character, it would be Steve. You replied back saying you thought Master Chief could get in based on his status of mascot alone. If that was the case, Steve would be getting in Smash 10 times before Master Chief.
I was talking about Master Chief and his status as Xbox mascot.
And I wasn't really answering the part about Steve in my original message, I was answering the part about Chief having low chances and he not having presence on the Switch.

I mean, I never referenced the part about Steve in CapitaineCrash message. My post addresed this specific part of his comment:
As for Chief, honestly I think his chance are pretty low because Halo was never that big in Japan and he have no presence on Switch. People start supporting it a lot because of that rumor about Master chief collection on Switch, but we haven't heard anything new about it so it might be fake.

About Steve being gaming's mascot, it doesn't need to be established, but because "gaming" isn't an actual brand, it's more difficult to establish who's the mascot or the face of gaming as a whole, and even if we could establish one, I don't really think Steve would be that mascot. Mario or Pacman would probably be the closest options as mascots. People who never played a videogame are at least familiar with their designs. Minecraft is insanely popular, no one will say otherwise, but Steve, as a character, isn't really at the same level of the likes of Pikachu, Mario, Sonic or Pacman.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Most core people won't care about pachinko or most mobile games if there are more fleshed out games recently out. Core people do get mad about pachinkos when there aren't other projects - like Konami's MGS3 pachinko.
Meanwhile, casuals don't play the other projects and eat up the mobile games (which I'm assuming is the equivalent) for nostalgia.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
And while I sort of agree, you’d have reason to believe that, all of those who you mentioned are closer to being the mascot of a specific type of game. Like platformers and RPGs. And you can say Minecraft is only a sandbox game, but that won’t be true soon.
This is also not exactly true.

Isn't Mario Kart one of the best-known racing games? What about Mario Party and the party genre?

I know that my parents recognize Mario as a video game character. Can't say the same about too many others. After all, Mario was in the ad for the (now delayed) Olympics.

If anyone is the mascot of gaming as a whole, it's Mario.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I care more about what the core fanbase wants than what the casual fanbase wants.

Should Nintendo be the same? I'm not sure how core vs casual translates to sales.
Casual fans will like anything. They like that Piranha Plant, just about any character would sale.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Casual fans will like anything. They like that Piranha Plant, just about any character would sale.
That's not exactly true. They tend to have lower skill levels, and more serious or difficult games like Dark Souls or...um...I dunno Azure Striker Gunvolt? wouldn't really appeal to them.

Also it's not just casuals that like Piranha Plant.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I was talking about Master Chief and his status as Xbox mascot.
And I wasn't really answering the part about Steve in my original message, I was answering the part about Chief having low chances and he not having presence on the Switch.

I mean, I never referenced the part about Steve in CapitaineCrash message. My post addresed this specific part of his comment:
As for Chief, honestly I think his chance are pretty low because Halo was never that big in Japan and he have no presence on Switch. People start supporting it a lot because of that rumor about Master chief collection on Switch, but we haven't heard anything new about it so it might be fake.

About Steve being gaming's mascot, it doesn't need to be established, but because "gaming" isn't an actual brand, it's more difficult to establish who's the mascot or the face of gaming as a whole, and even if we could establish one, I don't really think Steve would be that mascot. Mario or Pacman would probably be the closest options as mascots. People who never played a videogame are at least familiar with their designs. Minecraft is insanely popular, no one will say otherwise, but Steve, as a character, isn't really at the same level of the likes of Pikachu, Mario, Sonic or Pacman.
That’s fine then. I’m fine if you think somebody else would be mascot, cause I know practically nobody would actually agree. I just thought you were comparing Master Chief’s reputation to Steve’s. Sorry about that.

This is also not exactly true.

Isn't Mario Kart one of the best-known racing games? What about Mario Party and the party genre?

I know that my parents recognize Mario as a video game character. Can't say the same about too many others. After all, Mario was in the ad for the (now delayed) Olympics.

If anyone is the mascot of gaming as a whole, it's Mario.
I definitely forgot about the party and kart games entirely. Yeah, he really is a huge mascot. How about Steve as mascot of modern gaming? Is that better?

I cut out what I feel is extraneous information. Apologies if I did it too much that time.

You're not wrong, though in my opinion he doesn't make more sense than other large candidates like Dante, Master Cheif, or Sora; some are higher in demand from the fanbase, and others are just as widely recognizable.
Sorry if I got angry at you too easily. I’m not in the best mood right now. Anyway, I can see where you’re coming from. Popular requests probably take some form of priority, even if it isn’t that much.

And that’s it. I’ve never liked arguing on this thread, because for some reason I get really tired and anxious when I do. So sorry if I don’t reply. I’m probably gonna be napping.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
At the level of visibility being talked about, genres are irrelevant. You're talking about most well-known, full stop. My grandma knows who Pikachu is, but she's not about to say "well, that's really only for RPGs though".

Moreover, you'd have to have a character that was not only the most well-known gaming character, but a character free from genres to apply to this weird, goalpost moving criteria. No character is free from genres, that's like saying the most well-known athlete can't be associated with their sport.

But ironically the closest you'd get is Mario, because of how many genres the series encompasses.

That's not exactly true. They tend to have lower skill levels, and more serious or difficult games like Dark Souls or...um...I dunno Azure Striker Gunvolt? wouldn't really appeal to them.

Also it's not just casuals that like Piranha Plant.
Well you're not making them play those games, you're just offering a character from them. And if they think they look cool, or play in a fun way, they'd gravitate to that character. Look at the Fire Emblem characters before Fire Emblem was really a thing in the west.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
For all we know, we have another "I voted for Bayonetta 300 times every day" episode and KOS-MOS skyrockets with 80% of the votes.
Although I rarely see eye to eye with Wynn, I think that the 300 votes a day thing was an over exaggeration. It also pops up constantly in the community as I'm sure everyone is aware but it probably is being taken a bit too seriously.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Although I rarely see eye to eye with Wynn, I think that the 300 votes a day thing was an over exaggeration. It also pops up constantly in the community as I'm sure everyone is aware but it probably is being taken a bit too seriously.
Nah it's only me saying it a lot bro. It's not about whether or not he truly did it, it's the fact he would confess to doing such a thing. :nifty:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Nah it's only me saying it a lot bro. It's not about whether or not he truly did it, it's the fact he would confess to doing such a thing. :nifty:
I meant that over exaggeration is common in the community if that's what you mean. If not then I dunno. Still it probably means he did it above average which is pretty weird but still.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well you're not making them play those games, you're just offering a character from them. And if they think they look cool, or play in a fun way, they'd gravitate to that character. Look at the Fire Emblem characters before Fire Emblem was really a thing in the west.
On the flip side though there are characters that casual players won't care for visually or gameplay wise (usually if it's a high skill floor character like Greninja or Sheik). Casuals may be more likely to like a character since there's more of them but I think the idea that they'd like anything is false; they just don't get super mad about it since they're not that emotionally invested.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Lol Steve isn’t even a character let alone a mascot.
He’s used as a face for the game, and is used/treated as a character in official animations/videos, artwork, and merchandise. He’s also playable in Dungeons, and at least has a little personality in some official things. So yes, he is a character, and he is a mascot; let’s not pretend he isn’t.

As for gaming mascots, Steve and the Creeper are definitely up there, but I think Mario and/or Pac-Man are the best for representing videogames as a whole if we’re talking about a single character or two.

Yeah it was his remark about fans thinking that Microsoft and Nintendo are collaborating a lot more than they actually are -- basically 'curb your enthusiasm'. Given he's addressed smash directly before (with banjo), and that ended up coming to fruition, I'm taking him for his word here.
He didn’t address Smash stuff this time, though; while the interviewer mentioned Banjo in Smash, Phil didn’t say anything about it. He was basically talking about fans and rumors about their games coming to the Switch/other platforms, basically saying he still wants to keep stuff XBox and not to expect each of their games to be on other systems, none of which applying to Minecraft at all. While I could see it probably making characters like Chief less likely, nothing he said disconfirmed more Smash characters and definitely didn’t disconfirm Steve given that, while Mojang is owned by Microsoft, they basically have full control of the game and it’s on other systems anyway (and has been since before Microsoft bought them, too, just not Nintendo until 2015).

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Hello everyone! I have used SmashBoards a little bit in the past but now I think I might be here to stay. I've seen a bunch of conversations here and it does seem like their are a lot of friendly people here, unlike other websites *cough* GameFAQs *cough* 4Chan *cough*. Anyways, I thought as a good way to start, I decided I will predict who I think the characters will be in Fighters Pass Volume 2! :D

Challenger Pack 6: ARMS Character - This has already been confirmed, except for who exactly it is. Personally, I think it will be a Hero situation where they will choose four characters as alts of each other. Yes, I have played ARMS, but I feel like they could definitely have all of the character's unique abilities work. Personally, my mind is telling me Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min are gonna be who they will go for.

Challenger Pack 7: Geno - I know, I know. This character is always on everyone's predictions, but 100% of the time, Geno has never actually come in to fruition. However, I think theirs a ton of signs pointing to this happening. First off, Ultimate has done a great job of including all the fan requested characters and the only other character I can think of that has been requested as long as Ridley, King K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie is Geno. Geno even got the attention from Sakurai when he included a Geno Mii Outfit in Smash 4, which has strangely not come back yet. Another thing is that Nintendo also copyrighted two tracks from Super Mario RPG, Beware The Forest's Mushrooms, the song everyone associates with Geno, and Fight Against An Armed Boss. Most songs that Nintendo has copyrighted ended up in Smash like MEGALOVANIA and some Banjo-Kazooie tracks. All in all, the stars seem to be aligning for Geno imo and he is the most likely he has ever been.

Challenger Pack 8: Travis Touchdown - I'm pretty confident about this one. No More Heroes III is a game Nintendo has been promoting quite a bit and with No More Heroes III being a Nintendo Switch exclusive, it makes sense for Nintendo to want to promote a game that is exclusive to their system, and Smash is the best place for that. Travis also has the benefit for not just being good promotion, but also being highly requested as well, which even caught the attention from Suda, who is a good friend of Sakurai. Suda has stated that next time he meets up with Sakurai, he will try to get Travis in Smash, and with their relationship, I don't see why either of them would turn down the opportunity. Honestly, Travis is the most likely character imo and I will be beyond shocked if he doesn't get included at this point.

Challenger Pack 9: Rex - I think Rex will get included for the same reasons that an ARMS rep was included. Sakurai has stated that he wanted to include both an ARMS rep and Rex in Ultimate, but due to how new those games were, Sakurai didn't have enough time to get them included. Now that we have an ARMS rep coming, then I think its very likely Rex could be coming as well. Not to mention the fact that Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition will be releasing soon, so it would be fitting to throw in another Xenoblade rep in Smash.

Challenger Pack 10: Rayman - I think people are sleeping on Rayman's chances personally. Nintendo And Ubisoft have such a strong relationship by including Star Fox in Star Link and making a Mario crossover with the Rabbids. Honestly, Ubisoft, out of any Western company, has the best relationship with Nintendo by far. If any Western publisher deserves a playable character, its definitely Ubisoft. And with the inclusion of Rabbid hats and the Altair Mii Outfit with Byleth, it seems like Ubisoft might have been having some talks with Nintendo. Rayman, out of any Ubisoft character, fits Smash the best aesthetically so it just makes sense. I'm honestly shocked more people aren't talking about Rayman because Ipersonally think he has a great chance of happening.

Challenger Pack 11: Gen 8 Pokemon - Whether we want it or not, we all have to be honest, we are going to get a Gen 8 Pokemon. Pokemon is literally the biggest multimedia franchise of all time so you know Sakurai would include a rep from Sword & Shield. However, most people aren't sure what Pokemon they will choose. If I had to predict the Pokemon I think it will be, I choose Rillaboom since he could complete the Water [Greninja], Fire [Incineroar], and Grass [???] starter trifecta. However, I could also see Toxtricity because he is a fan favorite and Urshifu because he could promote the Expansion Pass. Either way, a Gen 8 Pokemon is inevitable imo.

So, those are my predictions. What are your thoughts and predictions?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hello everyone! I have used SmashBoards a little bit in the past but now I think I might be here to stay. I've seen a bunch of conversations here and it does seem like their are a lot of friendly people here, unlike other websites *cough* GameFAQs *cough* 4Chan *cough*.
With your profile picture I thought you were Megadoomer for a bit there. lol

...I decided I will predict who I think the characters will be in Fighters Pass Volume 2! :D

Challenger Pack 6: ARMS Character
Challenger Pack 7: Geno
Challenger Pack 8: Travis Touchdown
Challenger Pack 9: Rex
Challenger Pack 10: Rayman
Challenger Pack 11: Gen 8 Pokemon
I think this would be underwhelming to most, since there's only one big character in this pass, but I would be pretty satisfied with it. Rex & Pyra/Mythra, Rayman, Geno, and potentially the ARMS character would be the highlights of it for me because I like Rex & Pyra, Rayman, and the idea of a solo ARMS character (but not a composite one) like Spring Man or Min Min, and because I would be happy for Geno fans.

EDIT: This is totally Pyra and Mythra erasure though. :p

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I’ve noticed this becoming a trend online, so I figured I’d make my own, because I’m bored.

Pick 3 characters to add to Smash.
I’m actually really curious who the most desired Nintendo characters are nowadays.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
On the flip side though there are characters that casual players won't care for visually or gameplay wise (usually if it's a high skill floor character like Greninja or Sheik). Casuals may be more likely to like a character since there's more of them but I think the idea that they'd like anything is false; they just don't get super mad about it since they're not that emotionally invested.
I don't think there are any Smash characters that are so complicated that the skill floor is actually high when you're playing against others of around the same low-ish aptitude. Sure some characters have a lower learning curve, but even if you picked Greninja or Sheik, it wouldn't take long to figure out how to kill other casuals with them. I mean I think the most complicated you'd get from just a baseline functional perspective is Olimar.

From my experience, the favoured weapon of the truly casual is the c-stick, and against other casuals, that'd probably be relatively effective. Especially since shielding, dodging and grabbing are not used very proficiently at that level.

I agree that it's more casuals not having an issue with any character rather than them liking every character, because obviously not every casual will like every character, but I think ultimately the conclusion is pretty much the same, because, conversely, there isn't any character that won't be liked by any casual. I think when people refer to casuals, they're more just picturing the amorphous wave of general agreeability rather than any given individual.

That said, there are really two branches of casual. The Smash casual, and the gaming casual. The Smash casual still plays other games, and will get drawn in by characters like the third-party DLC. The just general gaming casual really only needs to see Mario, Pikachu, Link, Kirby, etc. on the cover and they're in. I think we're mostly talking about the latter here, since the former is a bit more attuned, generally.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I’ve noticed this becoming a trend online, so I figured I’d make my own, because I’m bored.

I’m actually really curious who the most desired Nintendo characters are nowadays.
"Um. All of them."
"No, sire."
"Why not?"
"No, sire."
"..."
"Why not?"

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Pick 3 characters to add to Smash.View attachment 268579

It's tough, but Paper Mario and SwSh occupy two of those spots. After that, it's a toss-up between Waluigi, BWD, and Dixie.
Mildly intrested in Krystal and Skull Kid, but that's mainly because I want another rep for their series; has less to do with me being intrested in their potential movesets.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Really, of all the characters on this list, I’l be perfectly satisfied with just BWD, but I’d also like Waluigi and Paper Mario.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Not bad though I don't honestly see Rayman happening. Replace him with Crash and I could buy it.
Thats understandable.

With your profile picture I thought you were Megadoomer for a bit there. lol

I think this would be underwhelming to most, since there's only one big character in this pass, but I would be pretty satisfied with it. Rex & Pyra/Mythra, Rayman, Geno, and potentially the ARMS character would be the highlights of it for me because I like Rex & Pyra, Rayman, and the idea of a solo ARMS character (but not a composite one) like Spring Man or Min Min, and because I would be happy for Geno fans.

EDIT: This is totally Pyra and Mythra erasure though. :p
Yeah I would love if their included! :D

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Premium
I'm not so sure that casual fans are the reliable source of sales you seem to imply. Isn't it mostly the core fanbase who buys the fighter passes, especially before seeing all of the fighters? Their opinion doesn't really matter, except so far as they might be soured to buying subsequent passes. Of course, not everyone in the core fanbase buys the passes early, but it's hard to say what percentage do. That said, I care about what the core fanbase wants for reasons other than sales.

SKX31

Smash Master
Meanwhile, casuals don't play the other projects and eat up the mobile games (which I'm assuming is the equivalent) for nostalgia.
Pretty much. Mobile games are also a lot more accessible - it's much easier to download or pay like $5 for a mobile game than the up-front cost of a dedicated console. Mobile games can scale up to 1080p and even have advanced stuff like ray-tracing (it kills battery life though), and a lot of mobile games have pick-up-and-play mechanics. Not bad for people who aren't going to invest themselves deeply.

I'm picking Waluigi, Krystal and BWD.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Waluigi, Isaac, and then I'm kicking Rex off the list in favour of Elma and pick her BWD.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Actually, I'd argue hardcore Smash fans are the group who's more likely to buy anything. I'm pretty sure a lot of people who didn't buy the bundle went ahead and bought Byleth anyway even if they didn't like him. Owning every character and understanding the matchups means a lot more to them.

I'd imagine casual fans are a lot simpler than that. If they like the character or think the character looks cool, they might buy the DLC. Otherwise, they'd probably not care and save their money to spend elsewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom