• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Rebember guys, the question is not “who is the most requested character?”, beacause, everyone has different tastes and is being influent by the games that they played and like . The real question is “who is the character that least people would complain if it gets in Smash?”.
I mean, people who spend hours complaining about Smash reveals online are going to find something to complain about anyway, unless it appeals to their extremely specific tastes.

I'd say trying to satisfy people is more important than shutting up a vocal minority.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Let’s play a game.
Fighter’s Pass vol 2 except each fighter has to be a company mascot (not console or era). If the mascot is already in Smash, an echo fighter is allowed. For example

Master Chief - Microsoft
Red Bird - Rovio
Crash - Sony
Sora - Enix
Shantae - WayForward
Mega Man Star Force (as echo of Mega Man) - CAPCOM

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Carmen Sandiego or Ayumi Tachibana, though? That is the question.
If we're going by fan polls now as our main indicator, clearly Carmen Sandiego is in the Top 10 Most Wanted characters since she made it into that list for the Rate Their Chances thread.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I actually would like to see her btw.
I now really want to see Carmen Sandiego join, just so we can see her and Joker bro out together.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Let’s play a game.
Fighter’s Pass vol 2 except each fighter has to be a company mascot (not console or era). If the mascot is already in Smash, an echo fighter is allowed. For example

Master Chief - Microsoft
Red Bird - Rovio
Crash - Sony
Sora - Enix
Shantae - WayForward
Crash is owned by Activision and Sora is owned by Disney.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Let’s play a game.
Kunio [Technos]
Bub/Bob [Taito]
Shantae [WayForward]
Nakoruru [SNK]
Bomberman [Hudson]
Bass [Mega Man echo]

I wanted to put in Hayabusa for Tecmo Koei, but apparently their mascot is some cat I don't know.

Master Chief - Microsoft
Red Bird - Rovio
Crash - Sony
Sora - Enix
Shantae - WayForward
Don't think Sora is SquareEnix's mascot. And Crash isn't even owned by Sony...

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Crash is owned by Activision and Sora is owned by Disney.
Okay Mr. Technical Man Sir just because another company owns them doesn’t mean they aren’t mascots for the companies that did the thing

Sora was created by Squaresoft side, not the Enix side.
I’m too lazy to fix it but I acknowledge that you have corrected me

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
They’re not exact. You can’t go “Waluigi was ranked number 1! He’s the most highly requested character!” Because obviously it has many flaws and holes and whatnot which keep it from being accurate. But if the character is in the top 15, it’s pretty much safe to say that they’re highly requested (unless there is an actual flaw, which would be obvious).
The problem is Voluntary Response Bias is at its worst with Smash fan polls. You're starting population is only ever going to be the most hardcore dedicated fans and their immediate circles, and of those groups, it has to be the people who are most vocally supporting characters and willing to spend whatever amount of time needed to respond to the poll. The people engaging with forums such as SmashBoards or even on something like Reddit or ResetERA's more specific Smash communities are already one massive degree of voluntary response bias (and often a certain degree of additional bias that comes from being the types of people who have excessive time to talk Smash of all things) and then we introduce another by specifically creating a voluntary response bias in a brand new poll, and then furthermore the most vocal of communities are the ones who generally get placed the highest since they actively work to rally troops for such polls. How many times do you see a support thread link a poll on an unrelated site to try and encourage the visibility of their character? Yes, organizing in any sort of "Democratic" context is objectively a good thing, but that's not traditionally what polls are meant to be as a statistical test when there being treated fundamentally as a true ballot.

What you end up doing is testing extremely specific sectors of the Smash fandom over and over with most of those polls is the ultimate result, and it more clues you in from a data perspective to which people you're polling at a certain point as opposed to any sort of true representations of the Smash "most requested fighters." The "polls" Smash communities refer to are most frequently the absolute worst polls from a data collection perspective because there is basically no control over the parameters of said polls. Many are fundamentally open ended affairs in terms of the responses you can give (a number would allow me to literally input a response of literally thousands of different options, which is rarely what you want with any statistical test/study/data collection method) and rarely make parameters for who can participate, and they're also subject to minor forms of tampering and/or simply being promoted in more specifically vocal or online communities.

Smash fan polls aren't useless, but they're not particularly useful items either.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay Mr. Technical Man Sir just because another company owns them doesn’t mean they aren’t mascots for the companies that did the thing
If ownership wasn't a factor then I'd imagine Red is most associated with Apple.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Obligatory reminder that this is not a criteria for getting in. If FP1 couldn't be full of the biggest third-parties in the world, and FP2 is starting with ARMS, what chance does FP2 have of it being like that?
It' not a criteria, but it obviously help to get in. Splatoon huge sales makes it more likely to be in the game than other first party like Chibi robo, Golden sun or Rhythm heaven.

Also I'm not saying that Steve is a lock or anything, but he have his chance, he has other thing going for him than just sales, if it was just about sales we would be speculating about Price from Call of duty and Messi from Fifa 20.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
They’re not exact. You can’t go “Waluigi was ranked number 1! He’s the most highly requested character!” Because obviously it has many flaws and holes and whatnot which keep it from being accurate. But if the character is in the top 15, it’s pretty much safe to say that they’re highly requested (unless there is an actual flaw, which would be obvious).
Did you ignore the second half of my last post?

Fan polls are unrepresentative of the wider Smash/Nintendo fanbase, and as such can't be used to definitively claim who is highly requested. This is a statistical fact. I'm sure the Source Gaming poll will be a great indicator of who's most requested in the core Smash fanbase, but unless it gets over 100,000 individual votes it's not safe to generalize to the wider population. Even then, I'd hesitate to do so.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Haohmaru gang will win one day.
I mean, maybe, but for now, she's the one SNK considers their mascot.

Well, Crash is more of a Playstation 1 mascot than a Sony mascot. And you specificied "Not console or era" mascot.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
If ownership wasn't a factor then I'd imagine Red is most associated with Apple.
I guess-

I was just trying to make a post to make a fun little game and now everybody is just telling me I’m wrong so let’s pretend I didn’t do that

Did you ignore the second half of my last post?

Fan polls are unrepresentative of the wider Smash/Nintendo fanbase, and as such can't be used to definitively claim who is highly requested. This is a statistical fact. I'm sure the Source Gaming poll will be a great indicator of who's most requested in the core Smash fanbase, but unless it gets over 100,000 individual votes it's not safe to generalize to the wider population. Even then, I'd hesitate to do so.
Hold on, I don’t think I fully understand. Just want to clarify. You’re saying that the people who don’t vote in the thing are the wider half of the fan base? Cuz if so you’re right

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Like Nakoruru's face is on the box of her latest game and it was her that got a crossover appearance in another fighting game?
Look, I'm not gonna argue about this. SNK has straight up said she's their mascot. If their actions don't bare that out, that's on them.

Does SquareEnix even have a mascot?
It's either a Chocobo or a Slime.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I care more about what the core fanbase wants than what the casual fanbase wants.

Should Nintendo be the same? I'm not sure how core vs casual translates to sales.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Look, I'm not gonna argue about this. SNK has straight up said she's their mascot. If their actions don't bare that out, that's on them.
I find it hilarious that Nakoruru is the mascot when her home series keeps has dry spells for 7 - 8 years at a time.

The last game before the SS reboot was a ****ing pachinko game.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean, you coulda said the same thing about Mega Man for a long time as well.
Was Mega Man the definitive mascot of Capcom?

I remember him taking it from Captain Commando in the 80s but I think Street Fighter took over in the mid-90's.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Was Mega Man the definitive mascot of Capcom?

I remember him taking it from Captain Commando in the 80s but I think Street Fighter took over in the mid-90's.
I dunno if they ever officially changed it. Pretty sure it was still Mega Man even during the SF2 era(as being the most popular character is not the same thing as being a mascot). Not sure if they changed it during the dark ages of Mega Man, but I'm not sure who they would have changed it TO if they did.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't understand why people hate Kiddy Kong. Is it because Dixie Kong was so much more useful, 'cuz that's kind of par for the course.
Kiddy just got the problem that he isn't either Diddy or Donkey. And I get the decision, it's hard to make Dixie the star of the game with either of those included in the main party with her. That and his design irks some people. I liked playing him back in the day over Dixie, cause he controlled much like Diddy, in a way. Moreso than Dixie. But I would pick Dixie now, just not in DKC2.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
so we’re just gonna ignore how Steve is essentially the mascot of gaming as a whole
?

Gaming as a brand doesn't exist, so arguing about the mascot of gaming doesn't make much sense. Movies don't have an universal representative or mascot.
In any case, I don't get at all why you answered my post with that, it seems a bit random.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I've been seeing quite a bit of some support for Sakura Wars lately. Did anything happen with the franchise recently?
A new Sakura Wars game was released for Japan last year the same day as the Game Awards, and it's coming down to the West this month. Don't know if they're rescheduling the date with all that's happening, but that's the gist of it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Kiddy just got the problem that he isn't either Diddy or Donkey. And I get the decision, it's hard to make Dixie the star of the game with either of those included in the main party with her. That and his design irks some people. I liked playing him back in the day over Dixie, cause he controlled much like Diddy, in a way. Moreso than Dixie. But I would pick Dixie now, just not in DKC2.
I guess that means he would be more well received in a sequel to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze sequel since Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong would definitely be in it. EDIT: And his design will be a bit more appealing since everyone looks better in the new series than the old.

Imagine if they brought back the entire DK Crew with the next game. That'd be cool.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
?

Gaming as a brand doesn't exist, so arguing about the mascot of gaming doesn't make much sense. Movies don't have an universal representative or mascot.
In any case, I don't get at all why you answered my post with that, it seems a bit random.
Yes, gaming can have a mascot. It doesn’t need to be established. The CEO of gaming doesn’t need to say “This guy is the mascot!” Crazy, I know. But it turns out, a mascot can also be something that represents something else. Minecraft is the best selling game of all time. When people talk about some of the most well known games, they talk about Minecraft. Minecraft has been with us for a decade. Safe to say Steve or a Creeper is the unofficial mascot of gaming as a whole.
and I replied to your post because the post you were replying to was saying they thought Steve had a better chance than Master Chief, so if we were to get a Microsoft character, it would be Steve. You replied back saying you thought Master Chief could get in based on his status of mascot alone. If that was the case, Steve would be getting in Smash 10 times before Master Chief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom