• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You forgot Phoenix Wright.

Also, there's probably a lot more than 10 singular characters you can group into "most requested". Probably more of a group of 20 or even 50.
I don't think the "most requested" characters are gonna make up an even number, either.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You forgot Phoenix Wright.

Also, there's probably a lot more than 10 singular characters you can group into "most requested". Probably more of a group of 20 or even 50.
So replace Dante with Wright then perhaps?

I just figured these characters because these are the ones I come upon in terms of being requested.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
1. Waluigi
2. Sora
3. Crash Bandicoot
4. Geno
5. Isaac
6. Lloyd Irving
7. Dixie Kong
8. Bandana Dee
9. Steve
10. Dante

Would you guys say these are the current most requested characters not yet in Smash?
You guys should probably just wait until the results of the Source Gaming poll get released tbh. Won't take that long anymore hopefully.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You guys should probably just wait until the results of the Source Gaming poll get released tbh. Won't take that long anymore hopefully.
And then follow Source Gaming's poll as gospel and be hypocrites after saying that fan polls don't mean much in the long run? :bobomb:

For all we know, we have another "I voted for Bayonetta 300 times every day" episode and KOS-MOS skyrockets with 80% of the votes.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Tell me about it.

I'll give Peach a free ride since she's...ya know, their ruler, but jesus christ Daisy is seventeen years old as a character and doesn't even have a basic characterization like who she actually rules set in stone.

Peach has the Toads, Bowser has the Koopa Troopas(amongst others), Rosalina has the Lumas, Pauline(though not member of royalty) has the New Donkers...even Wart had Shy Guys.

All the many years of fans talking about how different Daisy could be and how she deserves to be more than just a Peach recolour and that's essentially all she ended up as in Smash. She's Alph level with a tweaked taunt animation.
Yeah I'd say that, like Waluigi, she's been screwed over pretty hard. Neither appear in mainline titles after their inception (neither does Wario, which I think is a missed opportunity, but at least he gets a few side series), and in Smash, Daisy gets a bunch of Peach's traits shoved onto her. Giving her Peach's float especialy bothers me since her second outing in the 2D space establishes that she double jumps instead. In my opinion she should have gotten a third jump instead of floating at the very least. And Waluigi, well, I hope he gets his chance another day, and that they actually use him in mainline stuff.

And Chunky after Wrinkly.

Wait... she's also dead.
That means Chunky can be Wrinkly's Echo Fighter! :troll:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Yeah I'd say that, like Waluigi, she's been screwed over pretty hard. Neither appear in mainline titles after their inception (neither does Wario, which I think is a missed opportunity, but at least he gets a few side series), and in Smash, Daisy gets a bunch of Peach's traits shoved onto her. Giving her Peach's float especialy bothers me since her second outing in the 2D space establishes that she double jumps instead. In my opinion she should have gotten a third jump instead of floating at the very least. And Waluigi, well, I hope he gets his chance another day, and that they actually use him in mainline stuff.
At least she gets some memes and some people play her a lot
Waluigi just gets memes

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Past Smash Bros popularly requested characters as the years go on:

written out of history.jpg

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
1. Waluigi
2. Sora
3. Crash Bandicoot
4. Geno
5. Isaac
6. Lloyd Irving
7. Dixie Kong
8. Bandana Dee
9. Steve
10. Dante

Would you guys say these are the current most requested characters not yet in Smash?
No. Because no one has any idea who the most requested characters are since we're all living within our own bubbles of speculation. Even this list is riddled with holes in placements, inclusions , and exclusions, as would my own.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
At least she gets some memes and some people play her a lot
Waluigi just gets memes
Although Waluigi doesn't have a stan that is infamous all across the internet...

They still both deserve way better than their current lot in life.

Smash Bros popular requested characters as the years go on:
If the context of this image is what I think it is then...

Oh no.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
No. Because no one has any idea who the most requested characters are since we're all living within our own bubbles of speculation. Even this list is riddled with holes in placements, inclusions , and exclusions, as would my own.
We can agree on Waluigi, Sora, Crash and Geno probably being in the top though yes?

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Yes. Let us wait until another fan poll, which suffers from the same oversights as all of them do, and then treat that as gospel until it is proven wrong by a single reveal.
We can agree on Waluigi, Sora, Crash and Geno probably being in the top though yes?
No. I can't.

I can say that they're probably some of the most popular within our bubble of speculation. But overall, it's near impossible to say who are objectively the most requested or "popular."

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Yes. Let us wait until another fan poll, which suffers from the same oversights as all of them do, and then treat that as gospel until it is proven wrong by a single reveal.
Nobody said we’re gonna go and act like the fan poll is absolute confirmation of the next fighter. It just tells us who’s highly requested right now. Some of us may just be curious.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
And then follow Source Gaming's poll as gospel and be hypocrites after saying that fan polls don't mean much in the long run? :bobomb:

For all we know, we have another "I voted for Bayonetta 300 times every day" episode and KOS-MOS skyrockets with 80% of the votes.
Off course it's not gonna be 100% definitive but it certainly seems more accurate than just ranking the characters based on how often you see their name show up on this website. I'm not saying you should treat it as gospel.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Nobody said we’re gonna go and act like the fan poll is absolute confirmation of the next fighter. It just tells us who’s highly requested right now. Some of us may just be curious.
Will people take it as absolute confirmation of the next fighter? No. Some might, but they'll be rightfully laughed off.

But will people take it as absolute confirmation of who's "highly requested?" More than likely, when that isn't the case.

I've written about the flaws in Smash fan polls before. They are not representative of the wider population of Smash fans, and can only be used as indicators of who is popular in the core fanbase, which in of itself is a smaller part of the wider fanbase.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Obligatory reminder that this is not a criteria for getting in. If FP1 couldn't be full of the biggest third-parties in the world, and FP2 is starting with ARMS, what chance does FP2 have of it being like that?
Pretty much. ARMS' sales have been at a standstill for almost two years now, and that didn't stop it from getting a character.

While I do think the success of a game can play a part in characters getting added in Smash, sales alone don't indicate how likely a character is.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I voted for Captain Toad and once again for Toad. Some of my friends threw in a vote for Toad too since they've known I've wanted him since Smash 64.

My reward was a mild aesthetic improvement in Peach's moveset.

And Daisy's.

Great.
At least Peach is Top Tier now. Doesn't that help with the pain a little?
There's a Swanky Kong? I must see this!

EDIT:
You mean, glorious of course.

Also l,.can't believe I myself forgot about KIDDY KONG. This happens a lot with us DKC fans...

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
All right let's just drop it. Regardless of when he became popular, he was at least hugely popular during the ballot era, and this popularity got him into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Let's get back to doing some actual character speculation, preferably about Fighters Pack #7, since we've said pretty much all there is to say about the ARMS character.
I believe FP7 will be either Shantae or Sakura.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Will people take it as absolute confirmation of the next fighter? No. Some might, but they'll be rightfully laughed off.

But will people take it as absolute confirmation of who's "highly requested?" More than likely, when that isn't the case.

I've written about the flaws in Smash fan polls before. They are not representative of the wider population of Smash fans, and can only be used as indicators of who is popular in the core fanbase, which in of itself is a smaller part of the wider fanbase.
They’re not exact. You can’t go “Waluigi was ranked number 1! He’s the most highly requested character!” Because obviously it has many flaws and holes and whatnot which keep it from being accurate. But if the character is in the top 15, it’s pretty much safe to say that they’re highly requested (unless there is an actual flaw, which would be obvious).

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I still think Steve has very high chance of being in. It's still in the top 5 eshop sales of last month, he have a game coming in May, and honestly Minecraft is just too big to be ignored. Sakurai said that Smash ultimate is basically the video game crossover now, and you can't pretend to be the video game crossover and ignoring Minecraft.

As for Chief, honestly I think his chance are pretty low because Halo was never that big in Japan and he have no presence on Switch. People start supporting it a lot because of that rumor about Master chief collection on Switch, but we haven't heard anything new about it so it might be fake.
I don't think anyone's supporting Master Chief because of the MCC rumours, if anything that's fuel to add more speculation around the possibility of Chief in Smash.
Master Chief case is very simple. He's ****ing Master Chief and he being in Smash is enough reason to support him. If there's a character who could join Smash without having any presence on Nintendo consoles that's Master Chief because that would be one of the selling points of the character. Due to his Xbox's mascot status you don't really need more to justify his inclusion. Same would apply for a Sony character.
Not trying to say Chief's likely, he's not, it's just that now he seems somewhat possible thanks to Banjo's inclusion and the good relationshiop between Nintendo and Microsoft.

To put an example, imagine Sony decides to make a new Playstation All Stars game and eventually for some reason there's the chance to put Mario in the game because Nintendo is being nice and wants to do it. You do really think Sony would say nope to Mario and the reason to decline it's because there aren't Super Mario games on Playstation?

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
What did he say?

If this is about what he said regarding Nintendo in his recent interview, nothing he said disconfirms another Microsoft character, especially not Minecraft which is already on every system imaginable and is pretty much 100% ran by Mojang since Microsoft lets them do their own thing.
Yeah it was his remark about fans thinking that Microsoft and Nintendo are collaborating a lot more than they actually are -- basically 'curb your enthusiasm'. Given he's addressed smash directly before (with banjo), and that ended up coming to fruition, I'm taking him for his word here.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even if people take them too seriously, I don't see the harm in polls. I like looking at them just because I find them interesting. I also like participating in polls that let you choose from preselected characters; it's a weird sort of fun that I can't explain.

Yeah, it can be annoying when someone tries to use a random poll with a very narrow scope to argue how likely a character is, but I would never stand against any unofficial poll that's made just for fun.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I rebember that for Smash ballot I voted for Bayonetta, why ? Because at that time (spring 2015) I had recently played her games (I bought a WiiU in early 2015 with Smash 4 and Bayo 1+2) and really enjoyed it. When the ballot go live, I thought “Bayonetta could be a really cool fighter, her games are masterpieces, shouldn’t be too much trouble to get her rights as Nintendo paid for the sequel and as she is from a hack and slash game, her moveset for Smash would be very easy to implement”. Then she was chose and I was very happy :)

Rebember guys, the question is not “who is the most requested character?”, beacause, everyone has different tastes and is being influent by the games that they played and like . The real question is “who is the character that least people would complain if it gets in Smash?”.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Also l,.can't believe I myself forgot about KIDDY KONG. This happens a lot with us DKC fans...
I don't understand why people hate Kiddy Kong. Is it because Dixie Kong was so much more useful, 'cuz that's kind of par for the course.

I believe FP7 will be either Shantae or Sakura.
I've been seeing quite a bit of some support for Sakura Wars lately. Did anything happen with the franchise recently?

Yeah it was his remark about fans thinking that Microsoft and Nintendo are collaborating a lot more than they actually are -- basically 'curb your enthusiasm'. Given he's addressed smash directly before (with banjo), and that ended up coming to fruition, I'm taking him for his word here.
To be fair though the instance you're talking about was also was him telling Banjo-Kazooie fans not to hold their breath for their inclusion. I don't believe he lied or anything like a lot of people tried to argue, but I wouldn't say him saying something like that would indicate that there isn't a Microsoft character in the works.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The real question is “who is the character that least people would complain if it gets in Smash?”.
Pft. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :ultbyleth:

No. In reality there's no single criteria for picking a character for this series.

EDIT: Sorry if this is a bit harsh in tone...

Woah woah bro you gotta pick one that's not how this works you're breakin da rules here
Rules were made to be broken!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom