• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
This makes me wonder...

I know Cosmic77 loves Zacian, but I think most people would prefer a Pokémon from a different generation. So, what is everyone's ideal Pokémon pick when disregarding likelihood. Pretend there's a gun to your head and you have to pick one regardless of whether you want one or not.
Garchomp, also if she's able to have Cynthia in the background like Pokémon Trainer, that's just icing on the cake.

Honorable mention goes to:
Gardevoir, Lopunny, Zacian, Primarina, Hawlucha, Zoroark, Arcanine, and Cinderace.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Welcome! Hope you enjoy Fire Emblem.

This is one of the most plausible outcomes, imo.

I can't imagine this pass comes and goes without at least one fan-favourite. And with Square seemingly willing to play ball and the lack of some of the past costumes, it seems possible.

However, people really like to read into those two videos being flagged. But if that were truly meaningful, the same would've been done on other channels that host those tracks. However, it's exceedingly easy to still find them with a simple search on Youtube. Moreover, that channel had a history of Nintendo flagging one or two pieces so as to notify the uploader to remove the entire playlist. They said as much.

That theory really doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Well, you gotta keep in mind that Nintendo has never included a third-party for promotional reasons. They barely include first-parties for promotional reasons. People might invoke Hero, but the promotional aspect of that character was likely a stipulation from SE due to the serendipitous timing of DQ11's Switch release. Because obviously the Hero is not a character that needs to bank on promotion to be included.

So leaning on something that doesn't have precedent really on makes it, at best, possible. I mean, for years people have ascribed a third-party showing up in a recent game to an inevitable Smash inclusion, and that's never really panned out. Just for Ultimate people were saying it about Crash, Doom Slayer, Amaterasu, Rabbids, Dovahkiin, Neku, Solaire, Tracer, and any other number of characters.

The biggest point Travis does have is that Suda seems pretty persistent in trying to get him in. Now that we're getting third-parties around his level, Sakurai might relent. Though worth noting is that Suda's desire for Travis in Smash was never spurred by the fanbase. If anything, his persistence re-galvanized fans of Travis, considering the character has never had top-tier popularity or anything.

All that said, I wouldn't be surprised if Travis showed up, but I think a lot of the signs people are reading in favour of Travis aren't actually that important. I think they're overrating his likelihood a bit.

ARMS and Rex are only related because Sakurai would've included them had timing been different. But now Sakurai isn't calling the shots. We aren't getting an ARMS rep because Sakurai now is able to go back and accommodate characters he lacked time for previously. We're getting ARMS because Nintendo chose ARMS. What Sakurai wants seemingly isn't a factor here.

And not only is Nintendo not promoting Xenoblade 2 right now, but they're actively promoting a different Xenoblade game. The path that ARMS is taking seems unavailable to a character like Rex. The relation the two have is only pertinent if Sakurai is helming things. And even then, it's not like one truly informs the other.

It's possible. You make solid points in Rayman's favour; the two companies do a good working relationship. And Rayman would presumably be the go-to character for Ubisoft. Lord knows they're on board with it.

But you also have to consider that, were we to get Rayman, it seems quite strange and potentially damning that not only would costumes from his company arrive in a different wave, but a character from his own series does as well. The pieces don't quite fit.

I mean, Ubisoft probably wouldn't get the Capcom treatment whereby they have so many costumes you'd break it up across multiple waves. Most people see the Ubi costumes as a point in favour of Rayman, but I see it as the opposite.

Yup.

Though I wouldn't place that much importance on the typing trifecta since that's never really seemed to be that pertinent to informing inclusions. And frankly I'd just completely disregard Toxitricity since the main thing his expectation stems around seems to be above-average popularity, which hasn't mattered for Pokemon for a long, long, long time. Especially since the choice would've probably been made last year before we even knew about the character.

I know it seems like I came down hard on your choices, but I actually think most of them are entirely plausible additions. Overall it's definitely more realistic than other potential passes I've seen. It's mostly just some of the reasoning I think is a little off-base rather than the selections themselves.

Having said that, we as a community are usually super terrible at correctly predicting DLC, so if the only character you got right was the ARMS one, that also wouldn't surprise me. I guess that's part of the fun. :laugh:
Thank you for the welcome, and I totally understand some of your points. I still think these characters are pretty likely but I understand some of your reasoning. :)

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think Breath of the Wild is the only game where Link has been more than just a vessel for the player. In every other game you even get to name him whatever you want.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
you know steve and alex have official minecraft merchandise with their name plastered on it right
Yeah but they don’t even push him in the game. I wouldn’t know he had a name if it weren’t for smashboards lol. He is a skin and has 0 personality points.

Yes he is. It's literally what inspired his name.
He has a personality, a unique backstory and he isn’t customizable look wise and has a unique name, those together make him not an avatar character.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah but they don’t even push him in the game. I wouldn’t know he had a name if it weren’t for smashboards lol. He is a skin and has 0 personality points.

Steve can still work as a character as :4villager: did for Animal Crossing, they're two peas in similar pods. If you don't want a Minecraft character, that's fine, it ain't that deep bro. You aren't gonna convince me that I'm wrong and should move to stupid town for thinking he can get in.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Why is he still mute then?
This seems like specious reasoning. I wouldn’t call characters like Doom Slayer, Crono or Gordon Freeman avatars, but I would for characters like Robin and Commander Shepard, despite being talkative.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
BotW used flashback scenes and yet I still have no clue who Link is. That's unacceptable. Even Ocarina of Time Link had a sufficient backstory. But here I don't even know why he was chosen as Champion in the first place. The ONLY piece of information we get is that his father was a guard. 'Kay, and? :yoshi:

MagnesD3

Smash Master

Steve can still work as a character as :4villager: did for Animal Crossing, they're two peas in similar pods. If you don't want a Minecraft character, that's fine, it ain't that deep bro. You aren't gonna convince me that I'm wrong and should move to stupid town for thinking he can get in.
I didn’t say you can’t want him, I’m just saying he isn’t a character or a mascot. In smash of course he can work, he probably have would a unique moveset.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I’m just saying he isn’t a character or a mascot
He is a character, though. A customizable one, he's still a character all the same, just as Alex is. He's the only realizable Minecraft character you can get, unless you have a sick Creeper moveset for me. :nifty:

His status as a default skin doesn't seem to decrease his chances, we have similar faces that are barely characters at all. The Villagers are blank slates and Mr. Game & Watch is a made-up composite of all Game & Watch games and hasn't existed prior to Melee. Big deal, he's a customizable character, that's fine. If he has unique moves for the table, why should his face matter?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Plusle & Minun.

C'mon it was a great idea back then and it still is today!
I'd love to see how their cheerleading (Helping Hand) mechanic would work.

Zoroark and Lycanroc are two I'd like to see in Smash, especially the former since Gen V was neglected on the roster. I think it'd be really cool if Zoroark had some kind of illusion ability that would completely transform him into any character, but taking damage would break the illusion.
I think Zoroark would work best as a part of a trainer character. That way it could use its Illusion ability as a tool for mindgames rather than just turning the match into a ditto for a bit.

The real thing though is that my #1 most favorite just wouldn't work as a playable fighter. He'd work best as a Pokéball summon. But srsly, if someone got it to work...
ARCANINE, I CHOOSE YOU!
When I was young I actually made a Growlithe moveset. Arcanine would be the next best thing, and I would love it to death.

You know what we need more of in Smash?

1.Aliens

2.Clowns

And do you know what I say to that?
I forgot about most of the Ultra Beasts but this makes me love Blacephelon.

My favorite Pokemon would make few people happy. However, If I had to choose: Togekiss.
Aw yeeeeah! Can't wait to stun everyone with Air Slash!

He has a personality, a unique backstory and he isn’t customizable look wise and has a unique name, those together make him not an avatar character.
Aside from being the embodiment of courage, his personality is mostly what you project onto him, unique backstories aren't exclusive to non-avatar characters, you can rename him in most games, and in this one you can select his outfit. He is as much of an avatar as Byleth is.

EDIT: In fact he's probably a bit more of one in certain regards.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
He is a character, though. A customizable one, he's still a character all the same, just as Alex is. He's the only realizable Minecraft character you can get, unless you have a sick Creeper moveset for me. :nifty:

His status as a default skin doesn't seem to decrease his chances, we have similar faces that are barely characters at all. The Villagers are blank slates and Mr. Game & Watch is a made-up composite of all Game & Watch games and hasn't existed prior to Melee. Big deal, he's a customizable character, that's fine. If he has unique moves for the table, why should his face matter?
Oh no it doesn’t decrease his chances significantly at all but when it comes to wanting playable characters I only want actual iconic “characters” to get in, that’s all. To me Minecraft is one of those series that deserves a stage at best even though a character could have a unique moveset, but any character can have a unique one of those.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
How many characters do you expect to be revealed in the June direct: 2 or 3?
Just 2, the ARMS character and the guy after that. Not expecting anything I'll get hyped over, but I'm open for welcome surprises.

If it's Kiryu or Travis, I lose my ****.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
How many characters do you expect to be revealed in the June direct: 2 or 3?
1-2. I don't know how much the scheduling is going to have to shift, but I'd say Challenger Pack #8 isn't going to be ready to show by then.

Question though: It may be too early to tell, but if we do get Challenger Pack #7's character reveal, when do you think will be the release date?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Reminder that they expect this DLC to run up until around December 2021, and that was before the coronavirus. It's just an estimate they came up with, but they were pretty close to the expected date for the first pass (February 2020).

Personally, I would play it safe and be prepared for ARMS and nothing else. We still have a year and six months after June to divvy out five more characters.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Reminder that they expect this DLC to run up until around December 2021, and that was before the coronavirus. It's just an estimate they came up with, but they were pretty close to the expected date for the first pass (February 2020).

Personally, I would play it safe and be prepared for ARMS and nothing else. We still have a year and six months after June to divvy out five more characters.
the December 2021 thing is just a placeholder date, even with the Coronavirus situation.

D

Deleted member

Oh boy you guys this week's Smash Tourney was just announced:

It's time for the Brawl for All!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

****ing hell, Wario's riding into the goddamn sky like it's the end of Grease.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Clearly a hint that they're finally completing the Forbidden Seven and adding back the cut characters from Brawl.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
You know, I wonder if Steve is being slept on. I mean I'm not the collective minds of Nintendo corporate, but I'm pretty curious about him. I still stand by him not being able to work as a Mii costume, his limbs literally cannot bend.

Banjo VS Steve wars are over, and I'm not seeing no Master Chief or Fulgore I JUST WANT FULGORE GOD DAMMIT so maybe he's still viable.
Yeah I've been giving it some thought recently, and the current lack of Minecraft content in the game in any form shocks me. I assumed that after Banjo was chosen we'd get Steve along as either a Mii costume or a spirit but that never materialized. For a game that has constantly been one of the best sellers on the Switch since very early in it's lifespan and one we know Sakurai himself is even a fan of, there is surprisingly still nothing to show for it in Smash. We even have Minecraft to thank for setting precedent that allowed us to get Banjo in Smash. What has further surprised me is that we now have Cuphead spirits and a Mii costume, another Microsoft IP that is not as successful and hasn't been on the Switch as long as Minecraft (I'm not trying to discount Cuphead in any way btw, just pointing out that Minecraft has a leg up on it) which still has nothing to show. What I'm getting at is that I think it's undeniable that something Minecraft has to show up in the game at some point whether that be in the form of a character, Mii costume, or something in between. I find the lack of Minecraft content this late in the cycle very intriguing. It's almost as if they're holding it back for something. I could just be reading too much into this but it's something I wanted to bring up nonetheless.
People should stop trying to speak for eras they weren't around in.
Waluigi was undeniably the most requested character leading up to 64. I know this because I wasn't even born yet.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

**** what a stellar group of newcomers Brawl had.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Clearly a hint that they're finally completing the Forbidden Seven and adding back the cut characters from Brawl.

Tetra was never a member of the Forbidden 7. That'd be Toon Sheik, another made-up variation on a character. The term "Toon" was not actually a thing till Smash either. Coupled with the names always being an accurate indication, and that if he meant Tetra, he would've named the file that. In addition, he makes up characters for Smash enough(names or otherwise. Giga Bowser and Mr. Game & Watch are unique variations on their forms. Toon Sheik wouldn't have been any different). In addition, we don't have enough information on Pra_Mai to for sure say it was them. It likely was, as they'd make for an easy replacement for Pichu similar to how Toon Link was for Young Link, due to similar proportions and potential movesets.

More than likely he'd have changed out Toon Sheik to become Tetra due to an easily usable model as well. Besides that, Zelda isn't listed as "Toon Zelda" till Hyrule Warriors otherwise. Not even her trophy says that in Smash. Showing how much the "Toon" term is meant for playable characters as well. Then you have Toon Link taking a clone approach just like Young Link did. It makes sense he'd do the same for Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik. Considering half the of the characters are made up, it makes some sense why it was scrapped. It'd take too long for some extra clones. Who knows why Mewtwo was lower priority. Roy and Dr. Mario were previous clones, so that could be part of why. Dixie's moveset didn't work with Diddy as planned, but he was also the bigger of the two, hence him still being added. Pra_Mai, assuming it's Plusle & Minun was also not the latest Generation(incidentally Pokemon Trainer did use the Gen I remake design via the Gen III cartridges), so Lucario makes sense to prioritize(also from a movie, so that might consider it a far bigger character for Sakurai to choose. That, and the tag team factor might've made them harder to make for all we know).

I think Breath of the Wild is the only game where Link has been more than just a vessel for the player. In every other game you even get to name him whatever you want.
Ironically he gained way more avatar-like traits, including significantly more customization, less dialogue choices overall, and more weapons than you can shake a ball and chain at.

...It's also one of the few games other than ALTTP/ALBW where Lynels actually were highly strong. They're mostly damage sponges in the first game, and the Oracle games they're a bit too easy.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I’ve noticed this becoming a trend online, so I figured I’d make my own, because I’m bored.

Pick 3 characters to add to Smash.
I’m actually really curious who the most desired Nintendo characters are nowadays.
of the characters in that picture only rex. the rest are meh to me.
any three I want:
Dante
Lara croft
2B

Kind of? Nothing wrong with including both of them in the picture.
wait so zelda would have a total of 7 characters and three total unique characters??? that is just lame. Free midna. or give us a champion instead.

No. more. electirc. rats. period.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I’ve noticed this becoming a trend online, so I figured I’d make my own, because I’m bored.

Pick 3 characters to add to Smash.
I’m actually really curious who the most desired Nintendo characters are nowadays.
Bandana Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, Isaac/Waluigi (whichever of the two comes first).

This makes me wonder...

I know Cosmic77 loves Zacian, but I think most people would prefer a Pokémon from a different generation. So, what is everyone's ideal Pokémon pick when disregarding likelihood. Pretend there's a gun to your head and you have to pick one regardless of whether you want one or not.
Plusle and Minun, hands-down. Speaking of which...

Man, wouldn't it be such a trip if they really went and did this?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Any variation of Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf would be disappointing just because it would keep alive the idea that only Triforce members can get in Smash.

It's a really dumb rule that a lot of people believe in. Makes as much sense as "BotW Link can't get in because Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf all have to come from the same game."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Insert badass Brawl main theme.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Makes as much sense as "BotW Link can't get in because Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf all have to come from the same game."
I forgot that that was a thing people genuinely believed. I think I saw some rosters that straight up removed Ganondorf or that were guessing that they were going to give him a lame guardian redesign to fit in before Ultimate's reveal based on that stupid belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom