• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I’ve noticed this becoming a trend online, so I figured I’d make my own, because I’m bored.

Pick 3 characters to add to Smash.
I’m actually really curious who the most desired Nintendo characters are nowadays.
Bandana Dee and Gen 8 Mon (Mr.Rime/Grimmsnarl) for sure. The last slot is up in the air - maybe Paper Mario?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Kind of out of nowhere, but if I had to throw together a list of my most wanted, it’d look like this in no particular order:

1) Rex
2) Isaac
3) Resident Evil
4) Dante
5) 2B
6) Crash Bandicoot
7) Geralt of Rivia
8) Sora
9) Lloyd Irving
10) A curveball

I still have a pretty decent amount of potential wants, though most are 3rd parties. Given the fact that my gaming interests have certainly changed since I first started speculating for Smash Wii U, that’s naturally where my tastes have led me.

There are only a few 1st parties that really jive with me, and even then I don’t actually know how likely they are in the grand scheme of things. Then again, it seems every time a character I didn’t expect gets revealed I end up getting hyped about it anyway.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ngl, Brawl had, in my opinion, the best set of newcomers relative to each game's own timeframe.
No arguments here.

It would be very challenging to surpass Brawl’s collective additions in any future game, imo. While still being realistic, of course.

andree123

Smash Ace
Oh boy you guys this week's Smash Tourney was just announced:

It's time for the Brawl for All!
Man, Brawl had the best modes and best newcomers ever in the smash bros series.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Kind of out of nowhere, but if I had to throw together a list of my most wanted, it’d look like this in no particular order:

1) Rex
2) Isaac
3) Resident Evil
4) Dante
5) 2B
6) Crash Bandicoot
7) Geralt of Rivia
8) Sora
9) Lloyd Irving
10) A curveball

I still have a pretty decent amount of potential wants, though most are 3rd parties. Given the fact that my gaming interests have certainly changed since I first started speculating for Smash Wii U, that’s naturally where my tastes have led me.

There are only a few 1st parties that really jive with me, and even then I don’t actually know how likely they are in the grand scheme of things. Then again, it seems every time a character I didn’t expect gets revealed I end up getting hyped about it anyway.
Have we established if Geralt qualifies for Smash? The whole "based on a book series" thing has kinda thrown me off...

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I loved Brawl. Great set of newcomers, great visuals, and I really had a lot of fun with SSE.

tbh Sm4sh was a real letdown after that for me. It's funny - I wasn't even going to get the 3DS version until they announced Mewtwo, and that ended up being superior due to Smash Run. There is something about the platforming sections that made Smash really fun, and I'm a bit disappointed that you don't get those in Ultimate, save for that one bit right before the final boss in WoL.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
I’ve noticed this becoming a trend online, so I figured I’d make my own, because I’m bored.

I’m actually really curious who the most desired Nintendo characters are nowadays.
Out of all of these it'd choose Skull Kid Ashley and Bandanna Waddle Dee.
Just my desired Nintendo characters would be Dark Matter, Vaati and either Fjorm or Lyn.
This makes me wonder...

I know Cosmic77 loves Zacian, but I think most people would prefer a Pokémon from a different generation. So, what is everyone's ideal Pokémon pick when disregarding likelihood. Pretend there's a gun to your head and you have to pick one regardless of whether you want one or not.
Now I could go on and on about Pokemon fighters but the ones I want disregarding likelihood are just my two favorites which are Marshadow and Regigigas which would both be really cool and having Regigigas would be really funny because i'm pretty sure he'd be the biggest or close to the biggest character if he was added.

D

Deleted member

1) Rex
2) Isaac
3) Resident Evil
4) Dante
5) 2B
6) Crash Bandicoot
7) Geralt of Rivia
8) Sora
9) Lloyd Irving
10) A curveball

Funny how we share a similar mindset. While I have a list of over 15 characters I want in my sig, it's ever-changing and evolving with each game series I get into.

Also being honest, I just don't play Smash Ultimate much anymore. It's a great party-game, but that's all it is to me. Unlike Smash 4, I don't like playing it competitively and usually just go back to play the DLC characters with friends. I'm just here because I like seeing new characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

BZocky

Smash Ace
Oh boy you guys this week's Smash Tourney was just announced:

It's time for the Brawl for All!
All that’s missing is an update on the ‘ol Dojo to officially introduce it :wario:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This makes me wonder...

I know Cosmic77 loves Zacian, but I think most people would prefer a Pokémon from a different generation. So, what is everyone's ideal Pokémon pick when disregarding likelihood. Pretend there's a gun to your head and you have to pick one regardless of whether you want one or not.
:215:

Because :215: is still the best

ZelDan

Smash Master
For me, Smash 4 is still easily the Smash game that had the best newcomers. :ultmegaman::ultcloud::ultbayonetta: are still some of the most hype announcements in Smash for me. But still, :ultpalutena::ultrosalina::ultlucina: were also great, the JRPG fan in me appreciated :ultshulk: being added (despite not being as big a fan of XC1 as others; Shulk himself and the Monado are cool though), and while I don't care THAT much :ultpacman: or have played any of his games beyond some of his arcade stuff, I still liked his inclusion just because of how hugely iconic and important to gaming he is. To a lesser extent I felt that way about :ultryu:, have minimal experience with the Street fighter franchise, but Ryu is probably the most iconic fighting game character, and Smash is a fighting game, so Smash having Ryu was neat from that perspective.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
This makes me wonder...

Meowth, forever and always. Also sorta into the idea of a human trainer being playable and fighting with like, rods and bikes and stuff

Goombaic

Smash Ace
NGL, I legitimately forgot this Pokemon existed. I thought Weavile was his own Pokemon.
I only remember a majority of the Pokemon Gen 4 gave evolutions to because I can't believe some if them didn't have those evolutions. Imagine a world where Yanma and Togetic didn't have evolutions.

MoonTron

Smash Rookie
All the ARMS characters don't even stand the same way. For example, Ninjara is crouched down when stands and moves. People keep suggesting that these characters can all be alts but never actually played the game long enough to notice that every character moves and animates differently. Seeing a Ninjara stand up and run like Spring Man would look weird as hell.
That's a very "nothing" statement.

We all know that the Koopalings look and stand and act very different to Jr ... are even completely different shapes and sizes compared to him and each other, but we see what happened there.
Ganon has been cursed with Smash ignoring his canon fighting style for a loong time before he finally got some amount of sword love and even then he didn't look "weird as hell" fighting like CF.

A ninja themed dude not being prema crouched isn't some eye-shore.

ARMs is legit the only fighting game I've seen where all the PCs could be summed up in a composite character move-set. But at the same time you could DECIDE to make them very different. Could take the Ninja and give him the ninja star ARMs and "make up" more Ninja stuff for him to do other than just vanishing dodge. Could take Ribbon Girl and balance her around having 3+ jumps and "make up" idol/ pop-star looking moves for her to do as attacks. You can have Twin actually use all of her limbs to attack instead of just her ARMs and make a cool character who uses 4 arms and 2 legs ... or you could take any of these characters and have then use a basic ARMs move-set instead of something made up and tailored to their design.

Because outside of the visual differences in character design they all "attack" the same way and game play wise they're so completely different to SMASH and are so restricted in what they can do that nothing they do is some kinda easy logical transition to smash (unlike other fighting games that made it in).

Tis why I suggested an inverted Mii fighter set-up. Same slot, different body shapes, same move-set with minor differences plus maybe some limited choices in ARMs. Select some number of characters and bam, you got a good number of ARMs roster repped. Smash is no stranger to looking past someone's unique trait to make something that, as a whole, better reps the game.

D

Deleted member

I really try not to block people but sometimes there's just no other recourse.
Not my fault Brawl used Weavile instead of Sneasel. I'm not Brian David Gilbert and had to memorize all 812 names.

I only remember a majority of the Pokemon Gen 4 gave evolutions to because I can't believe some if them didn't have those evolutions. Imagine a world where Yanma and Togetic didn't have evolutions.
Holy **** I forgot this Pokemon existed, but I'm even more shocked it had an evolution (pictured below). God I need to play Gen 4 again.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
For me, Smash 4 is still easily the Smash game that had the best newcomers. :ultmegaman::ultcloud::ultbayonetta: are still some of the most hype announcements in Smash for me. But still, :ultpalutena::ultrosalina::ultlucina: were also great, the JRPG fan in me appreciated :ultshulk: being added (despite not being as big a fan of XC1 as others; Shulk himself and the Monado are cool though), and while I don't care THAT much :ultpacman: or have played any of his games beyond some of his arcade stuff, I still liked his inclusion just because of how hugely iconic and important to gaming he is. To a lesser extent I felt that way about :ultryu:, have minimal experience with the Street fighter franchise, but Ryu is probably the most iconic fighting game character, and Smash is a fighting game, so Smash having Ryu was neat from that perspective.
Honestly back in 2014 I thought that Smash 4 has the weakest newcomer by far. I was pretty hype from the 3 first announced (villager, Mega man and Wii fit trainer), but after that I didn't care about most of the characters (Fire emblem, Little mac, Rosalina, Palutena, Mii, Pac-man, Shulk, Greninja). After that, I was super excited for Duck hunt and Bowser jr., but everything in the middle was just so weak for me. I still respect Smash 4 because at least they we're trying to bring more new franchise (wii fit, animal crossing, punch out, xenoblade, and duck hunt which is surprisingly more new franchises than Brawl and Melee) and pretty much each newcomer bring something new gameplay wise. Looking back on it, I guess it wasn't that bad, but really aside from Mega man, Bowser jr. and Duck hunt (kind of) nothing was really hype inducing to me.

But then DLC came and blew my expectations. Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta are some of the best aditions in the whole franchise imo. But I still think overall Brawl and Ultimate newcomer are better (especially if you count Ultimate's dlc). Melee is hard to judge because for being the second game of the franchise, it mostly add some obvious pick (Peach, Bowser, Zelda), but there's some cool surprise like Game & watch and Marth.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Ultimate was the first game that I actually was invested in and legit played, but I had Brawl and Sm4sh 3DS. I wish I would have been there for older reveals because seeing Snake's reveal is great. Even though I never even cared/knew about Smash stuff until recently, I'm still able to appreciate what that meant for the series.

I will say though: The official reveal for SSBU, where we found out that everyone is here, is the only video game trailer to give me chills every time I watch it.

Also, Ultimate has the least amount of newcomers of ANY Smash game.

In general: Doomguy, A CoD Zombie rep, and another Atlus rep of some kind.
For Nintendo: A Primid, Starman, and Karate Joe.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
No arguments here.

It would be very challenging to surpass Brawl’s collective additions in any future game, imo. While still being realistic, of course.
Ultimate came pretty damn close, but in the end I still believe Brawl had the best additions in relation to the time frame. The second fighters pass may change my opinion depending on who we get.

D

Deleted member

Brawl had the best hype cycle by proxy of having so many god damn new features. Final smashes, story mode, my music, assist trophies, third parties, three taunts per character, etc. Man a lot of stuff in Smash now wouldn't be a thing without Brawl, and no game has come as close as expanding the formula as Brawl did.

By comparison, Smash 4 isn't that revolutionary. Once the Wii U version came out, everybody forgot about the portability and it didn't help that the Wii U version didn't have all of the new stages the 3ds version had.

I wanna say Ultimate's hype cycle wasn't that amazing if we're just talking about newcomers. I mean we only had less than a year to hype it up and all of its changes were just quality of life updates and refining the Smash aspect of Smash Bros. What makes Ultimate rival Brawl, for me, is that I felt like a kid again just from looking at all of these impossible characters and set pieces from my childhood all coming together. Bomberman, DK 64 final smash, Dragon Quest 8, Persona 3 and 4, Team Korea from KOF 94, Banjo Kazooie. If you made predictions about any of these things being in the next Smash Bros, I'd call you bananas. It's almost like a fanmade wishlist than actually realistic predictions, but it's here and it's still going.

We'll see how far Ultimate's rabbit hole goes. I personally think nothing's topping this game's roster, and that's gonna be a massive thing to consider when Smash 6 is up for discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
No arguments here.

Brawl added Sonic.
If that were the ONLY addition, Brawl would still win.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
In Project M, :samus2: had the ability to swap between flame and ice beam, which altered her down tilt, forward smash, forward aerial, up Smash, and missiles.

Something I really want in a newcomer in Ultimate is a stance change mechanic, where the character could alter some of their moves by choosing a certain stance. It doesn’t matter who the character is but I think it could be a really intriguing mechanic to play with.

Some possible candidates and implementations for the stance mechanic:

- Kiryu from Yakuza has the ability to use 3 different fighting styles in Yakuza 0 and the Kiwami remakes. He could switch between the balanced Brawler style, the fast rush down Rush style, or the heavy bruiser Beast style.

- Nightmare from Soul Calibur has literal stances from his game called knight side and knight behind , perhaps he could have a special move that puts him into a stance mode where he gets new tilt and jab options

- Another Posibilty is a character that uses class changes as stances. Perhaps someone from Bravely Default or Granblue, the character could alter their move set based on what class they choose.

Who are some other candidates for a stance mechanic you would be interested in seeing and how would you like to see it implemented?

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
In Project M, :samus2: had the ability to swap between flame and ice beam, which altered her down tilt, forward smash, forward aerial, up Smash, and missiles.

Something I really want in a newcomer in Ultimate is a stance change mechanic, where the character could alter some of their moves by choosing a certain stance. It doesn’t matter who the character is but I think it could be a really intriguing mechanic to play with.

- Kiryu from Yakuza has the ability to use 3 different fighting styles in Yakuza 0 and the Kiwami remakes. He could switch between the balanced Brawler style, the fast rush down Rush style, or the heavy bruiser Beast style.

- Nightmare from Soul Calibur has literal stances from his game called knight side and knight behind , perhaps he could have a special move that puts him into a stance mode where he gets new tilt and jab options

- Another Posibilty is a character that uses class changes as stances. Perhaps someone from Bravely Default or Granblue, the character could alter their move set based on what class they choose.

Who are some other candidates for a stance mechanic you would be interested in seeing and how would you like to see it implemented?
Masked Link could fit, but the way I imagine him working isn't exactly with stances.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
We'll see how far Ultimate's rabbit hole goes. I personally think nothing's topping this game's roster, and that's gonna be a massive thing to consider when Smash 6 is up for discussion.
Oh, don't get people started on how this means Smash is gonna get rebooted. :nifty:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Skull Kid, Bandana Dee and Rex would do leaps and bounds towards my perfect roster

Also loving the Skull Kid love above ^^^

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Who are some other candidates for a stance mechanic you would be interested in seeing and how would you like to see it implemented
Dark Matter could change between its sword form and true form. Its up special could turn it into its true form and let it fly around and perform several attacks for a limited time. I guess Sub Zero could have different fighting styles implemented into his moveset, but I've never imagined his moveset implementing those.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I think Monster Hunter can implement a stance mechanic in the moveset. My idea for the Hunter is to have the neutral special change between three weapons. Great Sword, Long Sword, and a Charge Blade. Changing to any of these weapons would change both the down special and side special.

GREAT SWORD

You could have the down special be the shoulder charge, a fully armored move that comes out quick and you can cancel into it from the side special.

The side special could be the standard charge slash, if you press the button at the right time you can charge for another strike and then you would be able to perform the three hit charge combo.

LONG SWORD

The down special is a counter in the form of foresight slash.

The side special is spirit combo. A sequence of slashes you can input and time them, think of them as something similair to Marth's dancing blade.

CHARGE BLADE

The down special is a phial charge. As you hit more opponents you will stock up on phial meters which you can use to charge your blade and make it even stronger and fill it with that explosive energy.

(I couldn't find a gif so this is the best I have to showcase how the move looks like)

The side special has you let loose all that stored energy into one big explosion. Depending on how much phial you stored will affect how big and strong the attack is.

Phew!
It was fun to write this and I hope more people can see the potential in Monster Hunter now. The Hunter has a lot of uniqueness to bring to Smash and I would love to see the character join the fight.

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Neku would be interesting with a partner switch mechanic, where some of his moves (smash attacks / specials) call on his partner briefly (more like Peach calling on Toad than how Rosalina & Luma or the Ice Climbers handle partners), and his down-B could have him cycle through the three partners, with each one changing his moves' properties. Specials could be completely different based on the partner, but even with stuff like smash attacks I could imagine the partners changing the hitboxes (Shiki could use Mr. Mew for some weird disjoint stuff like Olimar's smashes, Partner #2 could have good vertical range with beams/dropping stuff, and Partner #3 could have increased power in exchange for a smaller reach than the previous two).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

dmc style.png

The obvious candidate...

Link isn’t an avatar anyway..
Yes he is. It's literally what inspired his name.
Fun fact:

" (...) Miyamoto further explained that The Legend of Zelda would happen in “both the past and future”, so as the protagonist is a link between the past and future, he is thus named Link in English." ( Miyamoto talks about the origin of Link ).

They had the idea of switching between timelines ever since the development of the very first game so no wonder why the concept got in A Link to the Past!

It's possible he said both things tho, idk. For what it's worth, pretty sure Link is some kind of character/avatar hybrid (he's not purely an avatar since maybe ALttP or definitely since OoT). I think Villager is a better example of a "pure avatar" in Smash. Because Villager is there, it's a bit easier to imagine other blank avatars getting in like Dovahkiin for example.

Why is he still mute then?
Bonus fun fact: Link can talk in BotW even if we never get to hear him and we don't always get to read what he's saying exactly ...

Also, like someone will point out in about 25 min, he's been talking in a similar way for a while now.

Edit: just some punctuation...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom