• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
I have a feeling the debates will hit their peak at June.
Yeah, having a specific series we know a new fighter is from but not the new fighter itself is new to us. Normally we just speculate about the massive library of every video game character in existence until Nintendo just suddenly drops the whole character. Only unveiling the series a fighter is from while giving everyone a whole two months to contemplate who that character is is not something we're used to.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, having a specific series we know a new fighter is from but not the new fighter itself is new to us. Normally we just speculate about the massive library of every video game character in existence until Nintendo just suddenly drops the whole character. Only unveiling the series a fighter is from while giving everyone a whole two months to contemplate who that character is is not something we're used to.
It'd be very interesting if they did that with Final Fantasy before Cloud's reveal. I know I'd doubt Cloud's chances, cause I certainly did before his reveal.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Spring Man this, Twintelle that, Min-Min this, Ribbbon Girl that...
These fans having debates on who the ARMS rep will be.
Hey, at least the ARMS debates have been pretty civil

I'll I take this over the Banjo Steve debates any day

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'd keep my eye out -- the same group that pushed the whole 'grotesque steve' thing are planning on pushing dragonborn/todd howard if there's ever any substantial evidence for Doom Slayer to get in.
Wasn't one of the points of Grotesque Steve to imagine they'd turn Steve's blocky design into something uncanny? That's not gonna be a problem with Dragonborn.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I mean without any leaks or insider info regarding any further DLC fighters what else could we be discussing right now?

Even if the ARMS rep was revealed we'd already run this discussion to the ground.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I mean without any leaks or insider info regarding any further DLC fighters what else could we be discussing right now?

Even if the ARMS rep was revealed we'd already run this discussion to the ground.
Really feels like we are in it for the long haul this length. Forums are more quiet and gonna be til June.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Really feels like we are in it for the long haul this length. Forums are more quiet and gonna be til June.
Eh, June will be here as soon as you know it as will this year. We're just two months away and already were an quarter of an year over.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
He's his clone? That explains why every time I ask if Snake and Big Boss are the same person I the response is "...kind of?", especially since Metal Gear's story gives me the impression that it's kinda complicated.
Complicated is mildly putting. Solid Snake (the recessive one) is Big Boss' clone born out of the "Les Enfant Terrible" project alongside Liquid Snake (the dominant one) and Solidus Snake. Solidus Snake is the only perfect clone of Big Boss. And it all goes down the rabbit hole from there (I mean, it already did but this is the moment where **** goes from bad to worse in Metal Gear).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I realized the only time you ever come here is to spam how annoyed you are with the Smash community.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here's my ARMS song wishlist (Wanted remixes in red, potentially good, but ultimately unnecessary remixes in blue):
  1. Grand Prix (Title)
  2. Spring Stadium
  3. Ribbon Ring
  4. Ninja College
  5. Mausoleum
  6. Scrapyard
  7. Cinema Deux
  8. Buster Beach
  9. Snake Park
  10. [NAME REDACTED]
  11. Sky Arena
  12. VS Headlok (Grand Prix)
  13. Grand Prix (Ribbon Girl Ver.)
  14. Party Crash (Menu & Lobby Medley)
  15. Staff Credits
S Sakurai take notice. Include this list.

Max Brass this, Dr.Coyle that....

Helix? Shrugs

Nah man the coolest name we're missing out on is Plasma Snake.
I prefer my Snake to be Half-Naked, personally

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'd keep my eye out -- the same group that pushed the whole 'grotesque steve' thing are planning on pushing dragonborn/todd howard if there's ever any substantial evidence for Doom Slayer to get in.
Hey now, not everyone who supports Dragonborn does it to be obnoxious. Some of us actually do like The Elder Scrolls.

I hate that this forum always tries to disregard every character that isn't one of the chosen few as 'trolls.' This is why we're surprised so often - we dismiss anyone outside of a handful immediately.

Do I think Dovahkiin is likely? No. I definitely think Doom has a lead, as much as I hate to admit it. But I would be in heaven if they added the Dragonborn. I'll admit, I don't like DOOM. I royally suck at shooters, and the setting/music/etc is just not my cup of tea. Meanwhile, Skyrim was everything I wanted from a game.

I really didn't have a side in the Banjo/Steve fight, but I suppose I would have preferred Banjo - I felt Minecraft would have been a great stage more than anything else. Still, Minecraft was a huge cultural influence, that goes without saying. I feel bad for all of the legit Steve fans since everyone just made them out to be 10-year-old crybabies since they were pushing their character over a 30-year-old bear and bird that time pretty well forgot. And yeah, I can see parallels in Steve/Banjo vs. Dovahkiin/Doomguy.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
with the ARMS song wishlist brought up I figure now would be a good time to bring up my theory

You: "groan Again, Rie? You and your outlandish theories!"

Yes, but hear me out please

You know how all DLC so far has/will come with music, with the sole exception (thus far) of Piranha Plant who is currently the only Individual DLC and was supposedly meant for base? Wanna point out that while ARMS has base game content in the form of the Spring Man Assist Trophy and a handful of Spirits, it has no music whatsoever in base. I'd like to think it gave a really sweet payout in the form of getting a (presumably not Spring Man) ARMS character in this second pass with a new stage, music, and ARMS series emblem.

Now let's look at some other series that don't have a playable character in base, and if they do, don't have a new one from another installment in their series.

No playable characters whatsoever:
- Panel de Pon: has the Lip costume, but unfortunately has one song, so I wouldn't count on Lip becoming playable this pass. Arle Nadja, if she happens, might have to scratch y'all's itch for a puzzle fighter.
- Sin and Punishment: You might be in luck. Saki Amamiya's AT is gone, he's a costume now, there are some spirits but to my knowledge no music (correct me if I'm wrong)
- Monster Hunter: if it was JUST the Rathalos Boss/AT I'd think this was possible, but there's also MonHun music in the base game so.... don't count on it
- Rhythm Heaven: I think it has music in base in addition to some Spirits? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Already repped series that don't have a character from their more recent installments:
- Splatoon: I like to think Inklings largely rep Splatoon 1 as Inkling Girl/Boy alts don't have the Splatoon 2 hairstyles. There's a handful of music from 1, some base game music from 2 (no Tidal Rush/Spicy CI though), and the Squid Sisters AT. The only Octo Expansion (which I count as an "installment" as it's a brand new side story) content so far is the Octoling Girl & Boy Spirit and Octoling Octopus Spirit. No music from Octo Expansion... here's hoping for my Veemo/Oomi babies
- Xenoblade: not counting the first game, only 2, X, and Torna. 2's content includes some music, Nia costume (base), Rex costume (with FPV1 purchase), and some Spirits. The music alone makes me think we won't get a 2 character this pass. Torna... we might get Lora as there's no Torna music, but most of Torna's tunes are 2 remixes anyway. Now for the elephant in the room... X. We got 5 Spirits (Elma, Lin, Lao, Tatsu and the Skell) and... that's LITERALLY it. No music. No costumes. No AT's. I'd say an X rep (particularly Elma if ARMS's character is a Spirit promotion with no other in game form like Min Min, Twintelle or Ninjara) is more likely than you think.
- ok fine I guess I will include the first game since Definitive Edition is on the way and that WILL have rearranged music. With a redesign and prominent role in the Future Connected new epilogue, Melia might be a choice. However, I have a feeling her epilogue design + Shulk's epilogue design might be on a Xenoblade rep's Spirit board if it includes all of Xenoblade. Other choice is Fiora, since again ARMS's rep is most likely to be a non-playable promotion of some kind (as the ones already present in the game are the most popular) and we all know what's going on with Chrom in this game. Plus, spoilers? WHAT spoilers, says Sakurai and Project X Zone 2?!
- Donkey Kong: yeah, we just got King K. Rool, and Dixie's a Spirit. But Dixie was also prominent in Tropical Freeze, which has no music in base to my knowledge. Other TF option could be Cranky Kong.
- Kirby: Bandana Waddle Dee (if Spirit promotion) or Adeleine (if not). Iirc there's no Star Allies music in game despite the Three Mage Sisters (or whatever they're called) Spirit? either BD or Ado could rep Star Allies
those two unfortunately already have music, nvm

tl;dr you've heard of "music theory" now get ready for "LACK of music theory". If an unrepped series, or specific installment of an already repped series, has no music in base, it doesn't matter what other content they have, they stand a chance of getting a playable rep in this pass

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. drops mic

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Hey now, not everyone who supports Dragonborn does it to be obnoxious. Some of us actually do like The Elder Scrolls.

I hate that this forum always tries to disregard every character that isn't one of the chosen few as 'trolls.' This is why we're surprised so often - we dismiss anyone outside of a handful immediately.

Do I think Dovahkiin is likely? No. I definitely think Doom has a lead, as much as I hate to admit it. But I would be in heaven if they added the Dragonborn. I'll admit, I don't like DOOM. I royally suck at shooters, and the setting/music/etc is just not my cup of tea. Meanwhile, Skyrim was everything I wanted from a game.

I really didn't have a side in the Banjo/Steve fight, but I suppose I would have preferred Banjo - I felt Minecraft would have been a great stage more than anything else. Still, Minecraft was a huge cultural influence, that goes without saying. I feel bad for all of the legit Steve fans since everyone just made them out to be 10-year-old crybabies since they were pushing their character over a 30-year-old bear and bird that time pretty well forgot. And yeah, I can see parallels in Steve/Banjo vs. Dovahkiin/Doomguy.
I'm not calling dragonborn fans trolls -- I'm saying that a group of trolls had a plan to use Dragonborn as their face, just like they used Steve.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sin and Punishment: You might be in luck. Saki Amamiya's AT is gone, he's a costume now, there are some spirits but to my knowledge no music (correct me if I'm wrong)
Another thing to point out is that it influenced Kid Icarus Uprising. You'd think the expansion on its representation would've happened in the game which was full of KI additions.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Already repped series that don't have a character from their more recent installments:
- Donkey Kong: yeah, we just got King K. Rool, and Dixie's a Spirit. But Dixie was also prominent in Tropical Freeze, which has no music in base to my knowledge. Other TF option could be Cranky Kong.
- Kirby: Bandana Waddle Dee (if Spirit promotion) or Adeleine (if not). Iirc there's no Star Allies music in game despite the Three Mage Sisters (or whatever they're called) Spirit? either BD or Ado could rep Star Allies
Do you count ported music as representation? Cause if you do, I'm afraid Tropical Freeze and Star Allies do have music. Only one apiece IIRC, but they unfortunately count. I appreciate the Adeleine nomination, though.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
with the ARMS song wishlist brought up I figure now would be a good time to bring up my theory

You: "groan Again, Rie? You and your outlandish theories!"

Yes, but hear me out please

You know how all DLC so far has/will come with music, with the sole exception (thus far) of Piranha Plant who is currently the only Individual DLC and was supposedly meant for base? Wanna point out that while ARMS has base game content in the form of the Spring Man Assist Trophy and a handful of Spirits, it has no music whatsoever in base. I'd like to think it gave a really sweet payout in the form of getting a (presumably not Spring Man) ARMS character in this second pass with a new stage, music, and ARMS series emblem.

Now let's look at some other series that don't have a playable character in base, and if they do, don't have a new one from another installment in their series.

No playable characters whatsoever:
- Panel de Pon: has the Lip costume, but unfortunately has one song, so I wouldn't count on Lip becoming playable this pass. Arle Nadja, if she happens, might have to scratch y'all's itch for a puzzle fighter.
- Sin and Punishment: You might be in luck. Saki Amamiya's AT is gone, he's a costume now, there are some spirits but to my knowledge no music (correct me if I'm wrong)
- Monster Hunter: if it was JUST the Rathalos Boss/AT I'd think this was possible, but there's also MonHun music in the base game so.... don't count on it
- Rhythm Heaven: I think it has music in base in addition to some Spirits? Correct me if I'm wrong.

- Splatoon: I like to think Inklings largely rep Splatoon 1 as Inkling Girl/Boy alts don't have the Splatoon 2 hairstyles. There's a handful of music from 1, some base game music from 2 (no Tidal Rush/Spicy CI though), and the Squid Sisters AT. The only Octo Expansion (which I count as an "installment" as it's a brand new side story) content so far is the Octoling Girl & Boy Spirit and Octoling Octopus Spirit. No music from Octo Expansion... here's hoping for my Veemo/Oomi babies
- Xenoblade: not counting the first game, only 2, X, and Torna. 2's content includes some music, Nia costume (base), Rex costume (with FPV1 purchase), and some Spirits. The music alone makes me think we won't get a 2 character this pass. Torna... we might get Lora as there's no Torna music, but most of Torna's tunes are 2 remixes anyway. Now for the elephant in the room... X. We got 5 Spirits (Elma, Lin, Lao, Tatsu and the Skell) and... that's LITERALLY it. No music. No costumes. No AT's. I'd say an X rep (particularly Elma if ARMS's character is a Spirit promotion with no other in game form like Min Min, Twintelle or Ninjara) is more likely than you think.
- ok fine I guess I will include the first game since Definitive Edition is on the way. With a redesign and prominent role in the Future Connected new epilogue, Melia might be a choice. However, I have a feeling her epilogue design + Shulk's epilogue design might be on a Xenoblade rep's Spirit board if it includes all of Xenoblade. Other choice is Fiora, since again ARMS's rep is most likely to be a non-playable promotion of some kind (as the ones already present in the game are the most popular) and we all know what's going on with Chrom in this game. Plus, spoilers? WHAT spoilers, says Sakurai and Project X Zone 2?!

tl;dr you've heard of "music theory" now get ready for "LACK of music theory". If an unrepped series, or specific installment of an already repped series, has no music in base, it doesn't matter what other content they have, they stand a chance of getting a playable rep in this pass

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. drops mic
I agree.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I think this video sums up pretty well on how speculation for newcomers will be for this DLC season.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
"Music by SNK, not Square-Enix"
This made me lose my composure.
If we get another SquareEnix series I hope there isn't another way too many people are rights holders/the composer wants too much money situation so we can get a decent soundtrack. Chrono Trigger with only 2-8 songs would be a travesty. It'd be sad for Tomb Raider as well, though I'm not familiar with the series's music.

EDIT: SquareEnix owns NieR Automata as well right? Yeah we're gonna need a normal tracklist from that series as well.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Perhaps it's a sign that everyone's expectations for the end of the pass are going to be subverted for the worse.
Smash fans: God, I'm so excited to see the fighter's pass end with a bang!
Bubsy, Galarian Incineroar (don't @ me if Galarian Incineroar actually exists) and Adam Malkovich:
creepytom.jpg

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Bubsy, Galarian Incineroar (don't @ me if Galarian Incineroar actually exists) and Adam Malkovich:
View attachment 268310
I mean make that Galarian Rapiddash and I’m in. Just because beating people with a rainbow unicorn in smash sounds too fun to pass up.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I was laughing at first and then was suddenly sadden by the reminder of how poorly Game of Thrones ended.
I’m still angry over that. Justice for Daenerys Targaryen. Built her up for 7.5 seasons and in the last two episodes said “Haha jk, she’s been crazy all along and you guys just didn’t see it.”

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I’m still angry over that. Justice for Daenerys Targaryen. Built her up for 7.5 seasons and in the last two episodes said “Haha jk, she’s been crazy all along and you guys just didn’t see it.”
Didn't World of Warcraft do something similar with one of its characters?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
View attachment 268310
Reminds me of that yeet-guy who kept praising Banjo as, like, the only worthy addition of the first pass, and insisted that the pass must end on a bang, because trust him, he knows marketing. For FP5, he also kept saying that it'd be Master Chief.

Last I checked, he's still banned from a bit before Byleth's actual reveal. I honestly can't help but to feel a certain morbid curiosity about what his reaction to that reveal must've been like.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I wonder if the ARMS character they choose will come with their home stage or another stage. I think it's likely that it will be their home stage but if for some reason it isn't, Sky Arena is another possibility since it's the finale of Tournament Mode. It also seems to be the easiest stage to translate over into Smash since most of the ARMS stages are walled-in but Sky Arena is not.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Didn't World of Warcraft do something similar with one of its characters?
Warcraft 3 (not world of) kinda did with Arthas (I think that was his name, it has been over a decade) though he got corrupted and undeadified.

And Starcraft kind of did that with Kerrigan, except she became the Zerg Brood Queen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom