• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
Ribbon Girl. As the alt to Springo.
Nah, I'm going with my own theory that no ARMS character is the main character, and everyone is an alt to each other. Thus you get Spring Man and Ribbon Girl both serving as originals and Echoes for Helix and Coyle as well as each other. Thusly Sakurai can pull a Next Level Simon / Richter and get as much bang for the moveset buck as possible.

I don't think he's gonna stop there though *X-Files theme plays in the background.*

:4pacman:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I don't think they know or care about fan rules. What I think happened was the character was meant to be announced and released in April (a la Joker) but was delayed due to June. They weren't ready to show off the character but had to announce something so it's "A Fighter From ARMS".

Aside, but I've seen discussion that Nintendo meant to show off a third party character but moved it back due to inability to communicate with the publisher. I don't think that's what happen. Character take 6 months so they couldn't pull something together if it was meant to be later in the pass. ARMS was meant to be the first one.
Spring Man was meant to spring into action this Spring, but the Direct said they had to extend development time.
I call it Pun Theory!

That was a joke for all the morons taking me seriously.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So what do you guys think. Think some of the characters might come with echoes of their own notably Spring Man if its him with Ribbon Girl?
Hope so. Dunno if it's likely.

I want every update in this pass to come with an echo even if they DON'T relate to the new character.

Sping Man with Ribbon Girl.
Hayabusa with Shadow.
Arthur with Bass.
etc.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So what do you guys think. Think some of the characters might come with echoes of their own notably Spring Man if its him with Ribbon Girl?
That gives me an idea for a Fun Forum Game™. Make a fighters pass of characters, and the only rule is that they must have an echo accompanying them. Uniqueness can very.

Fp6: Spring Man (ε: Min Min). They do the belmont thing: Spring Man has a few kicks in his moveset.
Fp7: Phoenix Wright (ε: Miles Edgeworth). As Edgeworth is a prosecutor, his playstyle is more of a rushdown, as compared to Phoenix's more calculated, read-based one.
Fp8: Bravely Default 2 Protagonist (ε: Agnes). Once again, all cosmetics.
Fp9: Tails (ε: Eggman). This sounds ridiculous on paper, but here me out: They're in SA2 style mechs, hence the ability to echo eachother. They're Ryu/Ken levels of different.
Fp10: Alolan Marowak (ε: Marowak). I was desprately searching for some pairing of Pokemon that could work, but the easiest option was staring me in the face. Marowak is the Lucina to Alolawak's Marth, but hopefully better balanced.
Fp11: Maxwell (ε: Lily). Once again, all cosmetics.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hope so. Dunno if it's likely.

I want every update in this pass to come with an echo even if they DON'T relate to the new character.

Sping Man with Ribbon Girl.
Hayabusa with Shadow.
Arthur with Bass.
etc.
It took me a second to realize you weren't restricting your picks to characters that could be Echo Fighters of the DLC character they come with so I was like, "who's Bass and what does he have to do with Arthur?". lol

Bass would be such a cool fighter though. They could give him the Bass Buster, acting like a multidirectional Fox Blaster. His Final Smash could use Treble Boost, like he does in Mega Man 8. The only downside is that he would have to use his Mega Man 9 & 10 design...
1585888323975.png

I pray for the developers in another universe who have to try and make this look good in 3D.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
That gives me an idea for a Fun Forum Game™. Make a fighters pass of characters, and the only rule is that they must have an echo accompanying them. Uniqueness can very.
Spring Man/Ribbon Girl [ARMS]
Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
Kunio/Riki [River City Ransom]
Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
Rash/Zitz [Battletoads]
Captain Toad/Toadette [Treasure Tracker]

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Fp6: Spring Man (ε: Min Min). They do the belmont thing: Spring Man has a few kicks in his moveset.
Fp7: Phoenix Wright (ε: Miles Edgeworth). As Edgeworth is a prosecutor, his playstyle is more of a rushdown, as compared to Phoenix's more calculated, read-based one.
Fp9: Tails (ε: Eggman). This sounds ridiculous on paper, but here me out: They're in SA2 style mechs, hence the ability to echo eachother. They're Ryu/Ken levels of different.
Fp10: Alolan Marowak (ε: Marowak). I was desprately searching for some pairing of Pokemon that could work, but the easiest option was staring me in the face. Marowak is the Lucina to Alolawak's Marth, but hopefully better balanced.
Fighter 6:
Bandana Dee
Echo: Jammerjab
Series: Kirby

Fighter 7:
Poochy
Echo: Polterpup
Series: Yoshi

Fighter 8:
Shake King
Echo: Rudy the Clown
Series: Wario

Fighter 9:
Amaterasu
Echo: Ninetails or Chibiterasu
Series: Okami

Fighter 10:
Crash
Echo: Coco
Series: Crash Bandicoot

Fighter 11:
Heavy
Echo: Heavy Robot
Series: Team Fortress

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
As far as Echoes go, I'm just shocked at the lack of Shadow and Proto Man.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Alright, let's see

FP6: Spring Man (ε: Ribbon Girl)
FP7: Toad/Captain Toad (ε: Toadette)
FP8: Isaac (ε: Felix)
FP9: Sora (ε: Riku or Roxas)
FP10: Scorpion (ε: Sub-Zero)
FP11: Phoenix Wright (ε: Miles Edgeworth)

Honorable mentions were Saki Amamiya (with Isa Jo), Big Boss (with Venom Snake) and Bomberman (with Max). Took out Leon Kennedy with Jill Valentine as an Echo because I wanted to keep it semi-realistic. Honestly, most of the Echoes I want are for characters already in Smash.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't know if anyone suggested this yet, but maybe the reason why Nintendo didn't reveal the ARMS character is because the reveal trailer wasn't ready. Aside from Mewtwo, every DLC character we've ever gotten in Smash was first revealed to us in a trailer. If the trailer wasn't quite ready but they still wanted to give us an idea of who the next character was so they could start selling download cards, maybe that's why they revealed the next fighter the way they did.

Showing us all 15 fighters together may have caused a lot of people to expect someone other than Spring Man, but I guess that was unavoidable. As long as we knew what franchise was getting the next character, people would speculate beyond the face of the series anyway.
Could be the case. Could also be to feed the speculation a little. And stir it in some direction. I mean, we where all pretty damn certain that current Assist Trophies would never become playable. Now we have this ARMS newcomer, identity unknown, and our speculation is turning new pages again. Or should I say old? Suddenly lots of fan favourites are possible again.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
ARMS:
FP6: Dr.Coyle
FP6ε: Springman? (I'm not sure what's a good echo for them.)

Touhou:
FP7: Reimu
FP7ε: Sanae

Okami:
FP8: Amaterasu
FP8ε: Chibiterasu (Kinda like Pichu in the way of being a smaller version, a different dash attack, etc)

Puyo Puyo:
FP9: Arle
FP9ε: Amitie

Final Fantasy 6:
FP10: Terra
FP10ε: Celes

A Hat in Time:
FP11: Hat Kid
FP11ε: Bow Kid

It was kinda hard thinking of character that could also have echos honestly some of them might be more of a stretch I'm not sure.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
FP6: Min-Min
FP6ε: Ribbon Girl -- Kick attacks are weaker, double jump is much lower but she has 3 midair jumps to compensate

FP7: Nightmare
FP7ε: Siegfried -- Lighter, but faster

FP8: Paper Mario
FP8ε: Mr. L -- different movement properties: Slower run, worse air accel., higher jump, slide after dash

FP9: Grovyle
FP9ε: Sceptile -- Bigger, much larger hitbox on tail moves, overall more lag

FP10: Doom Slayer
FP10ε: Betrayer (I have a sneaking suspicion that the Betrayer will end up as a playable co-op partner for the Slayer in Eternal)

FP11: Akuma
FP11ε: Oni

Eldrake

Smash Lord

FP6: Dr. Coyle.
FP6ε: Hedlok (on Dr. Coyle)

FP7: Gordon Freeman.
FP7ε: Barney Calhoun.

FP8: Sylux.
FP8ε: Weavel.

FP9: Dante.
FP9ε: Vergil (even though Vergil's moveset is radically different)

FP10: Bill Rizer.
FP10ε: Lance Bean.

FP11: Crash Bandicoot.
FP11ε: Coco Bandicoot.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

FP6: Springman (ε: Min Min): Springman has a Lucario aura style ability whilst Min Min shakes up her punches with kicks. Was going to do Twintelle originally but nobody needs another Witch Time.

FP7: Toad (ε: Toadette): Pretty similar playstyle with Toad being faster with poorer jumps and Toadette being more well rounded.
Toad's Final Smash would be him throwing a mini mushroom into his opponent before smashing them using a Mega Mushroom as Mega Toad whilst Toadette would transform into Peachette, allowing her to double jump and float out the way of a rampaging Chain Chomp.

FP8: Chris Redfield (ε: Jill Valentine): Chris is a heavyweight who uses more powerful explosive ammo but is far slower and jumps poorly. Jill is the more nimble and lighter character, but with low damage output as she doesn't have explosive rounds. Chris punches, Jill kicks. Both use bazookas for their final smashes, sorry no boulder punch here. About as far apart as echos can be.

FP9: Balloon Fighter (ε: Tingle): Weird and wacky one this. Balloon fighter drops lightning bolts from above, Tingle drops bombs. Both balloons have a separate health %. When the balloons break they have to spend time inflating a new one or lose their recovery. Final Smash causes their balloons to over inflate and explode creating a huge windbox effect.

FP10: Paper Mario (ε: Paper Luigi): Cheating a little here. Same basic abilities but Luigi has a better jump, poorer traction. Paper Luigi obviously comes with a Mr. L alt.

FP11: Dixie Kong (ε: Tiny Kong): Classic design Tiny, thank you very much. Both attack and fly with their hair. Tiny is weaker per hit but she hits twice with her pigtails. Tiny's FS allows her to shrink in size performing a super uppercut as she grows back whilst Dixie gets Rambi involved and merely runs her enemies over.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
As far as Echoes go, I'm just shocked at the lack of Shadow and Proto Man.
Proto Man i could understand his abscence, but to this day the fact that Sakurai didn't took an opportunity on a silver plate like Shadow hurts my soul

FP9: Balloon Fighter (ε: Tingle): Weird and wacky one this. Balloon fighter drops lightning bolts from above, Tingle drops bombs. Both balloons have a separate health %. When the balloons break they have to spend time inflating a new one or lose their recovery. Final Smash causes their balloons to over inflate and explode creating a huge windbox effect.
Ah, Balloon Fighter. I see you're a man of culture as well.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord

Challenger Pack 6: Spring Man, who comes with Springtron. They have their canon differences, meaning that while the moveset is functionally identical, Springtron, who doesn't have the comeback mechanic and moves slower, can buff himself to move faster and have instantly charged Smash attacks. Springtron is also heavier.
Challenger Pack 7: Frisk, who comes with Chara. Chara is about as similar to Frisk as Daisy is to Peach: there's nary a mechanical difference, it's just vanity animations, but Chara is a lot more... shall we say, lively, than Frisk.
Challenger Pack 8: Arle Nadja, who comes with Amitie. Amitie is actually a very different Echo, being basically a Ken level difference here. She has alternate takes on some of Arle's attacks, and has a different partner character coming alongside her (Donguri Gaeru instead of Carbuncle). Amitie would be lighter.
Challenger Pack 9: Crash Bandicoot, who comes with Coco Bandicoot (Fake Crash is too similar). Besides some slight hurtbox differences, and totally new vanity animations, not a whole lot changes between the two. Maybe Crash is slightly faster while Coco has slightly better frame data. Coco would be lighter.
Challenger Pack 10: Gonna cheat a bit here and say Dixie Kong, who comes with Donkey Kong Jr. echoing his dad/son/himself but older. Relative to DK, the moveset is identical but it's on a character who's faster and has a smaller hurtbox, so it's a fair bit weaker. DK Jr. isn't a superheavy like his old man/boy/future self, but he is a very heavy cruiserweight.
Challenger Pack 11: Cheating again with Waluigi, who comes with Shadow Mario as an echo of Mario. Shadow Mario can apply ink like the Inklings, and his Final Smash is Mecha-Bowser instead of Mario Finale, but otherwise it's the same basic deal. (Hey, if Chrom can double as an FS and an Echo, so can Shadow Mario.).

If 10 and 11 have to have the Echoes be for the newcomers themselves, then 10 will be Isaac with Felix (IDK how different they'd be, but to sate the fans I'll say they're at least Ken-lite), and 11 will be... Bill Rizer and Lance Bean are so similar you could make them alts, and they're third party... uh, Toad with Toadette, and they're functionally identical, I guess.

Three third parties, three first parties, even steven. Would've liked to do Pokémon, but I'm not resorting to putting in the same species twice. This was actually really hard, to the extent I had to resort to technically doing it but not doing it in the spirit of it.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Alright, let's see

FP6: Spring Man (ε: Ribbon Girl)
FP7: Toad/Captain Toad (ε: Toadette)
FP8: Isaac (ε: Felix)
FP9: Sora (ε: Riku or Roxas)
FP10: Scorpion (ε: Sub-Zero)
FP11: Phoenix Wright (ε: Miles Edgeworth)

Honorable mentions were Saki Amamiya (with Isa Jo), Big Boss (with Venom Snake) and Bomberman (with Max). Took out Leon Kennedy with Jill Valentine as an Echo because I wanted to keep it semi-realistic. Honestly, most of the Echoes I want are for characters already in Smash.
What would even be the point of Big Boss as a unique character (or even an Echo TBH)?

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
What would even be the point of Big Boss as a unique character (or even an Echo TBH)?
I think Big Boss would be a cool addition. Snake in Smash is demolition expert that bombs the whole stage, which is the opposite of the stealth gameplay from the MGS series. Big Boss could incorporate non-lethal weapons from MGS like the tranquilizer gun or the stun grenades, that's just one idea of how he'd bring new things. I like Raiden the most if we're talking about a second MGS rep but Big Boss is strongly behind him and could overtake him depending on my mood.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
He'd at least look better with his model based off of his 8-bit sprite.

Top 10 reasons why Mega Man should have his design based off of Mega Man 11:
Number 10: so that people would stop complaining about how Mega Man's design is not based on Mega Man 11.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Number 10: so that people would stop complaining about how Mega Man's design is not based on Mega Man 11.
That's...not one of the reasons.

EDIT: Real talk though, even if they don't give him his Mega Man 11 design specifically, I do think his appearance should be altered to make him look a bit less robotic. At the very least, he should be able to show more personality than mouth closed, mouth open, and exertion. A voice would go a long way in this aspect, but I'm not so sure that it would fit the current character design.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

FP6: Ribbon Girl
FP6ε: Min Min
Differences: Both would share a basic moveset but Min Min would Exchange the extra midair jumps for getting a boost to her Smash attacks and specials upon blocking.

FP7: Rex and Pyra
FP7ε: [Golden Country character] and Mythra
Differences: I don't know enough about Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to know how different they'd fight but it's something.

FP8: Jimmy Lee
FP8ε: Billy Lee
Differences: The Double Dragon Bros would play exactly the same but would have different taunts, like Daisy and Richter

FP9: Gardevoir
FP9ε: Haterene
Hatterene has some altered animations as it lacks usable arms and the two have different Final Smashes, Mega Gardevoir would use Hyper Voice and Gigantamax Hatterene would function similar to Giga Bowser

FP10: Shantae
FP10ε: Nega Shantae
Nega Shantae uses more magic than the real deal who uses some of Risky's pirate gear.

FP11: Crash Bandicoot
FP11ε: Coco Bandicoot
Differences: Where Crash would spin with his arms out, Coco would do a spin-kick

That was fun.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

FP6: Min Min (Ninjara Echo)
FP7: Neku Sakuraba (Sho Minamimoto Echo. Yeah, don’t ask)
FP8: Elma (Mecha-Fiora Echo)
FP9: KOS-MOS (T-elos Echo)
FP10: Crash Bandicoot (Coco Bandicoot Echo)
FP11: Arle Nadja (Amitie Echo. Ran out of options here)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I think Big Boss would be a cool addition. Snake in Smash is demolition expert that bombs the whole stage, which is the opposite of the stealth gameplay from the MGS series. Big Boss could incorporate non-lethal weapons from MGS like the tranquilizer gun or the stun grenades, that's just one idea of how he'd bring new things. I like Raiden the most if we're talking about a second MGS rep but Big Boss is strongly behind him and could overtake him depending on my mood.
Honestly I think Big Boss could work as an alt of Snake. I don't see him receiving the echo treatment, and while he could bring the stealth gameplay of the MGS series, a second rep for the franchise seems unlikely. For that reason I'd take Big Boss as an alt of Snake, just like Olimar/Alph, and it would work very well.
Snake could have different alts: the one we already have (which is MGS1/2), Big Boss (with MGS3 and Peace Walker alts) and maybe even Venom Snake. Oh, and the MGS4 incarnation of Solid Snake as well.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
FP6: Min Min (ε: Twintelle)
FP7: Amaterasu (ε: Shiranui)
FP8: Shantae (ε: Nega Shantae)
FP9: Sora (ε: Roxas)
FP10: Elma (ε: Fiora)
FP11: Kat (ε: Raven)
Honorable mention: Gran (ε: Djeeta)

Freduardo

Smash Champion

FP6: Lola Pop (Echo Lanky Kong)
FP7: Lloyd Irving (Echo Cless Arbane)
FP8: Fix-it Felix (technically the game was released before the movie) (Echo: Hammer Bros.)
FP9: Bomberman (assist trophy replaced by Waluigi... who also used bombs and is now two different assist trophies) (Echo: Max)
FP10: Bonk (echo: Female Bonk from the arcade)
FP11: Crono (Echo: Anna Or Ryoma from Fire Emblem, just for fan rage).

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
This was too hard.
Spring Man + Ribbon Girl
Filia + Fukua
Dante + Vergil
Master Chief + Arbiter
Captain Toad + Toadette
Tom Nook + Crazy Redd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom