• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Actually I can tell you exactly how it would work

I heard the moon assist trophy never appears on the great bay

They could do the same thing with spring man if it’s him just turn off his assist trophy spawn when he’s being played as

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
My other thing is, ARMS is one of the few series where it can absolutely shift and change because the foundation hasn't necessarily be set, and specifically it has extremely popular female characters of color that people adore and prefer over the main character. There's a ton of series where the main or lead character that makes the most sense to include is male and has been that way for years. It just seems like a huge missed opportunity to not go for one of those characters like Min Min or Twintelle because the only argument Spring Man seems to have is that he's the face that Nintendo originally intended to market, but he's been pushed further away in favor of more popular options since then.

ARMS doesn't have to commit to Spring Man moving forward and I honestly think they should be willing to change it up in favor of more popular options. From everything I've seen, Spring Man's popularity seems more focused in the Smash community than the actual ARMS community at this point.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
ARMS came out a couple of years ago and still has a dedicated player base, so comparing it to Golden Sun makes little sense.

We got only two first-party characters in the fighters passes so far and they were both created for Switch. I don't see how this is a point for Nintendo wanting to revive dead franchises.
ARMS was ****en mondo-dead.

My other thing is, ARMS is one of the few series where it can absolutely shift and change because the foundation hasn't necessarily be set, and specifically it has extremely popular female characters of color that people adore and prefer over the main character. There's a ton of series where the main or lead character that makes the most sense to include is male and has been that way for years. It just seems like a huge missed opportunity to not go for one of those characters like Min Min or Twintelle because the only argument Spring Man seems to have is that he's the face that Nintendo originally intended to market, but he's been pushed further away in favor of more popular options since then.

ARMS doesn't have to commit to Spring Man moving forward and I honestly think they should be willing to change it up in favor of more popular options. From everything I've seen, Spring Man's popularity seems more focused in the Smash community than the actual ARMS community at this point.
pls no I hate springman

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I've been playing arms since it dropped if they pick spring man or ribbon girl they would be the most bland in my opinion they're are better choices on the roster more interesting picks from the game those two are boring I hope they pick anyone else
expect helix not it

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Spring Man still seems to be front and center in marketing, as far as I can tell, or at least alongside/just behind someone else.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We can't draw conclusions based on how we think it should be, we can only work off of what is. Moreover, we can't expect Smash to take the lead on shifting prominence within a series, Smash is reactive and reflects the hierarchy within the series. ARMS has the opportunity to shift, but that shift will likely stem from ARMS itself. Smash is just a mirror.

To that end, we have to gauge expectations based on how the series operates, not on qualities Smash doesn't value. Min Min and Twintelle might be fan-favourites (though only the former seems to be globally popular, and thus I think the latter is rather unlikely) and are growing within the promotion of the series, but Spring-Man, for all intents and purposes, is still the protagonist until further developments potentially change that, and the importance of that station can't be discounted either, because historically that's quite often what's valued highest for Smash.

Maybe it would be a missed opportunity to not go for another choice, but we have to play with the cards we're dealt. We can't impose our own paradigms onto Smash, as that would, in all likelihood, be fruitless. For better or for worse we have to abide by theirs. And as it stands now, I think, of any individual character, Spring-Man stands in the best stead, though he's not without competition. Though frankly, I think it's only from Min Min.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
We can't draw conclusions based on how we think it should be, we can only work off of what is. Moreover, we can't expect Smash to take the lead on shifting prominence within a series, Smash is reactive and reflects the hierarchy within the series. ARMS has the opportunity to shift, but that shift will likely stem from ARMS itself. Smash is just a mirror.

To that end, we have to gauge expectations based on how the series operates, not on qualities Smash doesn't value. Min Min and Twintelle might be fan-favourites (though only the former seems to be globally popular, and thus I think the latter is rather unlikely) and are growing within the promotion of the series, but Spring-Man, for all intents and purposes, is still the protagonist until further developments potentially change that, and the importance of that station can't be discounted either, because historically that's quite often what's valued highest for Smash.

Maybe it would be a missed opportunity to not go for another choice, but we have to play with the cards we're dealt. We can't impose our own paradigms onto Smash, as that would, in all likelihood, be fruitless. For better or for worse we have to abide by theirs. And as it stands now, I think, of any individual character, Spring-Man stands in the best stead, though he's not without competition. Though frankly, I think it's only from Min Min.
If anything, I’d expect Twintelle and Min Min to take Ribbon Girl’s place as the lead female character before I see Spring Man demoted just because he was designed to embody the essence of ARMS.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
"The graphic novel series based on Nintendo's ARMS franchise is still in development with no current projected release date. This information comes directly from a representative of Dark Horse at Toy Fair NY this past weekend.

Dark Horse is set to publish the ARMS graphic novel series which was announced back in late 2017 and originally slated to have a fall 2018 release date. The project was then delayed to January 2019. A short preview of ARMS was given out as a promotional item during Free Comic Book Day in 2018, but little has been heard about the project since."

Source: https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/53020/arms-graphic-novel-status-update
Considering the state of the comic book industry nowadays I'm pretty sure it's been canceled.

I would be completely shocked if it actually released at this point.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I just fundamentally disagree. ARMS is too new to be beholden to any sort of the same standards that long running franchises have to be and Spring Man himself is barely more important than any other individual ARMS fighter because their isn't like a main story that revolves around him like you might see in other fighting games. It just seems incredibly self-fulfilling to say we have to work with Spring Man moving forward, when I don't really think we have to. Smash doesn't have to be reactive for one, and for another, we don't know how they're planning to move ARMS forward as a series.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I expect it to be like Byleth, if Edelgard, Dmitiri, and Claude were full-on alts for Byleth, instead of just colors.

..which looking back, I wish was the case.
Byleth having the weapons makes sense, he's the one in charge of giving it to whomever you please.

Claude throwing around Aymr makes no sense tho

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
View attachment 267314
I'm gonna have to deal with people expecting a composite ARMS rep for another two and a half months, aren't I?
If they didn't want people to expect it, then they should have just announced the name of the solo fighter. Even if they didn't have any gameplay, that didn't stop them from announcing Terry Bogard and not just "a character from SNK".

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
If the third party budget for Pass 2 is low like some people think, I still think Capcom fans will be fine. Capcom is infamously crossover happy, and it can't be super expensive to license a Capcom character if a Family Guy flash game can get Ryu.
People are gonna use that decade-old Flash game as a rallying point, huh.

You do realize FOX (or more specifically Seth McFranlen) is a multiple billionaire company

Show of hands, who here still thinks that Spirits disconfirm characters? :ultpacman:
I

Better to have her a an echo than not at all. If I had to choose between being guaranteed Octoling as an echo or her maybe getting in as a unique, I would choose the echo despite the massive wasted potential.
The octolings aren't that interesting anyways, so why not

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Can someone explain to me why min min is so popular?
real talk, Min Min might be one of the best designed video game characters, concept-wise, in a very long time

her design's just oozing with personality, love all the noodle references sprinkled throughout

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Honestly, I'd do the same. Anyone else would be like adding M. Bison, Zangief, Chun-Li, or Ken before Ryu.

EDIT: This is why I want an echo fighter bundle; It lets us have Ryu, and someone actually interesting.
On the other hand, Chun-Li has pretty much become the co face of Street Fighter, so while she wouldn't be added before Ryu, she pretty is always added alongside him in literally everything but Smash (same goes for Ms. Pac-Man with Pac-Man). To this end, Ribbon Girl pretty much serves as the Chun-Li or Ms. Pac-Man of ARMS, in that while it would be weird for her to be added without Spring Man, it would also be equally as weird for Spring Man to be added without her, because of their co-mascot status, similar to the Inkling Girl and Inkling Boy. You can't have either one without the other without the representation feeling incomplete.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
It's really sad that the majority people really claiming for Spring-Man, is because of the "potential" and hope for other characters, and not the character itself

Guys, there are 5 slots left, even if Springman or Ribbon Girl got in and breaks all these rules.....

Who gets to say that the upgrades this site actually wanted, is actually going to be updated

If anything, I could see a potential huger backlash on here, because of this potentially the ONLY upgrade, and they wasted it on ARMS, rather then never doing one at all

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If there were ever a third Street Fighter character in Smash, you have two clear options:

- Akuma
- Chun-Li
Akuma is pretty much if you're lazy and want to make a :falco:, a solid portion of his moveset is the same as the shoto bros. But Chun-Li is synonymous with the franchise. She's just as important to any of the plots going around as Ryu, if not more direct involvement with a majority of the characters. So if they choose to make an entirely original character, it's 100% Chun-Li.

Did I mention I ****ing called Guile being an Assist months prior? Call me Sabi or Vergeben or I don't know any of the other ones but I'm never living that down.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's really sad that the majority people really claiming for Spring-Man, is because of the "potential" and hope for other characters, and not the character itself

Guys, there are 5 slots left, even if Springman or Ribbon Girl got in and breaks all these rules.....

Who gets to say that the upgrades this site actually wanted, is actually going to be updated

If anything, I could see a potential huger backlash on here, because of this potentially the ONLY upgrade, and they wasted it on ARMS, rather then never doing one at all
Tbf Spring Man has absolutely zero sauce in his own damn game. ARMS has a minimalistic ass story and Spring Man is completely ****ing irrelevant in it smh

osby

Smash Obsessed
On the other hand, Chun-Li has pretty much become the co face of Street Fighter, so while she wouldn't be added before Ryu, she pretty is always added alongside him in literally everything but Smash (same goes for Ms. Pac-Man with Pac-Man). To this end, Ribbon Girl pretty much serves as the Chun-Li or Ms. Pac-Man of ARMS, in that while it would be weird for her to be added without Spring Man, it would also be equally as weird for Spring Man to be added without her, because of their co-mascot status, similar to the Inkling Girl and Inkling Boy. You can't have either one without the other without the representation feeling incomplete.
Spring Man with at least Ribbon Girl feels like a reasonable expectation to have. They are the mascots of the game, after all. I can see Min Min and Ninjara for their popularity, too.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Fighter Pass 2 will mirror Fighter Pass 1, just watch
Byleth - Springman (Nintendo IPs)
Terry - Sol Badguy (fighting games)
Banjo - Geno (beloved former Ninty characters)
DQ Hero - SMT1 Hero (JRPGs with Nintendo history + Switch releases)
Joker - Nier (Japanese games without Nintendo history or Switch releases)
potted plant - an animate D-pad (things Sakurai was so preoccupied with whether or not they could add, they didn't stop to think if they should add.)
This wouldn't be the most appealing pass for a large part of the community, but I'd be happy with something like this lol

My only "fear" is if the ARMS rep ends being the only fighting character in the pass. I'd like to see a FGC character in the pass.

I think it would increase the odds of other upgrades -- on the grounds that a lot of characters the are spirits/AT's have things going for them, but them being a Spirit/AT lowers their chances to 0%.

Waluigi, for example, has had lots of fan demand, especially since E3 2018. However, seeing as he's an AT, lots of people say he has no chance.

Springman getting in would remove the argument that AT's and spirits cannot be promoted, and thereby increase Waluigi's chances from 0% to whatever % he would otherwise be -- which is what I think a lot of people mean when they say they expect more upgrades if Springman gets in.
The thing is... even if it's only Spring Man, the chances for Waluigi, Isaac and company are still the same because the pass is already decided. Yeah, in our eyes Spring Man being the ARMS rep would look like other fan requests that are already repped in the game could be promoted, but the choices they made for the pass won't change.
I'm not expecting a full lineup of promoted characters even if Spring Man is the character.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So I'm thinking an ARMS character with a genericish sort of moveset, and each palette swap is a different arms character with minor aesthetic differences. Would reperesent more.
That might work, but I feel like it might not be as effective as it was with the Koopalings because a lot of the characters have different body types (ex. Max Brass compared to Spring Man) or fighting styles (ex. Byte and Barq, or Twintelle). Then again, I haven't played much of ARMS, so I'm not sure how interchangeable they are in-game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This wouldn't be the most appealing pass for a large part of the community, but I'd be happy with something like this lol

My only "fear" is if the ARMS rep ends being the only fighting character in the pass. I'd like to see a FGC character in the pass.

The thing is... even if it's only Spring Man, the chances for Waluigi, Isaac and company are still the same because the pass is already decided. Yeah, in our eyes Spring Man being the ARMS rep would look like other fan requests that are already repped in the game could be promoted, but the choices they made for the pass won't change.
I'm not expecting a full lineup of promoted characters even if Spring Man is the character.
Inb4 people try to say Spring Man is an FGC rep despite ARMS' deepest tech being basic okizeme

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

The only upgrade I see happening is Shantae tbh. Her moveset goes perfectly with Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom