• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Fighter Pass 2 will mirror Fighter Pass 1, just watch
Byleth - Springman (Nintendo IPs)
Terry - Sol Badguy (fighting games)
Banjo - Geno (beloved former Ninty characters)
DQ Hero - SMT1 Hero (JRPGs with Nintendo history + Switch releases)
Joker - Nier (Japanese games without Nintendo history or Switch releases)
potted plant - an animate D-pad (things Sakurai was so preoccupied with whether or not they could add, they didn't stop to think if they should add.)

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I just still want Crash no matter what. Please, Nintendo, please. Don't tease me so hard!

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Because there's no point in backing your favourite character when it's only going to be one, meaning it's to prevent disappointment when it's not one of the more interesting choices
You could apply that to the entirety of Smash speculation. People would not heed it.

ARMS should definitely be aprpeciated as a pool of candidates since most Smash speculators either don't have favorites or are too horny to be objective about things, so most of the pool can be judged without most of the biases that fuel character support. Someone's going to be correct at the end of all this, after all, and what is speculation but a debate forum with internet points on the line?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You could apply that to the entirety of Smash speculation. People would not heed it.

ARMS should definitely be aprpeciated as a pool of candidates since most Smash speculators either don't have favorites or are too horny to be objective about things, so most of the pool can be judged without most of the biases that fuel character support. Someone's going to be correct at the end of all this, after all, and what is speculation but a debate forum with internet points on the line?
At the same time there's a difference between "Ooooh it could be anyone from anything!" And Nintendo going "It's one of these 15 characters, see you in June". Some of those 15 characters are cool, but some aren't and some are just dull. My mentality was "That would be cool" but knowing who the character is from also means I know for a fact some choices I don't like are on the table and Murphy's Law says Nintendo ****ed this up really badly and wants to drum up hype for Spring Man despite saying IT COULD BE ANYONE

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
This is the first I'm going in 100% blind for any newcomer dlc so I have no way to know who's the best choice and who will create salt.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean, Spring-Man is the protagonist. While it's certainly not guaranteed he'd be the pick, if it turns out that way, being surprised or particularly angry suggests a lack of accounting for or accepting a very possible outcome.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
They're obviously looking to give ARMS another shot at life, especially because it fell out of public eye for reasons no one can really pin down. Was the game not fun? DId Nintendo not promote it enough? Maybe people really do just want to play with shoulder buttons instead of motion controls?
From what I can tell, the reason it never caught on was because, as a spectator, it's just boring. When you're in the game, there's so much you have to consider between each punch thrown, proper positioning, using the terrain to your advantage, utilizing the occasional items, etc. There's a lot going on in the player's heads that it can be really engaging if you know what you're doing. But to a viewer, matches just look like a couple of clowns playing happy slaps for three minutes. One guy punches, the other punches back, occasionally they jump or grab or block or use a super move, it's very dull. Contrast that to Smash matches where characters are constantly moving around and doing all sorts of cool ****, from lengthy combos to sick spikes off-stage, to closing out a stock with a well-placed aerial or energy shot. Compared to that, ARMS looks like a couple of people playing D'n'D, and there's nothing more boring than watching people who aren't you or your friends play D'n'D.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm kind of hoping it is Springy if for anything to lay down a precedent of Assist Trophy promotion in the same game.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
potted plant - an animate D-pad (things Sakurai was so preoccupied with whether or not they could add, they didn't stop to think if they should add.)
That would be super boring, not even gonna lie...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nah, Sakurai's the one that chooses the main character of the games
Despite that, Nintendo still picked DQ Heroes over Slime and Terry Bogard over any other SNK character, not to mention Byleth over the House leaders.
Because there's no point in backing your favourite character when it's only going to be one, meaning it's to prevent disappointment when it's not one of the more interesting choices
That's an awful perspective to have towards speculation. Support the character you love, try to get others to see why you love them so much. If, in the end, they don't get in, at least you got to gush about something you like over the internet, which I'm sure is why most of us joined sites like this in the first place.

And who knows? Maybe they don't get in, maybe you build a massive support base that leads to the character getting in another day. I don't think the first ARMS character will be Dr. Coyle, but you can bet I'm gonna try to get her to be the second one!
Your pfp made me realize something...

Guys...

GUYS

KIRBY WITH SPRING ARMS
This is the best ****ing timeline

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Why Nier rather than the infinitely more popular and arguably more interesting 2B?

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I'm kinda wondering if them picking a 2 year old Switch title for a marketing push is tied to sequels/updates, or if Nintendo is just so bereft of any new games to promote they've falling back on evergreen titles. Like "Uhhh we... DLC, and uh did you try Arms? That's a neat game!".
The creator of ARMS is the Mario Kart Director guy and his general rule has always been "One game per generation" so id be surprised if we get ARMS 2 so soon.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Could be hard to say at this point but does anyone here legitmately think they could see themselves maining an ARMS character in Smash?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Could be hard to say at this point but does anyone here legitmately think they could see themselves maining an ARMS character in Smash?
I like Little Mac, so I can see myself having fun with them. Can't say anything more when we literally know nothing about who they are or how they fight.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
If they're fast, and have high mobility sure, if they don't then no.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
For real though I'm gonna say it again, my only issue is how they're handling it with Guess Who, if they just went "Hey it's this character" then at most I'd have apathy, though if they work like this I'd be game unless it's Spring Man despite Guess Who
Donkey Kong helicopter except his arms are as long as FD.

Let's make it happen Sakurai.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Donkey Kong helicopter except his arms are as long as FD.

Let's make it happen Sakurai.
If there's gonna be ARMS 2, I want Lanky Kong as a guest character.
He has no S T Y L E
He has no G R A C E
This monkey will punch your F U N N Y F A C E

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I personally think that it's indeed ARMS 2's main protagonist. It doesn't make sense to me that they would reveal only the series of the next character as the characters were already decided on earlier. And what's the point of keeping the fighter a secret if it's one of the original fighters? Unless it's a character that has to be revealed in a new game beforehand. And why wouldn't Nintendo pull a Roy here. Their main goal with the DLC is promoting their new games coming out and collabs with 3rd party companies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I feel like it's either Spring Man and Ribbon Girl as an Alt, Spring Man alone, a bunch of characters stuffed together, or an Arms 2 character.

I think that list goes from most likely to least likely. I don't think it's an Arms 2 character. It could be but it just seems like they either have a couple characters coming in as alts or they're not revealing it's spring man to throw people off.

Tl;dr I have a feeling it's Springy.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
I both believe and hope that it will not be springman. I feel like they wouldn't have been vague about which ARMS character it is if it was springman, and springman is just the lamest of the ARMS characters by far. That and the ninja guy.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
My guess is closer to the opposite considering the degree of range they'll have.
Unfortunately you're probably right, it's Corrin, and Byleth all over again in terms of longer range = lower speed/mobility.

Still even though they most likely would have low mobility in exchange for their reach, maybe the way they play might make me take them up. I still love playing as Corrin for time to time, despite wishing they were faster.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I both believe and hope that it will not be springman. I feel like they wouldn't have been vague about which ARMS character it is if it was springman, and springman is just the lamest of the ARMS characters by far. That and the ninja guy.
Fwiw Ninjara is the most popular character by volume. Spring-Man being third.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
If Spring Man gets in my reaction will be oh, okay. I don't hate him or anything, I just like Min Min more.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
My Take: there's 4 possible outcomes that I see. Ordered from most likely to least

1. It's Min Min

I think that popularity thing from last year lines up really well if it was done to select a potential ARMS candidate for Smash. Her being the most "popular" character is an absolute boon.

2. It's some sort of Hero/Bowser Jr. Scenario (My guess would be the basic ***** characters, Spring Man, Springtron, Ribbon Girl, Min Min)

This requires sacrifices in lore and gameplay, but it's also one of the only options here where being "secretive" makes actual sense

3. It's Spring Man

He's the main character. That's really it. He's the basic ***** of basic *******.

4. It's a character who is not a Spirit or Assist/Sequel character

I put this low because I think it's silly. The characters in Smash now are the most popular of the roster and the most marketable. To put it in comparison, They are the Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, Guile and Sagat of ARMS those are the characters that come to mind when you think of ARMS. The rest just feel like Dee Jay or T. Hawk or E. Honda. They're there, but they absolutely do not hold a candle to the former batch of characters.

As for why they are being secretive, I don't know. But it could absolutely be no reason at all. It gets people talking about the game. Nintendo literally needs no other motive. Hell, if a Sequel is coming maybe their design in Smash is based on the design they have in the sequel. It doesn't inherently mean it's a sequel character and I don't think they are misdirecting us either.

Cuz Nier has a sassy book voiced by Liam o'Brien, which honestly, I dunno how 2B can even compete.
Also a Foul mouthed
hermaphrodite
voiced by Laura Bailey.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Does anyone else feel like we're gonna have an ARMS waifu war in the midst of this?

I have already seen a discord chat debate on who'd they rather have between Min-Min and Twintelle.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
2. It's some sort of Hero/Bowser Jr. Scenario (My guess would be the basic ***** characters, Spring Man, Springtron, Ribbon Girl, Min Min)

This requires sacrifices in lore and gameplay, but it's also one of the only options here where being "secretive" makes actual sense
That's also my guess, a mix of several characters with similar body shapes. The secretive part and need for more times fit really well this story: four characters to design needs longer time, and not showing who it is makes people expecting things, that I believe will happen: both the face of the serie (Springman) and the fan favorite (Min Min), with additional Ribbon Girl and Ninjara.

And, BTW, the specificities of each characters may very well be embarked in the whole pack of characters. We already saw Smash fighters use thing they can't in their home game (Robin's Nosferatu, some Ness' skills, etc.)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
One thing I'd like to remind everyone who believes that this could be leading up to an ARMS 2 character is that everything shown in the Direct was from the orginal game.

It would be pretty misleading to show us the orginal 15 characters only to turn around and give us someone who, as of right now, doesn't even exist.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Methinks ARMS character was gonna be FP7, and FP6 is the character that got delayed due to Sakurai not being able to meet with their publisher.

Maybe an ARMS rep was going to be even later than FP7, and it's just the first in-house character they could use.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I personally think that it's indeed ARMS 2's main protagonist. It doesn't make sense to me that they would reveal only the series of the next character as the characters were already decided on earlier. And what's the point of keeping the fighter a secret if it's one of the original fighters? Unless it's a character that has to be revealed in a new game beforehand. And why wouldn't Nintendo pull a Roy here. Their main goal with the DLC is promoting their new games coming out and collabs with 3rd party companies.
I don't see it. They made it pretty clear it's someone from ARMS the game when you look at the presentation and what they're saying on the social media accounts, plus they're apparently doing events in the original game again now after stopping last year, which I don't see them doing if they plan on revealing a sequel. They aren't going to say it's someone from ARMS, show the 15 character roster, make us wait 3 months, and then just go lol it's someone from ARMS 2.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I hate the "It's not Twintelle, she uses her hair, not arms" nonsense.

I don't care which one of the ARMS characters gets in. (I'm rooting for Helix.)

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
One thing I'd like to remind everyone who believes that this could be leading up to an ARMS 2 character is that everything shown in the Direct was from the orginal game.

It would be pretty misleading to show us the orginal 15 characters only to turn around and give us someone who, as of right now, doesn't even exist.
Unless all 15 characters come back in ARMS 2 with different appearances and it's one of them.
We're not talking "new character"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom