• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Before somebody says, “Monster Hunter has a shot because it’s been really huge lately and is a major money maker for Capcom!”

Mother****ing Resident Evil.

Sales don’t matter now.
-

Anyway, as I’ve said...I think it’s plausible that Min-Min could be the single character, especially if it’s lining up with the selection of characters/popularity contest for ARMS. Or it’s Spring Man and Ribbon Girl. Or it’s 4 ARMS characters in one.

Either way, we still have many questions, certainly more questions than answers. Not sure how much I’ll be around as time goes on because I can imagine things will get maddening with the repeated arguments and what not. But we’ll see how this all turns out.
Sorry Jones, but Monster Hunter made a few more dollars than Resident Evil due to pachinko machines, meaning Sakurai has to automatically chose it now for our Capcom character /s
Capture.PNG

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
You mentioning K' reminded me of a thought I had a while ago.
In Japan, Echo fighters are called "Dash Fighters". K' was biologically infused with Kyo's DNA, making him somewhat of a biological clone of him, hence the name K'. Maybe the term came from K'. Probably not, but it's just a thought.
The term comes from derivatives in maths which are noted with a '.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
what if the new arms fighter is actually arms' party mode replacing Ultimate's garbage lobby system? ARMS did online super super well and I wish it was the standard for Nintendo online modes. Being paired up with different people constantly while sharing a general lobby was fantastic.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I ended up using Dark Samus more than OG Samus. Same with Daisy over Peach. Though I use Simon more than Richter.

Before somebody says, “Monster Hunter has a shot because it’s been really huge lately and is a major money maker for Capcom!”

Mother****ing Resident Evil.

Sales don’t matter now.
-

Anyway, as I’ve said...I think it’s plausible that Min-Min could be the single character, especially if it’s lining up with the selection of characters/popularity contest for ARMS. Or it’s Spring Man and Ribbon Girl. Or it’s 4 ARMS characters in one.

Either way, we still have many questions, certainly more questions than answers. Not sure how much I’ll be around as time goes on because I can imagine things will get maddening with the repeated arguments and what not. But we’ll see how this all turns out.
Listen, if Min Min can get in, why not Jill? Min Min's already a Spirit.

You mentioning K' reminded me of a thought I had a while ago.
In Japan, Echo fighters are called "Dash Fighters". K' was biologically infused with Kyo's DNA, making him somewhat of a biological clone of him, hence the name K'. Maybe the term came from K'. Probably not, but it's just a thought.
More of these Echoes could use a leather jacket and some shades.

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
So, how's speculation doing after this fine day? Looking forward to two months of debating the likelihood comparison between Kid Cobra and Lola Pop, I hope?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
what if the new arms fighter is actually arms' party mode replacing Ultimate's garbage lobby system? ARMS did online super super well and I wish it was the standard for Nintendo online modes. Being paired up with different people constantly while sharing a general lobby was fantastic.
Man I wish. The online in this game is embarrassing. I still can’t believe Sakurai thought it was okay to ship such an abomination.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Hey, if ARMS added good netcode to Smash's DLC, people would warm up to the idea more at least.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Listen, if Min Min can get in, why not Jill? Min Min's already a Spirit.
Timeframe. Min Min and the other ARMS Spirits were in the base game, AKA after the Season 1 DLC was chosen but before the Season 2 DLC was chosen. We found out that Resident Evil Spirits were coming 2 months after we found out about Season 2, which means that unless they were still negotiating rights for a REALLY long time, it’s highly likely the Resident Evil Spirits were put in the game after the Season 2 lineup was already decided.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Since Nintendo had a say in the picks there are three possibilities I see it could being

1. Springman as he is the face of Arms and basically the Ryu of it, where he is a basic character that good for newcomers to get a good grasp of their mechanics.
2. Min Min as she is a very popular character and her constant domination of party crash with the last one happening in June of last year could increase her chances as that was likely when they were deciding who the 6 characters are going to be and with the final Splatfest of Splatoon 1, Nintendo show events like those affect decisions they make with other games.
3. Arms 2 gets revealed in June and its the face of that game being a brand new character and this is just Nintendo's way of ****ing with us by making us think its a character from the first game.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Oh no...I just realized. Nintendo chose the characters, which means it's probably Spring Man. ****.
Spring Man and Ribbon Girl at the very minimum. They always love promoting the two together the same way they do with Inkling Girl and Inkling Boy.

If we’re lucky we’ll get a Hero/Bowser Jr. situation with any combo of Min-Min, Ninjara, Twintelle, etc. joining in.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Man, what a great reveal! I was kinda sad when ARMS didn't get a character on the base roster. I've never played it (I'll give the free trial a spin soon, though) but it looked so neat. And hearing about how the graphic novel kept getting delayed and still hasn't released only made me sadder. It's cool that Nintendo finally threw their hat into the ring when it came to the fighting game genre (yeah they've had Smash, but it uses pre-existing characters as far as who's playable, so it was nice to get a different take on the genre that used original characters), and while I've heard ARMS has a good amount of flaws, just seemed like a waste to let it fall by the wayside instead of giving it a sequel where things could be improved. And of course, Smash is perhaps the best way I can think of to give ARMS more attention. It seemed like a perfect fit, too, so I'm glad it's finally happening!

I've also been saying for a while that we're likely to get characters no one is talking about. After all, who thought we'd get Terry (or anyone from SNK for that matter) before the leak? And boom. Already, a character nobody was expecting (I'd assume ARMS got plenty of discussion in the pre-release days, of course. But now).

As far as who I think it will be, I'm expecting Spring Man. They always go with the face of the franchise. I don't think it would be impossible, though, to make a more generalized moveset that it wouldn't feel too weird if Spring Man had alts of, say, Ribbon Girl and Min Min. And look, I understand the characters all have super unique things from one another in ARMS, but I feel like it's possible that won't matter much in Smash. We have Daisy doing Peach things and Dark Samus doing Samus things, and Ganondorf is still very Falcon-y. If the fighter can stretch arms, and wouldn't look too weird with Spring Man proportions, it's very possible they'll be alts, no matter how different they may play from Spring Man in ARMS.

I'll laugh if it's Twintelle and she grabs with her actual arms instead of her hair since Ultimate seems to be on a mission to give the majority of the cast crap for grab range

Last edited:

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
Ribbon Girl is also the face of the franchise... I don’t know why people can’t seem to remember that.
Cause she's a mii fighter, and the community dictates the rules of no mii costume characters in Smash. Why do you think no one's even talking about her? Goes to my old point, when everyone in ARMS is either a Mii, an assist trophy, or a spirit.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Well that's strange. Why is there so little love for Max Brass or Dr. Coyle around here? Even in early 2018, I thought Max Brass would be an ideal ARMS rep.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Well that's strange. Why is there so little love for Max Brass or Dr. Coyle around here? Even in early 2018, I thought Max Brass would be an ideal ARMS rep.
Just looking at the roster, Dr. Coyle is my favorite. She's not that unlikely, I just think it's more likely we'll get Spring Man and/or Ribbon Girl, or yet more popular characters like Min Min or Twintelle

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Oh no...I just realized. Nintendo chose the characters, which means it's probably Spring Man. ****.
Nah, Sakurai's the one that chooses the main character of the games, Nintendo could choose the more popular Min Min or Twintelle since, well, they know that they'd be more popular and thus more likely to sell DLC..plus ARMS has no actual main character.
Ribbon Girl is also the face of the franchise... I don’t know why people can’t seem to remember that.
This is true, she's even punching Spring-Man in the face on the cover of the game.

DetectiveSS

Smash Cadet
Imagine if it’s a callback to E3 2018 and “Everyone is Here.” All of them.

...or Spring Man with a Ribbon Girl alt.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'm kinda wondering if them picking a 2 year old Switch title for a marketing push is tied to sequels/updates, or if Nintendo is just so bereft of any new games to promote they've falling back on evergreen titles. Like "Uhhh we... DLC, and uh did you try Arms? That's a neat game!".

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
It could definitely be another of those situations:

Sakurai: So here's a list of the character proposals from ARMS that we have. Which one should we make?
Nintendo: Okay!

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
If Spring Man truly is FP6, then Waluigi, Issac, Krystal, Shadow, Knuckles, Shovel Knight (my pick), Alucard, Black Knight , Midna, Zero, Ashley, Lyn, Sukapon, Rodin, Dillon, Wily, Akira, and Bomberman fans rejoice.
Mii Costumes and Spirits go without saying, of course.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I'm kinda wondering if them picking a 2 year old Switch title for a marketing push is tied to sequels/updates, or if Nintendo is just so bereft of any new games to promote they've falling back on evergreen titles. Like "Uhhh we... DLC, and uh did you try Arms? That's a neat game!".
They're obviously looking to give ARMS another shot at life, especially because it fell out of public eye for reasons no one can really pin down. Was the game not fun? DId Nintendo not promote it enough? Maybe people really do just want to play with shoulder buttons instead of motion controls?

In any case, ARMS is presently one of those games whose Smash chances die out as soon as Smash migrates to the next Nintendo system. So just like Three Houses, there's little wrong with spending one of the DLC spots on it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Assuming the ARMS content that is already included is a no go, I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of them.

Good. Death to the fanrules.
I pray the community does a better job with hypotheticals and nuance if we're going to survive the next two-three months.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
meanwhile astral chain gang:
rlm sad.jpg

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
In any case, ARMS is presently one of those games whose Smash chances die out as soon as Smash migrates to the next Nintendo system. So just like Three Houses, there's little wrong with spending one of the DLC spots on it.
Well again, sales plateau or not, online discussion or not, Nintendo isn't going to just permanently jettison a new IP that sold what ARMS did. That's just bad business, and the money the game made speaks louder than any of those other factors.

With or without the Smash connection, I'm pretty confident Nintendo will return to ARMS at some point.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Nintendo:
"Spring Man springs into action this Spring!"

Coronavirus:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Cause she's a mii fighter, and the community dictates the rules of no mii costume characters in Smash. Why do you think no one's even talking about her? Goes to my old point, when everyone in ARMS is either a Mii, an assist trophy, or a spirit.
Having a Mii Costume doesn’t deconfirm her. A lot of characters that are already in the game have Mii Costumes...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Because there's no point in backing your favourite character when it's only going to be one, meaning it's to prevent disappointment when it's not one of the more interesting choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom