• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hmmm

If we get another FG rep this game, I want it to be a bad guy; another non-bad guy would be pretty lame

Come on, there are so many cool bad guys to choose from:

Heihachi
Nightmare
Fulgore
Scorpion
Akuma
Geese
Sol

Wouldn't you guys rather have a bad guy?
The problem is that there are soooo many cool FG reps you could possibly include. Also Sol's an anti-hero, not an actual Badguy

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well King K. Rool and Chrom were upgraded from that to fighters in the base roster so those still can't be counted out.
He means as DLC fighters. Which I understand not happening for costumes added later on down the line.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
The problem is that there are soooo many cool FG reps you could possibly include. Also Sol's an anti-hero, not an actual Badguy
...that's the joke. All 'bad guys' except Sol, who is named 'Badguy', despite being a good guy.

On this subject, Do you guys think it would be justifiable if I were to make a Fighting Game Rep general support thread (sort of like the 1st party general, or female general)? I know there's not an incredible amount of people who want just an FG rep in general, but I feel kind of obnoxious posting about them here all the time.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Honestly, I think the only people setting themselves up for disappointment are ones who thing the pass will consist of nothing but the most heavily requested characters(I.E: Sora, Geno, Waluigi, Doom Guy, Master Chief, Ryu Hayabusa, etc etc all in one pack).

We will get one or two of them. That's for certain. But there's other factors to be had and personally, I like it when characters outside the typical speculation pool get talked about and get into Smash.

Despite peoples whining, I found Terry to be a very good pick in FP1 because I am an SNK nut and it is good SNK is getting the love they deserved after all these years.

And when we had people bring up both Sol Badguy due to the River City Spirit board and Monokuma due to the fake Danganronpa Smash leak, I actually got giddy. No one usually brought those two up but it felt very, very refreshing that people are speculating about the possibility of characters outside a certain group getting in, even if some got angry at the idea.

Just because a character isn't mentioned 24/7 doesn't mean they are a bad pick. Some characters just have vocal support and others IMO I feel like people are sleeping on or ignoring in favor of the commonly talked about characters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
...that's the joke. All 'bad guys' except Sol, who is named 'Badguy', despite being a good guy.

On this subject, Do you guys think it would be justifiable if I were to make a Fighting Game Rep general support thread (sort of like the 1st party general, or female general)? I know there's not an incredible amount of people who want just an FG rep in general, but I feel kind of obnoxious posting about them here all the time.
To quote Wreck it Ralph, “You are Badguy. But this doesn’t mean you are bad...guy.”

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I see, then what about Geno's missing mii costume ? Surely they already have the rights for him from SE because of his spirit, so that's not the problem.

Then again, there's a bunch of costumes that didn't come back, but still, i find it very strange.
Somewhat hot take, given it goes against the general opinion of the thread, but I think Geno's Mii Costume being missing makes me think he's in.

Geno's Mii costume wasn't just any Mii costume, it was one that had a lot of fanfare surrounding it. Rather than throwing it in montage as is standard practice, Sakurai slowed the direct down to show it off and give it a fighter-style splash screen. It's clear that Sakurai really liked having Geno's costume in the game, so its absence is pretty surprising.

Now, I have seen a lot of people throw Geno's costume returning with a remix and possibly a redesign, but that really leads into my second point: Why didn't that happen with Hero? In Smash for Wii U/3DS, Geno released specifically alongside Cloud to make things thematically work as a Square-Enix package, so why wouldn't they do that again? I doubt it's due to licensing issues, considering Geno and Mallow had base game spirits. I suppose they could be saving it for another Square character like Sora or 2B, but why they would wait to get it out to market?

I have similar feelings about the absence of Heihachi's Mii Costume: high fanfare for a Mii Costume upon announcement, an obvious spot to put him was missed with Terry's wave, and the general lack of Namco spirits makes me think they're being saved for his release.

Now, I have been wrong on these types of things before, so take it with a grain of salt and all that. However, this is genuinely what I think.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Quit saying that we Mii outfits disconfirm DLC fighters! I have evidence right here proving otherwise
F3CC8B20-FD75-46BE-86F8-3FF28D072CC0.jpeg
26C3DC47-968B-4ED7-8B66-B7F57BC8FBE0.png

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Now, I have seen a lot of people throw Geno's costume returning with a remix and possibly a redesign, but that really leads into my second point: Why didn't that happen with Hero?
Because that set of mii costumes was all Dragon quest themed.

Quit saying that we Mii outfits disconfirm DLC fighters! I have evidence right here proving otherwise
I'm pretty sure those are 2 different characters.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Because that set of mii costumes was all Dragon quest themed.

I'm pretty sure those are 2 different characters.
Yeah, but why not throw in Chocobo and Geno and just make it a general Square-Enix pack, similar to how Virtua Fighter was shown alongside Terry's costumes despite not being SNK? It wouldn't really go against the theme of the pack, but would slightly expand it from Dragon Quest to all of Square-Enix.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, but why not throw in Chocobo and Geno and just make it a general Square-Enix pack, similar to how Virtua Fighter was shown alongside Terry's costumes despite not being SNK? It wouldn't really go against the theme of the pack, but would slightly expand it from Dragon Quest to all of Square-Enix.
The funny thing is since they were going for FG characters with Terry’s costumes, they COULD have brought back the Heihachi costume, but they didn’t

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Either their saving it for a later character or he's in boys.
If it’s the former, I don’t think Lloyd will be the character. They’d probably include Heihachi, Lloyd and Gil’s costumes with a Namco character

probably KOS-MOS, a not-Lloyd Tales character, or someone from Soul Calibur

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With the Mii Costumes, never underestimate Nintendo just being oddly random at times. It could be a case of Geno getting a Cuphead/Sans level Mii Costume or actual fighter, but my own experience tells me they could just easily have the same Geno costume from Smash 4 randomly included with the next fighter with no indication that they notice or care that it showing up would be a significant deconfimration to people.

I hope that's not the case, but the nature of how they've done reveals tells me to take any significant "signs" with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What makes KOS-MOS more likely than someone from Soul Calibur?
... I didn’t list the characters in order of who I think is more likely? I’m just throwing them out there

I just don’t think the Namco character will be Heihachi, Lloyd or Gil as so far any 4 Costumes were only promoted to playable in the base game, in particular :ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultchrom::ultkrool:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Somewhat hot take, given it goes against the general opinion of the thread, but I think Geno's Mii Costume being missing makes me think he's in.

Geno's Mii costume wasn't just any Mii costume, it was one that had a lot of fanfare surrounding it. Rather than throwing it in montage as is standard practice, Sakurai slowed the direct down to show it off and give it a fighter-style splash screen. It's clear that Sakurai really liked having Geno's costume in the game, so its absence is pretty surprising.

Now, I have seen a lot of people throw Geno's costume returning with a remix and possibly a redesign, but that really leads into my second point: Why didn't that happen with Hero? In Smash for Wii U/3DS, Geno released specifically alongside Cloud to make things thematically work as a Square-Enix package, so why wouldn't they do that again? I doubt it's due to licensing issues, considering Geno and Mallow had base game spirits. I suppose they could be saving it for another Square character like Sora or 2B, but why they would wait to get it out to market?

I have similar feelings about the absence of Heihachi's Mii Costume: high fanfare for a Mii Costume upon announcement, an obvious spot to put him was missed with Terry's wave, and the general lack of Namco spirits makes me think they're being saved for his release.

Now, I have been wrong on these types of things before, so take it with a grain of salt and all that. However, this is genuinely what I think.
Same reason we still don't have the Chocobo costume

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
... I didn’t list the characters in order of who I think is more likely? I’m just throwing them out there

I just don’t think the Namco character will be Heihachi, Lloyd or Gil as so far any 4 Costumes were only promoted to playable in the base game, in particular :ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultchrom::ultkrool:
Ah I see. You phrased that in such a way where I thought you meant you thought SC was less likely than Kos-Mos

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
1) You make it sound like all of them are going to be bad additions. Hell, if they are unexpected pics, chances are people will be more hype for them.
2) This is a possibility because there aren't a lot of Nintendo franchises to add left. We're just going to have to wait and see.
3) The chance is there, but I personally find it unlikely. This just be my opinion, though.
4) Assist Trophies are a safe bet that they won't get upgraded to playable status. Mii Costumes? Well King K. Rool and Chrom were upgraded from that to fighters in the base roster so those still can't be counted out.
5) As low as I think Geno is, he is still in the running and can't fully be counted out yet. The chance exists, even if low.
6) This can admittedly be seen as an unfortunate pattern, but we will have to wait and see if this continues.

All these are very pessimistic ideas...
There is quite a few Nintendo franchise they could have include, but they're all dead and tied behind Assist Trophies and Mii Costume so it ain't happen. If anything they probably have plans for a Fire Emblem Remake in 2021 and that character is getting in, that seems to be the most likely scenario.

Those Mii Costumes you mention were made in Smash 4, and it took the next game for them to be upgraded. The purpose of the Mii Costumes is that you can "feel" like you're playing as the character, so if they made the costume that means they're not making them into fighters. With a purpose like that they're is a great chance that those characters will be taken off the table since they're already represented. And before you bring up how both the costumes and fighter of those characters are in Ultimate the only thing I got to say is that they decided on characters first during the planning stage, then later in development they could focus on making Mii Costumes and transferring over the old one. It's going to take a brand new game to get any of those characters back into consideration, expect for Rex since by the time a new game happens Xenoblade 2 will be outdated by the newest game.

Gen 8 Pokemon is inevitable. They always make a special exception for Pokemon, so much so they leave a spot open dedicated to one before they know who it's going to be (like we learn from Incineroar). Sword & Shield is going on right now, so it's the most obvious inclusion.

Why would Geno even be in the running at this point? The last fighters pass was suppose to be the final addition to the game and they were perfectly fine with leaving Geno as a Spirit. What makes this any different now? If the request of his inclusion wasn't strong enough to be put in the base game or Vol 1 then how does his even have a chance in Vol 2?

And terrible endings have been a constant pattern for Smash Bros, the only fluke was Smash 4 with Bayonetta but even then Corrin was included in that ending. They suck at ending Smash Bros and they never learn from their mistakes. They will start on a bang and end on a wet fart like usual.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
cannot wait for challenger pack 7: chocobo

the mii costume hasn't come back so they're basically guaranteed
“Who should be our next Square rep?”
Broke: Geno
Woke: 2B
Bespoke: Neku
Masterstroke: A HECKIN CHOCOBO.

Ouma2

Banned via Administration
There is quite a few Nintendo franchise they could have include, but they're all dead and tied behind Assist Trophies and Mii Costume so it ain't happen. If anything they probably have plans for a Fire Emblem Remake in 2021 and that character is getting in, that seems to be the most likely scenario.

Those Mii Costumes you mention were made in Smash 4, and it took the next game for them to be upgraded. The purpose of the Mii Costumes is that you can "feel" like you're playing as the character, so if they made the costume that means they're not making them into fighters. With a purpose like that they're is a great chance that those characters will be taken off the table since they're already represented. And before you bring up how both the costumes and fighter of those characters are in Ultimate the only thing I got to say is that they decided on characters first during the planning stage, then later in development they could focus on making Mii Costumes and transferring over the old one. It's going to take a brand new game to get any of those characters back into consideration, expect for Rex since by the time a new game happens Xenoblade 2 will be outdated by the newest game.

Gen 8 Pokemon is inevitable. They always make a special exception for Pokemon, so much so they leave a spot open dedicated to one before they know who it's going to be (like we learn from Incineroar). Sword & Shield is going on right now, so it's the most obvious inclusion.

Why would Geno even be in the running at this point? The last fighters pass was suppose to be the final addition to the game and they were perfectly fine with leaving Geno as a Spirit. What makes this any different now? If the request of his inclusion wasn't strong enough to be put in the base game or Vol 1 then how does his even have a chance in Vol 2?

And terrible endings have been a constant pattern for Smash Bros, the only fluke was Smash 4 with Bayonetta but even then Corrin was included in that ending. They suck at ending Smash Bros and they never learn from their mistakes. They will start on a bang and end on a wet fart like usual.
Ok, you are without a doubt trolling at this point. Gave it away with that part right here.

There is no way any person who thinks Spirits deconfirm believe that Gen 8 still has any sort of shot whatsoever. Literally the definition of contradicting beliefs, Gen 8 is in the same boat as Resident Evil and Ring Fit.

If you aren’t a troll, then sorry that you didn’t get Geno or Shantae, but the gaming landscape doesn’t revolve around this echo chamber. Cry more.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Ok, you are without a doubt trolling at this point. Gave it away with that part right here.

There is no way any person who thinks Spirits deconfirm believe that Gen 8 still has any sort of shot whatsoever. Literally the definition of contradicting beliefs, Gen 8 is in the same boat as Resident Evil and Ring Fit.

If you aren’t a troll, then sorry that you didn’t get Geno or Shantae, but the gaming landscape doesn’t revolve around this echo chamber. Cry more.
I hope you made your account just to call that kid out.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
“Who should be our next Square rep?”
Broke: Geno
Woke: 2B
Bespoke: Neku
Masterstroke: A HECKIN CHOCOBO.
Nintendo chooses none of them and picks Ark from Terranigma because he's awesome and deserves to come back!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Sure did, lol.

Surprised that the thread didn’t catch on to it. That part I pointed out pretty much soft confirmed that he is intentionally trolling.
Smashboards (or at least the newcomer speculation thread) kind of has a bad time with banning trolls, you need to do some crazy sh*t like claim that Sakurai and SNK's CEO are gay lovers to even be considered.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If it’s the former, I don’t think Lloyd will be the character. They’d probably include Heihachi, Lloyd and Gil’s costumes with a Namco character

probably KOS-MOS, a not-Lloyd Tales character, or someone from Soul Calibur
So THAT'S how Klonoa can still win!

D

Deleted member

I hope you made your account just to call that kid out.
Sure did, lol.

Surprised that the thread didn’t catch on to it. That part I pointed out pretty much soft confirmed that he is intentionally trolling.
Broke: sharing your negative pessimistic views on Smash to grind people's gears

Woke: sharing your negative pessimistic views on Smash to get new members to join Smashboards

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Woke: sharing your negative pessimistic views on Smash to get new members to join Smashboards
Bespoke: sharing your negative pessimistic views on Smash to show everyone your gamer Mephiles profile pic.

Seriously, why is nobody talking about THAT?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Spite is a surprisingly strong motivator.
I remember being relatively neutral on some characters I thought could be neat to see in Smash reaching the top of my most-wanted list purely because I saw so many people telling everyone that they were impossible to put in with an unbelievable level of condescension and overconfidence that I wanted to see torn down.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Welcome back, nessdeltarune00 nessdeltarune00 !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom