• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Depends on how big of a deal this character is.

They reserved the CGI for the characters who would make Japan **** their pants in hype and bring the Smash fandom to their knees, in the forms of Hero and Banjo & Kazooie. The other three all got relatively lower budget reveals, animated in the artstyle/sprites of their home series. And Piranha Plant was given a machinima (in game graphics) reveal.

I'm currently expecting a machinima trailer, though I could also see 2D anime reveal. I imagine that if they even have the budget to license out and make a CGI trailer it'd be reserved for the biggest of big deals. Stuff that would make headlines across the gaming industry, like Master Chief, Crash Bandicoot, Sora, or Lara Croft.
What about someone like steve?i personally think they will use cgi for his trailer too

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Not good news at all. It appears from the wording that they're at least announcing a character, it's just that development will be postponed.
I'm currently expecting a machinima trailer,
What a unique way to describe Terry's trailer, yet so accurate.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
What about someone like steve?i personally think they will use cgi for his trailer too
Steve himself wouldn't really require much more than a game style trailer. However the game he's attached to will probably make the biggest waves of all. Defo in CGI tier.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To be clear, we have no idea if this all pertains to F6, nor do we know if all of the DLC scheduled after this character will be delayed as well.

It's possible that this is F7 or F8. It's also possible that they'll move this character closer to the end of the pass due to delays and bump up the rest to stay on schedule.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Its possible that they were talking about FP8 or 9 considering he was going to travel to publisher destination to show the fighter proposal (that is basically a PPT presentation that includes character model, potential moveset, stage and possible song list). We knoe that nowdays Sakurai works in Namco-Bandai HQ, located in Tokyo.

This is a list of some japanese third party published HQ locations.

Capcom - Osaka (Same as Platinium Games)
Level-5 - Fukuoka
Koei-Tecmo - Yokohama (near Tokyo)
Square-Enix - Shinjuku (near Tokyo)
Konami - Osaka
Marvelous - Tokyo
Falcom - Tachikawa (near Tokyo)
NIS - Kakamighara
Bonus
Disney Japan - Tokyo

I have the feeling that he was talking of either Capcom or Level-5 as they are the ones that are located more far from N-B HQs.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Its possible that they were talking about FP8 or 9 considering he was going to travel to publisher destination to show the fighter proposal (that is basically a PPT presentation that includes character model, potential moveset, stage and possible song list). We knoe that nowdays Sakurai works in Namco-Bandai HQ, located in Tokyo.

Level-5 - Fukuoka
Konami - Osaka
Marvelous - Tokyo
NIS - Kakamighara
Bonus
Disney Japan - Tokyo

I have the feeling that he was talking of either Capcom or Level-5 as they are the ones that are located more far from N-B HQs.
Where’s Sega though?

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Are we seriously trying to divine who might be in the pass based on who Sakurai might reasonably not be meeting? It could be literally anyone, based on travel restrictions worldwide and within Japan.

SKX31

Smash Master

Level-5 - Fukuoka
Konami - Osaka
Marvelous - Tokyo
NIS - Kakamighara
Bonus
Disney Japan - Tokyo

The recomendation from the Japanese government to stay at home could still have a major effect though. For reference, the total confirmed cases in each prefecture (where the cities are) is:

Tokyo - 90
Osaka - 107
Fukuoka - 3 (last confirmed one March 1st)
Gifu (where Kakamighara's located - 2 (last confirmed one February 27)

Important note: These are known, confirmed cases. Since the virus is a sneaky bugger (it takes a while for symptoms to show IIRC) it can spread rather invisibly, and as thus mild or asymptomatic carriers can easily wind up not counted at all.

Again, I'll say what I said in my last post: This does not narrow down things much if at all. So the publisher in question is a major question mark. I'm agreeing in essence with HansShotFirst20 HansShotFirst20 .

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
off-topic
So to lighten the mood a bit, I present to you all the latest, and possibly greatest, Sonic character yet: Irish the Hedgehog.

Gumshoe77

Banned via Warnings
Its a shame that the original translator titled the tweet the way he did. Because now it leaves everyone jumping to conclusions.

Even though in reality, the snippets that we have so far are still up for interpretation.

(I don’t deny that future fighter release dates are very likely getting pushed back, but it was said Nintendo could still announce them, and its still up for debate whether or not it was FP6.)

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Steve himself wouldn't really require much more than a game style trailer. However the game he's attached to will probably make the biggest waves of all. Defo in CGI tier.
I dunno,i feel like steve is still one of the most iconic video game character even outside of minecraft

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Okay I'm bored. I've decided to make a moveset for my TimeSplitting Space Marine,

Sgt. Cortez! It's Time to Split!

My idea for Cortez is to make him a full on gun character who uses his dual Sci-Fi Handguns for ground moves, Plasma Autorifle for aerial moves and a Dispersion gun for Smash attacks. He'll be a semi-heavyweight with an average running speed but with a low jump height (owing to the fact that in the TimeSplitters games, characters cannot jump). Cortez can crawl but he cannot Wall jump.

While the TimeSplitters series has many different weapons from different time periods, I've opted to only use Futuristic weapons as even with Joker's model handgun, there will probably be some kind of excuse not to include the more conventional weapons of the series.

So with that out of the way, Check it out! I added some of my own gifs so you can better understand my vision for the character.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground moves

Cortez's standard ground moves will involve him using a pair of Sci-Fi Handguns that both hold 16 shots totalling up to 32 shots per clip. When he has used up all of his ammo, he must take a few seconds to reload before being able to use them again. The rate of fire varies depending if you hold or tap the button. Holding the button down will give it a slow rate of fire but when tapped, it's rate of fire greatly increases. Below you can see how this weapon functions between holding the button and tapping the button.
Sci-Fi handgun x2 shots.gif

Sci-Fi Handgun x2 Rapid Shots.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neutral Combo: Cortez stands still and shoots with his Sci-Fi Handguns.

Dash Attack: Cortez dives while shooting his dual Sci-Fi Handguns before having to make a tactical roll to end the move. Much like Snake's dash attack but the roll is delayed for him to shoot first.

Side Tilt: Cortez walks forward and shoots lasers out from his dual Sci-fi Handguns. Much like Megaman, this can be lead into from his neutral combo.

Down Tilt: Cortez shoots with his dual Sci-Fi Handguns while crouched. Unique to him is Cortez's ability to shoot while crawling.

Up Tilt: Cortez shoots with his Sci-Fi Handguns while looking upwards. Unique to Cortez is his ability to keep shooting upwards when holding the control sticks diagonally upward, essentially making it a fusion between Side-tilt and Up-tilt.
Aerial moves

Cortez uses the Plasma Autorifle to attack opponents where the fire rate starts slow but quickly picks up. However using it for too long will make the weapon overheat. Unique to his aerial moves is the ability to keep shooting while holding the command down. Tapping the button will only make Cortez shoot one bullet but holding it down will allow the Plasma Autorifle to increase it's fire rate and power.
Plasma Autorifle fast.gif

Neutral Aerial: Cortez shoots his Plasma Autorifle forward while airborne.

Forward Aerial: Cortez dives forward with a Plasma Autorifle and after he's done shooting, he does a front flip.

Back Aerial: Cortez pulls out his Plasma Autorifle and turns to shoot behind him.

Up Aerial: Cortez uses a Plasma Autorifle and shoots the weapon upwards, much like Mii Gunner.

Down Aerial: Cortez spread his legs apart and shoots below with a Plasma Autorifle.
Smash Attacks

For all three of his Smash attacks, Cortez wields the Dispersion Gun. A weapon that gathers in energy to create a sonic-boom type attack used to disperse large groups of enemies away from the user. The Dispersion gun acts much like a Shotgun so it has high damage and knockback. It also has a strong wind hit box, however for the weapon to be at it's most effective, it must be charged up before use.
Dispersion gun tap shot.gif

Dispersion gun charge shot.gif

Forward Smash: Cortez equips his Dispersion and stands his ground to charge up the weapon.

Up Smash: Cortez brings out his Dispersion gun, aims it up into the air and charges it up.

Down Smash: Cortez crouches down, facing the screen and brings out two Dispersion guns to the left and right of him and shoots them off.
Special moves
Neutral Special: Uplink grab - Cortez holds his arm out in front of him and activates his Temporal Uplink grab function. This allows Cortez to grab items and projectiles. Once a projectile is grabbed, it will float in front of Cortez where he can use it to throw a powerful projectile towards opponents.
Temporal Uplink.gif

Side Special: Rocket Launcher - Cortez brings out a Rocket Launcher and shoots out a rocket. However if this command is held down, Cortez will switch it to it's secondary function which fires off all of it's rockets at once.
Rocket Launcher single rocket.gif

Rocket-launcher-all-rockets-quick.gif

Up Special: Time Warp - Works much like Mewtwo's teleport. With a press of a button, Cortez can teleport in any direction. Not much to say about this one as it's a non-gameplay element.

Down Special: Flamethrower - Cortez brings out a Flamethrower and ignites any player in front of him on fire, causing damage akin to Poisoning or the effects of Joker's Eiha/Eigaon. It functions similarly to Bowser Fire Breath and Charizard's Flamethrower respectively. Unlike those moves, the fire does not weaken but using it for too long will use up all of it's fuel. It takes a few seconds for it to recharge but a flicker of flame will appear above Cortez to let the player know that the Flamethrower is ready to be used again.
Flamethrower.gif

Final Smash: Time travel - Cortez summons a Time Portal that has a gravitational effect that pulls in fighters. Any trapped fighters within the short time limit will then be transported to the Year 2401, where we see the fighters within the hangar of the self-destructing Space Station get attacked by the TimeSplitters. Past Cortez fires missiles directly at the fighters and TimeSplitters, blowing the Space Station up. If any Fighter is above 100% damage, they will be instantly KO'd. Otherwise the fighters will fly out of the Time Portal.
Time portal thing.png

Final Smash.gif

The rest
Grab and pummel animations: Cortez attempts to grab opponents with his Temporal Uplink grab, giving him an above average grab range. When grabbed, Cortez will grab a hold of his opponent and Melee attack them with his Sci-fi Handgun.

Forward throw: Cortez kicks the opponent diagonally upwards and shoots them. Much like Fox and Falco's throws.

Back throw: Cortez will swing the opponent by the leg to throw them behind him and then shoots them. Much like Fox and Falco's throws.

Up throw: Cortez throws the opponent upwards and shoots them. Much like Fox and Falco's throws.

Down throw: Cortez stomps the foe to the ground and shoots them. Much like Fox and Falco's throws.

Entrance animation: A time portal appears and Cortez jumps out from it to get into battle and yells "It's Time to Split!"

Idle animation 1: Cortez flips his dual Sci-Fi Handguns around his index fingers in the trigger area.

Idle animation 2: Cortez checks his Temporal Uplink as it brings up a holographic image. It then turns off as Cortez looks away from it.

Up Taunt: Cortez gets himself pumped up and yells "Yeah! Bring it on!"

Side taunt: Cortez holds out a brick and throws it behind him. Any opponent in it's path will take a tiny amount of damage.

Down Taunt: Cortez pulls out the TimeSplitters 2 Temporal Uplink where it plays a quick jingle of the Anaconda theme.

Victory animation 1: Cortez fist pumps and pulls a pose while yelling "Yeah! It's Time to Split!"
It's time to split fast.gif

This one to be exact... Time to Split!

Victory animation 2: Cortez puts away his Sci-Fi Handguns and cracks his knuckles while saying "Heh! I know what I'm doing!"

No gif for this one, the victory animation is original.

Victory animation 3: Cortez is seen next to a time portal and gives a smile and a salute towards the camera while saying "I gotta go!" and jumps through the portal.
Heading back through time.gif

Kirby Hat: Kirby obtains a pair of eye goggles similar to the ones Cortez wears in TimeSplitters 2. He uses a mini strap-on Temporal Uplink on his right arm.
END

Thank you for taking the time to read this movelist. I hope it was entertaining as I feel proud to have made this.

If you've read it all, Tell me what you all think.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Not Smash related but what do you want to see for the Nindies in 1h30 ? I would like to see a release date for Sports story and Disco Elysium on Switch. Maybe some Cuphead dlc info, but maybe Microsoft would keep that for them instead of a Nintendo focused presentation.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
surprised nobody is talking about this
0E421E9F-0C73-4905-BE22-C853246E7DA4.jpeg

could possibly be counting down to Fighter’s Pass 6? I don’t know just a thought

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Not Smash related but what do you want to see for the Nindies in 1h30 ? I would like to see a release date for Sports story and Disco Elysium on Switch. Maybe some Cuphead dlc info, but maybe Microsoft would keep that for them instead of a Nintendo focused presentation.
I mentioned this earlier, but I'm hoping we see Indivisible on the Switch.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
Unlikely, but I’m hoping for Hollow Knight: Silksong to get an “Available Now” stealth drop during the presentation. Also maybe another collab indie like Cadence of Hyrule.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I'd love for Pyre to get a port on the Switch, one of my all time favorite games.

I could see Frostpunk in the direct, that's a recent indie success not on Switch yet.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't know if Nintendo would want their holiday lineup to be dominated by ports, remasters, and remakes.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I'd recommend expecting nothing. But if we do get anything within the next month, I think the most realistic expectation would be a Mewtwo style reveal, where it shows a picture of the character being worked on (probably a little more than that, but not much). I wouldn't be surprised at all if we hear something like "We've been hard at work to bring this new character, but unfortunately this situation with Covid19 has made this very difficult for us, so we haven't gotten as far in development as we'd have liked. So, enjoy this information and look forward to this character. I hope to show you more about this amazing new fighter when we are able to."

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't know if Nintendo would want their holiday lineup to be dominated by ports, remasters, and remakes.
Depends on which games are being ported - if it’s something fans have been wanting for a while, I can see them doing well

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I wasn't really counting on anything Smash-related this month before this news (outside of a tease), but at this point I think we have to weigh the chances that DLC for Smash Ultimate will be outright cancelled due to this. At the very least, anything before August feels like a pipe dream since I'd imagine manpower and working hours have dropped significantly, and even June feels too early if a postponement has to be announced. May was never happening to begin with, but now I think March and April can be considered busts.

Personally I expect October to November, though I'm also pessimistic. This is going to be a very long wait, because until the pandemic can be controlled to an extent it's safe to release, doing stuff like this is probably going to get too many people killed, or infected. This year is not our year.
I doubt they'd do that as they sold it, not to mention stockholders will be pissed, devs are likely going to be able to work from home which will slow things down significantly, but I don't see cancellation as a problem

D

Deleted member

Just passing by to remind people of what I said yesterday:

A Smash reveal getting delayed doesn't mean a general Direct won't happen in March, April or May.

We can still get a Direct, just without Smash or some sort of Mewtwo or Terry reveal.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just passing by to remind people of what I said yesterday:

A Smash reveal getting delayed doesn't mean a general Direct won't happen in March, April or May.

We can still get a Direct, just without Smash or some sort of Mewtwo or Terry reveal.
We could get a Joker/Terry style “prototype” trailer teaser

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
There was a problem fetching the tweet
This is huge.
I guess they weren't going to wait for E3 for the first reveal
well at least It's a lot more important to be safe and a smart idea to delayed the pass, and honestly I'm not exactly surprise by this because something from the back of me just knew this would happen since the spread of coronavirus.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Look at the bright side of this. Sakurai will finally get the break he absolutely needs. Dude should of had it long ago.

This can wait. Lives are more important and first.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
This can wait. Lives are more important and first.[/QUOTE said:
WROOOOONG! Me getting entertained is literally the most important thing!!! >:()

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom