• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Nah let's propagate the rumor, it's better than another FE discussion.
It's probably some kind of blasphemy to say on these boards, but I'd gladly sacrifice Simon/Richter and Snake, as much as I love them, if there's a chance to see a new proper Castlevania and Metal Gear game, even if it's not on a console I own. Like, I'm not crazy if I value seeing another real, actual game over them guest starring in a crossover game, there's a reason why you see people clamoring for Captain Falcon to have a new game despite showing up every console generation in one of the biggest games in Nintendo's library.

Like, literal worst case scenario, Simon/Richter and Snake don't show up in future Smash games, but we already figured that Ultimate was going to be the peak anyways with "Everyone is here". You can play these characters in Smash already, it's not like they're gonna release a patch to render you incapable of playing them in Ultimate if the deal goes through.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
To be fair, Konami has already taken CV from you. Along with all its other franchises.

But yeah, I'd rather Nintendo bought them.

Except for the part where Konami would be fine, because most of the company's money doesn't come from video games.
Yeah, from pachinko, which is slowly dying out as is. Which is getting hit HARD by the current pandemic not just because of quarantine, but because the people who play pachinko the most are the risk group of it.
Nah let's propagate the rumor, it's better than another FE discussion.
It's probably some kind of blasphemy to say on these boards, but I'd gladly sacrifice Simon/Richter and Snake, as much as I love them, if there's a chance to see a new proper Castlevania and Metal Gear game, even if it's not on a console I own. Like, I'm not crazy if I value seeing another real, actual game over them guest starring in a crossover game, there's a reason why you see people clamoring for Captain Falcon to have a new game despite showing up every console generation in one of the biggest games in Nintendo's library.

Like, literal worst case scenario, Simon/Richter and Snake don't show up in future Smash games, but we already figured that Ultimate was going to be the peak anyways with "Everyone is here". You can play these characters in Smash already, it's not like they're gonna release a patch to render you incapable of playing them in Ultimate if the deal goes through.
Ok but Konami's doing what Capcom did with Mega Man. The anniversary collection, Requiem, the SotN mobile port and the critically acclaimed show have all happened in recent years, not to mention the success of Bloodstained and Iga saying that if Konami wanted him back they can ask him back, suggests to me that Konami went "Oh right people like this!"

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Konami's got a lot of issues, not just the lack of proper new games either. Their employees are notoriously worked like dogs, even before the major-ish push back we see now regarding Crunch in the game industry. Like, supposedly, NRS is addressing their terrible ways of treatment, with MK11's DLC being more spaced out than before, but obviously, unless you worked there it's harder to say how much things truly improve.

CV's slowly making it's comeback like Mega Man though. Same as Crash. If we're lucky, we'll hear from another new Mega Man game, and the new stuff for CV and Crash as well. Oh, and those Battle Network collections, if they ever happen.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
If Castlevania had made the jump to 3D as well as Mario and Metroid did, modern Castlevania would basically be God of War.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah, from pachinko, which is slowly dying out as is.
It's not just pachinko either. You should look them up. Video games are, like, their sixth most important revenue stream.

Ok but Konami's doing what Capcom did with Mega Man. The anniversary collection, Requiem, the SotN mobile port and the critically acclaimed show have all happened in recent years, not to mention the success of Bloodstained and Iga saying that if Konami wanted him back they can ask him back, suggests to me that Konami went "Oh right people like this!"
Or, they did all those things to raise the value of those properties in preparation for selling them.

If Castlevania had made the jump to 3D as well as Mario and Metroid did, modern Castlevania would basically be God of War.
Realtalk: The best example of what a modern 3D CV game should be is Bloodborne.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
And really, Nintendo and Microsoft aren't your buddies either. They're also companies looking to get your cash money fam.
True to an extent, but Microsoft publishes their games on PC and has started to port them to Switch.
And Nintendo's IPs are made to take advantage of the new gimmicks of their console, so they would lose their certain "magic" if they were made primarily for other consoles.
Technically, all corporations are your enemies, but Sony is clearly the worst of the big 3.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It's not just pachinko either. You should look them up. Video games are, like, their sixth most important revenue stream.

Or, they did all those things to raise the value of those properties in preparation for selling them.

That first point's fair enough but I don't **** with the others. Castlevania typically performs best on Nintendo and Sony already owns Bloodborne, the rumour says that Sony wants a 3D CV game in the vein of Lord of Shadows when in reality they can make Bloodborne 2: Castle and achieve the same thing

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
That first point's fair enough but I don't **** with the others. Castlevania typically performs best on Nintendo and Sony already owns Bloodborne, the rumour says that Sony wants a 3D CV game in the vein of Lord of Shadows when in reality they can make Bloodborne 2: Castle and achieve the same thing
I don't actually want or think Sony is buying Konami's IPs. I was just taking issue with the notion that selling them would end Konami. End them as a video game developer? Yes. But is that really that different to the way they are now?

The Bloodborne thing is not limited to Sony. If ANYONE, even Konami, wants to make a new 3D CV game BB should be the model for it.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I don't actually want or thing Sony is buying Konami's IPs. I was just taking issue with the notion that selling them would end Konami. End them as a video game developer? Yes. But is that really that different to the way they are now?

The Bloodborne thing is not limited to Sony. If ANYONE, even Konami, wants to make a new 3D CV game BB should be the model for it.
Ah, my mistake.

That's kind of my point, the rumour says Sony wants a 3D Castlevania when they have an IP they already fully own that's pretty much 3D Castlevania already

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Wanting a Soulsborne Castlevania is up there with "Platinum should make a Shinobi game with DMC-lite gameplay" of bad ideas

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I’ll do a top 10 woman I wish to see in Smash list too!
1. Shantae
2. Agitha
3. Volleyball Player
4. Mach Rider
5. Asha
6. Reimu
7. Carmen Sandiego
8. Joule Adams
9. Linkle
10. Patricia Wagon
Nice to see some appreciation for Carmen Sandiego :)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Wanting a Soulsborne Castlevania is up there with "Platinum should make a Shinobi game with DMC-lite gameplay" of bad ideas
I mean, if it were up to me, they'd just keep making 2D metrovanias.

But, like it or not Soulsbornes are the closest 3D games have ever come to emulating the gameplay of of the classic pre-metrovania Castlevanias. And they're also just better games than any 3D Castlevania game.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I mean, if it were up to me, they'd just keep making 2D metrovanias.

But, like it or not Soulsbornes are the closest 3D games have ever come to emulating the gameplay of of the classic pre-metrovania Castlevanias. And they're also just better games than any 3D Castlevania game.
Im not really seeing that

Castlevania is a unique platformer
Id even say the art direction in bloodborne feels nothing like CV

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I learned from PapaGenos that there's a big rumor going around that Sony's looking to buy several Konami franchises.
Please be false false false. I don't wanna lose Snake, Simon, and Richter in Smash.
I love Castlevania, but I don't wanna buy a PlayStation to play it.
Ugh. **** Sony. They are a soulless corporation that only sees dollar signs. PlayStations are just inferior PCs with a bad controller. Why the **** is the left analog stick on the BOTTOM? That's so dumb and unergonomic. I even gave Nintendo hell for ****ing up the Wii U Pro Controller by putting the buttons on the bottom, but they fixed it with Switch. Why even own a PlayStation? It's not as powerful as a PC, but it's not portable like the Switch. Goddamn. Don't take my Castlevania away. Your last good console was the PSX, because consoles were fundamentally different in the 90s instead of being modified PCs nowadays. At least your games were different than the Nintendo 64, so I could enjoy them for what they were. Now you just pay off companies for exclusivity on your ****ty box. Boo! Either publish your games for multiple platforms or put some pride into your consoles like Nintendo.
Ugh. **** you, Sony. Don't you DARE take Castlevania from me!
**** CAPITALISM! SEIZE THE GODDAMNED MEANS OF PRODUCTION!
REVOLUTION!!!!!! :ultbrawler:
This post is "kid breaking his PC because Horizon is on PC" levels of cringe.

And the stick being on the bottom is the better way, fight me.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Action platformers don't really work in 3D. Especially for a slow, methodical character. Which is why CV shouldn't try and BE a platformer in 3D.

That's fair. The look is not really the part I'm after.
eh the Shinobi PS2 games were pretty great. They legit just took the whole "Lets take this hardcore 2D action platformer with a ninja and put it in 3D" and it honestly worked. They even added a unique gimmick that allowed you to insta kill enemies by combo killing them in a short time limit like how an ninja in a anime would do. you can even do this to insta kill bosses.

Id prefer a 2D Castelvania game anyday but if they ever took stab at a 3D game Id prefer they try to think hard of it being a "castlevania but in 3D" before they start taking inspiration from other games. Those Lord of Shadow games were all over the place (GoW and SotC inspirations) and they never felt like they were "Castlevania".

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
You mean Bloodborne.
(Literally doing a Threaded Cane (whip) run right now)
Soulsborne is basically the spiritual successor to Castlevania, so I'm pretty fine with the current status-quo of no new Castlevania games, as long as the Soulsborne games don't drift too far from that Castlevania feeling like Sekiro did.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Except for the part where Konami would be fine, because most of the company's money doesn't come from video games.
You aren't wrong but, even before this pandemic, Konami has been taken loss after loss after loss in the stock market to the point that a lot of back fire has come from the stockholders. This has been steadily happening since Kojima's firing, and now with this pandemic not even their Pachinko Machines are making them money. Not that they were even before because, believe it or not, their Pachinko machines have been less and less popular because, well, franchise exposure is down. Way down.

Konami didn't realize when they stepped away from Video Games that doing so would also hurt their Pachinko business. Franchise/IP exposure is a perfect way to make sure that these people play YOUR machines instead of someone else's right across the room. Without that exposure people are more likely to go for a Machine that they're more familiar with.

Because of this Konami has been TRYING, ATTEMPTING, to make adjustments and build teams and shake up their staff since around the start of the 2018-19 Fiscal year. We have yet to see the outcome of this but the Anniversary Collections were a stepping stone of sorts to these larger things. The revival of Rogue Corps, for as bad as it was, was as well. Sony MAY have offered to buy out these franchises from Konami, yes they could have, but it seems unlikely that Konami's grand return and investment into it's new projects would just be straight cancelled because Sony offered them money. I mean it could happen but it seems highly unlikely at the least.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Lort, people, it was an honest mistake and, honestly, really not that big of a deal. It's not well known or even played in Japan either way. Didn't mean to cause a ruckus lol.
Dude it's like the twentieth time I've ever had to correct it, I don't even know where people get this info from. :drshrug: What's the source of this hearsay?

I care about that more than anything regarding MK in Smash.

Last edited:

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
I still need to see something that indicates in any form or way that Konami is going to sell off their golden geese. It's not a matter of how badly Konami is doing - selling them off is just incredibly short-sighted and does nothing sustainable, nor is Sony going to buy separate IPs that is most likely going to cost a significant chunk of money.
And at the end of the day, for what? If its exclusives, they could just license the IPs out for free money. This rumor makes no sense.

Even the admins are believing the lies?

View attachment 265995

Flashback to when everyone in a Japanese youtube comment section kept calling Doom Slayer just another Samus.
I mean does it really matter when the point is that it's half-dead in the country that produces the game
The fact that SNK/FF got chosen over MK as the next fighting rep shows where Nintendo's priorities huh?

I wonder what pachinko machines are based off. Surely it can't based off their popular IPs right....?

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I mean does it really matter when the point is that it's half-dead in the country that produces the game
The fact that SNK/FF got chosen over MK as the next fighting rep shows where Nintendo's priorities huh?
Only a minor nitpick here - SNK's been active, it's just that most projects have been KOF / SamSho, and most projects that aren't on consoles (like KOF XIV / XV and SamSho 2019) have been mobile and / or focused on China: including two Metal Slug mobile games. Makes sense, since SNK was bought out by a trio of Chinese (okay, one of them is Hong Kong-based, but that's besides the point) companies and one of those owners is a mobile game developer.

From what I've seen of the Konami pachinko machines (which is very little mind) one of them is MGS 3, and another is based on Castlevania IIRC.

By the by, I'm also really skeptical of the rumor, not least since Konami's continued to publish mobile games (they just released SOTN for Android / iOS, and are still updating Grimoire of Souls). The mobile sphere is incredibly iffy (not least because of its feast or famine nature or how easily things can spiral into Microtransaction Hell), but it was the area Konami wanted to prioritize when they restructured in 2015 (which helped lead to Kojima's / Del Toro's departure). It doesn't make that much sense for them to sell to Sony when they're releasing mobile games / ports of the rumored IPs in question.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I learned from PapaGenos that there's a big rumor going around that Sony's looking to buy several Konami franchises.
Please be false false false. I don't wanna lose Snake, Simon, and Richter in Smash.
I love Castlevania, but I don't wanna buy a PlayStation to play it.
Ugh. **** Sony. They are a soulless corporation that only sees dollar signs. PlayStations are just inferior PCs with a bad controller. Why the **** is the left analog stick on the BOTTOM? That's so dumb and unergonomic. I even gave Nintendo hell for ****ing up the Wii U Pro Controller by putting the buttons on the bottom, but they fixed it with Switch. Why even own a PlayStation? It's not as powerful as a PC, but it's not portable like the Switch. Goddamn. Don't take my Castlevania away. Your last good console was the PSX, because consoles were fundamentally different in the 90s instead of being modified PCs nowadays. At least your games were different than the Nintendo 64, so I could enjoy them for what they were. Now you just pay off companies for exclusivity on your ****ty box. Boo! Either publish your games for multiple platforms or put some pride into your consoles like Nintendo.
Ugh. **** you, Sony. Don't you DARE take Castlevania from me!
**** CAPITALISM! SEIZE THE GODDAMNED MEANS OF PRODUCTION!
REVOLUTION!!!!!! :ultbrawler:
The PS2 was pretty good.
Also, that last bit?..

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Last night I had a dream about a direct, it included the announcement of Dante (FP6), "Nightmare" (FP7), and alternate skin DLC.

I've had worse dream characters (looking at you, Cheeto Bowser)

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Last night I had a dream about a direct, it included the announcement of Dante (FP6), "Nightmare" (FP7), and alternate skin DLC.

I've had worse dream characters (looking at you, Cheeto Bowser)
I remember having one where Lincoln Loud and Godzilla got into Smash as a duo fighter. (Just like Ice Climbers and Duck Hunt.)
Their Side Special was Lincoln grabbing Godzilla's tail and swinging the big guy around really fast, it was ridiculous I tell you.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
There was a problem fetching the tweet
This is huge.
I guess they weren't going to wait for E3 for the first reveal

D

Deleted member

There was a problem fetching the tweet
This is huge.
Oh...dear me.

Can't they just drop some minor stuff without showing gameplay like they did with Joker and Terry?

Last edited by a moderator:

Heoj

Smash Ace
Okay so this could be pretty huge but well just have to wait for more info, i wouldnt be surprised if sakurai himself will tweet about this topic soon.

SKX31

Smash Master
http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/29665

So this was posted at Papagenos, ryokutya2089 had done leaks like Kid Goku in Dragon Ball Fighterz, can anyone roughly translate this into English?
From what Google Translate tells me:

• New Fighter delayed due to COVID-19
  • Production of DLC to be delayed
  • Something about a worker getting infected while working on the said character
This is huge.
Yeah, better be safe than sorry on that one. I also doubt every worker on FP2 have the neccessary dev kits available at home. Depending on how long the lockdown lasts we could see a 1-2 month delay.

The most important thing though: hope that said worker recovers and that everyone on the dev team stays safe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom