• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevenant

Smash Lord

If Gen 8 gets an Pokemon rep in the roster anyone think it could be an Galar Trainer as this video proposed?

What do you guys think?
Galar Pokemon Trainer is new. I’d like it but wouldn’t expect it as it’s 3 characters in one with the only move they share is the down special.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that they would put in another Pokemon Trainer character, especially as a DLC character.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So that guy who predicted Season Pass 2 with math. He's decided to redo his predictions.

Edit: Ain't gonna lie. I'm down for this being Season Passs 2. Its got Crash and 2B plus Dr. Eggman is an welcoming addition.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
So looks like COVID-19 is interfering with development of characters based on what we've seen from the leaked column. This has been stated before, but the safety of those involved is important. I'm hoping the virus subsides within the near future.

In the meantime, let's have some fun. With the Indie World presentation showcase having aired just today, make a fighters pass that is entirely consisted of characters from indie games. Characters who originate from freeware games and Flash games are included in this category. Here's what I got:
  1. Quote (Cave Story)
  2. The Knight (Hollow Knight)
  3. The Batter (OFF)
  4. Dust (Dusty: An Elysian Trail)
  5. Octodad (Octodad: The Dadliest Catch)
  6. Reimu (Touhou)

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
So looks like COVID-19 is interfering with development of characters based on what we've seen from the leaked column. This has been stated before, but the safety of those involved is important. I'm hoping the virus subsides within the near future.

In the meantime, let's have some fun. With the Indie World presentation showcase having aired just today, make a fighters pass that is entirely consisted of characters from indie games. Characters who originate from freeware games and Flash games are included in this category. Here's what I got:
  1. Quote (Cave Story)
  3. The Batter (OFF)
  6. Reimu (Touhou)
I was thinking of a couple other fighters too :)

They include -
1. Gunvolt (Azure Striker Gunvolt)
2. Get Over It Guy (?) (Get Over It)
3. Henry Stickman (Henry Stickman)
4. Meat Boy (Super Meat Boy)
5. (a big technicality these days, but a totally hype pick if it were pulled off then) Steve (Minecraft
6. Spelunker (Spelunky)

Again, not all of these are ones I'd say 'holy jesus wow' at, but some make some good sense - namely Gunvolt and Steve, to me - and some would be pretty fun, like how a moveset could be fashioned around a bloke in a cauldron with a sledgehammer. There's my two cents! :)

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887

1. Quote (Cave Story)
  3. The Batter (OFF)
  6. Reimu (Touhou)
1. Frisk (Undertale)
2. Hornet (Hollow Knight)
3. Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
4. Quote (Cave Story)
5. Escapist (The Escapists)
6. Steve (Minceraft)

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

1. Quote (Cave Story)
  3. The Batter (OFF)
  6. Reimu (Touhou)
1. The knight (Hollow knight)
2. The stranger (Furi)
3. Cadence (Crypt of the Necrodancer)
4. Otus (Owlboy)
5. Welltaro (Downwell)
6. Madeline (Celeste)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
1 - Dorothy (Steamworld Dig 2)
2 - Golfer (Golf Story)
3 - Subject Zero (Katana Zero)
4 - Trace (Axiom Verge)
5 - Ori (Ori & the Blind Forest)
6 - Ninja (Mark of the Ninja)

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I am so not surprised about the whole coronavirus thing, but that's only because that **** has been ****ing over everything. Health comes first and that's what matters the most, but at the same time I just want this nightmare to end already.

On better notes, hearing that we have yet another third-party character in the works is cool.

D

Deleted member

With everything that has transpired around the world, I would wonder if Sakurai will talk about the coronavirus and its current impact on development and the Japanese gaming industry as a whole in a Famitsu column.
Well **** me Sakurai's next column is really going to be about this. I'll definitely try to tune in to Dustin's translation tomorrow when I can.

Well other than that, Indie World had 1 intriguing FPS game, SWERY65 talking about The Good Life, and Exit the Gungeon being shadowdropped today. I haven't played Enter the Gungeon, but a Gungeoneer in Smash sounds really intriguing to me right now.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I am so not surprised about the whole coronavirus thing, but that's only because that **** has been ****ing over everything. Health comes first and that's what matters the most, but at the same time I just want this nightmare to end already.

On better notes, hearing that we have yet another third-party character in the works is cool.
To be fair, he didn't exactly say "third-party", just that they needed to talk to a publisher. It could be Nintendo, a second-party, or anybody.

Gumshoe77

Banned via Warnings
To be fair, he didn't exactly say "third-party", just that they needed to talk to a publisher. It could be Nintendo, a second-party, or anybody.
There are no travel restrictions in Japan right now, which is the stated reason for the delay.

Writing is on the wall that it is likely a Western publisher.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
@ the people who mentioned Gunvolt and Ori for indie choices:

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sakurai could've had a meeting scheduled with someone who's involved with Nintendo. I don't think he was explicitly saying that a third-party company building which he was planning to visit got shut down.

It's out of character for him to reveal that much information about an upcoming fighter.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
It's out of character for him to reveal that much information about an upcoming fighter.
It's the same man that outright shifted the blame on Nintendo over Byleth's reception. I fail to see what's so "out of character" about saying "I had to meet a publisher".

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie, Eggman would be an awesome addition :)
I'm here to make an announcement, Eggman got SHAFTED in Ultimate. Bowser, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Wario, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Ridley, K.Rool are all playable (Bowser Jr, Dark Samus, Wolf, and the Plant too I guess), Dracula and Marx got bosses, Metal Face and Yellow Devil are stage Hazards, and Andross, Black Knight, Ghirahim, The Ghosts, Gray Fox, Nightmare, Samurai Goroh, Skull Kid, Waluigi, and Dr Wily are all Assist Trophies. Oh, and Knuckles and Shadow too. Even Porky got a boss in Brawl.

Meanwhile one of the most iconic villains in gaming is stuck as nothing but a goddamn PNG. Doesn't even get a Stage Hazard on Green Hill Zone. I've always thought Sonic was one of the worst represented franchises in Smash (among those that actually have a character) for a bunch of reasons, this just adds onto that.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
You people aren't actually using a global pandemic to claim Crash is in smash, right?

Don't actually do this. That's just a **** move.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

If Gen 8 gets an Pokemon rep in the roster anyone think it could be an Galar Trainer as this video proposed?

What do you guys think?
I highly doubt we'll ever get anything like Pokémon Trainer again, and I doubly doubt we're getting it as DLC. I said pretty much the exact same thing when people proposed all the House Leaders from Three Houses should be cooked into one character, a 3-in-1 character is way too much workload when you've got a scaled down team and a tight schedule to keep up with. Furthermore, a new Pokémon Trainer doesn't exactly bring anything new to the table, it's just doing the same thing twice over, it's nice for the fan service, but conceptually the idea isn't worth the extraordinary effort like it was when the concept was brand new.

It feels to me like these ideas are only ever brought up because people struggle to choose between any three options, but that's obviously not been a problem before with how they've previously picked Greninja and Incineroar and left the other starters in the dust. If someone wants to predict a Pokémon starter, then just go all-in on one of them, it might be a bit of a dice roll, but it's more likely than just thinking everyone will get in.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You people aren't actually using a global pandemic to claim Crash is in smash, right?

One person saying something doesn't warrant a "you people."

Gumshoe77

Banned via Warnings

Show me where people are claiming that a pandemic = Crash in Smash.

I’ll wait.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
if anything they'd be explicitly claiming a pandemic was confirming Jill Valentine

which we can safely say isn't happening due to the RE Spirit event

Gumshoe77

Banned via Warnings
IDK about you but it's literally on this page

but hey, bickering ain't gonna do anything
Please explain to me how it is “using a pandemic to claim Crash is in”. Or were you just looking for an excuse to start moral grandstanding?

Because idk about you, but all I saw was speculation about who the delayed fighter could be (whether its FP6 or not), given the information on the column and lack of Japan travel restrictions. Literally nowhere did anyone state “OH MY GUSH THIS DEADLY PANDEMIC COULD CONFIRM CRASH!!!! CRASH IS CONFIRMED EVERYONE!!!!!”

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
There are no travel restrictions in Japan right now, which is the stated reason for the delay.

Writing is on the wall that it is likely a Western publisher.
Crash, most likely.
Safest bet possible on who that character is.
Crash feels more E3 (Digital). That's only if FP6 is being delayed up until that point.
well here's the discussion and i fail to see how it says that coronavirus = crash
closest thing is referring to the travel restrictions, and it's possible implications
crash was only considered as a result of the possible implications, so the conversation wasn't 'well we got disease so crash is a lockin.'
just saying

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Please explain to me how it is “using a pandemic to claim Crash is in”. Or were you just looking for an excuse to start moral grandstanding?

Because idk about you, but all I saw was speculation about who the delayed fighter could be (whether its FP6 or not), given the information on the column and lack of Japan travel restrictions. Literally nowhere did anyone state “OH MY GUSH THIS DEADLY PANDEMIC COULD CONFIRM CRASH!!!! CRASH IS CONFIRMED EVERYONE!!!!!”
1584481531837.png

I mean if you really, really want to make this a problem, go for it. I'm not interested, however.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I'm here to make an announcement, Eggman got SHAFTED in Ultimate. Bowser, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Wario, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Ridley, K.Rool are all playable (Bowser Jr, Dark Samus, Wolf, and the Plant too I guess), Dracula and Marx got bosses, Metal Face and Yellow Devil are stage Hazards, and Andross, Black Knight, Ghirahim, The Ghosts, Gray Fox, Nightmare, Samurai Goroh, Skull Kid, Waluigi, and Dr Wily are all Assist Trophies. Oh, and Knuckles and Shadow too. Even Porky got a boss in Brawl.

Meanwhile one of the most iconic villains in gaming is stuck as nothing but a goddamn PNG. Doesn't even get a Stage Hazard on Green Hill Zone. I've always thought Sonic was one of the worst represented franchises in Smash (among those that actually have a character) for a bunch of reasons, this just adds onto that.
Yeah, if there's one thing I wish Ultimate did more was to have bosses for each character in WoL, even if they we're ATs with Health Bars.

As for the delay, it won't be an announcement delay, just a release delay. If any character announcement is delayed, it's one from a double reveal, meaning we will get one anyways.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If someone were to claim the Coronavirus hurts a Resident Evil characters chance due to the association with the T virus, then yes that's directly using the pandemic for speculation on characters.

Stating that's exactly the same as speculation coming coming after a magazine article that talks about Smash delays seems like a bit of a stretch to me, but whatever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom