• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm going to overly optimistic and say we could still get a Mewtwo/Joker-style reveal that announces the character is coming and no gameplay info, especially with that heavily rumoured direct next week.

That being said, if it doesn't happen, there's no need to complain. Lives are at stake here.

By the way, I know this is borderline shouting into the void with how fast the thread is moving, but I hope everyone is doing well. I know a change this sudden can feel really scary and discomforting but it will come to pass.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I wonder if they'll delay the DLC as a whole or release the first couple of characters?

Because so far every presentation was recorded long in advance so the characters are no doubt in working order by now.

Gumshoe77

Banned via Warnings
Look at the bright side of this. Sakurai will finally get the break he absolutely needs. Dude should of had it long ago.

This can wait. Lives are more important and first.
Funny how you say this now, but you were literally going “ITS JUST A FLU BRO!!!” for the past couple of months before things took a turn for the worst.

Why did it have to take Smash development getting affected for you to take this situation seriously?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm going to overly optimistic and say we could still get a Mewtwo/Joker-style reveal that announces the character is coming and no gameplay info, especially with that heavily rumoured direct next week.

That being said, if it doesn't happen, there's no need to complain. Lives are at stake here.

By the way, I know this is borderline shouting into the void with how fast the thread is moving, but I hope everyone is doing well. I know a change this sudden can feel really scary and discomforting but it will come to pass.
I am personally trying my best to stay well, and I want to believe so far It has worked.

My biggest concern is in regards to the people who I tend to enjoy talking with online doh. Most are 20 years old or more and they are apparently likely to survive. But for some reason my mind keeps getting worried about them.

And yeah, I agree about the possibility of a Mewtwo style reveal.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Funny how you say this now, but you were literally saying “ITS JUST A FLU BRO!!!” for the past couple of months before things took a turn for the worst.

Why did it have to take Smash development getting affected for you to take this situation seriously?
It wasn't that. Once I heard about people beginning to stockpile and many places starting to close to stop the spread I knew this as getting serious.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
My biggest concern is in regards to the people who I tend to enjoy talking with online doh. Most are 20 years old or more and they are apparently likely to survive. But for some reason my mind keeps getting worried about them.

I wouldn't worry, the one consistent thing with the virus is that it mainly only kills old people. For most everyone else it's a really bad illness but nothing fatal so far.

I am concerned for my grandparents since they are in their late 80's but most people I know are ypung enough that they'll be fine.

It wasn't that. Once I heard about people beginning to stockpile and many places starting to close to stop the spread I knew this as getting serious.
Your more likely to die from the angry mob trying to buy toilet paper tbh.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No you didn't you only started 'taking this seriously' when multiple people called you out on dismissing the lives of the sick and elderly multiple times, including a few days ago and today

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
No you didn't you only started 'taking this seriously' when multiple people called you out on dismissing the lives of the sick and elderly multiple times, including a few days ago and today
I already told you that was bad wording on my part, something I'm not exactly good at? I never meant to come off as insensitive there. More the reason for me to work on that trying to think before posting.

Its something I wish I could take back. Of course I'm concerned for the well being of them as well especially my grandpa.

That's the unfortunate thing with me. I'm easily irritable.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I already told you that was bad wording on my part, something I'm not exactly good at? I never meant to come off as insensitive there. More the reason for me to work on that trying to think before posting.

Its something I wish I could take back. Of course I'm concerned for the well being of them as well especially my grandpa.

That's the unfortunate thing with me. I'm easily irritable.
Just remember:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Also, reminder to shift the conversation away a bit: Indies showcase starts within a minute from this post.

kylexv

Smash Master
I'd take the next fighter getting delayed over Sakurai and his team getting sick from the virus any day.
While unfortunate, this will be better in the long run.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
You know, I never thought I'd see "Cyanide & Happiness" and "Nintendo Exclusive" in the same sentence.
When Purple-shirted Eye Stabber for Smash?

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I am personally trying my best to stay well, and I want to believe so far It has worked.

I think that's completely natural to feel that way. Even if people will likely be unharmed, there's still the fear that someone you know and care about could be in that slim number of young people who contract it.

I think one of the best things to do in this situation is to find a productive pet project and build a schedule around it. It helps get you in touch with your circadian rhythm and does wonders for your mental health. Working on something artistic is great for this, but doing favours for and helping out others who may struggling is also great if you're not an artsy type.

D

Deleted member

I think that's completely natural to feel that way. Even if people will likely be unharmed, there's still the fear that someone you know and care about could be in that slim number of young people who contract it.

I think one of the best things to do in this situation is to find a productive pet project and build a schedule around it. It helps get you in touch with your circadian rhythm and does wonders for your mental health. Working on something artistic is great for this, but doing favours for and helping out others who may struggling is also great if you're not an artsy type.
I will consider trying out the pet project idea.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I know we're in a news drought, but can you guys atleast wait until the actual article is out to start panicking? I'm seeing people acting like we won't get anything until October now. We don't know what fighter he's even talking about. All Push's translation said was that he planned to talk with a third party publisher about something related to Smash, he even retweeted something about people misinterpreting what he's saying. Nothing about actual development being harmed.

D

Deleted member

The name of the game is patience.

Patience to wait for the full article to come out and clarify stuff.

And patience to see if we do get a general Direct next week.

The best thing to do right now is to not freak out or get extremely concerned about what could be going on... And just wait for official answers.

ZelDan

Smash Master
The news about Smash DLC development being delayed is very unfortunate but also understandable.

Honestly at this point I wouldn't even be upset if all we get is Joker-style/trailer-only reveals.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The news about Smash DLC development being delayed is very unfortunate but also understandable.

Honestly at this point I wouldn't even be upset if all we get is Joker-style/trailer-only reveals.
How clear was the delay though? For all we know we could be waiting until April-June tbh.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Japan doesn't have any domestic travel restriction laws though - only recommendations:

The Abe government pretty much revised said law though for this pandemic:

Chances are most Japanese companies are concentrated in Honshu, aka. Tokyo / Kyoto / Osaka and thus reachable by train / car. Thing is - the reccomendation could still hold a lot of weight.

It sounds like a non-Japanese publisher, but I'm not gonna say 100 % on that obviously.

Aside from those RileyXY1 RileyXY1 mentioned (Bethesda is headquatered in Maryland, Activision-Blizzard in California and Ubisoft in the eastern suburbs of Paris - all pretty hard hit) there's also Microsoft (Washington, the hardest hit state in the US). Most others are located in Silicon Valley or Washington (like Valve). A special mention goes to Riot Games - who is located in downtown LA but whose publisher Tencent is headquatered in Shenzhen.

No matter where you look the virus has hit pretty hard. So no, not narrowing down much I'm afraid.
If anyone here want a Fortnite character in Smash, I got bad news for you.
Epic Games is housed in the Raleigh area of North Carolina which already has at least 15 confirmed cases of the coronavirus.

I'm willing to wait out until this pandemic settles down.
Fighters' Pass Character 6 can wait; I'm more concerned with everyone else's safety.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

If Gen 8 gets an Pokemon rep in the roster anyone think it could be an Galar Trainer as this video proposed?

What do you guys think?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Oh boy another Youtube smash prediction video that has Sora, Crash, Geno, Dante, Rex etc, haven't seen that before. But this time it's a Galar Trainer added to the mix.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Oh boy another Youtube smash prediction video that has Sora, Crash, Geno, Dante, Rex etc, haven't seen that before. But this time it's a Galar Trainer added to the mix.
Yes, because it turns out some characters are more popular than others in Smash speculation, who could imagine that.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I learned from PapaGenos that there's a big rumor going around that Sony's looking to buy several Konami franchises.
Please be false false false. I don't wanna lose Snake, Simon, and Richter in Smash.
I love Castlevania, but I don't wanna buy a PlayStation to play it.
Ugh. **** Sony. They are a soulless corporation that only sees dollar signs. PlayStations are just inferior PCs with a bad controller. Why the **** is the left analog stick on the BOTTOM? That's so dumb and unergonomic. I even gave Nintendo hell for ****ing up the Wii U Pro Controller by putting the buttons on the bottom, but they fixed it with Switch. Why even own a PlayStation? It's not as powerful as a PC, but it's not portable like the Switch. Goddamn. Don't take my Castlevania away. Your last good console was the PSX, because consoles were fundamentally different in the 90s instead of being modified PCs nowadays. At least your games were different than the Nintendo 64, so I could enjoy them for what they were. Now you just pay off companies for exclusivity on your ****ty box. Boo! Either publish your games for multiple platforms or put some pride into your consoles like Nintendo.
Ugh. **** you, Sony. Don't you DARE take Castlevania from me!
**** CAPITALISM! SEIZE THE GODDAMNED MEANS OF PRODUCTION!
REVOLUTION!!!!!! :ultbrawler:

True to an extent, but Microsoft publishes their games on PC and has started to port them to Switch.
And Nintendo's IPs are made to take advantage of the new gimmicks of their console, so they would lose their certain "magic" if they were made primarily for other consoles.
Technically, all corporations are your enemies, but Sony is clearly the worst of the big 3.
So a company is better if they publish their games on the platform you own. I guess that following that point, Xbox and Playstation users can considerate Nintendo a bad company because they don't publish their games on Xbox or Playstation.
The second point doesn't make sense, it just seems a random argument to justify Nintendo not publishing first party games on other platforms while saying they're good.

A first party game won't be in other platforms, that's how it always worked, at least most of times. Not saying exclusive games are 100% a good thing, but you can't demand other companies to publish their games in your console. Having Halo, God of War or Super Mario games in one single platform isn't something that will happen, at least not soon. Having Cuphead or Ori on the Switch is an exception, not a rule.
Microsoft has shifted his view and decided to publish their games on PC. Sony did publish some games there, but it's clear that's not their main focus right now. That isn't bad or good, it's their view and it's as valid as Microsoft's or Nintendo's. Nintendo does the same, they don't publish first party games beyond their platforms, and the "magic" thing it's just stupid. Of course, having all games in a single platform is great for consumers, but there has to be a balance and is understandable that Sony and Nintendo want to keep their first party games on their consoles.

Every company wants money and all of them have done bad and questionable things in their history. I'm a fan of a lot of Nintendo IPs but that doesn't mean I will justify everything bad that Nintendo has done. Same for Microsoft and Sony, of course.

About your random rant: honestly, I think that a real fan of Metal Gear, Castlevania or Silent Hill would rather have new games before Snake or Simon in Smash, despite of how the fan loves Smash. I mean, I don't want Snake and Simon/Richter being cut from Smash, but if that's the prize for getting new games for Castlevania and MGS I'd gladly take that everyday.
Then, about PSOne being their last good console... I guess preferences and perspectives plays a big part on this, but c'mon. PS2 is one of the best consoles in history and there's no question. It's the best selling console of all time and has a massive library of games, with a lot of classics and masterpieces in almost every genre.
PS3 and PS4 are as well great consoles. You can say anything about Sony or their consoles, but their platforms have something that isn't guaranteed for a Microsoft/Nintendo console, and that's third party support. I mean, of course: Xbox and the Switch have a lot of third party games, but Playstation consoles so far always had the most support from them, it's strange to find a third party game not being published on Playstation if that game isn't exclusive to other platforms.

So in the end, with Playstation games you have the 99% of third party games if not the 100% (which means having the strongest support from the big western and japanese companies), their own library of first party games, and most of indie games. Everyone has different preferences but saying that the PS2, PS3 or PS4 were bad consoles it's just wrong, mate.

Last edited:

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220

If Gen 8 gets an Pokemon rep in the roster anyone think it could be an Galar Trainer as this video proposed?

What do you guys think?
I can't really see a Galar Trainer happening, mainly for two reasons. First, making a Galar Trainer would be triple the work load for just one character, and I just can't see them doing that for this game's DLC. It would be more reasonable to just add one Pokemon to rep Gen 8 instead of three plus a trainer model.

The other reason, all the stage one starters have spirits already, and assuming they do the stage 1 2 and 3 starters like they did with Kanto Trainer, there would be a spirit/fighter overlap.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I can't really see a Galar Trainer happening, mainly for two reasons. First, making a Galar Trainer would be triple the work load for just one character, and I just can't see them doing that for this game's DLC. It would be more reasonable to just add one Pokemon to rep Gen 8 instead of three plus a trainer model.

The other reason, all the stage one starters have spirits already, and assuming they do the stage 1 2 and 3 starters like they did with Kanto Trainer, there would be a spirit/fighter overlap.
However, that Spirit was all three combined as one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom