• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Ring Fit Trainer is the next victim.
on one hand, I'm sorry for all the ring fit fans seeing their series disconfirmed.

on the other...
a non-PMD spirit event does put a smile on my face.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman

Ring Fit Trainer is the next victim.
Well, that's one first-party character removed from speculation.
With this, we have... four Spirit events since Byleth, right?

I do wonder just how many we have left until December 2021. And how many of these will be third party...
Counting by the weeks, assuming we have a pattern of spirit then online tournament, then we would probably have maybe at least 40 or so spirit events, but there's also spirit events that entirely consist of spirits already present in the base game. Not sure about third-party however.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
NO NOT RING FIT

THEY WERE LEGIT STARTING TO GROW ON ME

as for e3... it was gonna happen eventually, massive pandemic or not

in an age where companies are simply announcing their stuff online out of the blue, a general expo like e3 always seemed kinda redundant to me

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I do wish these DLC Spirit event franchises like Resident Evil, Astral Chain, and Ring Fit, if nothing else, could at least get some Mii Costumes and maybe songs down the line so we could at least have some small semblance of playing as them. Obviously not the same as getting playable reps, but would be still better than just some PNGs.

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
You know, if nothing else, it would be nice for some of these Spirit deconfirmations to at least get Mii Fighter Costumes and maybe some music along with them as well, such as Resident Evil, Astral Chain, Ring Fit, so you could have some semblance of playing as them rather than just a PNG.
Agreed, that's honestly the thing I dread most about the spirit events. Characters in them were probably never going to be fully playable for one reason or another so I don't worry too much about that, but Mii Costumes would have been great for a lot of the characters. I wonder what the usual development time of a costume is... I wonder why they don't do more? Surely even if only a portion of the userbase buys them it would be a pretty big profit for (presumably) a more manageable amount of work?

I may or may not have bought all of them

Last edited:

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
I do wish these DLC Spirit event franchises like Resident Evil, Astral Chain, Ring Fit, if nothing else, could at least get some Mii Costumes and maybe songs down the line so we could at least have some small semblance of playing as them. Obviously not the same as getting playable reps, but would be still better than just some PNGs.
that would be nice.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I don't think so. The only time Sakurai ever 'replaced' a character was Young Link with Toon Link. But that was just a "expendable" clone character. Whereas WFT is a unique character that reps her own IP.
Nearly replaced Ness with Lucas

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I do wish these DLC Spirit event franchises like Resident Evil, Astral Chain, Ring Fit, if nothing else, could at least get some Mii Costumes and maybe songs down the line so we could at least have some small semblance of playing as them. Obviously not the same as getting playable reps, but would be still better than just some PNGs.
Do we really want to desecrate the corpse like that?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
R.I.P Ring Fit. I barely gave her any thought but she could have been at least interesting. As for the late March Direct, the reasoning is sound, but the thing is that we had rumors for a general direct for the past two months and those obviously did not come to fruition.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I kinda expect a Dragalia lost spirit event in the future tbh

oh frick i'd actually love a darkest dungeon spirit event tho, i love that game and i doubt we'd get a playable character but i just wanna see it represented in some form

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I also think that characters like Kratos and Master Chief are exceptions that prove the rule. Of course they don't have Nintendo appearances; what makes them so exciting is that they can't have any. They're the competition. Like Sonic, they have a strong Nintendo connection that doesn't have to encompass Nintendo games. They're the only characters I'd expect to see without any Nintendo appearance.
This is the point I was trying to make previously. Xbox and Playstation characters not having presence on Nintendo consoles it's... a natural thing, and not being on Nintendo platforms because they "can't" it's one of the reasons they would be exciting as newcomers.

Imagine if Smash existed during NES/SNES era. SEGA and Sonic were the competition for Nintendo. If during that time somehow SEGA offered Sonic to be in Smash, would Nintendo really decline the idea?
It isn't the exact same situation now, but I think anyone could get the idea.

Yeah. Spirits are better than nothing to begin with, but I'd prefer a Mii Costume, even if it looks ugly. Specially if it comes with a song. I mean, if they get the rights to put spirits for 3rd partys, I don't think there would be too much trouble for them in making a Mii Costume.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Or cheering in the case of Cuphead (and Sans... mostly?)
Those are literally the only two costumes that ever got positive cheers because they legit look like the characters and not some bootleg FunkoPop like all the other ones are.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Those are literally the only two costumes that ever got positive cheers because they legit look like the characters and not some bootleg FunkoPop like all the other ones are.
Your opinion. I've had people in my group cheer for Nakoruru, Veronica, and Altair, and I was quite happy to get Iori and Goemon

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Dunno if this will affect any character announcements, but thought it'd be worth sharing.
https://www.spieltimes.com/news/reports-e3-2020-canceled-official-announcement-soon/
Nintendo does Directs during E3, so they can still hold a presentation during the summer. It'll likely just be a general Direct instead of a special E3 presentation. Probably won't affect character announcements unless something happens.

Though when it comes to the other companies who are at E3, it'll be interesting to see. Maybe the other companies will have livestreams for their products. Curious about what Microsoft does since Series X is supposed to come out later this year. Same thing applies for Sony and the PS5.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Can't say a Ring Fit Adventure character was something I was hyped for, but oh well, R.I.P RFA and those that wanted a playable character from it.

One silver lining for me if it did get a character is we finally would have gotten a a new first party represented with a playable character. Only one we got in Ultimate so far is Splatoon, with every other first party rep being from an alreadp represented series...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
At least there are a number of new first-party series that have the potential to establish themselves further in the interim and then receive inclusion by the next Smash.

The pool of particularly visible first-parties has been narrowing, especially in terms of unrepresented series, so it's nice series like ARMS, Astral Chain, and Ring Fit achieved a level of success in which a future seems plausible. And that's just since the Switch began a few years ago.

During the whole Wii/Wii U age, new series that actually caught on (and were feasible for Smash) were rather illusive.

D

Deleted member

Ngl, I'm kind of glad Ring Fit isn't in. Never played her game (I've just watched videos), but she reminded me too much of Wii Fit Trainer in design to care about.

Plus the joke of a fitness trainer being a fighter was already done by Wii Fit herself. Nothing hooked me, unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I don’t mean to sound too enthusiastic, but now that Ring Fit has been game ended, there’s room for another potential movement-based fighter...
Just Dance is in.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm kind of sad with Ring fit disconfirmation tbh. I'm having a blast with the game and the game is pretty much a fitness/rpg so it would have fit pretty well in Smash I think. That being said I'm not surprised at all because every Switch new ip are not playable (Arms, Astral chain and now Ring fit).

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Do any of you think with all these concerns and panic revolving around coronavirus that it may affect the development of Fighter’s Pass 2?

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
At least there are a number of new first-party series that have the potential to establish themselves further in the interim and then receive inclusion by the next Smash.

The pool of particularly visible first-parties has been narrowing, especially in terms of unrepresented series, so it's nice series like ARMS, Astral Chain, and Ring Fit achieved a level of success in which a future seems plausible. And that's just since the Switch began a few years ago.

During the whole Wii/Wii U age, new series that actually caught on (and were feasible for Smash) were rather illusive.
That would actually mean something it wasn't for the fact they decide to put in characters who's games weren't even released, like Corrin and Byleth. Guess success doesn't really matter that much to be considered for Ultimate DLC.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Ngl, I'm kind of glad Ring Fit isn't in. Never played her game (I've just watched videos), but she reminded me too much of Wii Fit Trainer in design to care about.

Plus the joke of a fitness trainer being a fighter was already done by Wii Fit herself. Nothing hooked me, unfortunately.
Design I can agree with, but they'd probably be pretty different moveset-wise. Most of the attacks would probably come from the Ring itself (who is sentient), and if they had got in I feel like they'd be less of a joke character since they actually come from a game where you fight.

That would actually mean something it wasn't for the fact they decide to put in characters who's games weren't even released, like Corrin and Byleth. Guess success doesn't really matter that much to be considered for Ultimate DLC.
That post was very specifically about the next game, not DLC. Fire Emblem staying rent free, huh?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You'll notice I wasn't talking about DLC.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Do any of you think with all these concerns and panic revolving around coronavirus that it may affect the development of Fighter’s Pass 2?
Probably not. The main impediment is on the physical manufacturing side, and DLC doesn't have to contend with that.

If they bar people going to work perhaps, but I question whether we'd get to that level. And even if we do, Sakurai would probably still go to work anyway because he's insane and gives himself IV drips to keep working.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Design I can agree with, but they'd probably be pretty different moveset-wise. Most of the attacks would probably come from the Ring itself (who is sentient), and if they had got in I feel like they'd be less of a joke character since they actually come from a game where you fight.
That is true. Part of the joke with Wii Fit is she doesn't fight in-game, while Ring Fit could actually make sense as a fighter

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I don't know how big corporations deal with this sort of thing. But when Sakurai's gone to E3 to meet Smashers etc they've had people make sure others keep their distance so he doesn't get sick. I imagine that'll get taken up to 11 and they'll have strict sanitation requirements, maybe ways for some employees to work from home if needed.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
That post was very specifically about the next game, not DLC. Fire Emblem staying rent free, huh?
Oh please, like ARMS would even survive that long to make it to the next Smash Bros game. Next game ain't likely for another 5 to 7 years and Nintendo is ready to drop that series all together. It'll be like Golden Sun where it did well but not worth considering for Smash Bros.
Ring Fit Adventure might have a shaky future depending on what the next Nintendo console is due to how that game is only possible with the Joy-Con features, so it's probably a one and done series. So no real future for it in Smash Bros, especially with the upcoming Spirit Event.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh please, like ARMS would even survive that long to make it to the next Smash Bros game. Next game ain't likely for another 5 to 7 years and Nintendo is ready to drop that series all together. It'll be like Golden Sun where it did well but not worth considering for Smash Bros.
Ring Fit Adventure might have a shaky future depending on what the next Nintendo console is due to how that game is only possible with the Joy-Con features, so it's probably a one and done series. So no real future for it in Smash Bros, especially with the upcoming Spirit Event.
Good thing you aren't in charge of Nintendo if series that can sell 2 million on their first outing don't even get the chance for a follow-up.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
The difference primarily being that, similar to Pokémon, a new Fire Emblem game was likely to be a success. Fire Emblem Awakening reignited and expanded love for the IP, so Fates was very likely to sell..and it did, going on to become the best selling Fire Emblem at the time (though it also had two versions that people likely double dipped on a little bit rather than just buying the other as DLC)..so Fire Emblem Three Houses was likely to sell...which it did, becoming the best selling entry and the most well received entry in years by the entire fanbase.

Compare that to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Rex & Pyra. Xenoblade Chronicles wasn't the best selling game, nor was Xenoblade Chronicles X, so Nintendo didn't have much faith in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to sell as well as it ended up doing, so that is likely why the pair wasn't a DLC Fighter..they were too uncertain of their game actually selling based on past sales for the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom