• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
To be fair, Final Fantasy itself has a huge history with Nintendo. They just went with Cloud as an ambassador because he was by far the most popular character from that series.
If they were actually trying to use the entirety of Final Fantasy as a basis, the crossover would be X Final Fantasy, not X Final Fantasy 7

the crossover itself makes it sound like we aren't getting any other final fantasy characters ever lol

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
If they were actually trying to use the entirety of Final Fantasy as a basis, the crossover would be X Final Fantasy, not X Final Fantasy 7

the crossover itself makes it sound like we aren't getting any other final fantasy characters ever lol
Except Cloud only represents VII not Final Fantasy as a whole.
That would probably be because FF's representation in general is completely and utterly ****ed due to Square-Enix (or just their FF department).

Sakurai said the intention with Cloud was to bring in a representative for Final Fantasy.

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

Final Fantasy is one of the few uniquely Japanese game series revered by players around the world. I think fans across the globe have hoped a character from one of those series would appear in Smash, so it was only a matter of time. At the same time, there are only so many big-name titles we can work with at this point—mainly because we’ve covered most of those bases. Aside from the major globally-recognized franchises already featured in Smash, there really aren’t that many left.
And within the FF franchise, Cloud is without question the most popular choice. A number of people fixate on the fact his original game was never released on a Nintendo console, but if we were to limit our choices to characters who appeared on a Nintendo console, we’d end up with Bartz from FFV or the Onion Knight from FFIII—how would that work? Maybe they could change jobs or something… Actually, that would be kind of interesting (laughs).
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/

This isn’t an exact number, but among the requests for a Final Fantasy character to appear in Smash, around ¼ to ⅓ of the requests we got from fans were for Cloud. [TN1] I really wanted to answer the desires of those fans, and even though I thought it would be impossible, I reached out anyway, just to try.
But on the other hand, if you think about who to add from Final Fantasy, it’s hard to come up with a choice that’s not Cloud. We could have used Terra or Bartz, protagonists in their own right, but I feel like there would be some people who wouldn’t know who those characters are.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That would probably be because FF's representation in general is completely and utterly ****ed due to Square-Enix (or just their FF department).

Sakurai said the intention with Cloud was to bring in a representative for Final Fantasy.

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/
If Square is as stingy as they are why did we get:ulthero:then may I ask?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We're still waiting for that one SE franchise that's on the same level as other third-parties.

Still no English VAs, still no remixes.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
dude we got hero with ****ing midi sound files don't talk :nifty:
That's less Square and more Sugiyama to be fair.

"B-but they appeared in side game or on Nintendo DS? Their series had presence on Nintendo!!"

Meanwhile ignore Minecraft skin...
Joker is the main protagonist of Q2 which is a canonical interquel. It's not as important as a numbered title but I wouldn't brush it off as something like shoverware just because people didn't play it.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Being overshadowed by Geno didn't stop Heroes from getting in.
Except Lara Croft from what I recall despite being the icon she is isn't really that demanded compared to the likes of those two.

Also an Dragon Quest rep was massively requested in Japan for obvious reasons alongside its popularity and legacy for JRPG.

Last edited:

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
We're still waiting for that one SE franchise that's on the same level as other third-parties.

Still no English VAs, still no remixes.
I mean, the no English VA dilemma is entirely NoA's fault for not supporting Union Voice actors.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean, the no English VA dilemma is entirely NoA's fault for not supporting Union Voice actors.
Didn’t Cloud’s VO change lately for Remake too? Steve Burton retired his role as Cloud a while back

Faso115

Smash Lord
Didn’t Cloud’s VO change lately for Remake too? Steve Burton retired his role as Cloud a while back
It's not much better because the new one is a TV actor and i doubt they would actually add new voiceover to Cloud

But you never know

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Except Lara Croft from what I recall despite being the icon she is isn't really that demanded compared to the likes of those two.

Also an Dragon Quest rep was massively requested in Japan for obvious reasons alongside its popularity and legacy for JRPG.
Id gladly take Lara Croft over Geno. Technically over Sora too but I know a lot of people he's important to. Lara should be in though, she's one of the last major icons from the 90s missing, is still more or less revelent, and has a movie.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I adore Animal Crossing, but to be honest I think New Horizons is being over-hyped, not that it doesn't look absolutely amazing game but life sims aren't for everybody.

If you don't care for Animal Crossing you're out of luck as a Nintendo fan right now. Hopefully a direct will amend that soon...
A similar situation happened for non Smash fans before Ultimate's release, specially during E3 2018.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Id gladly take Lara Croft over Geno. Technically over Sora too but I know a lot of people he's important to. Lara should be in though, she's one of the last major icons from the 90s missing, is still more or less revelent, and has a movie.
Same she more then earns it. Both she and Crash for the same reasons.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
She has multiple movies. I think it's about 3.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet
"The latest Nintendo Direct announced their exciting collaboration" wtf

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I'm fine with just japanese voices because the more "anime" the character looks, the worse it sounds in english to me - just wish I could change the voices without having to change the whole game to japanese :/

Julius Belmont
Gothitelle
I don't know... Sonic the Werehog?
Correct!
Wrong - look at the other Pokemon mentioned
Wrong - The name is the key :)

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think the "direct" part in the Lego announcement is an error because I don't remember ever seeing non game announcement in a direct, so even if there was a direct I doubt they would talk about Lego.

SKX31

Smash Master
I think the "direct" part in the Lego announcement is an error because I don't remember ever seeing non game announcement in a direct, so even if there was a direct I doubt they would talk about Lego.
OTOH, the "Lego X" games (such as Lego Harry Potter / Lego Batman) have been a thing for 10+ years now, so a Lego Super Mario Bros. is not out of the question.

(EDIT: Just remembered that Lego Dimensions exists. Since that game featured Sonic and Portal as crossover packs, SMB is fair game.)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If we get an actual Super Mario Lego video game, that would be pretty hype. I bet Mario would switch between the short and long Lego legs whenever he gets a Super Mushroom.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
That page got changed btw

Hey do you guys also know what day of the week it is?

Spirit Board/Event! Lets see who might fall!
Maybe not?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...thing-to-report.167866/page-318#post-29734669

Just a heads up to warn everyone that there might not be an event this week. The second (Japan-only) Online Challenge is being held this weekend, and there was no spirit board or tourney event on the week of the previous one.

Or, like Smash fans do best, I might be getting ahead of myself by assuming that this is a set pattern when we've only had one example so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom