• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That page got changed btw

Even if we do get a Direct, I don't think Nintendo would bring this up unless it was a video game or somehow tied in with video games like amiibo.

Today's now or never for Grovyle. Either his series falls to the spirit event or he ascr
No one is safe. Peachette randomly got added by herself several months after her debut. Astral Chain wasn't added until this year.

D

Deleted member

I know Bayonetta was also an M rated, but having played the first, it's mostly fighting against cartoon angels that die in an explosion of light particles. I guess it was an issue with the guns themselves, but the rest didn't have to change much, there wasn't as much gore as far as I recall. And the character herself doesn't look like she's about to gut someone or exterminate a species with a machine gun.
Ah yes. Bayonetta totally doesn't gore people and is just a funny lady with guns.

zferolie

Smash Hero
That page got changed btw

They page getting changes is very suspicious. They wouldnt have had something mentioning a direct if there was never a direct, because of people would need to approve it. So i think that first page was meant to go up after the direct.

D

Deleted member

Man we have all this evidence for a direct this month but no direct.

20200310_094400.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
LEGO and Nintendo eh? I can already see us shifting from arguing over a children’s party game to arguing over toys.

“Why does Fire Emblem get 4 LEGO sets when DK only gets 2!”
Ah **** Lego Fire Emblem would actually be sick as a set and a game. I need a Lego set of Garreg Mach, pronto.

D

Deleted member

The announcements will be done but the direct will never happen.
If anything, this literally is a soft announcement of a direct. So this confirms we're getting a direct before E3. That sounds no-****, but some people here literally worried about that for some reason.

scaPEGoat ~

Smash Cadet
The announcements will be done but the direct will never happen.
If anything, this literally is a soft announcement of a direct. So this confirms we're getting a direct before E3. That sounds no-****, but some people here literally worried about that for some reason.
It seems that someone has already posted and speculate for the day 03/26 that Nintendo Direct may happen. But it is better not to believe the only truth at the moment is that there will be no Nintendo Direct until March 20, Animal Crossing launch

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Maybe a direct was originally scheduled for today but Nintendo decided to delay it for X reasons, that could explain the mistake from Game's website

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It must be. When was the last time Intern-kun got something wrong?
Leaking the SNK copyright for FP4 (turned out to be Terry), and before that, accidentally naming the Galaga song Bloody Tears which soft confirmed Simon (and Richter)

D

Deleted member

I wonder if that page’s slip-up is proof of a delayed Direct.,.
It isn't. Remember back to Terry and how SNK content was leaked on a Nintendo page a couple days before he was revealed. Did people use that to claim Terry was delayed?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Even if we do get a Direct, I don't think Nintendo would bring this up unless it was a video game or somehow tied in with video games like amiibo.

No one is safe. Peachette randomly got added by herself several months after her debut. Astral Chain wasn't added until this year.
I know, but most of the games that got spirit events got them rather close to their release (including LGPE and SWSH). If PMD doesn't get one this week, I'll consider it mostly in the clear.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think the "direct" part in the Lego announcement is an error because I don't remember ever seeing non game announcement in a direct, so even if there was a direct I doubt they would talk about Lego.
To play devil's advocate, Nintendo literally ended off the E3 2015 Direct with a montage of people dancing to the Mario theme.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm of the opinion now that if we do get an direct this month it'll be after the release of the new Animal Crossing. Its an very anticipated game many are looking forward to so Nintendo wants all their fans eyes on that right now until it releases.

So I suspect the 26th we could see our direct otherwise if not this month E3 we might be waiting as April will be too close to it.

Tora_Toad

Smash Rookie
Who do you think will be revealed at E3???
It's going to be big, they will need to top Banjo from last year. I'm not sure, but I think Sora might happen. Just like last year, possibly two characters. Bandanna dee first, and Sora at the end of the direct. That is if the corona virus doesn't cancel E3. Captain Toad, Bandanna Dee, Rayman and rex and pyra would all be good strating characters, while they would finish with Master chief or Sora.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It isn't. Remember back to Terry and how SNK content was leaked on a Nintendo page a couple days before he was revealed. Did people use that to claim Terry was delayed?
So either it’s a mistake and they assumed Nintendo was showing it in a Direct, the Direct was delayed, or the Direct is this week.

I just thought maybe it was delayed because it was weird to say “direct” and then they changed what it said, as if it was meant to be in a Direct. Maybe it was? idk.

edit: nvm actually the mistake wasn’t from Nintendo or LEGO themselves (or anyone involved with them outside of maybe news reporting) so it likely was a mistake and there is no Direct.

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that'd happen. She's still a character that's solely for the Dragon Ball franchise, just like some of those Xenoverse villains. Whereas Sora was made with his own game franchise in mind, just that its one that crosses over with different Disney and other Square stuff.
Just saying that in the world of possibilities a tv/movie franchise character is still possible provided they are sufficiently based in videogames.
At any rate that seems to be splitting hairs. Sora is dressed up in the first game to look like Mickey. He's not really his own thing when the franchise is rooted in Disney franchises as much as dragonball game villains are rooted in dragon ball.

Kingdom Hearts might feature Mickey Mouse, but it's not a Mickey Mouse game, if that makes sense.
Not really. In the first kh mickey didn't even come out till the end and was just a silhouette.

D

Deleted member

I just thought maybe it was delayed because it was weird to say “direct” and then they changed what it said, as if it was meant to be in a Direct. Maybe it was? idk.
I mean, that's exactly what happened with Terry. Site had an SNK trademark, and then they immediately removed it when it caught on.

Not to rag on you, of course. Just getting tired of the whole "coronavirus delayed the direct" stuff when there's precedent to believe otherwise.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I mean, that's exactly what happened with Terry. Site had an SNK trademark, and then they immediately removed it when it caught on.
That’s true; for some reason I thought the situation was a little different, but no it’s the same.

However, the error isn’t from Nintendo or Lego themselves, but a retailer or something, so maybe it was just an intern or someone who has the wait for a Direct on their mind. This might be why I thought it felt different tbh, but it was pointed out in another thread that they likely wouldn’t be in the know. Idk though.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
LEGO and Nintendo eh? I can already see us shifting from arguing over a children’s party game to arguing over toys.

“Why does Fire Emblem get 4 LEGO sets when DK only gets 2!”
I wish Donkey Kong would've gotten as many steady releases as Fire Emblem did. If we did, Dixie might've been in Smash for a long time now.

It works both ways you know. Fire Emblem has grown massively since appearing in Smash, Donkey Kong the opposite. Whereas Smash 64 could've easily afforded to have both DK and Diddy playable due to its stardom at the time, am not surprised that we've only gotten K.Rool after years of massive campaigning. Compare that to Fire Emblem, where only the most popular new characters from the most critical acclaimed games gotten in, and **** makes a lot of sense

I'm a fan of both game franchises. While I'd love to see more DKC characters, specifically Dixie, it's just not as obvious if Nintendo doesn't help with steady releases.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
To people saying Master Chief can't get in because of lack of Nintendo history.

Ahem...

:ultcloud::ultjoker:
To be fair, both Final Fantasy and SMT have had large histories and establishments on Nintendo systems and :ultcloud::ultjoker: were chosen as their series respective reps because they were the most popular within their own series. Both of those character have also made actual appearances within their own series on Nintendo systems, spinoffs or not. Not saying he's 100% impossible (if we get a Halo game on Switch his chances jump tenfold) , but there is a difference.
"B-but they appeared in side game or on Nintendo DS? Their series had presence on Nintendo!!"

Meanwhile ignore Minecraft skin...
Side games are still games. Being on a portable system doesn't diminish a character's appearance. Of course with the Minecraft skin that does put Master Chief above characters like Kratos, but until we get an actual Halo game, spinoff or not, on a Nintendo system, there's still a difference between characters like him and :ultcloud::ultjoker: who have countless Final Fantasy games and the Persona Q series/SMT Nintendo titles to their series' name

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Maybe I'm crazy but "gatekeeping" certain characters such as Master Chief, Kratos or any Xbox/PlayStation character only because they didn't appeared on Nintendo platforms seems absurd to me. Of course, having your games on the Switch always will help, but I don't imagine Nintendo and Sakurai being approached by Sony and Microsoft, both offering their biggest characters for Smash, only for Sakurai to be like "wow, would be so big and exciting to have Kratos and Chief... oh, yeah... the Switch doesn't have any God of War or Halo games. What a shame, I can't put them in the game"

In other words, these characters would definitely be the exception to the "must be on Nintendo consoles in some form", if that's even a rule for Nintendo. Sometimes I think some folks aren't really aware that having a Xbox or Playstation character in Smash would be ****ing crazy. Smash is the biggest gaming crossover, put any Microsoft/Sony character in there and you're making history.

Maybe Sakurai would prove me wrong but I'm really that sure that if he had the chance to put Chief or Kratos in the game he would do it, specially if he wants to keep expanding Ultimate as the definitive crossover, and there's no better way to do it than having a guest character from Xbox or PlayStation.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Considering Persona Q2 and Shin Megami Tensei in general have zero content in Smash in Joker's Challenger Pack, I think it's pretty clear that neither of those were factors for Joker's consideration.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Considering Persona Q2 and Shin Megami Tensei in general have zero content in Smash in Joker's Challenger Pack, I think it's pretty clear that neither of those were factors for Joker's consideration.
I wouldnt be opposed to having PQ2s boss theme Nothing Is Promised in Smash honestly

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Of course, having your games on the Switch always will help, but I don't imagine Nintendo and Sakurai being approached by Sony and Microsoft, both offering their biggest characters for Smash, only for Sakurai to be like "wow, would be so big and exciting to have Kratos and Chief... oh, yeah... the Switch doesn't have any God of War or Halo games. What a shame, I can't put them in the game"
I don't see Sony or Microsoft ever approaching Nintendo to put their biggest characters in the game to begin with, but even ignoring that, Nintendo is the one that chooses the characters, so they would be the ones to have to go to other companies to ask for their characters, not the other way around. So that situation you described is impossible in multiple ways.

I know your saying that fake quote in sarcasm but that is one hundred percent a valid reason for not putting them in the game. Sakurai even said so himself one time that it would be a nice courtesy for characters to at least have some Nintendo appearance. I mean people use that to exclude non video game characters all the time.

"wow, would be so big and exciting to have Goku and Mickey Mouse... oh, yeah... their not video game characters. What a shame, I can't put them in the game".

Doesn't sound so silly anymore right? (Not that the original one sounded silly). And as I said before Nintendo would be the ones approaching other companies, not the other way around.

I mean just because they don't have any direct content in the game doesn't mean we know that they had absolutely zero influence whatsoever. The more they worked with the company before the more it probably does at least increase a character's chances a little due to prior connections.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
I know your saying that fake quote in sarcasm but that is one hundred percent a valid reason for not putting them in the game. I mean people use that to exclude non video game characters all the time.

"wow, would be so big and exciting to have Goku and Mickey Mouse... oh, yeah... their not video game characters. What a shame, I can't put them in the game".

Doesn't sound so silly anymore right? (Not that the original one sounded silly). And as I said before Nintendo would be the ones approaching other companies, not the other way around.
It still sounds ****ing ridiculous because you're comparing video game characters in a crossover dedicated to gaming as a whole to non-video game characters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey so even if we don’t get a direct announcement today, Wednesday is for certain. Plus they goofed with that casual “Direct in the future” hint so...

proof:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It still sounds ****ing ridiculous because you're comparing video game characters in a crossover dedicated to gaming as a whole to non-video game characters.
Yeah, I'm showing how simply saying a fake quote in sarcasm doesn't automatically invalidate the argument to begin with. How exactly does making a quote where Sakurai doesn't want to put non video game characters in sound ridiculous when he himself has said that multiple times?

I'm comparing video game characters [that never appeared on a Nintendo console ever] in a crossover dedicated to gaming as a whole [but still published and developed by Nintendo and focused on Nintendo characters that happens to include a lot of guest star icons that all still have at least some link to Nintendo] to non-video game characters.
FTFY

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom