• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
...and he was clearly talking about Banjo & Kazooie, despite the Pac-Man emoji.
Honestly thought it was a joke, given that all the myriad Pac-Man sequels and spinoffs have pretty much been swept by the wayside and all people remember Pac-Man for is the original arcade game.
And I guess thanks to Smash, Pac-Land.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Sakurai met Yoko Taro for the first time on Christmas Day of last year which is after the lineup of FP2 has been decided. Sakurai only met Yoko's wife before that.
That's a bummer. I guess there's still a possibility Sakurai only needed the permission of someone at Square and he and Taro had indirect communication prior to that, but I don't know if he would do that for actual Japanese developers.

Major hit to 2B's chances, which is too bad.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I just saw this while searching for Nintendo direct results.
Can anyone confirm the veracity of this?
Was this already discussed and is it fake like I think it is :p
He says he doesn't know if this is possible with mods but if I had to guess. Yeah I think it's fake, there's ways to attach floating geometry to characters and it's not even that hard. Whether or not that is what happened here? Well I guess we'll see.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
He says he doesn't know if this is possible with mods but if I had to guess. Yeah I think it's fake, there's ways to attach floating geometry to characters and it's not even that hard. Whether or not that is what happened here? Well I guess we'll see.
It’s literally a photoshopped frame from 2B’s Soul Calibur 6 trailer

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I have this weird OCD in that I want Samurai Goroh as a second F-Zero rep over Black Shadow, on the basis that he's one of the only characters in the Melee intro not yet playable and has had consistent Assist Trophy showings since then.
Given Ganondorf's sword in Ultimate, I think Goroh would be a suitable candidate for inheriting the moveset or becoming a semiclone in a future game.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
You have no way of knowing that.

Echo fighters don't waste slots. That's the entire point of them.
Black Shadow would be wasting an echo slot, a slot that could go to someone from a series that matters, like Octoling, Tom Nook, or Galacta Knight. He's not even the best choice for a Falcon echo - that goes to Blaziken from Pokemon

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Sakurai met Yoko Taro for the first time on Christmas Day of last year which is after the lineup of FP2 has been decided. Sakurai only met Yoko's wife before that.
This does not bode well for 2B's chances...

Was never sure if she was going to get in but I think this deconfirms her if they've never talked before that live stream.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Black Shadow would be wasting an echo slot, a slot that could go to someone from a series that matters, like Octoling, Tom Nook, or Galacta Knight.
Ah, now we've come to the crux of the matter. Which is just that YOU don't want Black Shadow.

Which is fine, but that's only your personal preference. Don't pretend like your made up reasons actually hold weight.

He's not even the best choice for a Falcon echo - that goes to Blaziken from Pokemon
Echo fighter not being from the same series as the character they're echoing is trash take.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Imagine

You get to name whatever 6 characters you want for fighter pass 2, but the first 3 characters have to be non-specific nouns like they were in the first fighter pass (Joker, Hero, Banjo)

I'll start:

Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
Zero (Mega Man X)
Waluigi
Doom Slayer
Dante

Death(Darksiders)
Lightning(Final Fantasy)
NIGHTS(Nights into Dream)
Lloyd Irving/Velvet Crowe(Tales)
Dante(Devil May Cry)
Sol Badguy(Guilty Gear)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Black Shadow would be wasting an echo slot, a slot that could go to someone from a series that matters, like Octoling, Tom Nook, or Galacta Knight. He's not even the best choice for a Falcon echo - that goes to Blaziken from Pokemon
Lmao cross series echo with a pokemon that isn't even relevant.

Yall forgot Blood Falcon existed that easily, huh.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
unnamed.jpg

Maybe I think Octolings and Tom Nook are a waste of an echo slot. At least Black Shadow has the potential to use Smash 4 Ganondorf's moveset.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m lately warming up to the idea of Octoling as a semi clone actually

using a few different weapons like chargers, dualies, splatlings etc

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Echo fighter not being from the same series as the character they're echoing is trash take.
We shouldn't exclude good characters due to flimsy reasons like that.
Lmao cross series echo with a pokemon that isn't even relevant.
Better to have been relevant at one point than never relevant, like Black Shadow. Besides, Blaziken is one of the most iconic generation 3 Pokemon - it was one of the first Pokemon to get a mega and it was one of the first reveals in Pokken. And it's spirit battle actally uses Falcon.

Sorry to double post, but nobody else was posting and I have no other choice. I apologise to Idon Idon , DarthEnderX DarthEnderX , and any other F-Zero fans for being so angry towards your series. I sat down, calmed down, and realized how irrationally angry I was getting over people wanting Black Shadow over Blaziken.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpaceCrystal

Smash Cadet
In terms of who's getting in as DLC, I'm thinking of the following:
  • Klonoa (who used to be Namco's 2nd mascot after Pac-Man),
  • Arle Nadja (an actual puzzle character; Dr. Mario isn't it, plus we can have an actual female character),
  • Ryu Hayabusa (given that Koei Tecmo hasn't had anyone yet, plus he would represent both Ninja Gaiden & Dead or Alive),
  • & one character from Pokémon Sword & Shield (if Byleth is any indication, as he's from a recent Fire Emblem game).

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
In terms of who's getting in as DLC, I'm thinking of someone like Klonoa, Arle Nadja, Ryu Hayabusa, & one character from Pokémon Sword & Shield, if Byleth is any indication, as he's from a recent Fire Emblem game.
Why on earth do you think Nintendo would select Klonoa, lol

He doesn't even have any games on Switch (or like, anywhere) coming up, and he most certainly isn't a heavily demanded character like Banjo was.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Why on earth do you think Nintendo would select Klonoa, lol

He doesn't even have any games on Switch (or like, anywhere) coming up, and he most certainly isn't a heavily demanded character like Banjo was.
This, and also Klonoa is Namco character. Tekken and Tales of have way more chance than him, and at some extent I think even Xenosaga and Taiko no Tatsujin would have more chance.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
In terms of who's getting in as DLC, I'm thinking of someone like Klonoa, Arle Nadja, Ryu Hayabusa, & one character from Pokémon Sword & Shield, if Byleth is any indication, as he's from a recent Fire Emblem game.
I get Ryu Hayabusa (it's a long running franchise, and Koei-Tecmo has been involved in a ton of Nintendo games since the Wii U), and maybe the Pokemon (though we didn't get a new Pokemon character in Smash 4's DLC - not much to go on, though), but why the others?

Klonoa seems pretty obscure compared to Namco-Bandai's many, MANY other options (Heihachi, KOS-MOS, Lloyd Irving, Nightmare from Soul Calibur, the Prince from Katamari Damacy, any number of alternative Tekken or Tales of characters, etc.), and Arle Nadja seems even more obscure than that. (if not for Smash speculation, and Jon from GameXplain seeming obligated to bring her up every time they discuss Smash characters, people would likely have no idea who that is)

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm gonna be honest, I did not realize Klonoa was a real character from a video game until now. I honestly thought they were the Smashified guy's Sonic OC.
How were those games?

SpaceCrystal

Smash Cadet
I get Ryu Hayabusa (it's a long running franchise, and Koei-Tecmo has been involved in a ton of Nintendo games since the Wii U), and maybe the Pokemon (though we didn't get a new Pokemon character in Smash 4's DLC - not much to go on, though), but why the others?

Klonoa seems pretty obscure compared to Namco-Bandai's many, MANY other options (Heihachi, KOS-MOS, Lloyd Irving, Nightmare from Soul Calibur, the Prince from Katamari Damacy, any number of alternative Tekken or Tales of characters, etc.), and Arle Nadja seems even more obscure than that. (if not for Smash speculation, and Jon from GameXplain seeming obligated to bring her up every time they discuss Smash characters, people would likely have no idea who that is)
I edited my post about my choices earlier, & they're in parenthesis.

1.) For one reason why I haven't chose Heihachi, is because we already have two Karate fighters being Ryu & Ken (three if Mii Fighter is counted), plus his moveset will be quite hard to implement (given why he wasn't playable on Smash 4 in the first place).

To really do him justice, you would have to implement strings, which they're not gonna do. But just having a generic version of him with EWGF and hellsweeps and all that is very possible. I don't think he brings a lot of interesting things to the table. He really wouldn't bring a lot of complexity either. You also couldn't do justice to having 4 different button inputs for two hands and two feet.

2.) Bandai Namco would rather avoid the war between Symphonia & Vesperia fans by not choosing a character from either series by going with either Floyd Irving or Yuri Lowell by picking someone else other than anyone from the tales series.

3.) KOS-MOS could have the opportunity as well, though I'm quite sure that they'll probably have to go through Monolith Soft. And Nintendo's kind of unpredictable when it comes to roster choices.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*undergoes mental gymnastics* I mean it's not like Sakurai would approach Yoko Taro to negotiate for 2B when Nintendo are calling the shots :4pacman:

In all seriousness, that's pretty surprising to hear. While it's practically impossible for Sakurai to have met every Japanese developer across the country ever, I would've thought he and Yoko Taro would've met at least once before the stream.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Hold up.

While I don't think the meeting or timing thereof means anything...the second part is fun.

I'm gonna reach for once in my life and ask you all to consider that Yoko Taro's wife does all the art for the Taiko no Tatsujin series.

DON-CHAN CONFIRMED DRUM GANG WHERE YOU AT

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Honestly, I don't think that's really a deconfirmation or anything. It doesn't help, but not meeting in person doesn't mean they couldn't had interacted in other ways.
I mean maybe I'm missing something but I don't think Sakurai visited Square Enix HQ frequently while working on Hero, to say something.

And while Yoko Taro is of course the creator, even if he gave permission to Sakurai to use 2B in Smash, the final decision is up to Square Enix as a company because they own the character. I mean, Nomura and Sakurai are friends AFAIK and yet we don't have any FF7 spirits when Nomura was the main designer of that game.
Also, obviously it wouldn't be the first time for Sakurai and Nintendo to negotiate for a Square character, so if they want 2B (or Geno, Lara Croft, etc) I guess they would probably start things talking with someone else at Square Enix, probably a high executive like Yosuke Saito. It doesn't have to start with Yoko Taro himself.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Hold up.

While I don't think the meeting or timing thereof means anything...the second part is fun.

I'm gonna reach for once in my life and ask you all to consider that Yoko Taro's wife does all the art for the Taiko no Tatsujin series.

Long has Don-Chan been in the shadows, waiting for the right time to strike...

3rk120.gif

... the sound of wardrums grow ever closer

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I'm gonna be honest, I did not realize Klonoa was a real character from a video game until now. I honestly thought they were the Smashified guy's Sonic OC.
How were those games?
The Klonoa games are god damn precious. Very cute and unique 2D platformers that deserved way more attention than they ended up getting. Highly recommend checking them out!
Sadly he has pretty much no chance of becoming a fighter but I'd love to at least see him get a Mii Costume once/if we get a Namco character.

Dinoman96

Smash Master

Puyo Puyo is legitimately a popular IP, even if only really in Japan.

If Terry can be playable, I'm not sure what the hang up over Arle is.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I find it very unlikely that 2B was chosen without Sakurai consulting and meeting Yoko Taro beforehand. While it's not a clear deconfirmation, it heavily affects 2B's likelihood. 2B was never a frontrunner character compared to all of the popularly discussed characters. Hell, she's not even the frontrunner of her own company and their stacked franchises. When it comes to fan popularity there's Geno and Sora. When it comes to pure sales and legacy Lara beats her out. This recent piece of information doesn't kill 2B but it only lowers her chances even further.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
How were those games?
The games were good, but sadly Klonoa was never able to reach the spotlight. It feels like one of these series that has a unique charm, the passion from the team is there, the guys at Namco liked it... but the audience wasn't there. It remained a niche game. But I really recommend trying them out for yourself. I think Klonoa is a relatively simple game in concept, yet there's nothing quite like it at the same time.

Sadly, I really don't see the cabbit boy making it anytime soon. Unless somehow all 6 characters in Season 2 were from Namco, but that's not happening.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sakurai not meeting Yoko Taro until Christmas is interesting. Few things though:

1) Sakurai not meeting Yoko Taro himself until then doesn’t necessarily mean that 2B is out. It depends on the time line of development. If 2B isn’t in the pass until Pick 4, they wouldn’t be discussing moveset concepts now when they’re working on picks 1-3 for the next 8 months or so. All they would have had to finalize is the acquisition of the licensing, hypothetically.

2) I may have posted a few comments about her and concepts she could pick up, but I don’t think a single person has ever said she’s a lock. I know I certainly haven’t. Not really looking to throw stones here, but if what I personally posted is “saying she’s a lock” what does that make plenty of folks saying we’re “getting spirit upgrades”? That’s not fair to either side to suggest folks are calling them both “locks”.

That’s all I have for now, but I think it’s hasty to say she’s out. Call it bias if you want, but to be fair I was willing to call that 2B leak fake almost immediately upon seeing it. I’m not just blindly believing things because it’s a character I want.

Last edited:

Hikraki

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
HIK#203
Switch FC
SW-5687-9628-3383
Hold up.

Don chan is a Mario Kart rep

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I find it very unlikely that 2B was chosen without Sakurai consulting and meeting Yoko Taro beforehand. While it's not a clear deconfirmation, it heavily affects 2B's likelihood. 2B was never a frontrunner character compared to all of the popularly discussed characters. Hell, she's not even the frontrunner of her own company and their stacked franchises. When it comes to fan popularity there's Geno and Sora. When it comes to pure sales and legacy Lara beats her out. This recent piece of information doesn't kill 2B but it only lowers her chances even further.
It's disappointing but I agree with the logic here.

Krankees

Smash Ace
This is probably a stupid question but does Don Chan have any original music from the games to be put into smash?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The leaks always ALWAYS have to take the crappiest of pictures in the CRAPPIEST of qualities.
That's what gets me, it's not hard to take pictures of modern screens. I've been using them for study in lieu of writing up notes.

Like, they go out of their way to make them look as potato as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom